• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

DC Universe Online

Kal

Smash Champion

||Developer||Sony Online Entertainment||
||Publishers||Sony Computer Entertainment, WB Games||
||Series||DC Comics||
||Engine||Unreal Engine 3, Havok (Cloth and Physics)||
||Platforms||PlayStation 3, Microsoft Windows||
||Release dates||NA January 11, 2011, UK January 14, 2011, AUS January 20, 2011||
||Genre||Massively multiplayer online role-playing game||
||Mode||Online only||
||Rating||ESRB: T||
||Media/distribution||Blu-ray Disc, DVD, and Download||

DC Universe™ Online is the only next-generation massively multiplayer online action game that delivers unparalleled physics-powered combat set in the DC Universe™. This genre-defining game puts the power of the DC Super Heroes and villains into the palm of your hands…

The next legend is YOU!

Game Features:
  • Experience the power of visceral combat where you control every blow your character strikes, delivering a level of action that is unparalleled in the MMO segment.
  • Choose your side -- superhero or villain -- as you battle to save or conquer the universe.
  • Fight alongside or against your favorite DC heroes and villains including Batman, The Joker, Superman, Wonder Woman and others… The next legend is YOU!
  • Experience the intensity of a world created in the artistic vision of legendary comic book artist Jim Lee.
  • Take advantage of the state-of-the-art physics engine and use objects in the world around you as weapons, including even your enemies!
  • Players will create their own custom DC-style hero or villain, each with a unique look and combination of superpowers.
  • Embark on heroic or villainous story-driven adventures penned by famous DC writers including Geoff Johns and Marv Wolfman.
  • Gameplay is optimized for both the PS3 computer entertainment system and PC.
  • Explore the DC Universe; walk the darkened streets of Gotham City, investigate the mysteries of the futuristic cityscape of Metropolis and travel to legendary locations including Arkham Asylum and the Justice League of America Watchtower.

Download the PC version here. Click here to learn how to access the PS3 version (note however that the PS3 and PC versions are on different servers). If you have Steam, you can also install the game from there. The game is Free to Play, though a subscription is optional.

Player List (PC)
Kal
Character Name: Red Spell
Character Class: Sorcery

Player List (PS3)

To access the SWF chat channel, press escape, go to settings, scroll to "Chat Options," and add "SWF" under the custom channel. You can also create a custom tab labelled "SWF," and edit it so that it only displays messages from that channel. While typing (i.e., after hitting enter), hold control and press up or down on the arrow keys in order to change chat channels.

Serris

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
NNID
Herple-Derples
3DS FC
5043-4507-3351
I have a Mentalist character on the PC server. His name's Serris. I haven't played in a while, though.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I wanna say there is a thread for this, but I'm not sure. Haven't played this game in a long time due to other games taking up my time. I believe I was a lv 25 dual wielding fire...something.

Kal

Smash Champion
I did a search for the game and found nothing, but a mod can delete this thread if it turns out I'm wrong. Serris, is your character a hero or villain? And Bored, if you can find out the name of your character I can add him to the list as well.

I am also taking any advice for how to improve the thread. If anyone wants to play some time, just let me know. The game is a little confusing at first, but it is very fun and offers a lot of content.

Kal

Smash Champion
You should roll a villain! PvE is a little worse on this side, but PvP is great due to the ridiculous ratio of heroes to villains.

Also, I created a custom chat channel which should be open to both heroes and villains. To access, hit escape, go to settings, scroll to "Chat Options," and add "SWF" under the custom channel. You can also create a custom tab labelled "SWF," and edit it so that it only displays messages from that channel.

-ShadowPhoenix-

Smash Bash
NNID
ShdwPhnx
3DS FC
2595-1989-8575
I was half thinking about getting this...
but the fact that pc and ps3 are on different servers is kind of a deal breaker for me

Kal

Smash Champion
Why is that a deal breaker? The PC version is generally considered better, and the fact that it's free to play should mean that there is no real risk in getting the game.

-ShadowPhoenix-

Smash Bash
NNID
ShdwPhnx
3DS FC
2595-1989-8575
Few friends have it on Ps3...
wanted to dl it on my ps3 and continue with my account on my computer if it was cool :/

Kal

Smash Champion
I understand your predicament. I can't say for sure, but I believe there are restrictions as to how you can allow for online play on the Playstation Network, which is why there isn't one large server. If you can convince your friends to play on the PC, that would be a nice (albeit unlikely) fix (one which I shamelessly suggest solely because I am friendless at the moment). If not, I would suggest just downloading the PS3 version and giving that a try. Since it's free to play, you could very well just play it casually, so I think being able to access it from your computer would be less of an issue.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
PS3 version is fun and I also assume it's tough to play DC Online if you don't have the specs on your PC to run it.

-ShadowPhoenix-

Smash Bash
NNID
ShdwPhnx
3DS FC
2595-1989-8575
so like im dling it on my ps3 to try it out...
Kal if its half decent ill put it on my pc seeing as how i dont want to play an mmo with a controller

Kal

Smash Champion
Bored, my PC is pretty awful and it runs DC Universe Online pretty well. Only when lots of **** happens on screen does anything go awry (and that's because I only have two gigs of RAM).

ShadwPhoenx, if you end up liking it (I think you will, as, despite its many problems, it is the most fun MMO I have ever played), you should roll a villain (so that we can play together; heroes have a larger population so they are arguably better for PvE). The choice of a PvP server versus a PvE server is minor, as you can actually, very easily switch between the two. I personally prefer PvP, but acknowledge that it is harder to level up and will take slightly longer.

-ShadowPhoenix-

Smash Bash
NNID
ShdwPhnx
3DS FC
2595-1989-8575
Bored, my PC is pretty awful and it runs DC Universe Online pretty well. Only when lots of **** happens on screen does anything go awry (and that's because I only have two gigs of RAM).

ShadwPhoenx, if you end up liking it (I think you will, as, despite its many problems, it is the most fun MMO I have ever played), you should roll a villain (so that we can play together; heroes have a larger population so they are arguably better for PvE). The choice of a PvP server versus a PvE server is minor, as you can actually, very easily switch between the two. I personally prefer PvP, but acknowledge that it is harder to level up and will take slightly longer.
I am planning on rolling villain.
Dont worry ;)
What server should i join for pc?

Yeah, I mean...I have a laptop so it's not feasible for me lol.
I've played all my mmos on a laptop (WoW, Lotro, DBO, ) and LoL

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Well, I'd assume DC Universe would require a bit better specs given the graphics appear significantly better compared to the likes of WoW and LOTRO

Kal

Smash Champion
I am planning on rolling villain.
Dont worry ;)
What server should i join for pc?
The servers are merged now into one "megaserver." I would choose PvE if you're interested in reaching end game content as quickly as possible. I personally find PvP more fun. Most people who roll villain do so to PvP anyway, and actually run around the world in PvP gear. Regardless, you can switch from PvP to PvE and vice-versa in game, so it's not a big decision to make.

My character's name is Red Spell. To add someone to your friend list, press f4 and scroll down to "friends." Feel free to add me, and I can help you out and stuff. I'm thinking I might update the first page with a short guide on getting started, since the game does a poor job of explaining some things.

Kal

Smash Champion
Yes it does. In fact, there was a content update last week which added a crafting mechanic to the game. Even if it didn't get any content updates, there is quite a lot to do.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
Is this like, a full blown mmo, or just an online action game? XD

Kal

Smash Champion
It's a full blown MMO. The level cap is 30, and the grind to reach it is noticeably shorter than a game like WoW. However, the grind to receive the high end gear (for PvE, there is T1, T2, T2.5 (which is acquired in the DLC content you have to pay for), and T3; for PvP there is T0, T1, and T2) is similar to other MMOs.

It's hardly perfect, though. The game severely lacks polish. If it were not so fun, I would recommend staying away. However, I have so much fun with this game that I actually can excuse the rather obvious problems, like the bad UI.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
Hmm, a shame, I thought about giving it a go,but the free version sucks. XD. Like wow, you get to do nothing almost...

Kal

Smash Champion
What do you mean? The game is virtually identical to the payed version, save for the DLC. In my opinion, it's worthwhile to go Premium. Legendary (where you pay a subscription) would be worthwhile if they reduced the price (e.g. I would happily pay $5 a month for this game). The best way to go Premium, in my opinion, is to head to the local Wal Mart and purchase the 1500 Station Cash card ($15) in the electronics department. When purchased from Wal Mart, these give an extra 500 Station Cash (check for the label indicating this just to be sure). With that 2000 Station Cash, you can purchase both DLCs, which will then give you access to all available content and upgrade you to Premium.

Of course, many people are happy just playing for free. The only real concern people have is the money limit, which can be (inconveniently) gotten around by purchasing drinks from vendors whenever you are close to the limit, then selling said drinks whenever you need money. You get an 80% return on these drinks. In the end, with minor inconvenience, there isn't much difference between playing for free and paying to play, outside of purchasing the DLC. Outside of the two new classes (Light, i.e., Lantern Ring, gotten with Fight for the Light, and Electricity, gotten with Lightning Strikes), the content isn't even accessible until level 30, and even then you are expected to reach it after spending some time gearing up.

I, myself, am a Premium member. I wanted the DLC. $15 per month is far too much, in my opinion, for the difference in content (since, as I mentioned, the only real difference outside of DLC is the money cap). However, a single $15 payment is not too much for what has already given me well over fifty hours of gameplay, especially since I do not seem to be getting bored with the game.

Oh, and to clarify, you only need to spend $5 worth of Station Cash (that's 500 Station Cash) to become Premium. I suggested spending it on DLC because that is real content. However, I did (against my better judgment) purchase a cosmetic item I never use. The main reason I suggest going Premium is that the difference between Free and Premium is great enough to warrant a $5 payment or the purchase of DLC.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
You can't trade, theres a limit to your currency/auctions you can hold? that right there is lulz

Kal

Smash Champion
Yeah, it's not a great mechanic. These things were introduced because the game was originally modeled to be payed for, and has changed to Free to Play. I expect that these things will become better as the devs become better accustomed with how the Free to Play business model works. Regardless, the things you've mentioned have no significant bearing on gameplay. The game is still quite enjoyable.

Since it's free to play, it would presumably be worth giving a shot anyway. Trading and auction-related things aren't going to do much. The only issue you'll have is with the money cap, which can be circumvented the way I mentioned above.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
Hmm, Tbh I thought about giving it a shot solely for steam achievements, like...beating a game, not really an mmo thing. But Iunno, the only thing holding me back is some of the achievements make me have to pay and stuff, anddd the whole restrictions thing.

I have a 3.4 quad core processor/570 hd nvidia card/16gig of ram, I really wanna see how good it'll look though XD.

Kal

Smash Champion
I don't know if you have to pay to acquire the Steam achievements (I made it to level 30 with my flyer mentored by Circe after becoming a Premium member), but I would not recommend it either way. It would take upwards of eighty hours to just get six characters to level 30. I'm sure you're referring to the DLC anyway.

My brother has a pretty good PC and it looks pretty nice. It's not worth humongous praise, but it's definitely pretty.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
Yeah, I quit FFXIV recently and I have to say it looked pretty hardcore. Skyrim also had a nice polish to it, but hardly as nice as ffxiv.

-ShadowPhoenix-

Smash Bash
NNID
ShdwPhnx
3DS FC
2595-1989-8575
Kal i played the ps3 version today.
i didnt like the controls so im dling the pc version.
how big is the game?

Kal

Smash Champion
You mean file size? It's a whopping 18 gigabytes.

Kal

Smash Champion
Shamelessly bumping in the hope of making friends.

Kal

Smash Champion
Sorry, I only accept friends in DCU Online. Real life friends are lame.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
At one time I was considering this.

Than came news it became F2P...

(Games that become F2P usually have bad reputations)

Kal

Smash Champion
I would suggest trying it first. Since it's free to play, there isn't exactly a lot to lose.

Kal

Smash Champion
Just so everyone knows, Game Update 9 has been announced. Where Game Update 8 gave us some interesting crafting mechanics, Game Update 9 is going to fix some role issues by introducing a mechanic to allow players to queue for four-man instances faster. It also is going to introduce easy versions of all current raids to allow casual players a chance at playing them. The full scoop is here.

Top Bottom