• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

DC vs. Marvel: Infinity Crisis

PinkFlare

Previously 1SecondNinja
Going by the polls, Ra's al Ghul will be Magneto's rival, while Loki will be the Joker's rival!

As for the magic nominees, here they are:

View attachment 358774

-Doctor Fate ( PinkFlare PinkFlare )
-Black Adam ( Tankman from Newgrounds Tankman from Newgrounds )
-Mr. Mxyzptlk ( Megadoomer Megadoomer )
-The Spectre ( Oddball Oddball )
-Etrigan (@Darkonedagger)
-Deadman ( KneeOfJustice99 KneeOfJustice99 )
-Timothy Hunter ( homdertalia homdertalia )
-Lucifer Morningstar ( Infinity Sorcerer Infinity Sorcerer )
-Dream ( DragonRobotKing26 DragonRobotKing26 )
-Vixen (@osby )

We'll do ranked voting, like usual; list your top three, and your own nomination can't be in first.

1. Black Adam
2. Vixen
3. Etrigan

Also, this explains why I'm not familiar with DC's magic side - I haven't read the Vertigo imprint, or even looked into it beyond knowing that it exists.

(also, thanks, Infinity Sorcerer Infinity Sorcerer , for doing a Constantine moveset - as I said before, my main familiarity with the character is through the (by my understanding) inaccurate Keanu Reeves movie, and all I could find online is "he's not great at magic, but he's good at tricking people", which wasn't much to build a moveset off of)

---

Job 94: nominate a magic user from Marvel

Same sort of idea as before; here's a shorter list of Marvel's magic users, and here's a more in-depth one. (though I don't know how accurate they are - one of the characters in the first list is Harry Osborn) Choices range from characters like Scarlet Witch, the Black Knight, Shuma-Gorath, Dormammu, Mephisto, or even Howard the Duck. (when I saw him on the list, I thought he might have used magic as a one-time thing, but apparently he had enough skill at it that even Doctor Strange recognized his potential)
1. Black Adam
2. Doctor Fate
3. The Spectre

Edit: These votes were changed upon further reflection. Spectre would be great and unexpected, but I definitely want Black Adam to make the roster at some point

Job 94: Magic Marvel Character
THE SCARLET WITCH
Alias: Wanda Maximoff
First Appearance: The X-Men #4 (March, 1964)

When it comes to magic and Marvel, the first character my mind shoots to is... Doctor Strange! But right behind him is of course, the one and only Scarlet Witch! From villain to hero, X-Men to the Avengers, and obscure character to breakout TV star, Wanda has one of the most rich and complex histories among Marvel's cast of heroes; Being born as Magneto's daughter and fighting against the X-Men in the Brotherhood of Mutants, to turning over a new leaf and joining the Avengers are a core, recurring member, going toe to toe with powerful magic and cosmic foes, and having to experience the tragedy of losing the ones she loved; both on screen and on panel. And she has a robot fetish.

It's not a secret that Wanda is one of the most powerful magic characters in the Marvel Universe; In the MCU, she nearly killed Thanos in a one on one fight, threatened the fabric of the Multiverse, and subconsciously mind-controlled an entire town; but in the comics... this distinction does not change! Witchcraft, casting illusions, teleportation, telekinesis, necromancy, and flight all rank among her regular abilities, but 616 Wanda is known for having done some powerful feats; Her mutant genes have granted her the ability to manipulate the elements, time, and even warp reality, which she famously did so when she wiped the entirety of mutantkind out of existence with just a few simple words. In fact, Wanda is infamous for having uncontrollable reality warping powers in the comics, which not even Professor X and Doctor Strange were able to counter. Imagine a moveset based around changing the environment and reality of the fight in the moment of an attack; Wanda has no shortage of moveset potential whatsoever, that's for sure,

Reasons for Inclusion: Her popularity has skyrocketed in recent years due to the MCU, to the point where she now stands as both one of Marvel's premiere female heroes and Magic users. Her history among both the X-Men and the Avengers allows her to dual represent both franchises, which, by the way, are definitely short in fighters in comparison to the Justice League; She also has never appeared in a fighting game before, making her inclusion mark as another brand new character in the genre.
Honestly, to me, it'd be hard to imagine Marvel's magic library without her in it, so I'm putting the nomination on the table.

Last edited:

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
the building from smash mouth's astro lounge
Going by the polls, Ra's al Ghul will be Magneto's rival, while Loki will be the Joker's rival!

As for the magic nominees, here they are:

View attachment 358774

-Doctor Fate ( PinkFlare PinkFlare )
-Black Adam ( Tankman from Newgrounds Tankman from Newgrounds )
-Mr. Mxyzptlk ( Megadoomer Megadoomer )
-The Spectre ( Oddball Oddball )
-Etrigan (@Darkonedagger)
-Deadman ( KneeOfJustice99 KneeOfJustice99 )
-Timothy Hunter ( homdertalia homdertalia )
-Lucifer Morningstar ( Infinity Sorcerer Infinity Sorcerer )
-Dream ( DragonRobotKing26 DragonRobotKing26 )
-Vixen (@osby )

We'll do ranked voting, like usual; list your top three, and your own nomination can't be in first.

1. Black Adam
2. Vixen
3. Etrigan

Also, this explains why I'm not familiar with DC's magic side - I haven't read the Vertigo imprint, or even looked into it beyond knowing that it exists.

(also, thanks, Infinity Sorcerer Infinity Sorcerer , for doing a Constantine moveset - as I said before, my main familiarity with the character is through the (by my understanding) inaccurate Keanu Reeves movie, and all I could find online is "he's not great at magic, but he's good at tricking people", which wasn't much to build a moveset off of)

---

Job 94: nominate a magic user from Marvel

Same sort of idea as before; here's a shorter list of Marvel's magic users, and here's a more in-depth one. (though I don't know how accurate they are - one of the characters in the first list is Harry Osborn) Choices range from characters like Scarlet Witch, the Black Knight, Shuma-Gorath, Dormammu, Mephisto, or even Howard the Duck. (when I saw him on the list, I thought he might have used magic as a one-time thing, but apparently he had enough skill at it that even Doctor Strange recognized his potential)
1. Doctor Fate. He feels like a really obvious pick. However, that's not a bad thing - the magic-user archetype has a lot of potential to be very different to Strange, and I think Fate would be a brilliant addition.
2. Etrigan the Demon. HE'S A DEMON. WHAT MORE SHOULD I HAVE TO JUSTIFY
3. Mr. Mxyzptlk. I think his cartoon-inspired hijinks, taking inspiration from some of the weird and wacky things taking place in the Golden Age of comics, would be fun to see... even if I'm not sure he'd be a good "magic rep".

And as for a magic-user...

Job #94:
Character Name: Black Knight
Character Origin: Avengers #49 (Oct. 1967
)

Another character tangentially related to Britain, this time it's one with a more prominent history - Dane Whitman. Whilst he doesn't have any outright superpowers, Whitman has exceptional skill in riding horses as well as with swordfighting. His moveset is mostly focused around his Ebony Blade, a cursed sword that can cut through any object and reflect magic, but will drag the user into mental anguish if it ever tastes blood. However, he could also potentially use horses (look at Johnny and Gyro in All-Star Battle for how this could work) as well as other tools such as the Power Lance used by the older, villainous Black Knight for more variety. Overall, his moveset relies somewhat on mid-distance attacking - letting people get too close means he can't attack with as much power, so he needs to keep his distance to effectively prosper.

Infinity Sorcerer

Smash Champion
  1. Dr. Fate
  2. Timothy Hunter
  3. The Spectre
Ngl this one was thoughter than what I expected, all the other submissions are great!

For the new job I will submit Magik...no wait someone already did it, ok then my submission would be Scarlet Witch...who was also submitted too! It isnt bad at all of course is all the opposite but it means that now I need to think a little more in my submission so for the moment lets just say that I will do nothing.

(also, thanks, Infinity Sorcerer Infinity Sorcerer Infinity Sorcerer Infinity Sorcerer , for doing a Constantine moveset - as I said before, my main familiarity with the character is through the (by my understanding) inaccurate Keanu Reeves movie, and all I could find online is "he's not great at magic, but he's good at tricking people", which wasn't much to build a moveset off of)
Ngl it was hard, very hard, I required to think a lot and search a lot since well if you say that your only knowledge comes from the Keanu Reeves film well my knowledge goes to the 2 random volumes of Hellblazer, his appearence in DC Legends of Tomorrow and the animations of the DCAU, its more but dont having too much knowledge of the original Vertigo incarnatiok make me quite overcomplicate myself. But at least I'm quite happy with the results.

