• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social DGames Social | V/LA |

Kantrip

Kantplay
Yeah that quiz placed me in the Northwest with Seattle being the darkest, so that was accurate.

Firefly and Kitty-corner gave me away.

Kantrip

Kantplay
Canadians are gonna be placed where they are on the east-west axis while probably being as far north as possible while having a number of questions they didn't have an answer for.

Europeans doing that would be interesting though.

#HBC | Dark Horse

Mach-Hommy x Murakami
Whoa. I had no idea Devil's Night was such a Michigan thing. Basically everyone in the mitten call's the night before Halloween Devil's Night, and then the rest of the country is just dark blue.
You should have seen my face when I got to the question about sandwiches.

#HBC | ѕoup

The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.
i got my router taken away from me (which is fair because i was borrowing it) but i managed to tether my phone so i still have internet even if it's slow as **** but im not complaining it's internet

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Would be interested to see where a Canadian/European/whatever else we have back here Dgamer would get placed on that map.
A lot of the terms that are asked for are unfamiliar to me - I probably couldn't answer most of them tbh.

:059:

#HBC | Nabe

Beneath it all, he had H-cups all along
Can't breathe, but the view is equal to the taste
Would be interested to see where a Canadian/European/whatever else we have back here Dgamer would get placed on that map.
Detroit for me. Makes sense, given that it's the city grinding against Southwest Ontario's ****.

And curiously enough, my ex-girlfriend's tiny little hometown in middle-of-nowhere MA shows up as the city least like my dialect. Opposites attract.

Handorin

Smash Hero
http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...0004j1082000088000104j80k00800000050004&_r=2&

This is the second time I've taken it, but the results are similar. Last time it was centered around St. Louis. This time it put a city out in SoCal. I usually get interesting results because my parents are from California, so despite being raised in the South, I took on their accent. I know many of the terms used in the South, but I don't like them, so I don't use them and use midwestern/west coast terms I hear. That being said, there are some things that I use interchangeably that they wouldn't let me say I do. ie Aunt like caught or ant, garage or yard sale, and those things I use interchangeably can be more telling of the South.

BSL

B-B-B-BLAMM!!!
NNID
bsl883
3DS FC
3308-4560-2744
I did it once and it put Baton Rouge, New Orleans, and Jackson MS, which is pretty dang accurate.

Jdietz43

BRoomer
BRoomer
Okay, but they do the same thing at the McDonald's in the midwest (or at least around my specific vicinity in the midwest) and we still don't call everything "coke."

I get how it's a company thing. I don't get how it's a regional thing.

sidebar: I watched a couple of episodes of America's Secret Slang yesterday because I'm an interesting person who does interesting things, and it was kind of enlightening. None of it answered this burning question though.
Calling all soda products "Coke" in the south is primarily in the Atlanta Georgia region due to the Coca Cola plant there. It dominated ALL soda products and vernacular in the region for decades to the point it actually became the name for soda in general.

Also if you want to confuse the **** out of yourself trying to read complicated maps, but learn a lot about North American dialects, this map is the map for you:

http://aschmann.net/AmEng/

Jdietz43

BRoomer
BRoomer
No one will get placed wisconsin. :<
Completely wrong: they have "bubbler" as one of the answers for drinking fountain, sniped the Milwaukee region dead in its tracks lol

EDIT: Before anyone asks either of us "WTF" there's a lot of history behind that one. Back in the early days of Milwaukee public infrastructure the water pressure for public park drinking fountains was so low all you'd usually get from them was a small gurgle of water, or just intermittent bubbling. It stayed that way so long the term "bubbler" became common slang for drinking fountain, pretty much here and only here.

EDIT2: Who the hell calls rain while the sun is shining "the wolf is giving birth" what the **** lol

Last edited:

Handorin

Smash Hero
Calling all soda products "Coke" in the south is primarily in the Atlanta Georgia region due to the Coca Cola plant there. It dominated ALL soda products and vernacular in the region for decades to the point it actually became the name for soda in general.
I can guarantee it stretches out to at least Arkansas. Definetley a lot more than the Atlanta area.

@ Jdietz43 Jdietz43 the south says the devil is beating his wife.

There were a few questions I answered that said I wasn't from anywhere. Lol

#HBC | Nabe

Beneath it all, he had H-cups all along
Can't breathe, but the view is equal to the taste
there's a lot of history behind that one. Back in the early days of Milwaukee public infrastructure the water pressure for public park drinking fountains was so low all you'd usually get from them was a small gurgle of water, or just intermittent bubbling. It stayed that way so long the term "bubbler" became common slang for drinking fountain, pretty much here and only here.
how do you know so much

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
New England also says bubbler

They pinned me pretty hard as Providence/Worcester/Boston

Sup guys I just found out today that somebody made a really ****ty looking paint shirt with my name attached to it and it's got a 4.4 review average on zazzle lmao

BSL

B-B-B-BLAMM!!!
NNID
bsl883
3DS FC
3308-4560-2744
New England also says bubbler

They pinned me pretty hard as Providence/Worcester/Boston

Sup guys I just found out today that somebody made a really ****ty looking paint shirt with my name attached to it and it's got a 4.4 review average on zazzle lmao
Link? I want it

#HBC | Joker

Space Marine
NNID
HBCJoker
3DS FC
1864-9780-3232
$25 for that ****ty looking shirt? no thanks, novelty factor not worth it. I'll scribble on a white tshirt myself if I wanna rock KevinM's name on my clothes.

#HBC | Dark Horse

Mach-Hommy x Murakami
How the hell does that website's review system work? It looks like all of the reviews are talking about different shirts.

Jdietz43

BRoomer
BRoomer
how do you know so much
I'm a passive knowledge sponge.

The more "huh" worthy something is the more likely I am to remember it.

The month July has 31 days instead of 30 (and its name, it used to be the month of Quintilius) because Julius Ceaser was a **** and wanted both a month and the month that lasted the longest. He stole a day from the end of the calendar year to do so.

August (previously Sextillius) is the same but for his successor Augustus, because clearly he was good enough for his own month that was better than the rest too, it's why the alternating 31 30 day pattern breaks there with two 31 day months in a row. (Because it was a lot easier to change scientific standards when you could threaten decapitation.)

September, October, November, and December aren't the 7th, 8th, 9th, and 10th months respectively because January and February were inserted later to equal out the calendar, but Jan. and Feb. used to be considered the end of year. Later when people began to associate the end of winter with the start of a new year January became the 1st month and the latin numbered months never made sense again. Poor February never got its 2 days back either.; other 31st days of the month were inserted over time to keep calandars in line with more accurately measured time, but for no apparent reason February never returned to normal. Long live the emperors.

^just one of thousands of entries in the Dietz archive of minueta

Last edited:

BSL

B-B-B-BLAMM!!!
NNID
bsl883
3DS FC
3308-4560-2744
It's the "white TShirt with custom design on it" I'd guess

Shun Goku Satsu Rake

Oriwa Rake. Kaizo ko ni oriwa naru
thats like me only i retain useless information only relevant to **** im interested in.

edit: like league/smite/dota 2 but then i go to write php which I freakin almost aced in school and my brains like : wat do.

Edit 2: I may have landed a php developer job and that'd be some pretty boss level **** as not only could i ditch my ****ty menial labor job and finally have a job which requires brain usage, but also because the influx of cash would mean i could get a car / my own place and finally have all the independence i want.

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
hey guys my brain is better at remembering things im interested in over things i am almost forced to be taught too

can i join the cool club now?? i used to know a lot about world of warcraft :lick:

Top Bottom