• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dark Samus Approaching: Extreme caution recommended.

Cahalan

Smash Ace
YESSSSSS!!!!!! Our phaaze lord and savior has returned! Dark Sammy still has a shot in the collision course roster! :D
Return of Dark Samus.png

Good luck with the PSA! (Roy's placement in the roster will be explained in due time *hint*Sm4sh Roster placement*hint*)

Last edited:

Dark-Samus-Lives

Smash Journeyman
I figure it would be a good idea to write up a list of the current issues and see if anyone skilled at coding or animating would like take a stab at the project so I can finish her up. I've pretty much done all I can do in terms of graphics and sound imports but would like to clean up some of the animations (nothing is particularly bad but some can use polish)

Issue list as of 3/9/2015

:GCB:: as of now it's a false projectile because it is over Marth. If anyone is willing to port DS over Lucario so we can get her a true projectile that would be awesome.

:GCU:+:GCB:: as of now up special off of the ground does not work properly and she does not elevate. Up special in the air however works fine. I'm not sure I like the animation but whoever looks at it can give their 2 cents.

:GCD:+:GCB:: is a reflector move which she does in both Echoes and Corruption. Couldn't find a graphic I liked yet but if she gets ported over Lucario maybe there's a way to implement her Echo facsimiles clones from Corruption upon counter and make it a totally different move.

-ledge/cliff grabs seems like it has a funky collision bubble. I don't know how to edit this to make it more reasonable.

-i think her shield bubble is moved to her legs when Guarding. Don't know how to edit this either.

:GCB:, charge in the air. I still haven't thought about integrating her huge Phazon death ray (from the last fight in Echoes) in a sensible way. There are a lot of options like making DS wait until she has a certain amount of damage or having it be available after a certain amount of time. I've explored both if these options but still haven't come up with a final conclusion. Another idea is having it work exactly like Ivysaur's Solarbeam in terms of charge up. It could be like an aerial version of Ivy's. (Since ivysaur fires diagonally upwards and DS fires diagonally downwards). Any thoughts?

-which brings me to the Plasma beam. Same deal as the phazon death ray except the problem is differentiating it. Or maybe it could just be a color swap for the Corruption DS costume since only she uses it.

-Getting the Dark Samus from Echoes to look as good as possible! My biggest priority as of now.

drogoth232

Smash Lord
Mind sending me the PSA to see if there's anything I can fix in regards to the up special?

Pretty sure I can fix the shield bubble problem too. Not sure about the cliff grab, but I can try that out.

Dark-Samus-Lives

Smash Journeyman
Mind sending me the PSA to see if there's anything I can fix in regards to the up special?

Pretty sure I can fix the shield bubble problem too. Not sure about the cliff grab, but I can try that out.
Sounds good. Feel free to modify anything or suggest anything also.

Oh and her down + up smashes, up tilt and neutral special aerial, and down air are also different based on her damage. I forgot the values but play around to see the different versions. They still need polish at this point but the main concept is there.

Dark-Samus-Lives

Smash Journeyman
You see my post by chance? Those attack ideas could make things easier for you. Possibly.
You mean these ideas?

The assist trophy's moves give a great idea of how the scattershot and pillars should look like.
The former should be a neutral and the latter a down special. Movement much like the assist trophy shown above.
I love this guy's ideas too.
Side special should be like that homing phazon blob "missiles" she does as well. Kinda mirroring Samus to an extent. Dive bomb idea was glorious too.
I very much want to see her. I love the Corruption attire (she was complete then haha).
Hope someone does this.
The model from SSB4 should be good enough.
These moves are pretty much done already. Side B is the Phazon Scattershot and down Smash is the pillars. I'm investigating into giving the pillars Reflection properties too.

By "Phazon Blob" missiles I think you're referring to the white energy balls that the DS assist trophy launches? I've actually made this move her Up Smash when it's fully charged. There's no easy way of making them homing though so until there is the three energy orbs travel in linear paths. I uploaded a video months ago showing the move off so check out my Youtube channel.

Weiss

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5000-5576-8555
You mean these ideas?

These moves are pretty much done already. Side B is the Phazon Scattershot and down Smash is the pillars. I'm investigating into giving the pillars Reflection properties too.

By "Phazon Blob" missiles I think you're referring to the white energy balls that the DS assist trophy launches? I've actually made this move her Up Smash when it's fully charged. There's no easy way of making them homing though so until there is the three energy orbs travel in linear paths. I uploaded a video months ago showing the move off so check out my Youtube channel.
Yessir you're awesome. Though honestly if you're planning on giving it reflector properties it should really be down special. Very similar in nature to Bagan's Ridley and his Down Special but in an instant.

Last edited:

Dark-Samus-Lives

Smash Journeyman
This was the last aspect of the project I worked on before Dark Samus put me into a Phazon induced coma. (i.e. laziness). I based it on what limited footage of the DS assist trophy there is. It's a start but it can flow more smoothly with adjustments.

Run animation.

Yessir you're awesome. Though honestly if you're planning on giving it reflector properties it should really be down special. Very similar in nature to Bagan's Ridley and his Down Special but in an instant.
It would work like Ness' forward smash. The window to reflect would be tight so it wouldn't been too useful. But again, nothing is final as of now.

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
This was the last aspect of the project I worked on before Dark Samus put me into a Phazon induced coma. (i.e. laziness). I based it on what limited footage of the DS assist trophy there is. It's a start but it can flow more smoothly with adjustments.

Run animation.

It would work like Ness' forward smash. The window to reflect would be tight so it wouldn't been too useful. But again, nothing is final as of now.
Clearly, right arm needs to be animated here instead of remaining static like that.

Dark-Samus-Lives

Smash Journeyman
So @ Dark-Samus-Lives Dark-Samus-Lives , are you gonna be the frontrunner of some sort of Dark Samus fan club? Like, a sort of Phaaze Clan...?
I've been her biggest fan since 2004! I've been waiting for Dark Samus to be playable in any form whatsoever for 10 years. There was the multiplayer from Echoes and I thought she was gonna be unlockable, then Metroid Prime: Hunters came out and I was hoping for her to be a secret character. After those two busts, I was pulling for her to be in Brawl but she got the shaft... And now fast forward to SSB4 and she's just an assist trophy. At least they kept her badass and represented her Phazon lethality well.

Weiss

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5000-5576-8555
Still not enough, much like how they tease us with Ridley. Honestly I don't see why Dark Samus wasn't done, she was do-able.

HypnotizeOverdrive

Smash Ace
NNID
HypnoOverdrive
I've been her biggest fan since 2004! I've been waiting for Dark Samus to be playable in any form whatsoever for 10 years. There was the multiplayer from Echoes and I thought she was gonna be unlockable, then Metroid Prime: Hunters came out and I was hoping for her to be a secret character. After those two busts, I was pulling for her to be in Brawl but she got the shaft... And now fast forward to SSB4 and she's just an assist trophy. At least they kept her badass and represented her Phazon lethality well.
I was hoping you'd get the pun...

Dark-Samus-Lives

Smash Journeyman
I was hoping you'd get the pun...
Reread it thrice. No go :-(

In other news, I wanna give DS a third jab. Anyone have the code(s) to do so? I can start working on the animations but I need the code to put into Brawlbox so that the three hits flow. Already got the first two going

Last edited:

drogoth232

Smash Lord
Reread it thrice. No go :-(

In other news, I wanna give DS a third jab. Anyone have the code(s) to do so? I can start working on the animations but I need the code to put into Brawlbox so that the three hits flow. Already got the first two going
I'll write it lol

Weiss

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5000-5576-8555
Yes. Yes I love her.
I always wondered what the creature looks like under the suit. Containing human, Metroid, and space pirate DNA (thanks to Samus' Phazon suit having the strands of DNA left by the Omega Pirate) this'll be fun. Not to mention Phazon.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
I always wondered what the creature looks like under the suit. Containing human, Metroid, and space pirate DNA (thanks to Samus' Phazon suit having the strands of DNA left by the Omega Pirate) this'll be fun. Not to mention Phazon.
We already know the answer:

I like it that way more than if it would be, say, ZSS, but with different colors. Makes Dark Samus look more like something out of Lovecraft and just more unique.
I doubt that thing has Samus' DNA since it absorbed Samus' Phazon Suit (and not any part of her or her normal suit) and after its defeat in MP2, i doubt it has anything other than Phazon in it.

Last edited:

Weiss

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5000-5576-8555
We already know the answer:

I like it that way more than if it would be, say, ZSS, but with different colors. Makes Dark Samus look more like something out of Lovecraft and just more unique.
I doubt that thing has Samus' DNA since it absorbed Samus' Phazon Suit (and not any part of her or her normal suit) and after its defeat in MP2, i doubt it has anything other than Phazon in it.
I dunno the scans suggest she does, maybe the Chozo infused her DNA into the suit as well? Stranger things have happened in the world of Metroid.
I dunno I always thought of that as an X-Ray type of appearance conjured up by the effects of Phazon, like it was possibly different and had features under the shell up until this point.
I think in Corruption she remains an entity built up of nothing but Phazon. So yeah probably. Like everything but Phazon was eliminated or overcome by said substance due to the constant exposure and limits of the other's DNA for it.
I guess you're right about that though, she'd remain more unique as the monster she is rather than looking like ZS Samus.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
I dunno the scans suggest she does, maybe the Chozo infused her DNA into the suit as well? Stranger things have happened in the world of Metroid.
I dunno I always thought of that as an X-Ray type of appearance conjured up by the effects of Phazon, like it was possibly different and had features under the shell up until this point.
I think in Corruption she remains an entity built up of nothing but Phazon. So yeah probably. Like everything but Phazon was eliminated or overcome by said substance due to the constant exposure and limits of the other's DNA for it.
I guess you're right about that though, she'd remain more unique as the monster she is rather than looking like ZS Samus.
Scans can get rather weird sometimes, with Ridley-sized (or at least bigger than Ganondorf) common Space Pirate scan image being one of the weirdest things. Either that or Space Pirates are THAT big and Ridley is just a tall guy for them.
It would make sense for it to look like that since it is Metroid Prime in Phazon Suit.
Considering how it could possess at least Rundas (something that i doubt could be done before) and how it dies after final battle (it explodes into phazon dust), it is pretty much confirmed.

Last edited:

Cahalan

Smash Ace
wait... does this mean Ridley and Dark Samus are on the same mod? So I can play as both of them???
Sadly no... both are separate metroid related mods that just happen to go really well together. Here's hoping we'll have both villians in project m soon. ;)

Weiss

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5000-5576-8555
Scans can get rather weird sometimes, with Ridley-sized (or at least bigger than Ganondorf) common Space Pirate scan image being one of the weirdest things. Either that or Space Pirates are THAT big and Ridley is just a tall guy for them.
It would make sense for it to look like that since it is Metroid Prime in Phazon Suit.
Considering how it could possess at least Rundas (something that i doubt could be done before) and how it dies after final battle (it explodes into phazon dust), it is pretty much confirmed.
Yeah. Also flaming eyes. Lol remember when the Pirate Lore suggested the Space Pirates captured Prime?
You are right.
Again, I really think her DNAs reached their limits with her constant Phazon diet, and became nothing but meaningless shackles to her only to disappear making her a living being of Phazon. Which would make sense out of her death when Phazon was eradicated. If she had been something else still she could've survived like Ridley did. Man I wish stuff like this existed, it would taste a lie to say I wouldn't experiment with it like the Pirates.

Cahalan

Smash Ace
Yeah. Also flaming eyes. Lol remember when the Pirate Lore suggested the Space Pirates captured Prime?
You are right.
Again, I really think her DNAs reached their limits with her constant Phazon diet, and became nothing but meaningless shackles to her only to disappear making her a living being of Phazon. Which would make sense out of her death when Phazon was eradicated. If she had been something else still she could've survived like Ridley did. Man I wish stuff like this existed, it would taste a lie to say I wouldn't experiment with it like the Pirates.
0_0 Imagine a Dark Samus that's part machine, part metroid, and part phazon, with some bounty hunter DNA in the mix... That's gone rouge...
Dear LORD!

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
0_0 Imagine a Dark Samus that's part machine, part metroid, and part phazon, with some bounty hunter DNA in the mix... That's gone rouge...
Dear LORD!
Ridley went further with Omega Ridley (giant mutant cyborg space dragon).

Anyway,
Dark Samus & Ridley having fun.

It looks weird while using that beam in the air. Is it like rotating?

Last edited:

Dark-Samus-Lives

Smash Journeyman
Ridley went further with Omega Ridley (giant mutant cyborg space dragon).

Anyway,

It looks weird while using that beam in the air. Is it like rotating?
No, it's Dark Samus' new down air. Instead of it being the Phazon Divebomb-comet I changed it to her sweeping below her with a short range phazon beam. The beam dissipates right after she swings her arm cannon.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
No, it's Dark Samus' new down air. Instead of it being the Phazon Divebomb-comet I changed it to her sweeping below her with a short range phazon beam. The beam dissipates right after she swings her arm cannon.
Good decision. Previous one was awkward to use since it went diagonally.
I have a question - are you using BrawlBox for animations?

Dark-Samus-Lives

Smash Journeyman
Good decision. Previous one was awkward to use since it went diagonally.
I have a question - are you using BrawlBox for animations?
Well the Divebomb is still being implemented but it's going to need to have certain conditions met before it's used such as a specific damage percent (i.e. DS can only used the Phazon Divebomb when she has 100% or more, just like Metroid Prime 2: Echoes)

Yeah, I'm using Brawlbox 0.68 b and 0.73 a.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Well the Divebomb is still being implemented but it's going to need to have certain conditions met before it's used such as a specific damage percent (i.e. DS can only used the Phazon Divebomb when she has 100% or more, just like Metroid Prime 2: Echoes)

Yeah, I'm using Brawlbox 0.68 b and 0.73 a.
Oh. Will you at least change its trajectory so its not 45 degrees? That is really awkward to hit with.

Well, then i'll just let you know: there is easier way to make animations. It uses Autodesk Maya instead and requires more time to learn, but animating arms and legs with it becomes a lot easier (especialy legs since this way does not requires legs to be manually posed every frame to avoid feet moving all over the place instead of remaining on the ground). Just example of it.

Last edited:

drogoth232

Smash Lord
While Maya helps with animating, it's really bad to start doing it this far into a PSA. Especially when file size will be an issue.

Top Bottom