I would probably do another moveset tomorrow since today I dont think I would have the time, but maybe would do some win quites again.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

1. Fate
2. Etrigan
3. Vixen

Nico Minoru
A member of the Runaways. The daughter of dark magicians and the wilder of the powerful Staff of One. An extremely powerful magic user. She would use her magic and could even summon other members of her team. She's the most popular member of the Runaways, becoming involved in other storylines such as being a member of A-Force.

She's clearly a character Marvel like to use, having a starring role in the upcoming Midnight Sons game, and apearing in animated projects, including the upcoming Spider-Man: Freshman Year.

Last edited by a moderator:

homdertalia

Smash Cadet
1. Doctor Fate
2. Timothy Hunter
3. Dream

As for my submission for Job 94, I've selected a character set to make his first live action appearance in the upcoming Ironheart Disney + show. That character, of course, is...

THE HOOD
Parker Robbins was once a petty thief. That was until he killed what turned out to be a demon in an alleyway. After doing so, he took the demon's cloak and boots, which granted him great magical abilities. He used these abilities to amass a criminal empire and become one of the most powerful crooks in the entire Marvel universe. For his moveset, he could utilize many of his magical abilities, including invisibility, the ability to walk on air and electrokinesis. He also utilizes a pair of guns he has enchanted with the Nord Stones, increasing their power. He could also use the Reality and Power Gems as apart of his moveset, as he was in possession of them for a bit in the comics.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047

Elsa Bloodstone

Monster hunter extraordinaire, Elsa Bloodstone had a strict upbringing to say the least - her father had her fight a Blight Beast when she was only a baby, and threw her to a horde of great white sharks to remove her weakness. She fights monsters with powers granted to her by the mystical Bloodgem, along with shotguns, uzis, a shovel, and whatever else she can get her hands on.

Also, her inclusion would mean that this roster has content from Nextwave: Agents of HATE, which is always a plus.

(the series is 12 issues long, and one of those issues is basically nothing but double page spreads like this, filled with the team fighting things like Iron Man babies or Elvis MODOKs)

Last edited:

PinkFlare

Previously 1SecondNinja

Elsa Bloodstone

Monster hunter extraordinaire, Elsa Bloodstone had a strict upbringing to say the least - her father had her fight a Blight Beast when she was only a baby, and threw her to a horde of great white sharks to remove her weakness. She fights monsters with powers granted to her by the mystical Bloodgem, along with shotguns, uzis, a shovel, and whatever else she can get her hands on.

Also, her inclusion would mean that this roster has content from Nextwave: Agents of HATE, which is always a plus.

I should've nominated Elsa. Such a good choice

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I should've nominated Elsa. Such a good choice
Wanda definitely makes sense, though - I'd find it really weird if she hadn't been nominated by now haha.

I was having trouble coming up with someone, since three of the characters that I considered were taken. I briefly thought about nominating Agatha Harkness at one point, possibly to bring up her potential as a puppet fighter with her cat and partially as an excuse to post this:

Last edited:

PinkFlare

Previously 1SecondNinja
Wanda definitely makes sense, though - I'd find it really weird if she hadn't been nominated by now haha.

I was having trouble coming up with someone, since three of the characters that I considered were taken. I briefly thought about nominating Agatha Harkness at one point, possibly to bring up her potential as a puppet fighter with her cat and partially as an excuse to post this:
Oh yeah. I feel like I've been snatching up all the obvious choices, though, so sorry for that. But I'm not gonna stop, so sorry again in advance.

I probably wouldn't have voted for Agatha. She is a cool character but I feel like her popularity is being blown out of proportion just because of WandaVision. Like, does Agatha really need her own show? Elsa definitely has my top vote, regardless of whether I'd be allowed to vote my own nomination or not.
Although I think Agatha would make a nice premiere skin for Wanda (if she's voted in) once we start doing those. There's precedent for it, since she trained Wanda in the comics

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Oh yeah. I feel like I've been snatching up all the obvious choices, though, so sorry for that. But I'm not gonna stop, so sorry again in advance.
No worries - if an obvious character hasn't been nominated yet, then someone might as well nominate them. (Otherwise, everyone might assume that someone else will nominate the character, and then they don't get nominated)

Ngl it was hard, very hard, I required to think a lot and search a lot since well if you say that your only knowledge comes from the Keanu Reeves film well my knowledge goes to the 2 random volumes of Hellblazer, his appearence in DC Legends of Tomorrow and the animations of the DCAU, its more but dont having too much knowledge of the original Vertigo incarnatiok make me quite overcomplicate myself. But at least I'm quite happy with the results.

I would probably do another moveset tomorrow since today I dont think I would have the time, but maybe would do some win quites again.
I'd say it turned out great! Looking forward to your next one, and I'll add the Constantine moveset to the first post soon. (Likely tomorrow morning)

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Here are the results of the DC vote!

Dream: 2
Mr. Mxyzptlk: 3
Lucifer: 3
Timothy Hunter: 4
The Spectre: 6
Vixen: 8
Black Adam: 11
Etrigan: 16
Doctor Fate: 25

As a result, we'll be including Doctor Fate in the roster!

dc magic winner.png

I was surprised to see that Doctor Fate won by such a large amount. It's almost as if his inclusion was fated?

...moving on, here are the nominees for Marvel's magic users:

marvel magic nominees.png

-Dormammu ( Tankman from Newgrounds Tankman from Newgrounds )
-Ned Leeds Magik ( Champion of Hyrule Champion of Hyrule )
-Scarlet Witch ( PinkFlare PinkFlare )
-The Black Knight ( KneeOfJustice99 KneeOfJustice99 )
-Nico Minoru (@Darkonedagger)
-Hela ( Infinity Sorcerer Infinity Sorcerer )
-The Hood ( homdertalia homdertalia )
-Elsa Bloodstone ( Megadoomer Megadoomer )

As usual, vote for your top three, and you can't put your own nomination in first. (I don't know if I have to say this every time, but I figure that we could always get people who are new to the topic)

1. Scarlet Witch
2. Nico Minoru
3. Magik

This was a tough one (Hela gets an honourable mention - it was practically a coin toss between her and Magik), but I'd like to see how Wanda's Chaos Magic or the mechanics of the Staff of One could be implemented in a fighting game.

---

Job 95: nominate Magneto's costumes

As usual, we'll go with Magneto's default costume and 1-7 alternate costumes.

Job 96: rivals for Lex Luthor and Doctor Doom

Who should Luthor and Doom's arcade rivals be? Same as usual, we'll pick a character from the opposing company. (so a Marvel character for Luthor, and a DC character for Doom)

---

As we're nearing the end of the base roster, I plan to have nominations for premiere costumes (such as Reverse Flash or Jay Garrick for the Flash - costumes that change them into a different character who'd have the same build and moveset) at some point, though I'll probably have them in larger groups since not every character is going to have one of them. (Superman has a bunch of potential options, like Bizarro or Cyborg Superman, but someone like the Thing or Ms. Marvel might not have them)

Also, I'm not sure whether to put a limit on how many premiere costumes there are - in Injustice 2, despite the sheer amount of potential, there were only 9 Premiere Skins:
  • Bizarro, for Superman
  • Black Lightning, for Raiden
  • Jay Garrick, for the Flash
  • Grid, for Cyborg
  • John Stewart, for Green Lantern
  • Mister Freeze, for Captain Cold
  • Power Girl, for Supergirl
  • Reverse Flash, for the Flash
  • Vixen, for Cheetah
We can definitely increase that amount, given that this roster is roughly twice the size of the roster of Injustice 2, but I don't want to go overboard and give Superman five different premiere skins, or give Green Lantern skins for a ton of humanoid Green Lanterns, or something like that. (there are some easy ones for the Marvel side, like Abomination for Hulk or Ben Reilly for Spider-Man, so I'm not sure what limit to put on this)

Infinity Sorcerer

Smash Champion
  • Scarlet Witch (kinda inevitable to vote for her first, feels like a must someway)
  • Magik (bias)
  • Black Knight (It feels that he will became very popular in the MCU too)
Shout out to Elsa, Hela, Nico and The Hood. All of them very interesing choices.

I will submit costumes for Magneto later.

As we're nearing the end of the base roster, I plan to have nominations for premiere costumes (such as Reverse Flash or Jay Garrick for the Flash - costumes that change them into a different character who'd have the same build and moveset) at some point, though I'll probably have them in larger groups since not every character is going to have one of them. (Superman has a bunch of potential options, like Bizarro or Cyborg Superman, but someone like the Thing or Ms. Marvel might not have them)

Also, I'm not sure whether to put a limit on how many premiere costumes there are - in Injustice 2, despite the sheer amount of potential, there were only 9 Premiere Skins:
  • Bizarro, for Superman
  • Grid, for Cyborg
  • Vixen, for Cheetah
We can definitely increase that amount, given that this roster is roughly twice the size of the roster of Injustice 2, but I don't want to go overboard and give Superman five different premiere skins, or give Green Lantern skins for a ton of humanoid Green Lanterns, or something like that. (there are some easy ones for the Marvel side, like Abomination for Hulk or Ben Reilly for Spider-Man, so I'm not sure what limit to put on this)
Imo the cap should be two per characters, but only do that for a pair fo characters who are like the most easy choices like Superman (Bizarro, Cyborg Superman), Spider-Man (any Scarlet Spider, Miles Morales? or maybe Miguel O'Hara instead), Flash (Jay Garrick, Reverse Flash thought I would love Godspeed) between some other ones. I think we can have like 10 premiere skins in the base roster and add some of them in DLC that talking about that.

Considering how some characters have a lot more potential than just 8 costumes, guess that we could make some Costume Packs, probably with some tematic like "Future" with skins based on futuristic versions of the characters (take for example various 2099 variants in the Marvel side), these could have characters who are actually different but unlike premiere skins it would only be the base character using the costume and not completely other character (thought in these packs there will always be some space for one of them). Maybe something like:

"Super Duper Awesome Costume Pack 1"
  • Skin 1
  • Skin 2
  • Skin 3
  • Skin 4
  • Premiere Skin

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
For Lex Luthor's rival, I'm going to nominate Thor, while for Doctor Doom, I'm going to nominate Batman.

Thor seems like the closest thing to Superman on Marvel's roster (also, he's a god, which Luthor seems like he'd have a problem with - I could see Luthor acting like this confirms his suspicions about heroes like the Justice League, where he believes that they see themselves as being above humanity), and Doom and Batman are not so different, with Batman's talent for planning and taking on opponents that are way outside of his league rivalling Doom's own.

Last edited:

PinkFlare

Previously 1SecondNinja
Here are the results of the DC vote!

Dream: 2
Mr. Mxyzptlk: 3
Lucifer: 3
Timothy Hunter: 4
The Spectre: 6
Vixen: 8
Black Adam: 11
Etrigan: 16
Doctor Fate: 25

As a result, we'll be including Doctor Fate in the roster!

View attachment 358862
Thank you everyone who voted for Fate! Not that this was otherwise unexpected for anyone who would have nominated him.

...moving on, here are the nominees for Marvel's magic users:

View attachment 358856

-Dormammu ( Tankman from Newgrounds Tankman from Newgrounds )
-Ned Leeds Magik ( Champion of Hyrule Champion of Hyrule )
-Scarlet Witch ( PinkFlare PinkFlare )
-The Black Knight ( KneeOfJustice99 KneeOfJustice99 )
-Nico Minoru (@Darkonedagger)
-Hela ( Infinity Sorcerer Infinity Sorcerer )
-The Hood ( homdertalia homdertalia )
-Elsa Bloodstone ( Megadoomer Megadoomer )

As usual, vote for your top three, and you can't put your own nomination in first. (I don't know if I have to say this every time, but I figure that we could always get people who are new to the topic)

1. Scarlet Witch
2. Nico Minoru
3. Magik

This was a tough one (Hela gets an honourable mention - it was practically a coin toss between her and Magik), but I'd like to see how Wanda's Chaos Magic or the mechanics of the Staff of One could be implemented in a fighting game.

---

Job 95: nominate Magneto's costumes

As usual, we'll go with Magneto's default costume and 1-7 alternate costumes.

Job 96: rivals for Lex Luthor and Doctor Doom

Who should Luthor and Doom's arcade rivals be? Same as usual, we'll pick a character from the opposing company. (so a Marvel character for Luthor, and a DC character for Doom)
Well, here are my Marvel votes:

1. Elsa Bloodstone
- Unexpected, niche popularity, tons of moveset potential, and representative of Marvel's horror library - all around an excellent pick.
2. Black Knight
- Has a lot of unspoken history in Marvel's hero library, and the Ebony Blade would make for such a great moveset mechanic. He should definitely get in at some point.
3. The Scarlet Witch
- Obvious? Yes. But Wanda is definitely up there in terms of popular Marvel characters, it's only natural she'd rank in my top 3. If not for the above two also being excellent choices, and Wanda not being my own nomination, she would rank higher.

Once again, tough choices. I wanted to give a point to Magik, especially given that we don't have a lot of X-Men, but ultimately I felt like Black Knight deserves a spot on this roster, and I also ended up switching my number 2 and 3 spots.
Now, moving on.

Marvel NOW! (Black)

Marvel NOW! (White)

Uncanny X-Men

This is from one of Magneto's many redemption arcs, specifically when he became the headmaster of Xavier's school; having a suit representative of an ongoing reformation for him just felt like a must.

House of M

House of M was a major X-Men storyline; It would feel wrong to not have a costume inspired by it.

Xorn

If I am correct, Xorn was retconned to be a separate character, despite initially being Magneto. I opted to still include this anyway because... it looks cool.

Evolution

We don't actually have a lot of TV-inspired alternates for many of the costumes so far, despite nearly every character on here making an appearance on TV at one point; That isn't necessarily a bad thing though, since this is a very comic-focused project. However, having Magneto's design from Evolution feels fitting, for both the fact that it's one of the most visually distinct Magneto designs, and also because it looks cool. Really cool.

X-Men Blue

Not the armored look, but the one he lead the Blue team with. I know I already picked the Headmaster suit, but this suit also feels justified in having given there was an entire ongoing series dedicated to Magneto leading a primary X-Men team.

This was a bit difficult. There are a lot of other Magneto costumes I almost had in here instead of the 8 I choice; I'll be interested in seeing which suits everyone else has chosen.

Job 96: Rivals
Doctor Doom's should be Plastic Man. Weird, choice, I know, but having Plastic Man as a stand-in for Mr. Fantastic would make for an interesting rivalry between him and Doom, who has a history with the former. Plus, Plastic Man's overly comedic nature is a perfect foil to Doom's dark and evil tone, so the interactions would just be pure gold.
Lex Luthor's should be... I'll go with Doctor Octopus. Doom seems like a sensible choice for Luthor, but I figure Doom should be saved for someone like Black Adam. There isn't a rule saying Rivals can't be repeated but I also don't want to nominate the same rival for multiple characters, even if it fits.

For Lex Luthor's rival, I'm going to nominate Thor...

Thor seems like the closest thing to Superman on Marvel's roster
If you want a Superman equivalent on the Marvel side of the roster, you should vote for one my future nominations. Wink wink.

• Bizarro, for Superman
  • Grid, for Cyborg
  • Vixen, for Cheetah
Discussion: Premiere Skins
I definitely think we should have more than 9 Premiere skins. I don't want to say Injustice was lacking, because a lot of the skins we got were high quality and there wasn't a lot of options, but I also felt like they didn't go as all in as I would've hoped. 9 isn't even a third of I2's roster (including DLC), which is absurd.

For an overall limit, I say we shouldn't have one for the roster, but rather a limit of just 2 Premier Skins per character. I feel like this is fair, because some characters can definitely have more than 1 (Superman, Hulk, Flash, Lantern, Spider-Man, just off the top of my head), and it also wouldn't feel like certain characters are getting too many Premiere skins. The 2 skin limit also doesn't necessarily mean that every character has to get 2 premiere skins, just that the maximum is 2; some characters will have 1, others will have none, and that's perfectly fine. It at least gives us a chance to comb through our entire roster and instead of just an arbitrary number of characters, and see which characters could get a skin and which can't. By doing this, we would also end up with an acceptable skin-to-character ratio anyway, as I don't think we'll even get close to half of 100 premiere skins.

In a hypothetical development scenario, this would seem like we could end up with a lot of skins, which would be a lot of work, but
1) We already have an average of about 8 different models for every character with our costume limit, so if we already put that on the table, than no overall Premier limit should also fit within that perimeter
2) A DC vs. Marvel game would still be a once in a lifetime scenario, so why not go all out?

I also think we should follow Injustice's rule of "No skins with different builds", since that makes changes to the hitbox and base model of the character, and that wouldn't make sense in this context (it's the reason why we didn't get a Batgirl skin for Batman. Well, that and Batgirl already having a unique moveset from the first game).

I do have a question, though: What do we do with characters that could have their own unique moveset? I feel as if right off the bat we will get plenty of nominations for Miles Morales as a Spider-Man skin, or Black Adam as a Shazam skin, but both of those are characters I feel warrant their own spots in the roster as separate characters, not as skins; And I know DLC is definitely going to be a part of this project, so it's not like those characters can't be included in the future.

