• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dallas Stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Bob

Smash Apprentice
I have nothing to do tonight. Anybody want to come to my apartment on UTD to play a few matches? I don't have a lot of room; I'd probably only want 3 visitors maximum. PM me if you want to come, and I'll tell you my apartment number.

felix45

Smash Lord
@bob - protip: posting at 6:30 at night saying people can come over means you wont get more than 1 or 2 if you are lucky.
no need to limit the amount, you already did that by giving people no time to plan whether or not they'd like to go.

just for future reference.

Big Bob

Smash Apprentice
Eh, it was more a "I'm bored, let's see if this works" thing rather than expecting to get actual results.

Sand-Trap

Smash Journeyman
So, I hear there are some people going to the Akon tournamentastic.

Some quick information:

Yes, it is single elimination. I know, that makes people teary-eyed (or tiery-eyed?), but given the size, resources and crowd of Akon, it is the best option. We want the event to be open to as many people as possible, so given the choice between a 32-person double elim, and a 128-person single elim, we went with the latter.

The tournament will be Singles. There may be a doubles tournament and/or a FFA tournament, depending on interest. Singles will begin at 1pm, Saturday,.

REGISTRATION BEGINS AT 11AM SATURDAY. You MUST be there promptly at 11 to ensure your spot. The tournament is capped at 128. Akon is a strange beast – in the past, we've had 128-person tournaments fill up in less than 30 minutes.

Oh, and items are off ;)

$5 registration; prize will be split 60/20/10/10. If we fill all 128 spots, the prizes will be $ 384/128/64/64. Not bad for a casual day at the con, eh?

I'll have more information posted tonight, including a preliminary ruleset. The finalized ruleset will be available as printouts at the con.

Executive Summary:
Akon Super Smash Bros. Brawl Tournament
Saturday, May 31
Registation: 11am
Tournament starts: 1pm
Format: 128-person Single Elimination
Items Off
Awesomeness On
Can the finals at least be best 3/5, so that the players watching and playing can feel that climatic, exciting feeling? XD.

___X___

Smash Lord
HEY SMASHERS!! this is dancing fighter X

and i would like to tell you all that theres a PLAY N TRADE BRAWL TOURNAMENT

MAY 30th, friday, OREM UTAH. starts around 6:30

i heard its gonna be really big and the winner is gonna get a WII!

and like 2nd place is 100 bucks or something i dunno,

come check it out!!!!

COME!!!!!!!!!!!!:bluejump: :bluejump: :bluejump: :bluejump: :bluejump: :bluejump:

Bwett

Smash Ace
HEY SMASHERS!! this is dancing fighter X

and i would like to tell you all that theres a PLAY N TRADE BRAWL TOURNAMENT

MAY 30th, friday, OREM UTAH. starts around 6:30

i heard its gonna be really big and the winner is gonna get a WII!

and like 2nd place is 100 bucks or something i dunno,

come check it out!!!!

COME!!!!!!!!!!!!:bluejump: :bluejump: :bluejump: :bluejump: :bluejump: :bluejump:
Dude, even if we had left exactly when you posted it, we would've only had three hours to spare to get there. Just alittle far away as well lol.

Quick, somebody tell Mr. 3000 not to come, he'll surely get beaten.

i really dont wanna spend 20 dollars on gaykon.

but the tournament is so alluring :chuckle:

EDIT: hylian is now my favorite ic user in brawl, his combo vid was rapetactic
I'm gonna be going there today around 2 if you care to come with. Today is gonna be alot of friendlies. And what are you talking about gaykon? You like anime and you like scantily clad women, wtf?! lol

Big Bob

Smash Apprentice
...People's immaturity amazes me. For one, calling it "gaykon" is not clever or funny. You wouldn't find it amusing if someone called our favorite game "Super Gay Bros. Melee" would you?

And don't make fun of me for asking if anybody wanted to play. I didn't expect a large turnout, and I only asked because I was bored.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Quick, somebody tell Mr. 3000 not to come, he'll surely get beaten.

i really dont wanna spend 20 dollars on gaykon.

but the tournament is so alluring :chuckle:

EDIT: hylian is now my favorite ic user in brawl, his combo vid was rapetactic
Thanks ^_^.

Soo...I am leaving very early from Austin on Saturday. Hope to see you all there!

Reckon

Smash Apprentice
...People's immaturity amazes me. For one, calling it "gaykon" is not clever or funny. You wouldn't find it amusing if someone called our favorite game "Super Gay Bros. Melee" would you?

And don't make fun of me for asking if anybody wanted to play. I didn't expect a large turnout, and I only asked because I was bored.
Well see, gaykon actually works since it sounds like A-kon, you just went out of your way to make some haphazard insult to Melee, which was unsuccessful.

bluezaft

The True Zaft
Melee!? More like Gay-lay!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Don't pretend like you didn't laugh. Share the same joy we get from laughing at anime. Unless you have incorporated anime into the very fibers of your being, you really shouldn't take offense. I don't care if people make fun of smash, after all.

Is anybody not going to Akon? And coming to UTD? Surely not all smashers are anime fans and want to play some Brawlee. Brelee?

slacker!

Smash Journeyman
wooooooot I'll be able to make it to the tourney on 9th.

I got a new chaingrab: up-throw chaingrab. It's sexy. Just wait till I do it on billy :)

Now I can CG every direction LOL

Bwett

Smash Ace
wooooooot I'll be able to make it to the tourney on 9th.

I got a new chaingrab: up-throw chaingrab. It's sexy. Just wait till I do it on billy :)

Now I can CG every direction LOL
Unfortunately, i have class on that day (Inverse Problems and their Applications) so I probably won't be able to attend. Now, I would skip it, but this is my first grad class...so its rather difficult lol. Who knows though, they might cut class early.

Also, if you want to get in some friendlies some time after, just hit me up. I tend to have people over quite frequently.

Dark_Meow1

Smash Ace
What's all this about 128 person brawl singles? Blue Zaft, I think I've found a way to perhaps arouse interest in Brawl for you, but I'd have to show you. (Definetly worth looking at, and if nothing else you can stick to melee)

Fogo

Smash Shinigami
umm "big bob"....i was kidding. Why were you so offended by such a mundaine statement?

We love our gay smashers here in dallas, i mean look at Do<3.

We all enjoy the company of Do<3.

And it's not like i'm some biggot denouncing a-kon and all anime, i like anime from time to time.

I couldn't really see anyone getting that mad over it unless it deeply rubbed them the wrong way.

so either you live in an anime of some sort, or your in the closet?

Or maybe you just like to call others immature and point fingers?

Who knows? Only god or "big bob" could answer that. But hey, coming out on smashboards would be awesome man, we wouldnt think any different of you.

And what are you talking about gaykon? You like anime and you like scantily clad women, wtf?! lol
Haha shut up or i'll do the Dempsey roll on you lol

Big Bob

Smash Apprentice
Eh, gay jokes just rub me the wrong way. I just don't find them funny, and it sounded less like you were making a joke and more trying to insult the community. If you didn't mean to, then I apologize too.

...I hate to sound like some weird guy that apologizes every single chance he gets, but it seems to happen. I'd rather be friends with everyone and look like a moron than be too proud admit a mistake.

Cloak and Dagger

Smash Journeyman
Eh, gay jokes just rub me the wrong way. I just don't find them funny, and it sounded less like you were making a joke and more trying to insult the community. If you didn't mean to, then I apologize too.

...I hate to sound like some weird guy that apologizes every single chance he gets, but it seems to happen. I'd rather be friends with everyone and look like a moron than be too proud admit a mistake.

/Big Gay Bob

slacker!

Smash Journeyman
/Big Gay Bob
haaa, well played

anyways, I'll still CG you billy. you'll be in class and get this extraordinary feeling in the middle of it and you'll have no idea how to describe it, and the only thought going through your mind will be "Ice Climbers".

remember when I said my CGs were inescapable?

yeah. even in real life.

Fogo

Smash Shinigami

hah, good choice man, it's always better to be loved in a smash community.

@jaketehsnake: LMFAO

bluezaft

The True Zaft

"Gay" as an insult isn't a homosexual joke. It's slang originating from the homosexual term, just as the homosexual term once originated from "jolly good times" and has since taken on a totally different meaning. Slang like this happens a lot (see lame and ****) and if you're going to get upset over an insult over the word's origins, you're going to be a mighty unhappy fellow most of the time.

For further elaboration, let us take a look at the examples below.

Ex.1: Metaknight is a homosexual.
Wrong!

Ex.2: Metaknight is a sexual minority.
Wrong!

Ex.3: Metaknight prefers other knights rather than maidens.
Wrong!

Ex.4: Metaknight is gay.
Correct!

You see, the meaning in Ex. 4 is completely different from Ex.s 1-3, and does not refer to Metaknight's sexual preferences.

Loyde

Smash Cadet
"Gay" as an insult isn't a homosexual joke. It's slang originating from the homosexual term, just as the homosexual term once originated from "jolly good times" and has since taken on a totally different meaning. Slang like this happens a lot (see lame and ****) and if you're going to get upset over an insult over the word's origins, you're going to be a mighty unhappy fellow most of the time.

Wrong!

Wrong!

Wrong!

Correct!

You see, the meaning in Ex. 4 is completely different from Ex.s 1-3, and does not refer to Metaknight's sexual preferences.
LOL, you should teach english or write a dictionary with smash references.

slacker!

Smash Journeyman

Wrong!

Wrong!

Wrong!

Correct!

oh my god

yes.

Dark_Meow1

Smash Ace
Is there a UTD tourney, or just a festivity around? It'd be cool to do some Brawl Brackets or something. Me and some peeps should show up with a cube if you need. Possibly a TV if needed to ^.^

DoH

meleeitonme.tumblr.com
But the problem with using gay in that sense is that it codifies gay as being something negative simply by one's diction.

I just say things are asian.

I'm not sure I'm going to the UTD fest. wobbles is going to asiankon, so my point of doubles practice is slightly defeated.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
ATTN: Hylian

Those matches we played were awesome. I want more.
Uhhh :).

A-kon results:

1st: Wobbles (Metaknight)
2nd: Melee1 (ICs)
3rd: Hylian(ICs/GW)
4th: Dr Drew.(Marth/Snake)

Single elim FTL. Wobbles(metaknight) is too good.

Infinitysmash

Smash Champion
Single elim FTL. Wobbles(metaknight) is too good.
Yes, single elim for the lose sir.

However, round 2 was probably the closest match I've ever had with Wobbles. I love the thrill of fights that are so close that the next person that gets hit loses. As weird as it sounds I learned a LOT from that match and I'm definitely applying it at the next tournament.

I have a feeling this tournament was pretty groundbreaking for the Dallas community. Expect changes guys.

In related news, I just realized that I don't actually have a hangover. I'm still drunk. WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!

Wobbles

Desert ******
BRoomer
Yay, I'm too good.

Single elim is a lame, lame creature that, had I the power, I would hunt to extinction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom