• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

DFW Brawl Thread: Batou Monthly, Feb 18th - Revolution 10, Mar 3rd

Status
Not open for further replies.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
ZAC, the Smashfest at Bear's house that was before HOBO 11, I remember there being a recording station. Was that yours or someone elses? I think I got my matches with Santi and Dojo recorded and I was hoping you had them and could upload them. :)

RoK the Reaper

Smash Lord
Melee & Brawl are very different, yet; I do like Brawl more than Melee.

Okay; Melee & Brawl do take hours and hours of practice apiece to learn, but for very different reason. Also, Melee and Brawl each have balancing factors; their "cheap" factors and the traits they actually have within the smash community. Also, melee dying isn't as dramatic as everyone thinks. Let me explain.

Melee, in order to be good at that time took hours upon hours of match-up time and hours and hours of practice upon perfecting technical skill (Wave-Dashing Spacing, L-Cancelling at the right time for different moves, Combo'ing etc.) but because of this, some skill was taken away. (Such as, If everyone remembers rage; This guy was nothing but Tech Skill with Falcon but could beat a lot of people with him). So yes, Melee took hours of practice, but it was mostly for the technical aspect, as well as spacing,, then combos and edge-guarding tactics. You have 0-Death combos, the ability to completely **** someone that was ignorant of advanced techniques (Which means, if you haven't been in the competitive scene it's hard to keep it moving)

Brawl. Brawl has no real advanced techniques outside of chain grabbing and maybe something like float tossing or the smash sliding thing (Think Snake, and Link Running attack to U-Smash) meaning that everyone is on a level playing field. Where as you could practice alone with Melee; Brawl's winning depends mostly on learning how to counter playstyles and takes hours of practice against people who are good with their specific character. It's all about knowledge of your character, the match-up of your character and your personal style and spacing. Don't get me wrong, melee was the same way. But a suck person in Melee could easily beat someone based on nothing but technical skill. With Brawl, you're able to beat someone even if you know "Advanced" technques.

More women play Brawl (Who wants a sausage-fest every time?) tournaments are bigger (Because Brawl is more new) Has better graphics and a bigger character selection. (That's just my opinion though) and the character I play with recovery still sucks,l but at least he isn't considered sucky (Ike V.S. Roy)

Brawl > Melee for me. To others Melee > Brawl.

The Future is here, accept it. Street Fighter 4 instead of Street Fighter 3. Soul Calibur 4 instead of Soul Calibur 2 (Yes, community is still hurting cause of 3) Melty Blood Act Cadenza instead of Melty Blood ReACT. GoW2 instead of GoW (Cause it's out Nov. 7th) Etc. etc.

Things that are in the past; let it go. It's like hanging onto a bad girlfriend. Let em' go, embrace the new one you got. And if you think and compare her to your old one. You're either

A.) Never find anyone.

B.) She's just gonna dump you.

o_o Better forget and try somethin' new!

Bwett

Smash Ace
Those that are discussing Melee vs Brawl, drop the topic. If you want to discuss it further, go to the old Dallas thread and read all the arguments there because they are all the same =P.

As for this weekend, DPhat, thanks for hosting. Great matches and excellent get together. We totally have to start doing those Blind friendlies with a partner telling you what to do again. Maybe even have a $1 tournament with it. That would be awesome.

And for all those that were talking about me...Fear teh Yoshi! =P lol

8AngeL8

Smash Lord
Well, it's more of Brawl vs Brawl+, with Melee thrown in on the side. I think Brawl+ is a new and relevant topic, do you not want us discussing that either?

Bwett

Smash Ace
I think it's still quite the same argument. All it does is make people fight for which is "better." In the end, it does nothing but cause people to argue imo. I'd rather you just say "Hey, i might hold a Brawl+ tourney" "O really? I don't want to go. Not my kinda thing" "Sweet, well for those that do go, see ya there"

But that is just me lol

Dr Drew the Dragon

BRoomer
BRoomer
Brawl+ won't replace Brawl, it might just give the old Melee die-hards something to do these days (since as people like to point out, Melee is kinda old).

But as long as lots of people keep showing up to Brawl tournaments they won't be going anywhere...

DallasPhat

Smash Master
Planking Gnes While He Watches Invincible Youth
INFINITY buy me lunch you cheater... Shadow Fall got 2 cds with mostly green covers, the art of balance and threads of life and both cd on the 2nd track had a 3 words song so.. YOU'RE LAME!!!

ALSO me and damien are trying to figure out whether we should both bring our car or not depending on how many people are going to HOBO12 so Dallas please pm me if you are interested in going to Hobo12.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
I vote for moar cars DPhat so I can maybe ride with you guys? I can stay the night at Bear's too or wherever you guys would stay anyways. :D

LeeHarris

Smash Lord
Only good band on there is LOG. :p Shadows Fall is decent too.

If you're into hardcore/metalcore (Hatebreed, Bury Your Dead, etc), check out Straight Line Stitch. Listen to Taste of Ashes on their Myspace. I just found them a little while ago. Also check out Living Sacrifice. Listen to Death Machine on their Myspace.

Infinitysmash

Smash Champion
INFINITY buy me lunch you cheater... Shadow Fall got 2 cds with mostly green covers, the art of balance and threads of life and both cd on the 2nd track had a 3 words song so.. YOU'RE LAME!!!

ALSO me and damien are trying to figure out whether we should both bring our car or not depending on how many people are going to HOBO12 so Dallas please pm me if you are interested in going to Hobo12.
I saw his post last night before yours was edited, lol. I just didn't post anything kuz I went to sleep.

I'd be interested in going to Hobo if there's an open spot, but if someone wants it before me give it to them. I want to go, but I prolly won't be playing in the tournament if I go.

Edit:

Only good band on there is LOG. :p Shadows Fall is decent too.

If you're into hardcore/metalcore (Hatebreed, Bury Your Dead, etc), check out Straight Line Stitch. Listen to Taste of Ashes on their Myspace. I just found them a little while ago. Also check out Living Sacrifice. Listen to Death Machine on their Myspace.
I'll check them out, but you have to check out Scar Symmetry if you haven't before. Best Band ever.

8AngeL8

Smash Lord
Wow, lots of Scar Symmetry up there. Not a fan of Dragonforce personally, but not a bad list when you're in a hardcore mood.

Do you like Breaking Benjamin at all?

8AngeL8

Smash Lord
Man, I haven't been listening to actual bands lately, I'm super addicted to Final Fantasy soundtracks right now. It's ridiculousl

8AngeL8

Smash Lord
Nah, I have all the original soundtracks + Piano Collections + stuff like Advent Children and Tactics and Crystal Chronicles. OCRemix has some awesome stuff on it, though.

Also, Black Mages are AWESOME.

I'll give Straight Line Stitch a try, thanks.

PhoenixAlpha

Smash Journeyman
Probably be leaving Friday, but I'm free tuesday - thursday between 2pm - 8pm.\
I'm free Tuesday and Thursday from 2 to 6:30. I'd be glad to have another brawl session at my place on both days. I need moar practice before HOBO12, anyway.

Also, I thought I had a spot in your car for HOBO12? Or was that OH SNAP?
I intend to go to both, so I need rides. I'm confusing all the carpool plans! Too many tournaments!! :bee: :bee: :bee:

...By the way, at HOBO12, I'm going to unleash the fury!!...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom