• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

DFW Brawl Thread: Batou Monthly, Feb 18th - Revolution 10, Mar 3rd

Status
Not open for further replies.

mydadsacop123

Smash Apprentice
I personally like the less competitive-fighter physics of brawl...
Now i look at Melee and its almost too fast!!! But regardless, theyre both the best fighting games evar

8AngeL8

Smash Lord
I prefer brawl for two reasons:

1. Multiple airdodges. The fact that canned combos are mostly removed actually makes the game better to me, because it makes the game much more fluid and mental, rather than just a case of who can set up a 0-to-death first.

2. The slower pace. I consider this a plus. With Melee's speed, it's more about your reflexes. With Brawl it's more about being smarter and outplaying your opponent, I think.

Personally, I don't have a problem with Melee 2.0 per se, as long as it stays within friends who agree on it. I think unmodified Brawl should be the competitive standard, with the only modifications being ones agreed upon by players, such as turning items off and some stages banned.

I just think it's a little silly to be putting the effort in. If you want Brawl to me like Melee, why not just keep playing Melee? It's still a great game that's well worth playing, and it doesn't require hacking anything.

Jingo_Joe

Smash Apprentice
some dude on youtube said:
You must remember that Bwett is to Yoshi as M2K is to Meta Knight.
I lost to Bwett at a Bi-Weekly Tournament. It was incredibly close, but I didn't have it in me. Hopefully that changes for the next time we play!

Infinitysmash

Smash Champion
Well I don't come in here to disrespect Brawl. Until you started implying that Melee is somehow a worse game just because it's older, all I've said was that hacked Brawl is fun and we should play. Poot and I were talking about having a fun little $1 hacked Brawl tournament sometime, I'm curious to know who would actually give it a shot.
I only said anything because DoH did and I directed it at him more than anything. This is also like the thousandth time he's done that and the first time I've spoken out about it, though it's bothered me from the beginning.

By the way, I'm actually really interested in hearing specific reasons why people like Brawl more than Melee. I'm not trying to sound condescending or anything, I'd really like to hear it. Like, here are a few things I like about Brawl:
1) Footstooling is neat I guess
2) Being able to attack immediately after jumping from a ledge. It'd be good to have an additional option once you get on the ledge.
3) Pikachu is even more of a BAMF
Well I guess that's it. Let's pretend Melee and Brawl came out at the same time (so character variety, graphics, and stages don't count), what is it about Brawl that would make you prefer it to Melee?
1) Having played both I feel like Brawl is more about your ability to read your opponent than Melee is and I enjoy being able to read and outplay people. It's more about one player's ability to out-think and outplay the other than it is about who has faster hands. I wasn't really big into the competitive Melee scene, but I feel that it's harder, mentally, to be good at Brawl than it is in Melee.

2) On that note, because I feel that way it also feels much, much better to win in Brawl than it does in Melee. The reward is greater for me in Brawl, so I like it a bit more :p

3) This is going to sound ******** on a competitive level: Brawl has a lot of subtle fun elements to it than Melee did. Like at the last PBT tournament when I was playing against Daimonster in the finals and he counterpicked Pictochat on me. At one point the springs at the sides of the stage spawned and I completely dropped the fight and ran for the spring and started doing Metaknight's downB on it over and over and he yelled "I have no idea what to do!" That **** was fun :p

4) Metaknight. He's extremely fun to play as and against at a high level. (Yes, I just said I enjoy playing against Metaknight) The Metaknight ditto is fast paced, requires extremely good timing in order to be able to punish properly and makes you play at the best of your game in order to be able to win. Plus he's awesome. Did you know his cape turns into wings? </inside joke>

5) The community. The people I play Brawl with week in and week out are ****ing awesome. It's SO much more fun to play competitive Brawl than it is to play, say, competitive Magic. The Brawl community has a lot of the same people in it, but it also has a lot of people that are only in it because this isn't Melee.

6) It's fun. That's it, I just have more fun playing Brawl than Melee. Melee turns into a math homework after a while, where Brawl is still offering new experiences to me every time I play it.

I'm sure I could think of more, but that's most of it.

RoK the Reaper

Smash Lord
Everyone, I didn't make it to the last one because I didn't have enough money to really get in money matches and to chip in for gas (I had to give most it to el madre). However, Since I'm going to have some money left over after I buy my 360 this week. (HELL YEAH.) I'mma need to do some Brawling this weekend. Set me up.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Infinity...Imagine playing brawl for several years, and when it's at it's peak and everyone is finally recognizing it as a good game something like pong comes out and EVERYONE stops playing brawl for pong. Yes, it kills the scene at it's peak. After the years of work you put into something you love, it's just taken away from you. There is nothing promising about the future of the game, you know it's going to regress, and so on.

That's what brawl did to melee. Melee players have no reason to be respectful to brawl(not brawl players..just the game) because it completly killed their scene. Reguardless of how good the game is in comparison to melee, it still killed the scene. No major companies are going to sponser melee anymore, melee tournaments are becoming very rare because they don't pull in numbers. It's insulting to melee players who have spent years perfecting the game and loving it to say: "just go play melee". The competion isn't the same. There isn't as much of a driving factor.

Think of it as Brawl+ completly killing the brawl scene right now, but to a much greater extent. Imagine EVERYTHING different. No one holds brawl tournaments anymore, just brawl+. Now take that view and apply it from the melee players perspective with brawl. It's the same thing.

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
1) Having played both I feel like Brawl is more about your ability to read your opponent than Melee is and I enjoy being able to read and outplay people. It's more about one player's ability to out-think and outplay the other than it is about who has faster hands. I wasn't really big into the competitive Melee scene, but I feel that it's harder, mentally, to be good at Brawl than it is in Melee.

2) On that note, because I feel that way it also feels much, much better to win in Brawl than it does in Melee. The reward is greater for me in Brawl, so I like it a bit more :p

3) This is going to sound ******** on a competitive level: Brawl has a lot of subtle fun elements to it than Melee did. Like at the last PBT tournament when I was playing against Daimonster in the finals and he counterpicked Pictochat on me. At one point the springs at the sides of the stage spawned and I completely dropped the fight and ran for the spring and started doing Metaknight's downB on it over and over and he yelled "I have no idea what to do!" That **** was fun :p

4) Metaknight. He's extremely fun to play as and against at a high level. (Yes, I just said I enjoy playing against Metaknight) The Metaknight ditto is fast paced, requires extremely good timing in order to be able to punish properly and makes you play at the best of your game in order to be able to win. Plus he's awesome. Did you know his cape turns into wings? </inside joke>

5) The community. The people I play Brawl with week in and week out are ****ing awesome. It's SO much more fun to play competitive Brawl than it is to play, say, competitive Magic. The Brawl community has a lot of the same people in it, but it also has a lot of people that are only in it because this isn't Melee.

6) It's fun. That's it, I just have more fun playing Brawl than Melee. Melee turns into a math homework after a while, where Brawl is still offering new experiences to me every time I play it.
Not to throw everything you said out the window, Infinity, but I must disagree with some of these statements as I've played both Melee and Brawl myself quite extensively. Melee was good to me =)

1) Reading your opponent in Melee is just as important as it is in Brawl. It's just that in brawl it is hard to distinguish this because brawl is a more defensive game give shield physics and an overall slower pace.

2) This argument might be biased given the fact you've only really played one of the games at a top level of play. Melee required a LOT of practice and experience. Brawl does too, but not nearly as much in my opinion (though that could just be due to the early age of the game).

3 & 6) Melee was very very fun to play. bluezaft and I would easily spend 4-5 hrs a day playing and only about 1-2 of it was for highly competitive practice. There were countless things we laughed at even on neutral stages. It was stupidly fun, just like Brawl.

4) "The Metaknight ditto is fast paced, requires extremely good timing in order to be able to punish properly and makes you play at the best of your game in order to be able to win." I believe this statement could be applied to easily 6 (or more) different characters from Melee (Fox, Falco, Marth, Sheik, Falcon, Peach-try pillaring with this woman). Essentially what I'm trying to say here is that Melee required a fast-paced playstyle, extremely good timing with L-cancelling and shield spacing, and forced you to play your best to win tournaments (like all fighting games). Interesting how similar these to things are.

5) Sometimes I think you take Brawl a bit too competitive and miss out on just playing it for fun. It's hard for me to play the game for more than 2hrs straight without switching over to just having fun. I demand we use pokeballs at the next smashfest, maybe in a blinnd match O.O

Infinitysmash

Smash Champion
5) Sometimes I think you take Brawl a bit too competitive and miss out on just playing it for fun. It's hard for me to play the game for more than 2hrs straight without switching over to just having fun. I demand we use pokeballs at the next smashfest, maybe in a blinnd match O.O
And bumpers!

CY

Smash Ace
Infinity...Imagine playing brawl for several years, and when it's at it's peak and everyone is finally recognizing it as a good game something like pong comes out and EVERYONE stops playing brawl for pong. Yes, it kills the scene at it's peak. After the years of work you put into something you love, it's just taken away from you. There is nothing promising about the future of the game, you know it's going to regress, and so on.

That's what brawl did to melee. Melee players have no reason to be respectful to brawl(not brawl players..just the game) because it completly killed their scene. Reguardless of how good the game is in comparison to melee, it still killed the scene. No major companies are going to sponser melee anymore, melee tournaments are becoming very rare because they don't pull in numbers. It's insulting to melee players who have spent years perfecting the game and loving it to say: "just go play melee". The competion isn't the same. There isn't as much of a driving factor.

Think of it as Brawl+ completly killing the brawl scene right now, but to a much greater extent. Imagine EVERYTHING different. No one holds brawl tournaments anymore, just brawl+. Now take that view and apply it from the melee players perspective with brawl. It's the same thing.
except melee came out 7 years ago or so? things move on, new stuff comes out... so either they should adapt to this new game, or just quit and live in the past.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
except melee came out 7 years ago or so? things move on, new stuff comes out... so either they should adapt to this new game, or just quit and live in the past.
I think you missed the entire point of my post.

DallasPhat

Smash Master
Planking Gnes While He Watches Invincible Youth
What exactly was your point hylian? Cause I share the same view as CY . I understand that Brawl killed all the Melee scene but thats bound to happen, Melee was indeed a very old game so of course when a new game comes out everyone will switch, people aren't going to be chained to a game thats going no where and thats what happened. If Brawl+ was the new standard for tournaments then of course I'm going to relearn the game over its as simple as that, and if I don't happen to like it then I'll quit.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
They can't live in the past because Brawl has destroyed/tarnished it. It's one thing if Melee was still as strong as it was at the peak and to tell people to go back to the game then, but now the game is almost considered a rarity.

It's hard to go back to a game that has a tiny crowd. :/

bluezaft

The True Zaft
Hey Zac, have you played hacked Brawl? I'll bet you'd like it. We should play, I was just thinking about how dumb G&W is.

Good games at your place Bluezaft. I'm totally up for that $1 tourney with hacked brawl. I'll pick Ike and fly around for awhile...invincible lol.
The Amazing Invincible Flying Ike is so unfair! You can attack out of it too! It's like he's MK, only invincible 9/10ths of the time for no good ****ed reason. :(

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Hey Zac, have you played hacked Brawl? I'll bet you'd like it. We should play, I was just thinking about how dumb G&W is.

The Amazing Invincible Flying Ike is so unfair! You can attack out of it too! It's like he's MK, only invincible 9/10ths of the time for no good ****ed reason. :(
I main Ike in Brawl+ :). So ****ing fun haha.

I might hold a tournament for it soon. You should come :).

8AngeL8

Smash Lord
I know I'm a little late to the Brawl+ party we have going here, but I wanna weigh in. Given that Melee and Brawl seem to appeal to slightly different crowds, why should the ones who preferred Melee get to keep that same style just because Melee came first? You already had seven years of your game, how about we get seven years of the one we prefer?

I already said I think Brawl+ is cool for people to do in friendlies and small time tournies, but I couldn't disagree more with it becoming the competitive standard.

Infinitysmash

Smash Champion
k, now that I actually have money let's play a game: The first person (that's not Nate because I already told him) to accurately guess and post a link to a YouTube video for the most played song on my iTunes wins a free trip to CiCi's next time I see them.

Clues:

It's by a band that has a song in the Bonus Tracks section of Guitar Hero 2.

It's the second track on the album it's on. The album cover is mostly green. The song's name has 3 words to it. It's not on the same album as the song from Guitar Hero.

The lead singer has ridiculously long dreads. Like they're down to his knees or something ******** like that.

The song that's in Guitar Hero starts out slow, then bursts into 'blindingly' fast a fast-paced arpeggio with the drums double-basing. (Ha, I put a clue inside of a clue. I'm clever.)

Have fun :p

Big Bob

Smash Apprentice
While it's true that Melee's competitive scene is dying, it's not really a reason for anybody to bash Brawl.

Here's one take on it, and one that makes sense to me: I'm better at Brawl than I am at Melee. Last time I played you Zaft, you annihilated me pretty much every single match. In order to get up to your level, it's going to take a lot of time and effort, a lot more than I have, given how much schoolwork I've had.

Yet when I go to brawlfests and play against Fogo or Ice or Infinity, etc, they still beat me most of the time, but it's generally a lot closer and I learn something every time I play. And often after finishing a tourney I'll think "alright, what's something I can do to beat this guy", and I try to apply what I learned at the next opportunity. But seeing how good you are at Melee, when I'm playing you I'm like "bleh, whatever, I suck".

Which...I kind of prepared for. I loved Melee and played it with my friends all the time, but I was nowhere near ready for the tournament scene. But when Brawl came out, I knew that there were going to be a lot of new players and that it would be a new experience, so I immediately jumped into it, and I'd say I do pretty well each time I show up. I've made a lot of friends playing Brawl, and I hate to see people insult a game I love. I mean, sure, people always say you shouldn't care if someone else doesn't like your game, but there's a difference between indifference and outright insults to the players (don't mind this sentence; I just met a PC Elitist in real life that gets on my nerves).

All I'm really saying is...just try to accept it. Melee was legendary, and will always be a good game, but it's Brawl's turn now.

8AngeL8

Smash Lord
That Seth v. Fogo set was NICE!

I'd come play, DPhat, but it's a pretty busy week for me. Are you gonna be doing the Friday night thing this week or will you be leaving for HOBO the night before?

Arikado

Smash Rookie
k, now that I actually have money let's play a game: The first person (that's not Nate because I already told him) to accurately guess and post a link to a YouTube video for the most played song on my iTunes wins a free trip to CiCi's next time I see them.

Clues:

It's by a band that has a song in the Bonus Tracks section of Guitar Hero 2.

It's the second track on the album it's on. The album cover is mostly green. The song's name has 3 words to it. It's not on the same album as the song from Guitar Hero.

The lead singer has ridiculously long dreads. Like they're down to his knees or something ******** like that.

The song that's in Guitar Hero starts out slow, then bursts into 'blindingly' fast a fast-paced arpeggio with the drums double-basing. (Ha, I put a clue inside of a clue. I'm clever.)

Have fun :p
Shadows Fall - Thoughts Without Words. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6aGQ53jbE4U

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom