• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dallas Stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoK the Reaper

Smash Lord
Rage: I got too many MM's already, we'll do five dollars, and more once I beat Break your armour and whoever else I was fighting.

Felix : You said you weren't going to be back in Dallas (AIM conversation) A while ago. And I had no idea you challenged me for another money match, as I hardly ever check the boards. (Just now and recently), state what your money match was again and I'll respond to it ASAP.

Felix, also, I'm not afraid because if My roy got that close my Marth would most likely slaughter you.

bluezaft

The True Zaft
Rage: I got too many MM's already, we'll do five dollars, and more once I beat Break your armour and whoever else I was fighting..
WHAT are you talking about? Break hasn't been to a tournament or even posted on smashboards since November. Where are you getting that he'll be there, much less that you'll be money matching him?

In case you all didn't know, Mango won Pound3, beating Azen, Chu, Cort, PC, and M2K twice. The last match of the last big Melee tournament was a Jigglypuff ditto on Brinstar. Who would have guessed?

Landon, when are you getting back to tell us all about it?

tac0

Smash Journeyman
I think rok meant cloak and dagger.

Also: $1 mm's with fire, poot, cloak and dagger, rage,kid r0b0t, and k.g.

Yes?

RoK the Reaper

Smash Lord
Blue, I meant Cloak and Dagger you idiot.

And Felix,we'll see. Once I get all money matches out of the way first. I don't know why people on SB think I'm made of money.

Edit: Also, if you're coming back in mid-March (After BRAWL is released). I'll be done retired from Melee by then since I'll be working on Ike. Since Roy didn't make it, I have stopped playing him, and in general really stopped caring about Melee since Brawl is my new focus point.

So if you come back before then and someone (Besides Blue) Hold's something, then we'll get the $10 in since I'll definately have it, it's maybe/maybe not if you come to the tournament, definately afterwards since I'll be built up more money by then.

DoH

meleeitonme.tumblr.com
I'm home *****es.

Xelic is the best Peach dittoer ever.

But I think I'm coming in pretty close for second.

Reckon

Smash Apprentice
Why must you hold these gatherings when I work?
It'd be good to make another appearance, its been so long.

Zenjamin

Smash Lord
Jarrrrreeed!

Clear out your PMs man, I cant send you anything... anyways,

Do you know anyone with a Japanese version of brawl and a moded Wii?
Jordon should get his version wednesday... i wonder how much lag there would be between here and texas.

runningbrave

Smash Journeyman
pit has #1 projectile...
amazing aerial game...
has multiple jumps...
can dash dance...
and hes fast...

zenjamin ben: cleared my pms.
fox almighty ben: lol.
taco: i accept.

RoK the Reaper

Smash Lord
May 10th, I'll be writing an "How to play Ike" Guide so you will all know of his awesomeness.

I will discover a new move or technique for the game and have "RoK' infront of every move I find.

I will gain smash elite status and win a major MLG tournament, and be permitted after so many wins into the smash backroom.

Once I am the best in Dallas, I will take all of your money and laugh as you have no choice but to King me in Brawl.

Biggest Threat in Brawl due to no L-cancelling : Broly, Nuff said.

JohnnyLeven

Smash Cadet
Is anyone considering going to "The End" Melee Tournament this weekend? I was considering it and I was wondering if anyone wanted to carpool down there. I'd be willing to drive.

bluezaft

The True Zaft
And you'll ride your magnificent unicorn Winchester through the 400-acre wood behind your mansion every day.

Xelic is the best Peach dittoer ever.

But I think I'm coming in pretty close for second.
Ahem. You have YET to beat me in a Peach ditto. That makes you third.

Biggest Threat in Brawl due to no L-cancelling : Broly, Nuff said.
Agreed. I'm pretty scared of that kid. Plus it seems Marth got better.

EDIT: Hey JohnnyLeven, just go to the Dallas tournament that weekend. The only thing they've got is Brawl, and there's going to be like 25 people trying to play it the whole time.

DoH

meleeitonme.tumblr.com
I'll money match anyone in Peach dittos. I'm terrible at them.

I'll take your skanky green peach on any day Chris.

JohnnyLeven

Smash Cadet
EDIT: Hey JohnnyLeven, just go to the Dallas tournament that weekend. The only thing they've got is Brawl, and there's going to be like 25 people trying to play it the whole time.
Yeah. You're probably right. Guess I'll just wait till March 10th like everyone else.

felix45

Smash Lord
@rok - ok then. well I wont be coming back until mid march more than likely. so yea. if you want to do the melee money match when I am in dallas though in march I'll be sure to remind you of it :p

pootTheBox

Smash Ace

we should do stage strike and random reset
how is pot to be distributed? and... losers, winners, and grand finals are to be 3/5 without mlg stipulations, as in the record from the first set doesn't carry over, am i right?
MLG stipulations are good. Makes it where the winner always has won more matches. Just takes longer. I kinda implied stage strike by saying you could ban random stages. Random reset is pretty tedious with random stage banning.You can always just agree with your opponent on levels.
You know I'll be there with a full setup!
YES! PEOPLE BRING MORE!
In case you all didn't know, Mango won Pound3, beating Azen, Chu, Cort, PC, and M2K twice. The last match of the last big Melee tournament was a Jigglypuff ditto on Brinstar. Who would have guessed?
Not I, my lord. Now here comes the swarm of lethal balloons.
Also: $1 mm's with fire, poot, cloak and dagger, rage,kid r0b0t, and k.g.
Yes.
Why must you hold these gatherings when I work?
It'd be good to make another appearance, its been so long.
When don't you work? I'm sorry still.
I'll take you up on that offer.
Don't do drugs. Your brain has gone from tickled to kneaded to pulp. Peach ditto? Brave soul.
DK64 is on random AND Peach can ban Yoshi's, my only real counterpick? :crying: I cry on the inside.
DK64 on random got past me somehow. I'm in no way for that. I edited that post a couple pages back of the SBR pTB edition.

bluezaft

The True Zaft
Guys, I know I shouldn't judge Brawl before playing it, but it just looks so...boring. Why?

1) Combos are out. Much less hitstun combined with better DI and no l-canceling makes it impossible to combo. I have yet to see ONE legitimate combo.

2) Everyone's floatier and have better recoveries, no "large" stages, the edge sweet-spots for you, and the whole roll-off-the-edge-so-your-opponent-can't-get-on doesn't work anymore makes for no edgeguarding. Which was, you know, half of Melee.

3) Grabs are nearly pointless. For the most part, grabs send you farther. Not as far as 64 of course, so the don't kill, but you can't combo out of them either. Even the ones that don't send you far (Marth) don't combo because of point #1.

Every match I've seen is just characters chipping in damage until they can use their kill moves. It's like the whole game is Jigglypuff dittos! Items seem to be the only way to make the game interesting...but items get boring.

Let's all hope we figure neat stuff out that make it interesting like we did with Melee. Otherwise...

MLG stipulations are good. Makes it where the winner always has won more matches. Just takes longer. I kinda implied stage strike by saying you could ban random stages. Random reset is pretty tedious with random stage banning.
DK64 is on random AND Peach can ban Yoshi's, my only real counterpick? :crying: I cry on the inside.

Scav

Tires don Exits
BRoomer
Awww, Blue :( I was about to ask you to be my date.

bluezaft

The True Zaft
It's so not worth it. Like waiting for half an hour to play a FFA? In a month I'll be able to play Brawl to my heart's content. But I think Landon wants to go?

RoK the Reaper

Smash Lord
RoK's answer to brawl.

Guys, I know I shouldn't judge Brawl before playing it, but it just looks so...boring. Why?

1) Combos are out. Much less hitstun combined with better DI and no l-canceling makes it impossible to combo. I have yet to see ONE legitimate combo.

2) Everyone's floatier and have better recoveries, no "large" stages, the edge sweet-spots for you, and the whole roll-off-the-edge-so-your-opponent-can't-get-on doesn't work anymore makes for no edgeguarding. Which was, you know, half of Melee.

3) Grabs are nearly pointless. For the most part, grabs send you farther. Not as far as 64 of course, so the don't kill, but you can't combo out of them either. Even the ones that don't send you far (Marth) don't combo because of point #1.

Every match I've seen is just characters chipping in damage until they can use their kill moves. It's like the whole game is Jigglypuff dittos! Items seem to be the only way to make the game interesting...but items get boring.

Let's all hope we figure neat stuff out that make it interesting like we did with Melee. Otherwise...

Fine by me, my main wouldn't be able to combo even with L-Cancelling (Ike), So I don't care.

No edgeguarding means you'll have to think more, or you'll have to go off the stage and utilize the floatyness to make sure that your opponent can't get back, makes for new strategies, this isn't melee 2.0.

Brawl looks fun, many people played Melee with hardly any combo ability until advanced techniques came about (as in the people who didn't know about them from Smash 64). You'll have to learn how to chase and fight, so what you can't pull over super huge combos, big deal?

Next, this game doesnt depend on technical skill therefore, EVERYONE is about even and the skills and how you play this game will surely show you who is better and not by advanced techniques; New pros and new skills shall arise. Just because no "glitches" have been discovered, doesn't mean their won't be, and GOD **** TOURNEY***S! It doesn't look fun? Well, maybe if you play the game like it was INTENDED TO BE PLAYED. (Y'know, final smashes, items; Wifi play and 4 player Free-for-alls), it might actually be an okay game. Not everything revolves around Zero items.

=]

bluezaft

The True Zaft
yoshi's isn't that good of a counterpick anyway...learn some fun stages chris.
I play Marth. I don't have the luxury of fun. Sure, I'd LIKE to have 18 counterpick stages that I **** on, but I don't. I'll have you know I've been practicing on MK2 and Peach's Castle after the SBR rules came out...but they're both banned anyway. The only rule change for this tournament benefits you, you son of a pig.

It's like the whole game is Jigglypuff dittos! Items seem to be the only way to make the game interesting...but items get boring.
It doesn't look fun? Well, maybe if you play the game like it was INTENDED TO BE PLAYED. (Y'know, final smashes, items; Wifi play and 4 player Free-for-alls), it might actually be an okay game. Not everything revolves around Zero items.
Okay, thanks for the reiteration, I guess?

Igbutton

Smash Rookie
So my interwebs are in a state of flux and I have to stay home on Saturday to wait for a technician so I won't be able to make the tourney. Isn't that big of a deal as far as missing a great player (I suck), but since I was planning on bringing a full setup I just thought I would give a heads up.

RoK the Reaper

Smash Lord
NOTICE

Is anyone able to give me a ride? I might not be able to make it unless I am given a ride just incase Rawr or J-Roc can't go or something. And since it starts at 5, I'm sure I won't make it back to the bus in time; in addition to taking me (I'll meet you somewhere via bus or dart train) and I'll need them to also take me back home after the tournament is over.

Edited: Punctuation and minor spelling errors.

pootTheBox

Smash Ace
^^^People called him mommy and made fun of him being a christian rapper.

RoK: Now that you have the crown, can I be knighted? Being made a Baron would suffice as well.

Bule: Teams is $4 total nowzies. I dunno if you wanna put the rules on the front page being large and all. Find any problems with the rules now?

People bring setups!

RoK the Reaper

Smash Lord
Yeah, I think I wrecked him too much. If he would've kept trash talking I would've crusified his ***. (Since I rap as well and have some completed underground stuff =D Need to MAKE A MUSIC MYSPACE! ) But yeah. He sucked donkey balls.

Anyways, on the move to other things. I still need a ride for this tournament, and sure. Poot. Offically by me, RoK (King of Dallas). I here by dubb thee Sir Box, Knight of the Kingdom of Bean-Kabob-Mafia. Go forth and tickle brains!

Fogo

Smash Shinigami
hey RoK, after the time runs out on a premium account does it switch your name back to your old account name? or does all the title change stuff stay?

Cloak and Dagger

Smash Journeyman
Fire when you change youre little avatar quote when you get a premium account it stays forever, just take a look at mine. I havent had a premium account since 05

pootTheBox

Smash Ace
Continuation Sets: A continuation set is a way of handling rematches in a double elimination bracket. Most smashers recognize it by the way MLG handles rematches. I’m not sure why, but the general opinion of this is overwhelmingly negative. The fact is that having a continuation set is a better method than having each set handled separately.

The reason is that the winner is guaranteed to have won more games over his opponent. I’ll use an example here from an actual tournament that took place here in Arizona not long ago.

-Player 1 wins the winners finals set 3-1
-Player 2 comes back into the championship finals and wins the second set 3-2
-Player 2 then wins another set 3-2.
-Player 2 wins the tournament.

But you can see that they both won 7 games! Player 2 is awarded the victory in the tournament because of the order in which he won the games, not how many games he won, which should be the case. A continuation set essentially says “You have to win more games over your opponent in order to beat them” which is perfectly reasonable.

Why i'm for continuation sets. Although in the explanation I don't get why there are 3 sets now. Bule!?!

RoK: Thanks Sire. You heard him people. It's Sir poot, The Box. Get it right.

DoH

meleeitonme.tumblr.com
A continuation set makes it IMPOSSIBLE to come back in some sets because of counterpicking. A fox can continually counterpick Green Greens, Rainbow Cruise, Floats, Stadium, Corneria, FD, etc. Because the set isn't continued on a neutral stage, the player from the losers bracket has to come back and win on their opponents counterpick stage.

The number of games shouldn't matter, it's how many sets you win. Player 2 won more sets, and therefore wins the tournament. They took the opposing player out twice.

Continuation sets force the player coming back from the losers bracket to win 6 games before their opponent wins 3. Without counterpicking, that's essentially impossible.

Other sports, like Tennis, don't consider how many games someone wins within a set, so why should we? If I lose my first set 6-1, but win the next two 4-6, 4-6, should I lose because I didn't win as many games? No, because I won more sets. 'Extended sets' are dumb because if you're not play well in your first set, it makes it incredibly difficult to come back.

LittleAssassin

Smash Rookie
sorry to bother everybody with my nooby questions... but the gigi tourny on 2/9 will be my first, and im a little lost on how things work:confused:

1. Do i need to register or just show up?
2. What do i bring?
3. Is it at somebodys house or a rec center or something?
4. Just taking a guess... about how many people show up to these things?

EDIT:

5. Around how late is it expected to go for?

milkshake33

Smash Apprentice
i havent been here in a while..... but my friend ordered brawl and a japanese wii so i have played it...... ive played it for about 7 hours and can answer any questions you still have about the game..... just pm me with any questions...... not mentioning anything here bc i dont want people who are waiting to know any spilers.... im open to any question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom