• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Day, Night, and Dusk - Lycanroc for Smash Bros. Ultimate

xzx

Smash Lord
I know Incineroar is a strong contender for Ultimate, since, y'know, Vergeben, but don't let your guards down (if any of you are doing it). There's a probability that Vergeben is wrong/misinformed (but I highly doubt so).

Just wanted to remind you all that when choosing a Pokémon fighter for Smash, Sakurai has stated this:

"Well first of all, we talk with the Pokémon company. What’s the hot Pokémon? What Pokémon are in the movies right now? And really do a lot of research on that front.

For example, X and Y are coming out – of course, we haven’t done any market research because they’re not out yet, but we look at the animated series or movies and anything like that and again, find out which ones are going to be central to any of conversations in Pokémon going forward.

But it’s not just that – going back to just what we talked about, what’s unique about them? Where do they fit in with the rest of everything else? What do they have? It’s a combination of those things.
"

If we dissect his statement, we could get a clue: Sakurai first talks to TPC. They have really pushed Lycanroc, as we all know. "What's the hot Pokémon" yeah it's Incineroar, since he's a fire-type literally... Okay, jokes aside. But the hot Pokémon during Gen VII was/is Lycanroc without a doubt. "What Pokémon are in the movies right now" IIRC, the first Gen VII Pokémon movie is the one featuring Zeraora, but it was a "hidden"/"non-confirmed" Pokémon for so long that I highly doubt Sakurai considered it. They then do a lot of research regarding all this. I think with their research, they would easily see that Lycanroc is the most fitting and popular one. Sakurai then talks about uniqueness, were a Pokémon fits in with the rest, what they have etc. Again, Lycanroc, both design-wise and moveset-wise, is a really unique Pokémon [for Smash].

To me this sounds like Lycanroc is the perfect candidate for a Pokémon character slot, especially its Dusk form.

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
I replied to your post in the quote itself by adding my own notes in this red color
Ah, I see. Some interesting points you made there. Essentially, what I mean by a "gimmick" is something outside the normal realm of character or attack properties that ends up being unique to a character. I wouldn't say Ultimate has "toned it down", either, between Inkling's ink meter and the Belmonts' ability to angle attacks that can't usually be angled and use them as tethers.

Either way, having a gimmick isn't crucial, but the fact that Lycanroc has multiple potential gimmicks to choose from only helps.

I know Incineroar is a strong contender for Ultimate, since, y'know, Vergeben, but don't let your guards down (if any of you are doing it). There's a probability that Vergeben is wrong/misinformed (but I highly doubt so).

Just wanted to remind you all that when choosing a Pokémon fighter for Smash, Sakurai has stated this:

"Well first of all, we talk with the Pokémon company. What’s the hot Pokémon? What Pokémon are in the movies right now? And really do a lot of research on that front.

For example, X and Y are coming out – of course, we haven’t done any market research because they’re not out yet, but we look at the animated series or movies and anything like that and again, find out which ones are going to be central to any of conversations in Pokémon going forward.

But it’s not just that – going back to just what we talked about, what’s unique about them? Where do they fit in with the rest of everything else? What do they have? It’s a combination of those things."

If we dissect his statement, we could get a clue: Sakurai first talks to TPC. They have really pushed Lycanroc, as we all know. "What's the hot Pokémon" yeah it's Incineroar, since he's a fire-type literally... Okay, jokes aside. But the hot Pokémon during Gen VII was/is Lycanroc without a doubt. "What Pokémon are in the movies right now" IIRC, the first Gen VII Pokémon movie is the one featuring Zeraora, but it was a "hidden"/"non-confirmed" Pokémon for so long that I highly doubt Sakurai considered it. They then do a lot of research regarding all this. I think with their research, they would easily see that Lycanroc is the most fitting and popular one. Sakurai then talks about uniqueness, were a Pokémon fits in with the rest, what they have etc. Again, Lycanroc, both design-wise and moveset-wise, is a really unique Pokémon [for Smash].

To me this sounds like Lycanroc is the perfect candidate for a Pokémon character slot, especially its Dusk form.
I've mentioned that Sakurai quote pretty often, actually. It tells us a lot about how he likes to think ahead when it comes to this kind of thing, which bolsters our case further.