Considering how some characters have a lot more potential than just 8 costumes, guess that we could make some Costume Packs, probably with some tematic like "Future" with skins based on futuristic versions of the characters (take for example various 2099 variants in the Marvel side), these could have characters who are actually different but unlike premiere skins it would only be the base character using the costume and not completely other character (thought in these packs there will always be some space for one of them). Maybe something like:

"Super Duper Awesome Costume Pack 1"
  • Skin 1
  • Skin 2
  • Skin 3
  • Skin 4
  • Premiere Skin
Aside from what I crossed out, I absolutely agree with this, especially having more normal skins. A lot of characters can have more than just the 8 costumes, and I also feel like some of the costume choices so far have been lackluster (particularly Superman, whose costumes I was not around to vote for). Skin packs seem like the best way to include them, possibly in waves to coincide with DLC character additions, ala Smash; I'm not too keen on doing Themes all the time, but there are also a lot of costumes for several characters that could fit under the same banner.

Last edited:

Infinity Sorcerer

Smash Champion
I do have a question, though: What do we do with characters that could have their own unique moveset? I feel as if right off the bat we will get plenty of nominations for Miles Morales as a Spider-Man skin, or Black Adam as a Shazam skin, but both of those are characters I feel warrant their own spots in the roster as separate characters, not as skins; And I know DLC is definitely going to be a part of this project, so it's not like those characters can't be included in the future.
My answer for that is...
Just use a skin and use the actual character!, while I don't call this "the solution to all problems" I think in the case we end adding a premiere skin has a playable character we can make the premiere skin a regular skin and give all the voice lines to the playable character. Of course in my opinion we should try to have the character potential in mind and try to do premiere skins only for characters that doesn't look to have a moveset different enough to the OG.

Now talking about these, considering that the Level 3 are, at least for the moment, all cinematic attacks with a fixed damage, why not premiere skins have their own Level 3?, it could also work to show the difference between they and OG character. It would still deal the same damage and have the same hitbox.

PinkFlare

Previously 1SecondNinja
My answer for that is...
Just use a skin and use the actual character!, while I don't call this "the solution to all problems" I think in the case we end adding a premiere skin has a playable character we can make the premiere skin a regular skin and give all the voice lines to the playable character. Of course in my opinion we should try to have the character potential in mind and try to do premiere skins only for characters that doesn't look to have a moveset different enough to the OG.

Now talking about these, considering that the Level 3 are, at least for the moment, all cinematic attacks with a fixed damage, why not premiere skins have their own Level 3?, it could also work to show the difference between they and OG character. It would still deal the same damage and have the same hitbox.
I suppose in the event that this happens, then that would be fine. But having playable skins and then having the playable character seems... just weird to me. Like having a Dr. Mario skin for Mario but then still having Dr. Mario in his own spot on the Smash roster.
But in any case I still think those characters shouldn't have premiere skins but rather be their own characters, so I guess the ideal scenario is to not let it happen

If we follow Injustice 2 logic, the super moves would have to be the same. believe Black Lightning and Raiden actually had different varations, but it was the same animation in both events.
I hope you don't mind the cringe dubstep intro

Last edited:

Infinity Sorcerer

Smash Champion
I suppose in the event that this happens, then that would be fine. But having playable skins and then having the playable character seems... just weird to me. Like having a Dr. Mario skin for Mario but then still having Dr. Mario in his own spot on the Smash roster.
But in any case I still think those characters shouldn't have premiere skins but rather be their own characters, so I guess the ideal scenario is to not let it happen

If we follow Injustice 2 logic, the super moves would have to be the same. believe Black Lightning and Raiden actually had different varations, but it was the same animation in both events.
I hope you don't mind the cringe dubstep intro
Yeah has I said it isn't the perfect solution. It would be weird but it would be the best way to prevent it....alternatively we could have the premiere skin has a safe spot and if the characters is after that submitted and then win then the premiere skin could be replaced by another one.

Yeah I remind Injustice 2 supers, but I feel they are like a weak point of them, I mean even if they did some changes to Raiden and Black Lightning all the cinematic feels odd in the second one since it doesn't look like the most regular thing to do for him. So yeah imo even if the idea comes from Injustice no one said that we can't make it better.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Yeah, this is why I wanted to wait until we were close to or already done the base roster. (at least, I wanted to get to the 2000s characters first)

I was thinking of including "None" as an option for the premiere costume polls so that way, if people don't like the choices for one reason or another, or they feel like they don't work with the character (like with Black Adam as a premiere costume for Shazam), we don't necessarily need to have premiere costumes for the character. (heck, Injustice 2 didn't even have premiere costumes for Batman, and I'm sure there are a ton of options out there for him)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I do think some slight model change (mainly gender swap) swaps would be neat. Some cool options there. But sticking to the ij2 rule of same build is probably the best way forward I agree.

