• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Defense of the Ancients [DotA], A Warcraft III UMS

missedwithtruestrike

Smash Journeyman
a few questions....is g arena better than b-net, is it free, is it worth getting?
a friend and i are considering it but he raged and turned off his comp cuz he had a few bad games lol.

Miharu

Smash Hero
In terms of latency reduction, and overall stability, yes GGC is superior to BNet. Skill level of the average pub game is also slightly higher than what you normally find on East/West.

So in short, yes it's worth getting (it's free).

missedwithtruestrike

Smash Journeyman
thanx once again miharu, so its DL than play? also, i noticed teh title change...whats UMS? (sorry, im a knowledge *****, i have lots of stupid questions)

Miharu

Smash Hero
Yeah, just DL it and you can play through GGC itself (it launches WC3 by itself etc).

UMS = Used Map Settings

missedwithtruestrike

Smash Journeyman
***** is starred out? i didnt know they starred *****, huh? so...is sniper a good or bad hero, i hear both about him, hes my favorite so my opinion would be biased. i know he doesnt come w an escape built in and that hes really fragile but i dont see too much wrong with him. he can farm pretty well w/scattershot if you buy a null or two, hp can be fixed early w/just a bracer than str treads, and than lothars is pretty helpful for staying alive. oh, and he can safely hit most heroes because of his range for at least a hit or 2.

Miharu

Smash Hero
He's pretty bad.

Scattershot is an inferior farming tool when compared to skills such as Shadowraze/Chain Lightining; also, a skill that forces you to buy nulls/arcane in order to have an available manapool isn't too great (considering that Sniper's primary role is to DPS).

He still won't have any damage; at the very least he needs BKB + something to be able to do moderate amounts of DPS. However, take a hero like Shadowfiend and give him the same amount of items, and you'll see why Sniper isn't picked at all. Not to mention that SF is no longer a top pick in competitive play (usually picked 6/7/8/9/10 these days, and not even).

Bottom line is, sniper needs too much farm to be useful, and if you give that same amount of farm to a decent hard carry/semi-carry, they'll have a much larger impact on the outcome ofthe game than sniper would.

For example, a Spectre with Diffusal+Radiance vs a Sniper with Lothars/BKB. You get my point.

Miharu

Smash Hero
Centaur's a decent pick, although somewhat situational; globals such as Zeus/Spec thoroughly **** with him (same with Visage's revenants) since his core is VG/Hood followed immediately by dagger.

But yeah, he serves well as a tank/initiator and is one of the best junglers early (max return over stomp).

Weimdog

Smash Journeyman
I already saw that tinker replay you posted. Good god Yamateh moves quick. I can't do that on my own vs AI. I hadn't peeked into the competitive scene since 6.48b... I was shocked to see meepo ****, and other previously joke-picks like Gondar and PL actually do well in other GGC streams. I really hope rhasta makes it back.

Miharu

Smash Hero
Rhasta really needs a manacost buff on his skills (way too mana intensive). Also the concept of disabling yourself to disable another hero is pretty average; even the CD is nice, Rhasta is still squishy + any ministun/stun will cancel shackles.

Then there's the issue with his horrid MS.

The CD buff on wards was nice though. Both him and CM need a few more buffs until we see them back in the competitive scene again :D

With that being said, the nerf to truesight/vision in general and the Diffusal buff made SA a ridiculously strong pick (combined with his backstab buff since blinkstrike now automatically places you at the back of a unit). Funny to see him getting banned or FP'd in competitive games.

Then you have BH as the natural SA counter, which is pretty amusing as well.

The initial craze over Meepo died out imo after people learned that mass AoE stun/burst destroys Meepo. Then there was the horrid Geostrike nerf :[

-Yeah, Shivas/BKB/Scythe/Linkens/Manta/BoTs is pretty nice. In 62 minutes, no less.

Weimdog

Smash Journeyman
Well it was fun playing with you ... miharu? kyou? Even though I fed lol. Definately need to get some more practice.
SA can hit like a truck with his backstab and some cheap items, it's true.
Hopefully we can play again sometime.

Miharu

Smash Hero
Channel toga if you want to do a casual IH or whatever.

kYou- is from Kyou Fujibayashi. Too bad I didn't like Clannad so much after I found out they were using the Nagisa arc :[

Miharu

Smash Hero
Shouldn't be.

DotA games are found under "Warcraft III RPG." So many people play DotA on GGC that it got its own section separate from ladder.

missedwithtruestrike

Smash Journeyman
* double post and proud of it*
so, this guy tango's himself into to the back of our base, we are sentinal and he is pl, if that matters, after that he runs to the circles of power and starts taking items! is that legal...i hope not.

Miharu

Smash Hero
Well, seeing as that's a relatively new addition, there aren't really any rules addressing that particular behavior, so I'm going to go ahead and say that it's perfectly legal.

Then again, if he can afford to take the time/money to do such a thing, the game's probably not worth playing anyways.

Also, get a crow.

Gerudo Warrior

Smash Master
sorry bout the absence lads.. too much wow. Anyway, having a lan party tormrow, hope im not too rusty. Will be posting replays up for tips and what not.

missedwithtruestrike

Smash Journeyman
HOW THE HELL DO I PLAY A GOOD CHEN!? seriously though...i cant do it. i need tips, or help, or to be stabbed in the leg until i improve, whatever it takes.
edit: also, if your tips/stabbing help me ill love you forever. (dont let that scare you away.)

Miharu

Smash Hero
go watch replays of lasthitmagic's (sorcery's) chen

probably the best chen atm

his team is currently TPL, older replays may have him under H2O/Shakens

Miharu

Smash Hero
There's a general guide out there.

But DPS (aka hard carry) is your typical lategame carry whose job is to farm for most of early/mid game so they can do physical damage later. (SA, Spectre, TB, etc)

Support is pretty much anything that doesn't fall into the above category. However, you can narrow it down into a few momre categories:

Ganker: Something that ganks, who would've thought? (NA/VS/Veno/Lion/Lina/etc)

Semicarry: Usually farms a sheep, or just serves as a secondary carry that farms less and ganks/pushes more, leaving "more" farm for the primary carry. (QoP/PotM/SF/etc)

It gets more complicated.

Miharu

Smash Hero
Veno's too good now. AoE SS (Venomous Gale) and lethal poison sting are amazing.

New Storm is a good chaser/ganker/jungler, too bad he doesn't bring any DPS to the table. Still really don't know what to make of him at this point. The mass slows and blink are nice though.

Weimdog

Smash Journeyman
Hmmm have yet to try veno. Heartstopper aura back to necrolyte! woo woo
Lets play a game sometime soon, I had a blast with you and your friends

Esoteric

Smash Apprentice
Dirge the Unfair is his new name. ;]

Also the new Storm Spirit is ****ing ********, sorry. Being able to grapple around like Spider-Man is just dumb. Having no cooldown on that spell is silly. I don't understand why he was even changed to begin with though. The original SS was fine if you built him correctly. Deso + crit ***** on him so hard.

Miharu

Smash Hero
Dirge the Unfair is his new name. ;]

Also the new Storm Spirit is ****ing ********, sorry. Being able to grapple around like Spider-Man is just dumb. Having no cooldown on that spell is silly. I don't understand why he was even changed to begin with though. The original SS was fine if you built him correctly. Deso + crit ***** on him so hard.
He still doesn't do too much. You only have one true disable (Vortex), and while a 0 cd blink is useful at times (ok most of the time), traveling distances w/ it quickly depletes your mana pool, and he's not that useful in lane.

Makes an excellent chaser after you get bloodstone/scythe, but before that he's only mediocre (not dying is one thing, but you're equally useless if you can't do anything while alive).

Icefrog tweaks/buffs/nerfs heroes with the end goal of making them usable in competitive play while not being imbabroken in pubs. A good example of this would be Zeus/Warlock/PotM/ES, who both have remained virtually untouched through the past few stables. It's really hard to achieve a fine balance like that with all of the heroes (most likely impossible).

Weimdog, we should be doing more casual ihing this weekend, since we just got off a string of days where we had scrims/league matches every day, just drop by whenever you want to play.

**** You Veno.
ey u like my deso zeus tho LOL (****talked those ******s so badly)

Miharu

Smash Hero
Sniper isn't used in competitive play (he's a terrible hero).

Can't find any Centaur replays; he hasn't been picked for a while either.

Esoteric

Smash Apprentice
Played the new Dirge and he's actually not as bad as everyone was making him out to be. Tombstone is awesome though. I like the new Dirge over the old one.

missedwithtruestrike

Smash Journeyman
so...havent posted in here in a while, so im back, with more questions im too lazy to find elsewhere!
firstoff, do i have a decent ursa build (note that i play pubs almost exculsivly) start out with a few stouts, lane till level 4 or 5, hit the jungle till im level 8, have my valds, a breacer and my ult, after that i solo rosh (round the 10 minute mark consistantly) after, i end up 2 vans, BoT, good ole blinky, butterfly, and one spot for the aegies every 10 minutes, if the game goes long enough i drop one van for a lothars, and one for a HoT.

Top Bottom