For the record, there've been two movies in Gen 7 so far, though it's...weird, since they don't follow Ash as he currently is unlike every previous movie, instead focusing on his earlier adventures in an alternate timeline. The first movie was focused on Ho-oh and Marshadow, and the second on Lugia and Zeraora (and sort of Eevee)--the first had a Midnight Lycanroc in a minor role as one of the villain's 'mons, but that doesn't seem to amount to much compared to being the face of a movie, and as we've known for a while, Marshadow is a summon. In the anime, however, Dusk Lycanroc has the lead role...and also Gladion (basically serving as Ash's rival) has a Midnight and Olivia has a Midday, though again, hard to say how much those secondary roles mean.

Popularity wouldn't have factored in, both since they were planning ahead and since immediate popularity kinda gets treated as more important in speculation than it actually is, but for what it's worth, those Nintendo Dream polls did have Dusk Lycanroc outrank both Decidueye and Incineroar among the magazine's readerbase. Twice. And that "favorite 'mons of each type" thing that made the rounds in the Western fanbase last year saw Lycanroc taking 2nd and 3rd among Rock types (the Dusk form hadn't been revealed yet), with Decidueye getting 2nd on the Grass side and Incineroar...nowhere to be found. Again, though, popularity is fickle and unreliable as evidence.

And that's not even going into weighing things like uniqueness, moveset potential, et cetera.

Hey, can i support? Lycanroc's pretty cool imo...
Welcome! Be sure to stick around if you're interested, and feel free to use the support icon on the front page as well!

Actually, I should put a smaller version up there for easier use...

Last edited:

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
You don’t have to worry about anyone here giving up. Guess you could say we have rock hard willpower. But bad jokes aside, you look like you’re letting your guard down by saying that the chance Verge is wrong is small.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Here's a funny little picture I found. Perhaps the "Join Smash" option is also available here too...

19f.jpg

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
I just remembered that we previously talked about the possibility of dlc. Since smash 4's dlc trailers didn't have cg cutscenes and only gameplay, do you think this time around we'll get cg intros to the dlc newcomer trailers or just pure gameplay?

xzx

Smash Lord
You don’t have to worry about anyone here giving up. Guess you could say we have rock hard willpower. But bad jokes aside, you look like you’re letting your guard down by saying that the chance Verge is wrong is small.
Heh, not really. I'm a firm believer that Vergeben is right. =P I would much rather have Lycanroc than Incineroar, though sadly that isn't the case. The only character I truly care about at this point is Paper Mario anyway. =^)

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Obligatory reminder that he didn't know about characters who would be late additions (:ultchrom::ultdarksamus::ultrichter:). This is the same with Gematsu.

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
Heh, not really. I'm a firm believer that Vergeben is right. =P I would much rather have Lycanroc than Incineroar, though sadly that isn't the case. The only character I truly care about at this point is Paper Mario anyway. =^)
Why are you so quick to discard Lycanroc’s chances if you’d rather have him than Verge be right? And don’t forget if Verge is right, then Paper Mario wouldn’t happen either.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I know this question has been asked a gazillion times, but I thought I'd resurrect it for the sake of having something to talk about that isn't related to leaks.

Order your favorite Lycanroc forms from most to least favorite, then order them from most to least likely to get in Smash.

For me, it's:

Favorite - Midnight, Midday/Dusk
Likelihood - Dusk, Midday, Midnight

I used to hate Dusk, but I've warmed up to it over time. Really like Midnight's design. However, despite it being bipedal, I don't think it'll get chosen over the other two.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
I know this question has been asked a gazillion times, but I thought I'd resurrect it for the sake of having something to talk about that isn't related to leaks.

Order your favorite Lycanroc forms from most to least favorite, then order them from most to least likely to get in Smash.

For me, it's:

I used to hate Dusk, but I've warmed up to it over time. Really like Midnight's design. However, despite it being bipedal, I don't think it'll get chosen over the other two.
For me it’s:

Favorite - Midnight & Midday, Dusk
Likely - Dusk, Midnight, Midday

I like all the forms now. I also used to hate Dusk a lot (I had a Dusk rant) but I did looked more into it and I started loving it. The thing that made I like about Lycanroc is that it reminded me of Vegito. If you don’t know, Vegito is the fusion of Goku and Vegita by the potara earnings from the supreme kais, so of course, Vegito has traits that combines both characters with seemingly opposite personalities along with some sick new stuff to be his own (and he is more cocky). So seeing how Dusk has abilities and looks that is a fusion of both the Midday and Midnight forms who have seemingly opposite personalities is why I like Dusk now. Of course, I do like Midday and Midnight as well.

As for likelihood, then Dusk is probably the most likeliest seeing how it’s the one that is the most pushed right now and has abilities that come from the other two forms. He has enough to stand out on his own, with even a new potential ability that is unique to him, but I think the idea of a multiple form fighter is still possible and can work well.

I think all the forms are pretty distinct from the rest of the roster. Even when you compare Midnight to Wolf, they’re still drastically different other than being wolves.

Last edited:

MasteRMerF

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MasteRMerF
3DS FC
5000-2607-1297

For me, it's:

Favorite - Midnight, Dusk, Midday
Likelihood - Dusk, Midnight, Midday

Midnight has been my favorite since Lycanroc's reveal (or leak, I guess?) The first image of Dusk I saw was small and low quality so I initially thought Dusk was a different-colored Midday. When I actually got to get a good look at it, I loved it. It's the perfect in-between for Midnight and Midday. I'd have to say their manes are my favorite parts of them, especially Midnight/Dusk's. For likelihood, I'm almost certain we would get Dusk, as it has features, characteristics and abilities/moves of both.

Dusk being in smash has had me thinking about something for a little while now. How do you guys think it would lift a crate/barrel? I imagine it would crouch down and carry it on it's back, and to throw it, it would "pop" it off. What do you guys think?

RandomAce

Smash Champion
I just remembered that we previously talked about the possibility of dlc. Since smash 4's dlc trailers didn't have cg cutscenes and only gameplay, do you think this time around we'll get cg intros to the dlc newcomer trailers or just pure gameplay?
They probably wouldn’t.

I think the budget for DLC is smaller than the base game, so they’ll probably stick with normal gameplay with small exceptions (like Corrin). Though, if they’re budget is larger, then yeah, they may be possible.

How do you guys think it would lift a crate/barrel? I imagine it would crouch down and carry it on it's back, and to throw it, it would "pop" it off. What do you guys think?
He would probably lift it on his back. And then he moves his back forward to throw it.

Last edited:

Maikou

Smash Ace
So here's another topic that might be indirectly related to Lycanroc's chances. Based on the way the anime has presented itself so far, who do you think will pan out to be Ash's biggest rival in the league?

(1) Gladion
(2) Hau
(3) Masked Royal

Personally, I'm going back and forth between Gladion and Masked Royal. I'm pretty confident that Gladion will participate and be the main rival, but Masked Royal would make sense too, especially since Kukui was technically the Champion in the games. I suppose Hau could end up being the big rival, but that feels a little rushed. Then again, it wouldn't be the first time someone randomly popped up right before the league and became a major threat.

Even though I don't think the box theory is suggesting only two more characters, I do think it helps the theory that Ken is an Echo. Out of those seven characters before Corrin, someone's getting and Echo, and I doubt we're getting Medusa or Ms. Pac-Man.
I'd bet on Gladion. He's had the most presence so far, gone through the most development of the three (especially since Hau is just now doing things), and keeps showing up whenever plot-important stuff happens.

Up to and including a part during the end of the Necrozma arc where Ash and Gladion were straight up given sun and moon motifs, complete with them channeling their respective Z-Rings through Solgaleo and Lunala to restore Necrozma's light.

People outside the fandom may be convinced Ash's rival must be the Masked Royal, but the evidence points pretty strongly toward Gladion.

Heh, look at him, he think he's Owain.

Basically, the arrangement of the characters on the side we see on the box, the characters we don't see, and the apparent pattern used in the mockup has those who believe the theory convinced that only one echo fighter is left for the base roster, and that it must be an echo of Pac-Man, Palutena, Robin, Shulk, Bowser Jr., Duck Hunt, Ryu, Cloud, or Corrin.
Gladion for sure. I'm not fully caught up with the anime, (Amazon Prime Video doesn't have the next third of the Ultra Adventures season yet and I've been busy getting and starting a job) but Gladion has had a major role, good development, is a great contrast with Ash as a rival, and Midnight Lycanroc and Umbreon fit too perfectly against Ash's team (at least, Umbreon will if Ash gets Eevee. I really hope Ash gets Eevee. Ash seriously deserves to have an Eevee, and him getting an Eevee that evolves into Espeon would be just too perfect. Unless it's been confirmed that Ash won't be getting Eevee in the time I've been gone). I also really just don't see how the Masked Royal could be Ash's rival. All Kukui's got for that role is Incineroar and his role in the game, but Kukui wasn't actually the Champion in the games. The player is the Champion, Kukui's just your first challenger as Alola's first Champion.

Also, seriously, Gladion just has to be Pokemon's Owain. He's so unironically hammy, overdramatic, and edgy, and he even makes the same hand gesture Owain does in his battle intro, and his idle animation has his hand twitching like Owain constantly says his sword-hand does! Honestly, part of why I love Gladion in the anime is how he just comes across as such an overdramatic dork. It's also pretty funny how he acts as the intelligent, serious one when he and Lillie run off during the Motherbeast arc.
So, it seems like we're not getting any newcomer reveal this week. Everyone's on edge, wondering who could be next and who could be left.

You know, I don't think I've asked this before: Who did everyone here support for past Smash games? Were you actively involved in speculation? Any memorable experiences with it, either good or bad?
Back in Smash 4, I recall I supported Bandana Dee and Robin. I think I was also rooting for Mewtwo, Pichu and Roy at the time, though I'm a bit unsure of that. Even during DLC, I was an active member of the Bandana Brigade, but I don't recall really passionately supporting anyone else. To be honest, after Smash 4 DLC, I sort fell off of Smashboards and forgot it existed until Ultimate's official reveal and the "Everyone is Here!" trailer. I was too young when Brawl came around to learn of speculation and such. I.....don't really recall how it was, overall. I don't think things were really bad, but then, I didn't participate much in the Robin thread. I was always mostly focused on the Bandana Brigade, which as far I recall and have seen in the present is overall a very pleasant group.
Well the intro seems to point this as well.

View attachment 169541
View attachment 169542
Gladion shown here seems to indicate that he is going to be one of Ash’s main rivals, or possibly his main one seeing how he is the first one shown.

Ash does seem to have one with the Masked Royal, and Hau as well, but I think Gladion is already shaped up to be Ash’s main foe seeing how much Gladion interacted with Ash during the anime, not to mention that Gladion was one of the important characters in the games’ plot. Who knows, may end up beating Ash at the Alola League... since Ash probably isn’t going to win anything if what the director said was any indication. :urg:

As for Lycanroc, well...

View attachment 169554
Midnight vs Dusk episodes anyone?

If there was anything that I got peeved by the series, it was that this didn’t happen yet. One of the main reasons why Rockruff wanted to evolve was because he wanted to be as strong as Midnight, it’s about time he finally gets the chance to test his strength against his admirer.

Well we did get something somewhat new. But that might go into leak territory, so look at you’re own risk.
”Apparently something odd has been going with Xenoblade” Not only is Xenoblade the only franchise to not get anything on the blog yet, but a discord group uncovered that the woman that does the vocals for Xenoblade X music and Sawano did a sessions for a “secret” project.

I’m not sure if this is the same session as the one Sawano publicly talked about on his twitter, but if both him and the X vocal performer were present, it increases the chance of us getting X content for Smash Ultimate. And for anyone who wants to take it further, Elma becomes much more likely.

I wasn’t around for Smash 4 speculation that much, since I wasn’t even 13 by that time, but I did went to check here sometimes and constantly came in touch with GameXplain for Smash 4 news. But there was one character I actively supported, and that was :ultpalutena:. I remember being so happy when was she was announced to be in the game, and she’s one of the characters I used a lot.
Seems to me that it's anime tradition for Ash to only defeat his rival at the league, and then lose afterwards. Gary, Paul, and Trip all defeated or at least tied with Ash until the League, where he finally won, and of the two battles I've seen between Ash and Gladion, they were either interrupted and never finished, leaving it basically a tie, or Ash lost, though it was mostly because of Lycanroc's berserk state costing it and Ash a bit of stamina. Has Ash defeated Gladion at all so far?

By the way, has Lycanroc's gender been officially confirmed? I know it has a masculine voice in the dub, but the franchise still uses "it" to refer to every single Pokemon at all times, even when they have their genders confirmed, and I don't recall Rockruff/Lycanroc ever getting hit with Attract or any other gender-specific move.
Favorite - Midnight, Dusk, Midday
Likelihood - Dusk, Midnight, Midday

Midnight has been my favorite since Lycanroc's reveal (or leak, I guess?) The first image of Dusk I saw was small and low quality so I initially thought Dusk was a different-colored Midday. When I actually got to get a good look at it, I loved it. It's the perfect in-between for Midnight and Midday. I'd have to say their manes are my favorite parts of them, especially Midnight/Dusk's. For likelihood, I'm almost certain we would get Dusk, as it has features, characteristics and abilities/moves of both.

Dusk being in smash has had me thinking about something for a little while now. How do you guys think it would lift a crate/barrel? I imagine it would crouch down and carry it on it's back, and to throw it, it would "pop" it off. What do you guys think?
I think it'd conjure a small rock pillar to hoist the item onto its back, then use a pair of pillars to push its back paws up fast enough to launch the item forward.

Sort of unrelated, but does anyone here know if there's an Umbreon/Espeon support thread on this site? I've been thinking about them for a while, and I'm curious to see if anyone else thinks Umbreon and Espeon could ever be playable in Smash.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
I've been wondering, because i don't know where to find it, but how popular was sceptile in the fighter ballot days?

VexTheHex

Smash Ace
Chairs2t.png

All this talk on the anime, the card game, the popularity on reception, the lasting popularity, the competitive usage, design choices, and moveset potential... but this is truly how it's done folks.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
I've been wondering, because i don't know where to find it, but how popular was sceptile in the fighter ballot days?
We don’t have any ballot results other than:

A) Veterans being fan demanded.
B) King K. Rool did well.
C) The Ballot is being used for some of the newcomers.

We know that :ultinkling::ultkrool::ultridley: were some of the most requested characters, but not really for Simon or Isabelle. Sakurai also states that Dark Samus and Chrom were popular characters which may have come from the ballot, but we don’t really know.

Last edited:

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
Too early to call, I'd imagine. We don't know what plans for DLC there are--I mean, DLC hasn't even been confirmed yet despite it being a 99% sure thing--and what we eventually learn of their strategy for post-release content will give us a better idea. Maybe there'll be a bigger crew left for it than there was for Smash 4, or a larger budget, but we don't have any evidence for or against it yet.

Personal preference: Midday -> Dusk -> Midnight

Not much a fan of how hard Midnight plays into the stereotypes, you know? That, and a couple other design aspects bug me, like three fingered hands with no thumbs. Seriously, what's up with that?

Most likely: Dusk -> some kind of Midday + Midnight concept -> Midday or Midnight on their own

I figure the most likely pick is the one that's had so much attention. This'll especially ring true if it comes down to DLC, where it'll be less about looking at future plans for the line and more about looking at what has come to pass now that those plans have been realized.

Something like that, most likely. Which would probably lead to said "throwing" animation being pretty laggy compared to most characters and not throwing the objects very hard. Not ideal, but hey, it'd make sense...and hauling large items around only ever happens in casual play, anyway.

Which reminds me...I never responded to this:
Resetera's getting stir crazy, aren't they?

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
That moment when you notice it’s been over two months since the last smash direct, and speculation for a direct seems to have stopped completely.

SmashNStache

Smash Cadet
Hello, Lycanroc thread! Someone from here came by the Incineroar thread a little while ago with some supportive words, so I felt it right to return the favor.

Honestly, I think Lycanroc's got a pretty good chance. Like some of the others he's got a lot going for him to get in, and I think he's got plenty of uniqueness to bring to the Smash table. Not to mention he's my second-favorite Gen 7 Pokemon (arguably one of my favorite Rock-types ever)!

While Incineroar may be my number one pick, I'll still be very happy if Lycanroc gets in and I'll absolutely welcome his inclusion with open arms! So I wish you all the best of luck in this always-awesome rock wolf getting in Smash!

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
That moment when you notice it’s been over two months since the last smash direct, and speculation for a direct seems to have stopped completely.
A consequence of the blog updates only covering things that we already know about, I suppose. With so little news to discuss, we're all sitting around staring at the ground and wondering when something will happen.

It's a big reason why the forums haven't been as active as they were during the lead up to Smash 4.

Hello, Lycanroc thread! Someone from here came by the Incineroar thread a little while ago with some supportive words, so I felt it right to return the favor.

Honestly, I think Lycanroc's got a pretty good chance. Like some of the others he's got a lot going for him to get in, and I think he's got plenty of uniqueness to bring to the Smash table. Not to mention he's my second-favorite Gen 7 Pokemon (arguably one of my favorite Rock-types ever)!

While Incineroar may be my number one pick, I'll still be very happy if Lycanroc gets in and I'll absolutely welcome his inclusion with open arms! So I wish you all the best of luck in this always-awesome rock wolf getting in Smash!
Hey, thanks for the olive branch! The best we can do is try not to let things devolve the way they have during past games...which is easier said than done...

SmashNStache

Smash Cadet
Hey, thanks for the olive branch! The best we can do is try not to let things devolve the way they have during past games...which is easier said than done...
Ah, no worries! I know people can be passionate about their most-wanted newcomer, and it's hard to settle things down with that.

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
In the event of a lack of news, it always helps to have other topics to fall back on.

I don't think this has ever come up before: What is one feature that, above all others, you'd like to see added to or implemented in Smash Bros.?

Six months ago, I would've said either a way to turn hazards off or alternate versions of stages that were more competitive-friendly yet not carbon copies of FD. But then we actually got a hazard toggle, so...I'll need some time to decide what else, heh.

Last edited:

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
In the event of a lack of news, it always helps to have other topics to fall back on.

I don't think this has ever come up before: What is one feature that, above all others, you'd like to see added to or implemented in Smash Bros.?

Six months ago, I would've said either a way to turn hazard off or alternate versions of stages that were more competitive-friendly yet not carbon copies of FD. But then we actually got a hazard toggle, so...I'll need some time to decide what else, heh.
I would have said a Final Smash meter. Lo and behold, we actually got one.
I also would have said "a way for the sum of points in a time match to be greater than 0 that isn't locked to any one stage". KO'ing Assist Trophies is now worth points.
I guess now what I want is an expanded handicap system where players can start with more/less stock/points than the amount indicated for the match (so there can be a way to, say, balance out the inherent dichotomy of a 1-vs-3 battle).

valkiriforce

Smash Ace
Anything that gives special love and attention to individual characters to celebrate their inclusion in Smash Ultimate. It could be a specific cutscene that plays when you finish a Classic Mode game - something more than just a regular clip of the character performing moves, or a backdrop image like in Smash 4 during the credits. Maybe a new special video to celebrate Smash's near-20th anniversary similar to that 14-minute video from Melee.

I also think team victory animations sounds like a great idea - any two characters that win could interact or perform a unique victory pose together. Otherwise, there's not much else I can think of outside of what's been announced other than a possible story or adventure mode.

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
Honestly just a way to do 4 player multi-character stock battles that isn’t project m would be good enough. The only other option I could’ve hoped for is already in: stamina now being a default option.

Last edited:

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
We haven't really talked about which 2 pokemon newcomers would be most likely in the scenario we get 2 pokemon newcomers announced before launch.
Which seems the most likely/do you want the most (from what i consider the most likely): Lycanroc & Decidueye, Sceptile & Lycanroc, Incineroar & Sceptile, Lycanroc & Incineroar or Decidueye & Incineroar? Since we don't really know how long dlc will last for ultimate, if there is any, it'd be nice to think of the scenario of 2 pokemon newcomers from launch in case gen 8 doesn't come soon or doesn't have an interesting pokemon to offer during promotion (it could still be like a corrin situation and be chosen before launch of gen 8).

And another idea, do you think there will be something mystery dungeon related in ultimate: stage, music, character, etc. or will it be neglected again?

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Which seems the most likely/do you want the most
Midday and Midnight Lycanroc.
In all honesty I'd like them to have a rep from gen 3 or 5 alongside Lycanroc, or some way to have Squirtle's gameplay without the PT gimmick.

Last edited:

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
Ah, right. I know what other feature I'm hoping for now: the ability to create custom alternate palettes. There are a few signs pointing toward it being possible, and if it was handled elegantly enough, it'd grant every player a way to give some personal flair to their mains. I could rock a dark gold Lycanroc skin even if one wasn't part of the default eight!

We haven't really talked about which 2 pokemon newcomers would be most likely in the scenario we get 2 pokemon newcomers announced before launch.
Which seems the most likely/do you want the most (from what i consider the most likely): Lycanroc & Decidueye, Sceptile & Lycanroc, Incineroar & Sceptile, Lycanroc & Incineroar or Decidueye & Incineroar? Since we don't really know how long dlc will last for ultimate, if there is any, it'd be nice to think of the scenario of 2 pokemon newcomers from launch in case gen 8 doesn't come soon or doesn't have an interesting pokemon to offer during promotion (it could still be like a corrin situation and be chosen before launch of gen 8).
Depends: Are you including potential echoes in that? If so, the more likely scenario would be one standard newcomer + one echo (Blaziken over Falcon, Delphox over Zelda, etc). A situation with two full newcomers isn't entirely out of the question, though we're getting scarce on time for the base game, but it'd raise our odds very significantly.

Either way, Gen 8 won't be part of the picture until it's on shelves at the end of next year. Come on, Sakurai, don't let a character this unique slip through the cracks.

And another idea, do you think there will be something mystery dungeon related in ultimate: stage, music, character, etc. or will it be neglected again?
Good question. I'd guess if anything, we could see a music track or two. It'd require more hoops to jump through on the licensing side of things, but on the other hand, the fact that we're seeing deeper cuts in other franchises (Mega Man X music, anyone?) means the door is open further than in the past.

Last edited:

RandomAce

Smash Champion

These coming days on Smashboards have been a snore honestly. There doesn’t seem to be any meaningful discussion on any of the main threads. For this thread, I think I’ll post some moveset ideas in here to stir up something.

Ah, right. I know what other feature I'm hoping for now: the ability to create custom alternate palettes. There are a few signs pointing toward it being possible, and if it was handled elegantly enough, it'd grant every player a way to give some personal flair to their mains. I could rock a dark gold Lycanroc skin even if one wasn't part of the default eight!
This is something I wanted since the beginning. I’ve been pushing for a Custom Alternate Color option since the idea of creating your own palettes with colors you desire on whatever character is something I don’t want Sakurai to pass up.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
inb4 Sonic and Pac-Man are mysteriously absent from the palette creator

Last edited:

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
Depends: Are you including potential echoes in that? If so, the more likely scenario would be one standard newcomer + one echo (Blaziken over Falcon, Delphox over Zelda, etc). A situation with two full newcomers isn't entirely out of the question, though we're getting scarce on time for the base game, but it'd raise our odds very significantly.
I couldn't really think of any pokemon echoes, since the only that came to mind is Blaziken echoing captain falcon, but we don't know if characters can get echoes from a different franchise. But Sceptile or grovyle could be an echo of greninja now that i think about it.
Of course wishing for 2 unique pokemon with so few newcomers left to announce is ludicrous, but Sakurai has done crazy things in the past (from 2 fire emblem characters to 6 from brawl to smash 4), so it's just a matter of waiting.

Another thing, will we get a new ''joke'' character in the likeness of Mr. Game & Watch, R.O.B., Wii Fit Trainer & Duck Hunt?

And thinking of the potential return of target smash, if we were to get unique stages for each character, what would Lycanroc's Target smash stage be like with the moveset potential that has been discussed up to now?

Last edited:
Top Bottom