• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Death Note

Handorin

Smash Hero
o man, I hope that manga is made into anime cause I would love to see it, but I don't really read manga. this series is just so good...
If you read the post before yours, you would have found the asnwer.

JUMPING_YOSHI

Smash Cadet
I agree that this one is really nice,mostly because it IS the most sadistic and interesting manga
I have read.And now I am hooked on it.

The Mad Hatter

Smash Ace
So I have a question. It says "the DEATH NOTE will be rendered useless if the victims name is misspelled four times." Does that mean the entire note or just the one pertaining to the victim?

tmw_redcell

ULTRA GORGEOUS
BRoomer
Yeah. I think there's a related rule that says if you misspell someone's name on purpose four times so as to protect them, something bad happens I forget what. They die, you die, or both.

Handorin

Smash Hero
But at one point, doesnt Light spell somone's name out four different ways to make sure he died? I think it was near the begining.

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
I don't think it was four times, but yeah, I remember him trying different ways of spelling that biker guys name in the first episode

okoya123

Smash Apprentice
i was wondering when someone was going to do a topic on this but yea it was too short but really good but the manga on the other hand is pretty good but doesnt Light become a shigami when he dies

Handorin

Smash Hero
I was wondering when someone was going to do a topic on this. It was too short, but really good. The manga on the other hand is pretty good, but doesn't Light become a shigami when he dies?
I fixed it so I could understand it better. XD

We don't know.

The Mad Hatter

Smash Ace
So that rule thing was really pissing me off so I had to find it. The other part the the rule is "If a DEATH NOTE owner accidentally misspells a name four times, that person will be free from being killed by the DEATH NOTE, However, if they intentionally misspell the name four time, the DEATH NOTE owner will die." (episode 30 I think)

Is there some place with all the rules?

Cereal Rabbit

Smash Lord
So that rule thing was really pissing me off so I had to find it. The other part the the rule is "If a DEATH NOTE owner accidentally misspells a name four times, that person will be free from being killed by the DEATH NOTE, However, if they intentionally misspell the name four time, the DEATH NOTE owner will die." (episode 30 I think)

Is there some place with all the rules?
Written rules
The human whose name is written in this note shall die.

This note will not take effect unless the writer has the subject's face in their mind when writing his/her name. Therefore, people sharing the same name will not be affected.

If the cause of death is written within 40 seconds of writing the subject's name, it will happen.

If the cause of death is not specified, the subject will simply die of a heart attack.
After writing the cause of death, the details of the death should be written in the next 6 minutes and 40 seconds (400 seconds).

Wikipedia :D

L__

Smash Master
Death Note

How to use it
I​

The human whose name is written in this note shall die.

This note will not take effect unless the writer has the Person's face in their mind when writing his/her name. Therefore, people sharing the same name will not be affected.

If the cause of death is written within 40 seconds of writing the person's name, it will happen.

If the cause of death is not specified, the person will simply die of a heart attack.

After writing the cause of death, details of the death should be in the next 6 minutes and 40 seconds.

Death Note
How to use it

II

This note shall become the property of the human world once it touches the ground of arrives in the human world.

The owner of the note can recognize the image and voice of its original owner, i.e. a god of death.

The human who uses this note can neither go to heaven nor hell.

Death Note
How to use it

III​

...nvm PM me if you want to know any rules. I have a Death Note. (It has all the rules and stuff, as well as all the names Light Yagami wrote in the movies. No, it does not have L Lawliet at the end; where he writes his name down in the beginning.

Zanoske

Smash Journeyman
(taken from my other post in a related thread)

I basically love that anime and actually watched it DUBBED on adult swim. But I just discovered someone about Light's name.

WARNING: Those who love Light's last name and takes it serious, leave now and get killed by Ryuk.

