• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social DGames Social | V/LA |

BSL

B-B-B-BLAMM!!!
NNID
bsl883
3DS FC
3308-4560-2744
Month day year makes sense though because month only goes up to 12, so it's got the smallest range. Draw your pyramid based on the wrong criteria and everything looks wacky.

As for the rest idk

I like metric better tbh, but aside from meter and centimeter, I have no idea how much something represents.

What the **** is a kilogram

BSL

B-B-B-BLAMM!!!
NNID
bsl883
3DS FC
3308-4560-2744
I understand the conversion rates between kilograms and other X-grams, but I don't know how that translates into real objects.

Is a pineapple about a kilogram?

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
Also, apparently while doing this @ thing, I saw there is an account called "Xonar Is The Worst".
acro

Month day year makes sense though because month only goes up to 12, so it's got the smallest range. Draw your pyramid based on the wrong criteria and everything looks wacky.
system has always been day > month > year since ye olde times.

also how is range even a criteria? like i want to make some comment ridiculing it but i just
????
what

#HBC | Dancer

The nicest of the damned.
Americans don't use the metric system simply because we're not use to it. Americans know what an inch is, as we're familiar with it enough to kind of approximate the length of an inch with our fingers. A metre on the other hand is just ****ing weird.

I agree that the metric system is much more logical, although everything is arbitrary to an extent. According to wikipedia, a metre is defined as "the distance traveled by light during a time interval of 1/299,792,458 of a second." Someone's gonna have to explain how that's natural in the slightest.

Jdietz43

BRoomer
BRoomer
This conversation has gone on much longer and dryer than I expected, so instead I'll regale you all with an image that has become possibly one of my favorite images of the last week or so after using its relative as a reactionary post:

He'd fix all our measurement problems.
That is all.

#HBC | Nabe

Beneath it all, he had H-cups all along
Can't breathe, but the view is equal to the taste
299,792,458 metres per second is the speed of light. Obviously, the metre was invented before the speed of light was discovered, and for a very long time, a "metre" was defined retroactively as the length of the Standard Metre, a bar sitting in France composed of a platinum-iridium alloy. The original definition was something approximating one ten-millionth of the distance from the North Pole to the Equator, and it was created for the purposes of having a single unified measurement that would be used across the board. Now that we know the precise speed of light, it's used as the definition of the metre because the speed of light will never change where physical objects do over time.

The metre is certainly arbitrary, like any unit of measurement, but it's arbitrary over a series of tens and therefore fits with the overwhelmingly standardly-used base-10 number system, avoiding weird-as-**** conversions and units. A centimetre is easy to approximate; take a ruler, and measure your fingers until you find something close enough that you like, then use that every time. The width of one of my fingers is close enough to a centimetre to be getting on with if (for some reason) I ever need to approximate one.

Jdietz43

BRoomer
BRoomer
Also interesting, the kilogram is similarly defined originally as an object in France (see: Nabe's Interview). And though for a long time there was no other concrete absolute universally accessible definition other than that physical object, like the transfer from physical object to light timing for the meter, there has just recently been a move to define the kilogram as a very specific radius of pure Silicon-28 which is more replicate-able, but more importantly does not deteriorate as the actual kilgram and its sister clone kilograms based on it have actually fluctuated in measured weight over the years...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMByI4s-D-Y

(I am a massive hypocrite for calling the convo dry and then bringing this up XD )

EDIT: That's right Nabe, both you and Ryan North's independent schemes to steal the kilogram are soon to be foiled... better get on that

Last edited:

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Why does Zen keep banning himself or for that matter why does he keep leaving? I know that it's a way to fend off an addiction
You just answered your own question. If you guys forgot, Mafia is a time sink. Sometimes you keep impulsively joining games while you can, but you do it less when you realize you can't do it at all or it ****s the rest of whatever you are supposed to be doing. You say sometimes one should free oneself from the 'mental jail' one puts oneself in, but then that would take up TIME needed for other things. We all know we can't really detach ourselves from Dgames entirely.

It is why I'm not playing any games right now. I'm not going to join a game until summer, as a hydra. (Because I have promised to hydra with people but have little opportunity to do said hydras) For me, it is mostly school taking up my time. Boy did I stress the **** out. I'm playing videogames now during break to get them out of the way so I can sell them and move past my past and move forward towards the future. For Zen, I think it was him needing to find a job, but now he has one.

Handorin

Smash Hero
If you have to much stuff to do and try to play mafia at the same time, you turn into a player more or less like me.

You don't want everyone to be me.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Hmm, that makes me wonder. Were there days when Handorin spent more time due to less IRL things taking up your time? (And was active??? :D )

I feel your pain.

Cheerilee

Smash Ace
(Mobile) I believe that he thinks of the forum and his real life in zero sum terms. I.e. I just expended all this time and effort into mafia when I could have done something with my life. He takes on an increasing load of responsibilities almost as if he wants to ante up resulting in him realizing he doesn't have the time or capacity to balance both resulting in him choosing to default on his online responsibilities. Given the repeated nature of this behavior it is likely somewhat intentional. Zen probably relies on an emotional feeling of shame or failure to avoid the forums and focus on other things because he doesn't have the strength to balance things out to his own satisfaction.

#HBC | Acrostic

♖♘♗♔♕♗♘♖
If it seems like this is criticizing Zen, it isn't. It's my impression of his underlying thought process. Some people may think that I'm calling him weak. I don't think Zen is any weaker than the several millions of people who rely on drugs to make it through the work day, who rely on coffee to tolerate a day at work, or someone who can't work because of an event that happened while they were on work. I don't think he's any weaker than me or the several millions out there who do their best to make it day by day in a broken world. I think he has his own mechanisms for coping, as I have mine and you have yours.

#HBC | Dark Horse

Mach-Hommy x Murakami
Don't know what you guys mean by this whole "conversion" thing. All I use for measurements are "Shorter than that," "longer than that,""bit shorter than that," "bit longer than that."

Handorin

Smash Hero
Hmm, that makes me wonder. Were there days when Handorin spent more time due to less IRL things taking up your time? (And was active??? :D )

I feel your pain.
Indeed. I do in fact have a play style in which I read more and post little, and my natural writing style is very short and consise. I use this to say lots in one to two sentences and often insert clues of my intension for the careful reader. If I don't feel pressured to have life things done on a particular day, be it I can postpone something or just don't have anything, I'll generally post more. Ironically, it's usually while I'm at school in between classes or during class when I have stuff "to do", but I'd rather relax and do work after school hours.

Cream Team

Gargaglione|Gorf
If it seems like this is criticizing Zen, it isn't. It's my impression of his underlying thought process. Some people may think that I'm calling him weak. I don't think Zen is any weaker than the several millions of people who rely on drugs to make it through the work day, who rely on coffee to tolerate a day at work, or someone who can't work because of an event that happened while they were on work. I don't think he's any weaker than me or the several millions out there who do their best to make it day by day in a broken world. I think he has his own mechanisms for coping, as I have mine and you have yours.
Bro but drrrrrrugs :cool:

#HBC | Kary

Fiend of Fire
yeah idk if you know this but imperial units are very common in the uk also. legally, things have to have weights etc on them in metric, but they still come in pounds and inches etc. so you'd buy like 454g of something (1 pound).

the one thing i will say for imperial measurements is that most of them are easy to understand. for example, an inch is about this much *holds fingers inch apart*. by contrast, i dont know how much anything weighs in grams or kilos.

fahrenheit though. i've never got that at all.

#HBC | Gorf

toastin walrus since 4/20 maaaan
I like Fahrenheit cuz it's more specific. Suck it up mathematically the difference between 30 and 31 C is more than the difference between 30 and 31 F, even if it's stupid that 32 is freezing point and 212 is melting point. I bet if they made freezing 0 F and melting 180 F (changing formula to just 1.8xC, leaving out that useless + 32) there'd be far less complaints... Ya know aside from the people who just feel like complaining about standard.

Minutes n hours > whatever dafuq we'd have if we stuck to xseconds being the standard for time, but I might just sound ignorant cuz idk if that was established as metric, just assuming it wasn't cuz it ain't base 10.

I do wish everyone would convert to the same system though (metric), ya know cuz like unity man :)

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
I like Fahrenheit cuz it's more specific. Suck it up mathematically the difference between 30 and 31 C is more than the difference between 30 and 31 F, even if it's stupid that 32 is freezing point and 212 is melting point. I bet if they made freezing 0 F and melting 180 F (changing formula to just 1.8xC, leaving out that useless + 32) there'd be far less complaints... Ya know aside from the people who just feel like complaining about standard.
what if i told you

you can place numbers after the comma for accuracy's sake

#HBC | Gorf

Mother-dearest just forcibly audited my bank account because somehow she setup her account to have features over my own being a sub-account to hers. I told her that how much I was saving was my own business, she went to the bank when I went to work to perform an audit. She hasn't figured it out yet, but she will eventually figure out that I intentionally picked up a second job to avoid dealing with her compulsive demands and that I work fifteen hours a day to avoid having to deal with being at home. Ready to leave. Just need to sign the lease and also have to consider buying my own auto-insurance policy and leasing a new car before the end of the week. I'm really done with this psychopath and this ****ty family.
How old are you? I ask cuz moving out due to an at home situation is really risky. Do you have long term ambitions, and if so, are you achieving them doing what you're doing? Moving out is kinda gonna lock you into where you're at cuz, well you gotta pay for your everything. And living I expensive. Personally I've always wanted to move out the day I turned 18, and I shacked it with my friend for about a month till I realized that if I wanted to go from there to my own place, I'd need to start working toward staying alive... Which sucks. It's gonna take me some time to establish my place as a musician, and having my parents to depend on for now is almost crucial if I wanna go far. Expenses suck. But at the same time I'm 19, so I have time to be too tired to deal with living at my house anymore. Ya feels?

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Mother-dearest just forcibly audited my bank account because somehow she setup her account to have features over my own being a sub-account to hers. I told her that how much I was saving was my own business, she went to the bank when I went to work to perform an audit. She hasn't figured it out yet, but she will eventually figure out that I intentionally picked up a second job to avoid dealing with her compulsive demands and that I work fifteen hours a day to avoid having to deal with being at home. Ready to leave. Just need to sign the lease and also have to consider buying my own auto-insurance policy and leasing a new car before the end of the week. I'm really done with this psychopath and this ****ty family.
All I can say is what the ****. Like Gorf, I am now wondering how old you are dude. There is no reason for her to care about 'savings' at all. Your money is your business, especially since you are being proactive and supporting the family, yet she wants more?? **** her.

I also am now wondering how the hell she managed to make your account a sub. My brain points to UNDERAGE, that is all I can think of.

BSL

B-B-B-BLAMM!!!
NNID
bsl883
3DS FC
3308-4560-2744
Fahrenheit was created as this this:

Salt water freezes at 0
Human body temp is 100

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
Gorf, lovin' the concern, but you should know Acrostic is probably the last person on these boards who needs a lecture on finances/future-planning/life.

wrt the above: Good luck, Acro. I'll go ahead and assume you've weighed all your options here. ****ty home life isn't the ideal incentive for a move, but it's an understandable one.

#HBC | Gorf

Gorf, lovin' the concern, but you should know Acrostic is probably the last person on these boards who needs a lecture on finances/future-planning/life.

wrt the above: Good luck, Acro. I'll go ahead and assume you've weighed all your options here. ****ty home life isn't the ideal incentive for a move, but it's an understandable one.
I know, but emotions can screw with logic hard, and it'd suck to see anyone fall flat on their face cuz emotions drove a decision. I always think it's good to have people question you, so you know that those questions exist at all, ya feel me?

Top Bottom