• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dallas/Fort Worth! - www.twitch.tv/tourneylocator at 7pm on Thursdays

AeroLink_the_SoulMaster

Let's rock, baby!
I'm so glad someone else agrees with me that one tournament where a few Japanese players came and did well DOESN'T mean that they are completely dominant. We've had Japan come over to previous events. We've had Brood win at our tournament before too, but we've also had Rain and several other Japanese players come over and not place that high. Why is it assumed that Japan >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> USA? It's like some people here just decided to accept Japan as their superior overlords instead of being inspired to ever get better again.

They are good, but let's not assume that they're collectively better or worse than us.

EDIT: Ok, maybe that was a little much. I'm not trying to sound like I'm ganging up on Swaka, I just don't understand all these players that are saying that Japan is so god like now at Smash Bros after one tournament, when these same players never thought highly of Japan's skills before.

@ALSM: Who did you lose to in tournament?
I lost to FK (I'll definitely get you next time) in winners, then lost to Typ Ex (Falco is hard) in losers.

I guess one positive I can take from DMT is winning doubles with Denti. :)

:phone:

NeoBatou

Smash Ace
As far as the diddy comment I'm not assuming that they are better, all I'm just saying is that they will probably notice some thing different about the character quicker than us cause were to busy focused on winning/money and not really focusing on skill development. I can see why they download us and have a comeback factor, they play differently.
The drive to win is not the cause of concern. If money helps you play better, so be it.
The act of playing differently revolves around many issues. Let's not bash the fact that wanting to win some money is a negative trait for wanting to play better. Sometimes it helps.....

Oh and by the way AeroLink, FK can be just as much of a threat as TypeEX can be, if not greater at some points. I wouldn't count out FK, he's a strong competitor and he's really calm and composed when he plays.

If there is one thing I admire about FK is...

Sometimes it's the fact that he rarely let's his emotions dictate his actions. The voice of reason and cooler heads usually prevails, even at the peak of adversity, thus makes him a strong competitor when he really tries.

DiSQO_BuNNY

Smash Lord
NNID
DisqoBunny
Voice of reason isn't always good. A calm head, isn't always good. It ****in helps alot xD but that doesn't mean that a zen mindset and logical thinking will get the job done EVERY SINGLE MATCH OF YOUR LIIIIIIFE. That's a touchy topic though, and it really requires an in person explanation sooooooooooooooo eff that.

ANYWAYS: Japanese players. They won apex. They went back home. End of story. Nxt turny plz.

@ALSM: Falco isn't hard.....don't get grabbed. And if you do, learn to recover, without getting hit out of thy barrels. And then force flaco off stage and clip his wings. Honestly, he will NEVER firebird if he doesn't have to. It's a free spike. Ggs feather brain. Predict the side b landing. Hug the ledge or freakin punish the onstage landing or fair him when he gets even with the ledge/close to the stage. Geegees typ. Thanks for the ten bucks.

AeroLink_the_SoulMaster

Let's rock, baby!
Well, the way I feel about fighting against Falco is that you have to stay on your toes, especially when he's edgeguarding you. Sakurai help you if the Falco player is really profficient with using your naners against you. Yes, Diddy can do things to effectively edgeguard Falco, but I'm just saying it can go both ways. I think that MU is slightly in Falco's favor. Upclose, Falco definitely has the advantage at least.

Also, about the Japanese top players; they have clearly shown that they are significantly better than our top players here. And yes, one extremely legit international tournament is enough to make a judgement. Maybe Japan is not overall better (I certaintly feel that way), but Japan's top players are better than America's top players. I think it might not have been that way before, but now that seems to be the case.

DiSQO_BuNNY

Smash Lord
NNID
DisqoBunny
Well, the way I feel about fighting against Falco is that you have to stay on your toes, especially when he's edgeguarding you. Sakurai help you if the Falco player is really profficient with using your naners against you. Yes, Diddy can do things to effectively edgeguard Falco, but I'm just saying it can go both ways. I think that MU is slightly in Falco's favor. Upclose, Falco definitely has the advantage at least.

Also, about the Japanese top players; they have clearly shown that they are significantly better than our top players here. And yes, one extremely legit international tournament is enough to make a judgement. Maybe Japan is not overall better (I certaintly feel that way), but Japan's top players are better than America's top players. I think it might not have been that way before, but now that seems to be the case.

You're crazy. This MU is NOT in falcos favor. You should always stay at mid range. Falco edgegaurding shouldn't be a problem because you have a lot of options on how to recover and falcos edge guarding options usually put him in a bad position: offstage. He has a limited recovery. And even when he recovers, it resets the situation.

AeroLink_the_SoulMaster

Let's rock, baby!
Well then, I have much to learn in that MU. I'm sure it's just me not knowing the MU that well. Now that I think about it, one thing I'm not exploiting enough is intercepting Falco's sideb. I'mma work on that.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
They're talking about adding an air time to the Unity ruleset, as well as a 10 min timer. XD bassem Is probably going to have to learn a new strategy.

what the hell is this i dont even.

Just when I was picking up Wario too :V

Denti

Smash Master
We're the only country that doesn't have an air time. I heard that we didn't even create the idea for a LGL, the other countries did. I remember people thought the idea of an LGL was dumb and would ruin the game. Some people still think that. But in reality you only break the LGL if you're hard planking. Same goes for the air time. You only break it if you're asking for it.

DiSQO_BuNNY

Smash Lord
NNID
DisqoBunny
We're the only country that doesn't have an air time. I heard that we didn't even create the idea for a LGL, the other countries did. I remember people thought the idea of an LGL was dumb and would ruin the game. Some people still think that. But in reality you only break the LGL if you're hard planking. Same goes for the air time. You only break it if you're asking for it.
I'm indifferent. I don't get timed out by warios.

F-Tier Player

Smash Ace
Sometimes it's the fact that he rarely let's his emotions dictate his actions. The voice of reason and cooler heads usually prevails, even at the peak of adversity, thus makes him a strong competitor when he really tries.

Keeping one's composure really is the key to victory

F-Tier Player

Smash Ace
Batou was giving me a life lesson, but I was eating so I didn't catch everything :p He said attitude means everything. It's how you react in extreme circumstances that reveals true character. Brawl is a game of chess, imagine your queen representing mental stability, you lose it and you've lost one of your strongest pieces in the set.

Zane the pure

Smash Ace
SO! Batou you mad genious you.
I had some friends over recently to play some smash. Naturally after we warmed up on singles we proceeded to doubles. Well, ya'know that strategy you talked about at Dentifest with Lucario? It works, good lord it works something powerful. I SD twice and go on a roaring rampage of destruction, the match is over in under two minutes.

FK1

Smash Journeyman
I don't remember who said it...but when I woke up this morning the first thought I had was, "I always thought MVD was Nick Riddle's girlfriend."

AeroLink_the_SoulMaster

Let's rock, baby!
As whack as it may sound, it's how I feel.

So I realized Link is the only character I have mained for at least a year (mained him for 3 years); hell, he's the only character I mained for at least 6 months. MK was getting close to that (until the ban of course), and Toon Link was like a couple months before I said screw it, I'm going Meta Knight, lol. My Diddy Kong development is barely hitting 3 months. I should have picked a viable character from the start, but of course Brawl being my first game I ever played competitively and then combining my Zelda fanboyism, I was going to pick Link no matter how good or bad he was as a character in this game.

I'm already hyped for the next Super Smash Bros. game.

NeoBatou

Smash Ace
As whack as it may sound, it's how I feel.

So I realized Link is the only character I have mained for at least a year (mained him for 3 years); hell, he's the only character I mained for at least 6 months. MK was getting close to that (until the ban of course), and Toon Link was like a couple months before I said screw it, I'm going Meta Knight, lol. My Diddy Kong development is barely hitting 3 months. I should have picked a viable character from the start, but of course Brawl being my first game I ever played competitively and then combining my Zelda fanboyism, I was going to pick Link no matter how good or bad he was as a character in this game.

I'm already hyped for the next Super Smash Bros. game.

LOL We're just joshing you.

Well hey regardless of how great our favorite character is going to be, we were destined to play that said character, low tier or not.

I just hope the new smash game doesn't SMASH our pockets with new technology.

DiSQO_BuNNY

Smash Lord
NNID
DisqoBunny
Alright. I'm quitting this game. I'll be happy to hang and play with you guys. But I'm not playing competitively anymore. It was fun while it lasted though.
Thanks to batou, denti, and infinity for laughing it out with me.
Xeven for his wild shenanigans.
ALSM for picking me up like every time.
Problemo for all the random yugioh talks that I still only half understand.
Fk for bein fk. Cuz he's fk.
Brett for more laughs.
Swaka gucci pony and k bot for bein black.
Neon for saving Africa countless times.
And all the other players I haven't touched on.
It was cool.

Shoutouts to will for bein awesome. Love ya sea bass xD

knuckles213

Smash Ace
Alright. I'm quitting this game. I'll be happy to hang and play with you guys. But I'm not playing competitively anymore. It was fun while it lasted though.
Thanks to batou, denti, and infinity for laughing it out with me.
Xeven for his wild shenanigans.
ALSM for picking me up like every time.
Problemo for all the random yugioh talks that I still only half understand.
Fk for bein fk. Cuz he's fk.
Brett for more laughs.
Swaka gucci pony and k bot for bein black.
Neon for saving Africa countless times.
And all the other players I haven't touched on.
It was cool.

Shoutouts to will for bein awesome. Love ya sea bass xD
what!! your gonna quit (and especially on my Birthday), Damnnn.

what wizardry could of cause such a deed.

Top Bottom