Yagami Light

Now if we were to switch the letters backwards! It would make

Imagay Light For those who still do not understand, It sounds like I-ma-gay Light

But if we were to switch the M and the A, it would sound like this

Iamgay Light

OMG I AM GAY LIGHT RID ME OF THE WORLD AS I VIOLATED MISA-MISA.

*JEALOUS OF ABOVE POST FOR HAVING A DEATH NOTE*
dont kill me please

L__

Smash Master
(taken from my other post in a related thread)

I basically love that anime and actually watched it DUBBED on adult swim. But I just discovered someone about Light's name.

WARNING: Those who love Light's last name and takes it serious, leave now and get killed by Ryuk.

Yagami Light

Now if we were to switch the letters backwards! It would make

Imagay Light For those who still do not understand, It sounds like I-ma-gay Light

But if we were to switch the M and the A, it would sound like this

Iamgay Light

OMG I AM GAY LIGHT RID ME OF THE WORLD AS I VIOLATED MISA-MISA.

*JEALOUS OF ABOVE POST FOR HAVING A DEATH NOTE*
dont kill me please

FYI, that joke is insanely old. x_x

Time to research your name and kill you.

._."

RedPeppers

Smash Ace
I was thinking about checking this out, and then I saw the thread. How adult is this show? Like is it just the mature underlying themes about death and murder? Or is it Violent and sexually perverse too? I'm the type of guy who will play RE4, and then not watch the usual perverted piece of crap movie(they suck, sry), just curios.

Overload

Smash Lord
I just started watching it about two days ago, watched the first 27 episodes and really like it.

L__

Smash Master
I just started watching it about two days ago, watched the first 27 episodes and really like it.

Seriously.

But I'd like Light more if the Death Note didn't change his personality so much.

L > Light > Teru Mikami/Misa > Kira

Señor L

Smash Rookie
Have you ever heard of a thing called the internetz? But yeah this manga/anime is one of the best. Sucks for L though, he got killed and replaced...

Master WGS

Smash Lord
The series was great for me, until a certain point...

When L died, they should have ended it. What an awesome twist to finish off a at-that-point great series. No one seems to ever end a series with the bad guy winning, so it would have been awesome.

Up until that, though, probably my favorite animated series.

Handorin

Smash Hero
They did end it when he died. They just made another season after that. ;)

Puddin

Smash Lord
I think Light is a pretty cool guy, eh
kills L
and doesn't afraid of anything.

:laugh:

In all seriousness I think it's a pretty good Anime/Manga. I hate Near though, he's such a little prick IMO.

