• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dark Samus Approaching: Extreme caution recommended.

Dark-Samus-Lives

Smash Journeyman
When do u think this is going to be done, I hope it arrives before christmas tho
I'm about 80% done with her animations and graphics but it's difficult finding skilled PSA coders now that Smash 4 is out. Once I get some coding help on her specials I should be able to give a release date estimate.

This looks really cool. Very true to the original character. Great work!
Thanks a lot! My goal from the very beginning was to capture the very essence of how Dark Samus acted and attacked in Echoes and bring her to Smash/Project M.

Dark-Samus-Lives

Smash Journeyman
Another graphical update. My whole reason for starting this project was to get my favorite Dark Samus moves from Echoes in Smash and prove to myself that I am capable of creating a quality mod. I wanted the moves to look and feel extremely close to how they did in MP2. My three absolute favorite DS moves were:

Phazon Laser Sweep (Elevator fight from Metroid Prime 2: Echoes)

Phazon Scattershot (First two fights from Metroid Prime 2: Echoes)

Phazon Tractorbeam (Final fight against Dark Samus' skeletal form)- *the beam looks pretty damn near identical to how it does in Echoes!

Balance issues aside, I am done with these moves finally! A tiny milestone but animating and graphics took forever to get down. The huge Phazon Beam animation can probably use some work but other than that I'm finally happy with how these look. Now onto balancing, getting the Dark Samus model to look as optimal as possible and integrating sound effects from Echoes into a Sawndz file.

I know that the chances of getting help are slim to none on here but if anyone can investigate on how Dark Samus appears in game that would be great. Her model seems to be very dark (pun not intended actually) compared to how the rest of the cast looks. Maybe there's some lighting effect that she's missing? Does anyone have any idea?

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
I would recommend create new object that would be on top of those blue dots using texture from shoulders, but with only phazon parts of the texture (make separate one with black part of texture transparent) and use SSBB Ridley boss' eyes materials for it because it would make them glow in the dark. Then do same thing with the visor. I will edit this post few minutes later to show how it would look like.
EDIT: here:
I obviously didn't really cared about grey bits remaining because i just wanted to show how it would look like. Fourside is a pretty dark stage, so, those should be dark, but they are glowing instead. Well, not really glowing and more like they just are not affected by lightning of the stage. Do same with the visor and canon's barrel. You can saturate textures if you want. You'd better just saturate all textures to fit rest of the cast.

Last edited:

Dark-Samus-Lives

Smash Journeyman
I would recommend create new object that would be on top of those blue dots using texture from shoulders, but with only phazon parts of the texture (make separate one with black part of texture transparent) and use SSBB Ridley boss' eyes materials for it because it would make them glow in the dark. Then do same thing with the visor. I will edit this post few minutes later to show how it would look like.
EDIT: here:
I obviously didn't really cared about grey bits remaining because i just wanted to show how it would look like. Fourside is a pretty dark stage, so, those should be dark, but they are glowing instead. Well, not really glowing and more like they just are not affected by lightning of the stage. Do same with the visor and canon's barrel. You can saturate textures if you want. You'd better just saturate all textures to fit rest of the cast.
Great suggestion. I think it would definitely look good for the visor and arm cannon, but for the shoulders I wanted to find someone to make an STRO (texture animation) simulating flowing lava, just how it looks in this video:

Once those things are edited I think the model will look really good.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Great suggestion. I think it would definitely look good for the visor and arm cannon, but for the shoulders I wanted to find someone to make an STRO (texture animation) simulating flowing lava, just how it looks in this video:

Once those things are edited I think the model will look really good.
That would be great. By the way, phazon laser sweep's gfx looks kinda weird - beam isn't thick enough (you can still see barell of arm cannon) or that FS glow is too big. Fully charged beam looks great.

Dark-Samus-Lives

Smash Journeyman
That would be great. By the way, phazon laser sweep's gfx looks kinda weird - beam isn't thick enough (you can still see barell of arm cannon) or that FS glow is too big. Fully charged beam looks great.
I need to add a particle effect to cover the barrel of the cannon. Watch this video, the beam is supposed to be very thin

And thanks. Just need to implement the fully charged beam in a fair, sensible way so it's not broken.

Dark-Samus-Lives

Smash Journeyman

Anyone have any idea how to rig/map bones to individually animate each tentacle? As of now I can only manipulate the entire model.

drogoth232

Smash Lord
The model is already fully rigged.

I'll see if I have an older version of the model and make it so that it's only one tentacle.

Dark-Samus-Lives

Smash Journeyman
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XEGYIdJv6Q

Adding bones for each tentacle might increase the size of the anim and effects file too much though. Wouldn't it be better to have one single tentacle?
Absolutely. Fortunately Drogoth is helping me with the tentacle dilemma so this is should get done soon.

The original tendrils I have in earlier preview pics are coded using just one so it should be a very easy graphic swap. Which is awesome because it will free up about 40 kb of space so I can implement even more coding and/or gfx. The next item on the agenda is making her boost ball attack.

Cahalan

Smash Ace
This PSA is looking great! I can't wait to make a CSS icon for this! ;)

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
I'll be watching this mod with great interest, as this and the Ridley PSA are going to be my only incentives to play PM when I get Sm4sh as well.

Who would Dark Samus replace on the character select screen? I noticed that the video on the OP has the FE logo for Dark Samus as a placeholder...Roy? I'd be able to do without Jigglypuff, Wolf or Roy, for instance.

Dark-Samus-Lives

Smash Journeyman
This PSA is looking great! I can't wait to make a CSS icon for this! ;)
Thanks. A Dark Samus CSS icon would be great. Feel free to make more lol

I'll be watching this mod with great interest, as this and the Ridley PSA are going to be my only incentives to play PM when I get Sm4sh as well.

Who would Dark Samus replace on the character select screen? I noticed that the video on the OP has the FE logo for Dark Samus as a placeholder...Roy? I'd be able to do without Jigglypuff, Wolf or Roy, for instance.
She's over Marth for the moment but hopefully someone knows how to "clone" Marth using the BrawlEx engine so that Marth and Dark Samus can coexist.

Last edited:

Dark-Samus-Lives

Smash Journeyman
I figure it's about time I get a USB capture card and upload a new video; there have been drastic improvements to graphics and moves from the video in the original post and I'm really pleased with the progress I've made on the project. So be on the lookout this coming week...

Last edited:

Cahalan

Smash Ace
Thanks. A Dark Samus CSS icon would be great. Feel free to make more lol

She's over Marth for the moment but hopefully someone knows how to "clone" Marth using the BrawlEx engine so that Marth and Dark Samus can coexist.
To make the icon I'll need CSP's based of your model (when it's finished and polished) and I know someone by the name @PyotrLuzhin who can use the PMEX engine (PM's clone engine) to add her in {though until the PMDT is comfy with their engine out in the open, the method is still behind closed doors and non-public]; as for Brawl Ex there should be plenty of tutorials on how to add clones.

Dark-Samus-Lives

Smash Journeyman
To make the icon I'll need CSP's based of your model (when it's finished and polished) and I know someone by the name @PyotrLuzhin who can use the PMEX engine (PM's clone engine) to add her in {though until the PMDT is comfy with their engine out in the open, the method is still behind closed doors and non-public]; as for Brawl Ex there should be plenty of tutorials on how to add clones.
I'm using a png render from Echoes right now actually. It looks really good...

So I don't know if work needs to be done to actually create a custom CSP... But yeah once I get the model looking prime (yay pun) and ready I'll send it your way.

And I'm sure there's info on how to clone a character but as a one man team I've still got to finish the moveset, polish graphics and animations, and clean up the model before I even attempt to learn about BrawlEx so absolutely any help is appreciated.

Dark-Samus-Lives

Smash Journeyman
Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
I'm using a png render from Echoes right now actually. It looks really good...

So I don't know if work needs to be done to actually create a custom CSP... But yeah once I get the model looking prime (yay pun) and ready I'll send it your way.
It does looks very good except for blurry textures. Too bad it will be butchered if turned into CSP without some heavy editing.
You mean like this?
Needs purple aura around character.
I figure it's about time I get a USB capture card and upload a new video; there have been drastic improvements to graphics and moves from the video in the original post and I'm really pleased with the progress I've made on the project. So be on the lookout this coming week...

Good to know. I have a suggestion for it - use Dark Samus' theme either from here or here for the video by replacing one of the shown stage' music tracks. Use Brawl music replacement tutorials if you don't know how to do that. That would be more fitting and wouldn't require any editing done to loop its theme.

Cahalan

Smash Ace
It does looks very good except for blurry textures. Too bad it will be butchered if turned into CSP without some heavy editing.

Needs purple aura around character.

Good to know. I have a suggestion for it - use Dark Samus' theme either from here or here for the video by replacing one of the shown stage' music tracks. Use Brawl music replacement tutorials if you don't know how to do that. That would be more fitting and wouldn't require any editing done to loop its theme.
I can't recreate the purple aura, so... I'll leave the CSS icon as it is. (plus I really don't fancy the aura all that much either)

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Dark Samus has absorbed Ghor's PLASMA BEAM.
*Beam position will be moved forward.

Add glowing effect to the barrel of the cannon from something like Ridley's metal sparks, Meta Ridley's mouth when he charges up that giant fireball, Mario Final Smash's fire remaining on the ground, etc. to make it look better.

I have a question about recolors - will there be Fabulous recolor, like on Captain Falcon and Meta Knight?

HypnotizeOverdrive

Smash Ace
NNID
HypnoOverdrive
I have a question. Will you make a version of Dark Samus for those who want to add her in BrawlEx for vBrawl? It's an easy copy and paste, but Dark Samus's physics will be insanely different as a result if anyone attempts to use the character as is in vBrawl.

Dark-Samus-Lives

Smash Journeyman
I have a question. Will you make a version of Dark Samus for those who want to add her in BrawlEx for vBrawl? It's an easy copy and paste, but Dark Samus's physics will be insanely different as a result if anyone attempts to use the character as is in vBrawl.
No, I have no plans on making her usable in vBrawl. One, because I don't even know what that is, and two I don't know how to use the BrawlEx engine. If someone knowledgeable in this arena wants to work with me on integrating her for vBrawl though, I wouldn't be opposed to it.

HypnotizeOverdrive

Smash Ace
NNID
HypnoOverdrive
No, I have no plans on making her usable in vBrawl. One, because I don't even know what that is, and two I don't know how to use the BrawlEx engine. If someone knowledgeable in this arena wants to work with me on integrating her for vBrawl though, I wouldn't be opposed to it.
vBrawl = Standard Brawl.
As for BrawlEx compatibility, I'm sure someone can make it work or help you if interest is high enough.
Regardless, great work on the mod, it looks incredibly promising.

Last edited:

Dark-Samus-Lives

Smash Journeyman
op pls nerf

jk lol :cheep:
No its too weak, buff it now! Make it full screen, with blackjack and Metroids.

But this raises a question - what exactly balances out those 2 attacks?
Ha, I knew this question was going to be asked but over the past week I've discovered codes to implement in an attempt to balance the moves out. When I release the next preview video I'm gonna make a detailed write up explaining the new mechanics I've integrated onto Dark Samus but here's an abbreviated explanation of how the moves work so far:

-The Special N Air Charged- Big Phazon and Plasma Beams (shown in the last two preview posts) can only be used over a certain damage % or else it will be just be an enlarged version of this:

-The Plasma Beam is a stronger version of the Phazon Beam and has a cool down so that it cannot be constantly used. DS's arm cannon will ignite will a flame graphic to indicate that she can use the move again.

-DS points the Plasma Beam directly below her and sweeps it forward like this (watch the DS clone to the left using the beam):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDKaz_ZHWgw#t=314

Still thinking about how to make this move better but this is how it is so far.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Ha, I knew this question was going to be asked but over the past week I've discovered codes to implement in an attempt to balance the moves out. When I release the next preview video I'm gonna make a detailed write up explaining the new mechanics I've integrated onto Dark Samus but here's an abbreviated explanation of how the moves work so far:

-The Special N Air Charged- Big Phazon and Plasma Beams (shown in the last two preview posts) can only be used over a certain damage % or else it will be just be an enlarged version of this:

-The Plasma Beam is a stronger version of the Phazon Beam and has a cool down so that it cannot be constantly used. DS's arm cannon will ignite will a flame graphic to indicate that she can use the move again.

-DS points the Plasma Beam directly below her and sweeps it forward like this (watch the DS clone to the left using the beam):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDKaz_ZHWgw#t=314

Still thinking about how to make this move better but this is how it is so far.
Well, then thats fine i guess. I would suggest using Meta Ridley' small charged fireball (that one he shoots when holding Blue Falcon) recolored to be blue because current phazon...sphere GFX looks weird and too blurred.

Dark-Samus-Lives

Smash Journeyman
Well, then thats fine i guess. I would suggest using Meta Ridley' small charged fireball (that one he shoots when holding Blue Falcon) recolored to be blue because current phazon...sphere GFX looks weird and too blurred.
It doesn't look too bad because it's small and the particle effects I added make it looks aesthetic. Plus, I can't really waste more file space on a graphic for just one move.

And now another preview animation. Neutral Jab, 34 frames. She slashes with those gnarly fingers of hers:

Gonna make this into a three hit jab combo.

Last edited:

Cahalan

Smash Ace
Since this is mostly likely going to be compared to regular samus, what are the main differences between her and her dark counter part?

HypnotizeOverdrive

Smash Ace
NNID
HypnoOverdrive
Since this is mostly likely going to be compared to regular samus, what are the main differences between her and her dark counter part?
Actually, very little of this PSA is similar to Samus. The first few posts should discuss technical differences.

Top Bottom