Cross universe skins might be interesting. Something like Hyperion for Superman. But might be best to keep it simple there too.

Last edited by a moderator:

PinkFlare

Previously 1SecondNinja
Yeah, this is why I wanted to wait until we were close to or already done the base roster. (at least, I wanted to get to the 2000s characters first)

I was thinking of including "None" as an option for the premiere costume polls so that way, if people don't like the choices for one reason or another, or they feel like they don't work with the character (like with Black Adam as a premiere costume for Shazam), we don't necessarily need to have premiere costumes for the character. (heck, Injustice 2 didn't even have premiere costumes for Batman, and I'm sure there are a ton of options out there for him)
Injustice 2 Legendary Edition actually did add a premier skin for Batman! If you're wondering who it is, it's... Bruce Wayne.
I think that option is best though. At the very least, most people here seem to be on the same page with Miles Morales and Black Adam, so this seems like a non-issue.
On a semi-related note, how long until DLC jobs start happening?

I do think some slight model change (mainly gender swap) swaps would be neat. Some cool options there. But sticking to the ij2 rule of same build is probably the best way forward I agree.

Cross universe skins might be interesting. Something like Hyperion for Superman. But might be best to keep it simple there too.
I considered submitting Spider-Gwen as a swap skin for Spidey, but then I started thinking about the "no-gender swaps" rule and I wasn't too sure about it afterwards. Technically, we haven't adapted that same rule, but there's also a good reason why most, if not all, fighting games don't do it. I suppose this could be it's own vote in the future.

I was also thinking about Cross Universe skins. Particularly for guest characters, and having Homelander as a skin for Superman should we ever decide to have guest characters to begin with. But I also agree on sticking within just the same universe; especially if we do end up having a limit per character. I can name about 5 different Marvel heroes that could be a Superman skin, but then that'd also leave out the potential for other Kryptonians as skins for Supes.

D

Deleted member

I considered submitting Spider-Gwen as a swap skin for Spidey, but then I started thinking about the "no-gender swaps" rule and I wasn't too sure about it afterwards. Technically, we haven't adapted that same rule, but there's also a good reason why most, if not all, fighting games don't do it. I suppose this could be it's own vote in the future.

I was also thinking about Cross Universe skins. Particularly for guest characters, and having Homelander as a skin for Superman should we ever decide to have guest characters to begin with. But I also agree on sticking within just the same universe; especially if we do end up having a limit per character. I can name about 5 different Marvel heroes that could be a Superman skin, but then that'd also leave out the potential for other Kryptonians as skins for Supes.
I'd be down with us having some cross gender skins. Cool options there, especially on the marvel side.

Also a Homelander skin would be extremely funny.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047

Cross-universe skins would be great! I don't know if all of the Squadron Supreme would mesh with their Justice League counterparts, but Nighthawk for Batman could work, and Power Princess is basically Wonder Woman in terms of design. (at the very least, if we do DLC costume packs, that could be a theme, even if it's just the characters wearing a costume of their cross-company counterpart)

As for cross-gender skins, it could work. Some examples might not fit (like Laura Kinney for Wolverine - they may have the same powers, but Wolverine's considerably bulkier), but maybe something like Mar-Vell for Captain Marvel or Jessica Cruz for Green Lantern could be an option. (I'm not familiar with Jessica Cruz or Mar-Vell, so I don't know if they'd fight the same way)

Injustice 2 Legendary Edition actually did add a premier skin for Batman! If you're wondering who it is, it's... Bruce Wayne.
I think that option is best though. At the very least, most people here seem to be on the same page with Miles Morales and Black Adam, so this seems like a non-issue.
On a semi-related note, how long until DLC jobs start happening?
I want to get the base roster done first, though it shouldn't be too long before that happens. Beyond that, I do want to take some time to get further into the list of costumes, especially if DLC costumes are going to be something that we include. (though I feel like DLC costumes will be in smaller amounts, like groups of four costumes with a theme) Costumes seem like pretty popular jobs, though I don't want to do them too close together since they're image-heavy.

Last edited:
Top Bottom