G&W Fan

Smash Rookie
I thought Death Note, for the most part, was a great manga series. It was the series that got me into manga/anime. Obviously, it was at it's best in the beginning, up to the Youtsuba Kira bit, which for me was Death Note's version of filler, showing what the world would be like had Light not picked up the Death Note. I found that boring. For me, the two best bits of the series were when 1. The second Kira, who turned out to be Misa, had her tapes broadcast on Sakura TV. Way to make an immediate impact. The other great part of the series is where Light has the busjacker touch the Death Note so he flips when he sees Ryuk. As for L's death, I think it was a good way for him to die. His name shouldn't have been revealed because just his name, L, it emphases what an unusual character he is, and allows him to remain mysterious, like he was at the beginning of the series when Lind L. Tailor was killed off. My only problem with his death scene is it was too obvious. You knew that you were going to see L die and there was nothing you could do about it. It was sort of a sinking feeling. A similar thing happens at the end of the first arc of FullMetal Alchemist (I won't spoil it here, spoiler within a spoiler hehe) which really got me down.
Once Light gave his notebook to Yotsuba, I lost enthusiasm for the series. It got too complicated at times. What had been a simple L vs Light battle had changed as loads of minor characters took centre stage for only a couple of chapters, such as Soichiro and Sayu during Sayu's kidnapping and the storming of Mello's hideout. Also Demegawa during the attack on Near's headquarters. My enthusiasm returned with the introduction of Teru Mikami and re-introduction of Kiyomi Takada. Takada's re-introduction came as a huge shock, I found it amazing that Light's representative was somebody close to him, and also Mikami's introduction pretty much let Misa off the hook. It looked like everything was coming together for Light and he would achieve victory and I was excited to see how the final blow to Near would be dealt, or, how the tables would be turned on Light. So imagine my dissapointment when Light declares victory seconds before the SPK is meant to be wiped out. I was saddened because Light's character had suddenly been changed in the moment of truth just so the creators could force an end at 108 chapters. They tried too hard to force an ending in Near's favour and the only way that could be done was to change Light's personality beyond recognition, which ultimately created a really bad ending. If anybody has read How to Read 13, they will understand me.
I think my favourite character in the series was definitely Teru Mikami. The way they introduced him in detail, his background, his motives for supporting Kira, was quite brilliant. Out of all the characters, he belonged in Death Note the most, with the possible exception of Higuchi.
I think L was my second favourite. He was just so unique in the way he did things that it was impossible not to like him. My only gripe about him was that even though he would say that Light was a friend to him, he seemed as if he'd only be satisfied if Light was Kira.
The character I disliked the most was Near. He cheated. And he was obsessed with victory and being No.1. He was a bad winner. L was a liar, but Light could compete with him, and they played mindgames with each other, which was entertaining. Near cut corners, he just assumed things and turned out to be right, of course if he was wrong then the series couldn't end at 108 chapters.
I don't understand why people disliked Misa. She was very loyal and honest about things, and she was a very determined person. She was a bit of a brat sometimes, but I found that quite clever, how a girl who'd lost her parents in tragic circumstances could be so strong, and also so happy.
I think the best idea as far as the notebook goes was the Shinigami Eyes. It always threatened to be an important plot twist, but all it really did was re-inforce the main characters personalities. For example, Light would never trade for the Shinigami eyes, showing that he was determined to have a long and proud reign as the god of the new world, whilst Misa and Mikami admired him so much and would do simply anything to just get a share of that power, in their minds as a reward for helping light, even if it meant that their lives were shortened.
Well, that's my take on the Death Note manga. I'm yet to watch the anime. I probably never will, since it seems to be pretty much the same except from the very end.

istudying

Smash Lord
Have anyone seen the real ( with real people) Death Note movie, its made well and i really like it.
I am advicing people to watch this movie.

L__

Smash Master
I thought Death Note, for the most part, was a great manga series. It was the series that got me into manga/anime. Obviously, it was at it's best in the beginning, up to the Youtsuba Kira bit, which for me was Death Note's version of filler, showing what the world would be like had Light not picked up the Death Note. I found that boring. For me, the two best bits of the series were when 1. The second Kira, who turned out to be Misa, had her tapes broadcast on Sakura TV. Way to make an immediate impact. The other great part of the series is where Light has the busjacker touch the Death Note so he flips when he sees Ryuk. As for L's death, I think it was a good way for him to die. His name shouldn't have been revealed because just his name, L, it emphases what an unusual character he is, and allows him to remain mysterious, like he was at the beginning of the series when Lind L. Tailor was killed off. My only problem with his death scene is it was too obvious. You knew that you were going to see L die and there was nothing you could do about it. It was sort of a sinking feeling. A similar thing happens at the end of the first arc of FullMetal Alchemist (I won't spoil it here, spoiler within a spoiler hehe) which really got me down.
Once Light gave his notebook to Yotsuba, I lost enthusiasm for the series. It got too complicated at times. What had been a simple L vs Light battle had changed as loads of minor characters took centre stage for only a couple of chapters, such as Soichiro and Sayu during Sayu's kidnapping and the storming of Mello's hideout. Also Demegawa during the attack on Near's headquarters. My enthusiasm returned with the introduction of Teru Mikami and re-introduction of Kiyomi Takada. Takada's re-introduction came as a huge shock, I found it amazing that Light's representative was somebody close to him, and also Mikami's introduction pretty much let Misa off the hook. It looked like everything was coming together for Light and he would achieve victory and I was excited to see how the final blow to Near would be dealt, or, how the tables would be turned on Light. So imagine my dissapointment when Light declares victory seconds before the SPK is meant to be wiped out. I was saddened because Light's character had suddenly been changed in the moment of truth just so the creators could force an end at 108 chapters. They tried too hard to force an ending in Near's favour and the only way that could be done was to change Light's personality beyond recognition, which ultimately created a really bad ending. If anybody has read How to Read 13, they will understand me.
I think my favourite character in the series was definitely Teru Mikami. The way they introduced him in detail, his background, his motives for supporting Kira, was quite brilliant. Out of all the characters, he belonged in Death Note the most, with the possible exception of Higuchi.
I think L was my second favourite. He was just so unique in the way he did things that it was impossible not to like him. My only gripe about him was that even though he would say that Light was a friend to him, he seemed as if he'd only be satisfied if Light was Kira.
The character I disliked the most was Near. He cheated. And he was obsessed with victory and being No.1. He was a bad winner. L was a liar, but Light could compete with him, and they played mindgames with each other, which was entertaining. Near cut corners, he just assumed things and turned out to be right, of course if he was wrong then the series couldn't end at 108 chapters.
I don't understand why people disliked Misa. She was very loyal and honest about things, and she was a very determined person. She was a bit of a brat sometimes, but I found that quite clever, how a girl who'd lost her parents in tragic circumstances could be so strong, and also so happy.
I think the best idea as far as the notebook goes was the Shinigami Eyes. It always threatened to be an important plot twist, but all it really did was re-inforce the main characters personalities. For example, Light would never trade for the Shinigami eyes, showing that he was determined to have a long and proud reign as the god of the new world, whilst Misa and Mikami admired him so much and would do simply anything to just get a share of that power, in their minds as a reward for helping light, even if it meant that their lives were shortened.
Well, that's my take on the Death Note manga. I'm yet to watch the anime. I probably never will, since it seems to be pretty much the same except from the very end.
...Post of the Year. OMG I LOVE YOU.

Have anyone seen the real ( with real people) Death Note movie, its made well and i really like it.
I am advicing people to watch this movie.

I did watch the real movie. The first one was decent, but the actor for Light was hideous.

._.

OMG MISA WAS ...great. ;)

The third movie made me depressed as hell though, L! D;

Miztik

Smash Master
DEATH NOTE is probably the best anime iv watched next to Naruto but i really think they should have ended it after L died

i dont care to much for the second season i guess it would be called its not as exciting/intense IMO

Puddin

Smash Lord
As good as Death Note is, live action movies about Anime never end well, usually with a snicker from the audience. Well for me at least. I snickered at this ridiculous transition.

Ori_bro

ignite the fire
i have to watch it all again i missed a few episodes and i lost the story line completely

Advent Lee

Smash Ace
Hands down my personal fav anime. I have seen it all, manga, anime, and movie and all I can say is beautiful.... just beautiful.

Besides its one of the FEW animes where the main character Lite Yagami/Kira or even the antagonist L are my favorite characters.

-advent-

karthik_king

Smash Ace
I dont want to make a new topic...

But I just finished Death Note.

GREATEST ANIME EVER.

Light was badass and L was amazing. I HATE NEAR+MELLO SO MUCH.

Scott!

Smash Lord
I don't get all the Near hate. I enjoyed his quirks. Not as much as L, who is one of the most commonly loved characters who, to me, still isn't overrated, but Near is still pretty cool. I love all of his toys.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
I found Near boring. Mello was alright... The series high point was definitely L. Even together, I didn't get the feeling that Near and Mello could beat Light. It kinda felt like Light losing was fan service to the L fanboys, tbh.

#HBC | Mac

Nobody loves me
BRoomer
what? eor starting an anime thread?

if you guys liked death note, you'd fall in love with Monster.

Top Bottom