• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dark Samus Approaching: Extreme caution recommended.

Cahalan

Smash Ace
Actually, very little of this PSA is similar to Samus. The first few posts should discuss technical differences.
Okay I looked at the first few posts and from what I could gather,
DS has a faster fall speed
Is more floatly in movement
Has a charge/Phazon mechanic
Has more attack strength
Has less defence as a balance

WOW, I like how different this is compared to regular Samus (the closest related character to Dark Samus of course)!

Last edited:

HypnotizeOverdrive

Smash Ace
NNID
HypnoOverdrive
Okay I looked at the first few posts and from what I could gather,
DS has a faster fall speed
Is more floatly in movement
Has a charge/Phazon mechanic
Has more attack strength
Has less defence as a balance

WOW, I like how different this is compared to regular Samus (the closest related character to Dark Samus of course)!
I mean, aside from the attacks being different and the things you stated, I wouldn't expect there to be any humongous differences, but those are different regardless.
Not sure if you're being sarcastic but it's really irrelevant to the thread anyway so...

Cahalan

Smash Ace
I mean, aside from the attacks being different and the things you stated, I wouldn't expect there to be any humongous differences, but those are different regardless.
Not sure if you're being sarcastic but it's really irrelevant to the thread anyway so...
Sorry if it's irrelevant, I just wanted to know the differences between regular Samus in PM and this hype filled Dark Samus PSA that's being worked on. It's something for me to keep in mind for a future PM build I want to do...

Collision Course Logo.png

HypnotizeOverdrive

Smash Ace
NNID
HypnoOverdrive
Sorry if it's irrelevant, I just wanted to know the differences between regular Samus in PM and this hype filled Dark Samus PSA that's being worked on. It's something for me to keep in mind for a future PM build I want to do...

View attachment 34033
I meant the sarcasm was irrelevant (if you were being sarcastic), not your question.
In any case, yes, they are different. And the hype is real for this mod.

Cahalan

Smash Ace
I meant the sarcasm was irrelevant (if you were being sarcastic), not your question.
In any case, yes, they are different. And the hype is real for this mod.
Well shoot I need to learn more about sarcasm then, it's really friggen difficult to convey it in text anyways...
And I agree the HYPE is real for Dark Samus AND Ridley!

Dark-Samus-Lives

Smash Journeyman
Lol glad y'all are still interested in this project of mine. I could have easily released an unfinished version weeks ago but I really want this to be polished and as faithful to Dark Samus as possible. I'll start mentioning some mechanics I've coded onto DS.

1.) -DS's down air has been tweaked. With the original dair (Phazon Divebomb/Comet), I felt it was too out of place in Smash to be used so freely. And I didn't want to weaken the move to balance it because I thought this would butcher its "wow" factor. So I opted to implement a damage mechanic instead. This is exactly what happens during the first battle against her in Metroid Echoes- if she takes too much damage she powers up on Phazon and has a blue aura for the rest of the fight and gets several new moves.

Here is what I am referencing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSYx0oYM_LI#t=327

So DS has two dairs, one between 0 and 100% damage and the Phazon Divebomb for above 100% (100% is not set in stone but you get the idea). The Divebomb is flashy and powerful, but since it can only be used after taking a lot of damage I think it's a good move/mechanic to include. Upon impact, there's a lot of cool stuff going on in terms of hitboxes but I'll save that for later.

2.) -DS has two Up and Down Smashes, charged and uncharged variants. I already had a video on the Up Smash, and the down smash charged version works in a similar way- charging either down or up smash for 40 frames will commence a Phazon "charge" graphic to indicate that the charged version will occur. Instead of being incredibly OP, I wanted the charged variants to have different utilities than the normal smashes. For example, with up smash DS swings her arm cannon overhead and blasts phazon energy for a three hit combo move. With charged version, instead of the orbs bursting at the tip of her cannon she shoots them a good distance which can be annoying to an airborne enemy. The charged smashes are pretty telegraphed and not incredibly powerful so even if they're not "competitive" or super balanced, I just wanted DS to be as cool as possible :teeth:

3.) This is currently not implemented yet, but I want to give DS a true crawl which would entail giving Marth a crawl (I think). I want the crawl to work like Project M Samus' but instead travel farther and hit harder (not necessarily having kill power, I mean just making the move sound and look more vicious lol) and of course having Phazon graphic effects. The only thing keeping me from working on this move is the fact that I don't know how to give her crawl yet... but it's definitely possible.

4.) The charged aerial Special N's end with a Special Fall animation, and the sweeping Plasma Beam has a cool down of about 30 seconds. They are damage based meaning she only gets them over 100% damage (the mechanic mentioned in the first on this list)

Dark-Samus-Lives

Smash Journeyman
And here's another preview of the jab combo. Cleaned up the first slash, and the second one is still rough but with tweaking I'll get it looking more vicious.

Last edited:

drogoth232

Smash Lord
The animation for the arm and upper body seem really... choppy, I guess. Try to do something about that.

And the Attack12 doesn't make much sense to me, but if it works then it works, I guess.

Dark-Samus-Lives

Smash Journeyman
The animation for the arm and upper body seem really... choppy, I guess. Try to do something about that.

And the Attack12 doesn't make much sense to me, but if it works then it works, I guess.
What doesn't make sense? The fact that she's slashing with her hand?

Dark-Samus-Lives

Smash Journeyman
Backhand slash in general doesn't make sense, to me at least.
Oh. Well my brother who's pretty critical of the entire project think it looks natural. I took frame 22 of jab 1 and animated from there. I don't know if she needs a third hit on the combo, I like how it flows now.

drogoth232

Smash Lord
Oh. Well my brother who's pretty critical of the entire project think it looks natural. I took frame 22 of jab 1 and animated from there. I don't know if she needs a third hit on the combo, I like how it flows now.
The problem isn't the flow; the flow looks perfectly fine. I just think that it doesn't make much sense.

I'd maybe go for a swipe with DS's Cannon instead. Or maybe just leave it with one swipe.

Idk man.

Dark-Samus-Lives

Smash Journeyman
Joke aside, I have no complaints either.
Lol thanks.

The problem isn't the flow; the flow looks perfectly fine. I just think that it doesn't make much sense.

I'd maybe go for a swipe with DS's Cannon instead. Or maybe just leave it with one swipe.

Idk man.
Ah I see, I appreciate the criticism. I can kinda see why it doesn't look like a natural movement. If I make it a three it combo, the final hit is gonna be a Phazon enhanced jab with the cannon so that's why I opted for a double hand slash.

Dark-Samus-Lives

Smash Journeyman
Also, is a ETA and progress report possible?
Originally wanted this done for Thanksgiving... then changed it to second week of December but it's now changed till probably February. I am making slow but steady progress on the moveset, animations and graphics but the Dark Samus model still needs to be enhanced and I may port her over another character (or hopefully she can be cloned with BrawlEx... I have no idea about how this is done though)

So this is a big project and it's taking a long time. But I can definitely say she has come along way since that preview video in the first post. Not saying this is the world's greatest mod (maybe if you're a Metroid fanatic lol) but I really like how I'm repping Dark Samus so far. :awesome:

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Better for it to be polished and take long than unrefined and released earlier.

HypnotizeOverdrive

Smash Ace
NNID
HypnoOverdrive
Originally wanted this done for Thanksgiving... then changed it to second week of December but it's now changed till probably February. I am making slow but steady progress on the moveset, animations and graphics but the Dark Samus model still needs to be enhanced and I may port her over another character (or hopefully she can be cloned with BrawlEx... I have no idea about how this is done though)

So this is a big project and it's taking a long time. But I can definitely say she has come along way since that preview video in the first post. Not saying this is the world's greatest mod (maybe if you're a Metroid fanatic lol) but I really like how I'm repping Dark Samus so far. :awesome:
Aren't you developing Dark Samus over Marth? If so, Marth is cloneable (You know, Roy in P:M and stuff) so it's a simple matter of making a new slot in the CSS, changing a number in the BrawlEx Marth module, and adding and renaming files to an SD card.
Projects like Project EX and Project M Unbound have incorporated BrawlEx into Project M, and Project DIY is a clean slate to add clones. With these out, adding Dark Samus as a clone to Project M is fairly doable.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
What doesn't make sense? The fact that she's slashing with her hand?
She does a claw swipe with the same arm. I would suggest something that would look pretty cool - first jab as it is, then uppercut done using its arm cannon with fixed knockback as second jab and then an overhead strike with same arm cannon that sends opponent down to the ground (animation can be based off Ganondorf's Down Throw) and then generates a shockwave when cannon hits ground that launches opponent forward as third jab. It should be possible to do.

Last edited:

Dark-Samus-Lives

Smash Journeyman
She does a claw swipe with the same arm. I would suggest something that would look pretty cool - first jab as it is, then uppercut done using its arm cannon with fixed knockback as second jab and then an overhead strike with same arm cannon that sends opponent down to the ground (animation can be based off Ganondorf's Down Throw) and then generates a shockwave when cannon hits ground that launches opponent forward as third jab. It should be possible to do.
I don't like that idea actually. I'm using Gdorf's down throw multiple time already anyway. It'll probably be twice hit jab combo.

Last edited:

MetaKnight956

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2981-7717-3785
This might sound really dumb but is this a new character on the roster or just a moveset that replaces Samus's?

Dark-Samus-Lives

Smash Journeyman
Thanks to BaganSmashBros, Dark Samus has her Corruption suit usable. Have some preview pics of its sleekness:

New Run Animation/Pose:

Grab:

Plasma Beam Start:

Plasma Beam Attack:

Phazon Beam:

New Down Air:

Phazon Scattershot:

drogoth232

Smash Lord
Alright, so I finished that little thing for Ridley.

I'm going to see if I can get time to make a better rig for a solo tentacle.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Thanks to BaganSmashBros, Dark Samus has her Corruption suit usable. Have some preview pics of its sleekness:

New Run Animation/Pose:

Grab:

Plasma Beam Start:

Plasma Beam Attack:

Phazon Beam:

New Down Air:

Phazon Scattershot:

I seriously can't wait for this anymore.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Holy ****, her model looks amazing in Smash!

I'm very happy to see that Dark Samus's MP3 Corruption appearance will be an alt, apparently. I always thought it looked better than the Echoes design, TBH.

Ezoroth

Smash Rookie
NNID
Generalray
3DS FC
0877-1587-0191
My god, this looks amazing.
However I have one question, how is the plasma beam carried out?
Nice work however keep it up.

(To do list: )
(- Replay MP1
- Finish MP2
- Steal Borrow older brother's wii and Start MP3)

Last edited:

Dark-Samus-Lives

Smash Journeyman
Holy ****, her model looks amazing in Smash!

I'm very happy to see that Dark Samus's MP3 Corruption appearance will be an alt, apparently. I always thought it looked better than the Echoes design, TBH.
The Corruption model looks so good during gameplay. I'm seriously considering making it the official suit for the PSA and for when I finally get around to making the preview video.

Anyways, the current to do list:

-Finalize her f-smash. Animations for charge, start and attack are done but Perfecting the graphics is taking a while. The move is based off of the cutscene in Corruption when she first encounters Samus and the hunters and OHKO's them with a huge blast of Phazon. Watch from 2:25.

-Clean up various animations

-Integrate plasma and phazon beams in a sensible way. I'm thinking about making them work similarly to Ivysaur's Solarbeam but of course I would modify several things so it's not directly copied.

Last edited:

drogoth232

Smash Lord
Alright, so I'm done with helping Bagan out with Ridley.

I'll see if I can get an old version of the tentacle files and get a single rigged one.

Dark-Samus-Lives

Smash Journeyman
Alright, so I'm done with helping Bagan out with Ridley.

I'll see if I can get an old version of the tentacle files and get a single rigged one.
Awesome, looking forward to the file. The current model works well too, but reducing the file size would definitely help.

And here's the chance for anyone with an eye for graphics (in Brawl of course) to help out with the project. Can anyone think of a graphic that remotely resembles what Dark Samus blasts in the video I posted? I've got something that works well for the electricity but I can't think of anything for the blue blast of energy.

Last edited:

JBRPG

Smash Journeyman
Besides the ridley one, which is more popular request. I am looking forward to see what you do next with Dark Samus

invisibleman

Smash Apprentice
Cant wait! Only issues i see is being to OP and not good for serious competitive play. Other than that have you had any luck with the clone engine?

❤ Nikodemus05

Zero Skill Spamus
NNID
Nikodemus05
3DS FC
3952-7737-9671
This is amazing! Keep up the good work!

I can't wait for this to be finished!

WEK-Sector Pirate

Smash Apprentice
Feb.4 3:57 CT
No word has been heard of from the dev in 5 months,people are staring to worry,has it been canceled? postponed? maybe just a lot of dev time put in? All I want to know is...
When? When will he/she return to grace us with more news?

Legonro

Smash Rookie
NNID
Legonro
3DS FC
4184-4117-9036
Feb.4 3:57 CT
No word has been heard of from the dev in 5 months,people are staring to worry,has it been canceled? postponed? maybe just a lot of dev time put in? All I want to know is...
When? When will he/she return to grace us with more news?
its only been one month

not only that, but he/she has SAID that finishing this was going to take quite awhile

Frozn~

Smash Apprentice
I think this mod is great! I wasn't that big of a DS fan before, but this is making me want to try out the prime series :)

Top Bottom