• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

DFW Brawl Thread: Batou Monthly, Feb 18th - Revolution 10, Mar 3rd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slaps

Smash Lord
NNID
iSlaps
SOrry Fogo, the spam is kinda my fault. I started talking about my feminine side and shoe shopping with someone and loving dphat and then Zac read it and was hurt when he knows that he's my true smash love.

Santi you should know better. This happens every time we talk about your feminine side.

Kates893

Smash Apprentice
Sorry about the spam lol. When I talk about Martha I get carried away. Anyways, important stuff - Gogo.

Slaps

Smash Lord
NNID
iSlaps
But yeah.
PS1 = horrible neutral.

=P
random lol but i'll teach you F-Air D-Air U-Air and B-Air from the edge at DPhats or PBT and down tilt is good over the part of the edge people get stuck under spikes them... And also what are you guys complaining about spamming? I remember the 2 pages all about getting a BJ during Brawling! Not like thats much better

The Real Inferno

Smash Hero
I agree that PS1 isn't half as nuetral as say Yoshi's Island, BF, FD, or smashville, but for the sake of stage striking it's legit enough. It's not like anyone ever ends up playing there unless they're desperate.

Slaps: getting a BJ while brawling is pro in a way you have yet not begun to understand. Maybe when you're older.

Slaps

Smash Lord
NNID
iSlaps
I agree that PS1 isn't half as nuetral as say Yoshi's Island, BF, FD, or smashville, but for the sake of stage striking it's legit enough. It's not like anyone ever ends up playing there unless they're desperate.

Slaps: getting a BJ while brawling is pro in a way you have yet not begun to understand. Maybe when you're older.
I'm not saying I didn't like the subject, just that was kinda spam too although it was funny as ****!.. I've ended up on PS1 a few times but not often. I'm just wondering because it always comes down to smashville FD and BF... Which do you think is good for Ike? I never care which one but i need to strike one so what do you think?

Teh Brettster

Smash Master
Dude, go to Battlefield with Ike. For ****in' serious. Or Smashville if you can't get that.
Slanted edged on the end don't gimp Aether-- they actually help a lot-- and he has an advantage with those platforms, because he can EASILY reach them without jumping.

Slaps

Smash Lord
NNID
iSlaps
I agree with Infinity it did get kind of stupid but now its back on the topic of Brawl... At least a more serious conversation...yeah slanted edges are good for stage spiking with Ike and the platforms help Ike hit without punishment if enemy is on top of them and you up smash...counter pick i would go with delfino or halberd because of flying platform edge F-Air goes further in stage

NOTE: after you F-Air through the stage do not expect aether to get you back on the stage, you will just fall through so you must go for the edge

8AngeL8

Smash Lord
Dude there is a major difference in those! None of the neutral stages will hurt you literally! Spear Pillar sends those pokemon out and can literally attack/hurt you. Mushroomy Kingdom is basically the same except it can't hurt you but if you stand still you die. I don't care what the nuetral stages are my only definition for neutral stage is a stage that if you stand still you won't go anywhere/get hurt/die and so far the neutral stages we have work perfectly fine by that. PS1 doesn't do **** to you those hazards are completely different, I wouldn't even consider them hazards based on the fact that they don't do **** to you! Its not like the fire on the burning house will light you on fire! You have to be stupid enough to get caught in an infinite grab or any BS like that. It's not the stages fault if you get caught under the edge. It's yours! So stop blaming the stages, and like Infinity said just avoid them!

I guess Luigi's Mansion should be a neutral. So should Hyrule Temple. After all, you can just stand there and not get hurt, right?

There is no defined rule by which you can declare a stage to be neutral. You have to take everything about it from the size to the platforms to the matchups to the hazards, etc.

Yoshi's Island, for example, I don't think is a neutral because the uneven floor gives an advantage to campy spacies. The significant platform coverage makes a character with a good juggle game significantly better, and the sides make characters with a good gimp game slightly better. It's a great counterpick, but I don't see it as neutral.

@Hylian, a lot of matchup discussion is implied in the way we talk about the stages. Complaining about wall infinites on PS1 obviously includes matchups with DDD, for example.

KY_Des

Smash Ace
I guess Luigi's Mansion should be a neutral.
Oh dear God no. If that happened, I'd quit brawl for life. Would Lylat work for a neutral? The ground is uneven, yes, but not in a way that encourages camping. It does screw CGs up a bit tho. There are 3 platforms and decently spaced gaps inbetween platforms, so it's not unfairly advantageous to characters that are good or bad with platforms. Sure, it messes with some characters recoveries, but any person playing a character with a bad recovery could strike it.

I think, if you're wanting an odd number of neutral stages that can be used to implement stage striking, you should use:

Final Destination
Battlefield
Smashville
Lylat
Yoshi's Island

Too much **** on PS1. Most people don't like Yoshi's Island much as a neutral either. It isn't near as neutral as the first 3 stages I listed, but it's a hell of a lot better than the rest of the stages on brawl.

Yay, Nay, Que?

EDIT
Go wreck CoT4 Infinity =]

N.O.T.A.-SrsC@

Smash Apprentice
By my logic, the neutral stages should be Pipes, Green Greens, Jungle Japes, and Hyrule Temple. I know you guys are gonna say that Hyrule is for runners, but who wants to run when you can get smashed against the same two walls 3 times? I mean, we're all playing for fun anyways, right?

Srsly.

Duffman0615

Smash Rookie
By my logic, the neutral stages should be Pipes, Green Greens, Jungle Japes, and Hyrule Temple. I know you guys are gonna say that Hyrule is for runners, but who wants to run when you can get smashed against the same two walls 3 times? I mean, we're all playing for fun anyways, right?

Srsly.
i agree literally

ICE27

Smash Apprentice
NNID
michael0275
Neutral stages are considered nuetral not only because there aren't any hazards present on the stage. But, because they don't offer enough of an advantage to any given character. Yes there are some advantages given to certain character match ups but not enough of an advantage to completely wreck someone. The nuetral stages have been set by the SBR for a reason.

chronoize

Smash Journeyman
-i'm perfectly fine with the neutrals we have. as a wolf main i understand how you feel angel about the infinite on ps1. though lately i've been just avoiding the (2?) infinite areas and spam lasers. so PS1 is fine with em.

- i kind of wanna see lylat in the neutrals. the tilting ship isn't as bad as i thought it would be, and there's no sudden danger that could cost a stock.

-halberd is another stage i wanna see in neutrals

-I like some of you disagree that FD should be a neutral, it gives a clear advantage like infinity said to those who can spam, and those who can chain grab. Then again this is the first or second stage i strike so no problem here

-that's the beauty of the striking system, if you believe a "neutral" stage (whether you believe its neutral or not) gives you an unfair advantage, you can eliminate it. If the community can agree on more neutrals than it only benefits, because the community metagame will evolve , plus if you don't like it you are given the option to strike it. but if you take away neutrals stage strategies will be repetitive, and i'm not sure if it will benefit the community or hurt it, in the case of if we go OOS.

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
-i'm perfectly fine with the neutrals we have. as a wolf main i understand how you feel angel about the infinite on ps1. though lately i've been just avoiding the (2?) infinite areas and spam lasers. so PS1 is fine with em.

- i kind of wanna see lylat in the neutrals. the tilting ship isn't as bad as i thought it would be, and there's no sudden danger that could cost a stock.

-halberd is another stage i wanna see in neutrals

-I like some of you disagree that FD should be a neutral, it gives a clear advantage like infinity said to those who can spam, and those who can chain grab. Then again this is the first or second stage i strike so no problem here
Sorry shuz but Lylat and Halberd benefit certain characters too much. Snake is good on both, DDD has an infinite on Halberd against some characters. Lylat screws over some characters recovery way more than PS1 does. Same for Halberd while flying around.

chronoize

Smash Journeyman
grr zac you commented before i can edit XD

idk i probably haven't played on those stages enough, to see a clear advantage. ill take your word for it zac =D

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Neutral stages:

FD
BF
SV
YI
Lylat

Those would be the most neutral stages. If you want the 3 most neutral, then FD, BF, SV. If you want more than 3 stages, then go with 5 and add YI and Lylat.

Lylat is closer to neutral than PS1. If you wanna do 5 stages, YI needs the 4th slot guaranteed as it is closer to neutral than either PS1 or Lylat. U can pick PS1 over Lylat but IMO Lylat is more neutral.

8AngeL8

Smash Lord
Oh dear God no. If that happened, I'd quit brawl for life. Would Lylat work for a neutral? The ground is uneven, yes, but not in a way that encourages camping. It does screw CGs up a bit tho. There are 3 platforms and decently spaced gaps inbetween platforms, so it's not unfairly advantageous to characters that are good or bad with platforms. Sure, it messes with some characters recoveries, but any person playing a character with a bad recovery could strike it.

I think, if you're wanting an odd number of neutral stages that can be used to implement stage striking, you should use:

Final Destination
Battlefield
Smashville
Lylat
Yoshi's Island

Too much **** on PS1. Most people don't like Yoshi's Island much as a neutral either. It isn't near as neutral as the first 3 stages I listed, but it's a hell of a lot better than the rest of the stages on brawl.

Yay, Nay, Que?

EDIT
Go wreck CoT4 Infinity =]

First off, I hope you got the sarcasm in my post. I DON'T want Luigi's Mansion as a neutral.

Second, I agree with pretty much everything in this post.

d4bA

Smash Cadet
Wow, I go to the gym for a couple of hours and this thread got stupid random.
Take care of yourself in there infinity. If you want some workout tips; I'd be more than glad to get you on the right track.

Oh btw, make sure your actually doing reps and not just holdin the weight...they consider that stalling there too! [joke/]

Sudai

Stuff here
Beah, I would, but there's an LA tourney this weekend with FREE KING CAKE! : O

I might be heading to Dallas next weekend though, I need to talk to some people and figure some stuff out first though.

Infinitysmash

Smash Champion
Take care of yourself in there infinity. If you want some workout tips; I'd be more than glad to get you on the right track.

Oh btw, make sure your actually doing reps and not just holdin the weight...they consider that stalling there too! [joke/]
I appreciate the offer dude, but one of my roommates is a personal trainer. He's writing up a workout for me today actually :psycho:

I'm mostly just doing cardio and going up and down the rock climbing wall at the moment. I am looking for someone to play racquetball with though...

<sig rule>Also, George Carlin is awesome.

So are Sun Chips. Ranch is the best <3

</sig rule>

d4bA

Smash Cadet
^^. That's good. I really didn't want you to screw up anything workout wise. Just be careful. It can get dangerous if ya don't know whatcha doin.

Slaps

Smash Lord
NNID
iSlaps
I guess Luigi's Mansion should be a neutral. So should Hyrule Temple. After all, you can just stand there and not get hurt, right?

There is no defined rule by which you can declare a stage to be neutral. You have to take everything about it from the size to the platforms to the matchups to the hazards, etc.

Yoshi's Island, for example, I don't think is a neutral because the uneven floor gives an advantage to campy spacies. The significant platform coverage makes a character with a good juggle game significantly better, and the sides make characters with a good gimp game slightly better. It's a great counterpick, but I don't see it as neutral.

@Hylian, a lot of matchup discussion is implied in the way we talk about the stages. Complaining about wall infinites on PS1 obviously includes matchups with DDD, for example.
Dude I'm not saying Luigi's should be neutral its just thats all I define neutral stages as in MY opinion! So don't assume that thats all I think a neutral stage should be... I know there are certain things that must be taken into account before declaring it neutral.

Oh God! Not LYLAT!!!

Rudementry

Smash Journeyman
There is no amount of skill or practice that can make up for lylat's edges. Fd, easy, just takes practice.
PS1 isn't great, but it can be overcome, the worst part about it is not knowing what part of the edge you can grab, sure if you spent enough time around ps1's edge's you'd be a natural, but Lylat is nothing like any other stage edgewise. First of all, if I'm directly below the stage, I can't get back. Fd I can easy, I can just slant my firefox, lylat, no, there is no slant. Now then, what if I'm directly horizontal to the edge. I side b or fire fox. Oh woops the edge tilted 5 cm up during my firefox/illusion frames and I'm litterally breathing on the edge but nope, can't grab it. What can I do about it? Oh yeah, I can compensate and try to fire fox higher up but oh wait, no, that leaves me completely open to unpunishable edgehogging. Lylat is just ridiculous. Not too mention the background is distracting.

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
Sounds good to me, Sudai. And this time we'll do it, FOR VAPOREON'S SAKE. Reverse 5 stock on japes, or a really close match as other like to call it, will be AVENGED.
Just counterpick me to Corneria and watch me get reversed 5-stocked... it hurt.

Ihatedphatoncorneria

Sudai

Stuff here
Sudai if you make plans to come down get LEE to go with you.
I doubt Lee'll come. He'd have to drive 5 hours by himself to make it to me and then another 5 hours to Dallas. I'll ask him though. He might come if I convince r0ni and a few others from Lee's area to come too.

Sounds good to me, Sudai. And this time we'll do it, FOR VAPOREON'S SAKE. Reverse 5 stock on japes, or a really close match as other like to call it, will be AVENGED.
Haha. I'm still mad at myself for that Japes match. We did awesome, yes, but I SD'd twice. Once at the beginning and the second time in that Klap Trap. :/

We definitely should have done better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom