• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

CT ZeRo's Coaching Program

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
Hey, I followed all the social media thingos under the name "MasonSpangler"/"Mason Spangler"

Who do you main?
Jigglypuff.

Where are you from?
Australia.

In what areas do you want to improve on?
In my experience, improving at Smash isn't a matter of being told specific factoids, but rather being exposed to a lot of information and different view points. Whenever I've improved at Smash it has been an epiphany brought about just by looking at something a little differently - sometimes this is because someone says to me "Do this instead.", sometimes it's because of the brand of cereal I choose in the morning. The area I'd like to improve on is a general understanding of the game and competition, experience.

Any questions you'd like answered?
I would be very appreciative if you watch the videos I link below, and if you have any thoughts that you believe I won't have heard before, or you think you can explain something to me in a way that will let it sink in; please share your wisdom :) Any help would be appreciated, no matter how brief and frank.

Recent videos?
Grim Tuesday (Jigglypuff) vs. Batmans (Toon Link)
Grim Tuesday (Jigglypuff) vs. Jamage (ROB/King Dedede)
Grim Tuesday (Jigglypuff) vs. Allens (Falco)
Grim Tuesday (Jigglypuff) vs. Nikes (Yoshi)
Grim Tuesday (Jigglypuff) vs. Ant (Wolf)
Grim Tuesday (Jigglypuff) vs. Batmans (Marth)

Respond to any that you want to.

I don't like playing on the ladder because i have a fear of losing to players much worse than me due to lag. How can I get rid of this fear?
Understand that pride doesn't exist until you are good at the game. It doesn't matter if you lose to people worse than you, it means absolutely nothing.

Theledin

Smash Rookie
Ok hey ZerO, came over from my threat and followed you/clashtournaments with following ID's.

Twitch: Theledin
YouTube: G0ToSl33p

Who do you main?
Zero Suit Samus
Where are you from?

Germany

ZSS vs Wolf matchup in general
Need help with training efficiently, coming from EU and being new to the scene leaves me in the dark. So far only read theory and practiced against KI and a decent friend who will also be my opponent (so I would rather not prac him, since he will get better as well)
Recent videos?

None as of yet, can make some though.

Who do you main?
Toon Link

Where are you from?
Puerto Rico

I want to streamline my thought process while playing. I don't think I'm looking at the right reads, mix-ups, angles, etc. while playing, which makes countering my opponent's strategy inefficient. I want to be able to analyze any situation and very quickly identify the best counter, but in order to do that, I need to look at things from a different perspective.

What are some of the reads you make to win?
What do you do to stay consistent?
How do you avoid being put in a bad position? (in my case, on the ledge)
How do you regain momentum once you lose it?

Recent videos?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Je5PoYQ8ySA - I've improved a little bit since this replay, but it's still pretty similar to how I play now, so it's close enough.

~

My name on Twitch is TwinkieSWF, and on Youtube I'm ACTION PANDA. Thanks Zero!

FirestormNeos

Smash Lord
NNID
FirestormNeos
Who do you main?
Zero Suit Samus.
Where are you from?
Colorado.
Figuring out what I should work on, then work on that.
Right now, all I know is "space well, my friend."
Recent videos?
Don't have anything to record matches with.

TreK

Is "that guy"
Hey, just wanted to know, do you only take youtube vids, or do you also take replay files ?
I'll probably semd you a video at the end of this month. Nice work so far man !

TSM ZeRo

Banned via Administration
Hey, just wanted to know, do you only take youtube vids, or do you also take replay files ?
I'll probably semd you a video at the end of this month. Nice work so far man !
I prefer videos, since its way easier for me to get to them. Replay files are annoying but -accepted-.

TreK

Is "that guy"
Fair enough, I'll try to have my replays uploaded one way or another. It might be a good occasion to force my peeps to teach me how to Dolphin.

D

Deleted member

Hey ZeRo, can you post the coaching video on youtube or send me a link to the broadcast?
I cant find the video, but I know you did it since I saw part of it only once. I want to watch it again so I can practice more.
Thanks!

TSM ZeRo

No it didn't die, I just haven't had the time to finalize the critiques. It also doesn't help that I did 6 critiques and they didn't get saved on Twitch >_> - Currently, I am waiting for school to end (Mid July) and then for me to travel to the US (Same period of time) to proceed doing my critiques. I haven't forgot about this at all!

CaptainMango11

Smash Rookie
Hi ZeRo I subbed and followed under the name "thaepicjolteon" to your social media.
now for coaching...
Who do you main?
Toon Link
Where are you from?
New Jersey
well I have trouble putting what I know to use. For example I'll work on a move in training and in a match I can't do it. I also panic/ freeze up in a match and simply don't know what to do. I've lost about 20 straight sets on the AiB ladder and even when it comes down to last stock I just can't win.
1)Is Toon Link a bad character for a main even though I get 3 stocked when I play as anyone else?
2) Is wifi AiB laddering the best way to get better?
3) what should be my main priority in a match like what do I look for in my opponent and how can I scout these things out?
4) (last one lol) Does reaction time just improve with playing matches? (on wifi for me mostly)
Recent videos?

honestly I don't know how to get them on youtube, If you could tell me how or direct me to somewhere to learn by all means because some of what I said is vague and might need to be seen in replay.

very sorry about the long list of problems. I might have gotten carried away but I really am desperate at this point.

TSM ZeRo

Yes, it is still going. I actually just helped out two people.

It's just that I'm waiting for ORI_BRO (namesearch) finish my layouts so I can upload the sessions on my YouTube.

ORI PLS.

Double Helix

Smash Journeyman
So I followed under the name double_helix_2569 on twitch. I don't really youtube that much honestly.

Who do you main?
I guess I main Ness. I don't think I could switch.
Where are you from?
I am from Southern Illinois. Mt. Vernon to be precise.
I am basically wondering how to make the transition from Melee to Brawl. I picked up Melee a year ago (competitively) and love it. I just figure if I play Brawl it could help my Melee game. Plus I love Smash enough to play both.
Recent videos?
No videos. Melee or Brawl. It really is saddening.

SilverAlloy

Smash Rookie
Who do you main? Pikachu and Ice Climbers
Where are you from? Massachusetts
In what areas do you want to improve on? Consistency with tech skill, better decision making in tournaments outside matches(ex:who to go, what to cp,etc.), and better decision making in-game(what to punish with, what I'll use to punish x attack, etc.)
Any questions you'd like answered? Nothing that isn't MU specific
Recent videos? This is all that I have that isn't months old. (Match starts around 02:39:50). Tbh I'm not too proud of that performance, but it's all I have atm :x

Heru

Smash Cadet
NNID
Herufin
Who do you main? Meta Knight
Where are you from? Finland
In what areas do you want to improve on? Approaching. My playstyle is usually really campy and because of that I'm having trouble in matchups where I have to approach.
Any questions you'd like answered? How to deal with tournament nerves? I'm really nervous when I play against top players and it makes me to play more defensive and scared.
Recent videos?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z52_z_AFmZY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_676V86z1k
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XckF6kuOR1w
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_BJHWg12ms

Twitch: Herufin
Youtube: Heruiini
Thanks in advance!

sirchadakiss18

Smash Journeyman
Who do you main? Pikachu and Ice Climbers
Where are you from? Massachusetts
In what areas do you want to improve on? Consistency with tech skill, better decision making in tournaments outside matches(ex:who to go, what to cp,etc.), and better decision making in-game(what to punish with, what I'll use to punish x attack, etc.)
Any questions you'd like answered? Nothing that isn't MU specific
Recent videos? This is all that I have that isn't months old. (Match starts around 02:39:50). Tbh I'm not too proud of that performance, but it's all I have atm :x

Well speaking from Exp. and (as A Pika Main) when opponent is at 110-and up, Kill with U-tilt to thunder for quicker kills, it's much sneakier and faster. Also even if they don't die from it cause of proper DI, you have put them in a bad position for landing back on stage, use this opportunity for frame trap/juggling or another attempt for a kill. just my 2 cents Alloy.

TSM ZeRo

Twitch and Youtube: squirtlesquad28

Who do you main? Main: Diddy Secondary/Pocket: MK, King Dx3 I'm trying to build a good Marth
Where are you from? Cincinnati, Ohio, USA (i.e a dead brawl scene)
In what areas do you want to improve on? Defensive tactics, mostly spacing, and shielding
Any questions you'd like answered? What are tbe best ADHD/Gnes/ Player-1 videos to study from?
Recent videos? Will have up sometime soon
I PM'ed you.

TSM ZeRo

2.- Gamertag:LeNNoN
3.- Donde vives:Chile, La Serena
4.- Que personaje maineas:Falco, olimar wolf lucas ice climbers pit G&W lucario luigi peach zelda bowser charizard
5.- En que areas te gustaria mejora:r momentum cancelling DI SDI chain grab tecnicas avansadas
6.- Alguna consulta? nop
7.- Videos recientes? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NPZ-LUpsmE (LeNNoN VS Kirie)
http://youtu.be/EpeVd7kvFQ0?t=15s (LeNNoN VS Ztag)

I main MK/Puff
I live in TX(I live in Tyler and we have a small scene here but I play with Dallas alot(denti/infinity, notably)
I would like to improve on my habbit breaking and my adaptabiliy/download speed. It takes me roughly 3 months to figure out a player lmao
Who's the lowest/worst character you consider Tourney Viable?

Videos:
MK: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsBoqTka5ZYVs. Cosmo(pls help me with this MU)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=guAuWUwzHAYVs. Infinity(he's just a much better player than me but still lol)

Puff I guess: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQvUE4gvQsIVs. Rave

twitch name: TM_icecream
Youtube: Jared Frazier

I've already subbed to everything except your personal twitch until now lmao

TSM ZeRo

NOTE: If you guys don't have videos, simply send me 1 or 2 replays. I can easily view them through my Wii and record my coaching session with no problem at all.

So no excuses!

TM_icecream

Smash Ace
Thanks for the help!
The pika probably banned delfino, I don't remember. Otherwise I would have gone there just cause I'm comfortable there.
Idk why I picked ps2, that's the only pika I've played in tourney with mk so I have no clue about the mu :/

TSM ZeRo

Thanks for the help!
The pika probably banned delfino, I don't remember. Otherwise I would have gone there just cause I'm comfortable there.
Idk why I picked ps2, that's the only pika I've played in tourney with mk so I have no clue about the mu :/

I PM'ed you.

Psychoace

Smash Champion
Who do you main?
Mk/Falcon with a developing marth

Where are you from?
The manliest city in Texas

Spacing, conditioning, correcting mistakes mid-game, breaking my opponent down

I study through videos a lot, is there any advice you have for correctly watching a match/set so I can optimize my learning?
Could you also break some of my videos down to possibly see some things I'm not catching?

Recent videos?
mk/marth vs wario
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSM63DLfRwQ

mk/Falcon vs Wolf
http://www.twitch.tv/totes_magotes_live/c/2821587

mk dittos
http://www.twitch.tv/totes_magotes_live/c/2833178

Phan7om

ドリームランドの悪夢
Who Do I Main?
Kirby
Where am I from?
Nor Cal
Where do I want to Improve?
Spacing: I heard its best to know what character you face to stay a certain distance away so you cant be hit, just need help with it
Conditioning/Baiting: Im just bad at it
Reading: When will my opponents sheild,spotdodge,roll
Tech Timing: When do I press L,R, or Z. Also SDI teching ledges.
General Matchup Knowledge: What moves should I/ shouldn't I challenge.
Any questions I would like answered?
1. Why practice against a level 1 snake? (Instead of anyone else)
2. How do you punish someone who rolls too unpredictably?
Videos? (Wi-Fi)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QeStTCaq6vI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFtJLC0ANRU
Etc. Im a scrub at this game that just wants to get better lol.

D

Deleted member

Hey ZeRo, I wanted to get another critique on my toon link and wario this time. I'm subbed as DatZanTho on twitch, and Blackfirekhaos5173/Zan (youtube is stupid idk what shows up in subs)
Also, are you going to redo the videos that were lost in one of the broadcasts? I remember you did critique me before but twitch didnt save it so it wasnt uploaded and I cant find it.
Who do you main?
TL/Wario

Where are you from?
Los Angeles, California (SoCal)
Punishing/Baiting/Conditioning/Stage Control
Can you explain the wario vs mk mu?
Recent videos?
Wario
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkPr8XSi1xo
Toon Link
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k51jj3a8UGA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eff2jvgWi2k (went wario second match)

Aidebit

Smash Journeyman
Reposting this from AiB, with a new video this time. (Ignore the AiB one.)
Subscribed on Youtube as 'Chidorial'
Followed on Twitch as 'Goriface'
Who do you main?
I normally go Marth these days, with PT, Falco and MK on the side.
Where are you from?

Philippines, Dasmarinas
Spacing, recovering from chokes.
How do you deal with choking? How can you perform a comeback? How can you 'practice' or get better at spacing?
Recent videos?
I have one of my MK;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUJp2gBLwEo

Ralph Cecil

Smash Champion
NNID
RalphCecil
3DS FC
4098-4850-8033
I forgot about this. :D I think i've already follow the Twitch.tv pages, and Youtube accounts. I think my twitch account is Ralph_cecil and I don't fully remember what my Youtube account is, but I know it's some variation of Ralph Cecil lol.

Who do you main? Snake(Thinking about picking MK up too, but i'd rather just get good enough with Snake to not have to bother with it)
Where are you from? Kentucky/MW
In what areas do you want to improve on? How to deal with very aggressive pressure and possibly how to approach super campy/run away characters. I also have a bad habit of giving players more credit than I should(this problem actually happens more with lower level players than actual top players I play D: ). If you have any tips on how to appropriately decide in the middle of a match what kind of silly options my opponent(mid-low level player) might make I would much appreciate it. ^_^
Any questions you'd like answered? How should I go about getting better if my local tournament scene isn't very active, if I don't have any players locally to consistently practice with, and if my internet is really crappy a lot of the time?
Recent videos? None as of right now outside of wifi set, but I don't think that would be too great to post. I definitely plan on recording some soon though. ^_^

Hope I did all of that right. :D Also just let me know if I wasn't following something and i'll get right to that. I also hope this is still a thing too. D:

pichuthedk

Smash Lord
Who do you main?
Where are you from?
Recent videos?
The Sexy Zero Suit Samus

Toronto Ontario (I am the underdog zss of Ontario)

A few things the order hasn't been decided for what I'd want to prioritize working on but the following
- My close quarters combat abilities ( It seems like I get intimidated rather easily and try to stay at a certain range from most chars/players)
-My Suit piece game ( I had an idea to just play 150 games vs the different PRs in my region by starting first 50 with 1 item and then work my way up by 150)
-My tactical decision making ( I get to swept up in things I believe will work despite some results think if only I was faster/more prepared to react the way I wanted)
And lastly - Maintaining / Regaining momemtum ( I'm just talking about those troll sakurai's into a D3 dash attack true story I lost bracket to a D3 because of that at impulse last year [not the one that just passed] I accept that I don't make the right choices after killing or being killed but the first step is admittance right?)

I am guessing those are my main questions really I'm in no rush since leveling up your skills takes time and determination and possibly losing over 9000 stocks competitively lol

as for recent videos here's my youtube channel you can just pick some of the more recent ones

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheYahshua1234

*ninja edit I just thought of a question i'd like answered *
From your perspective as an MK what kind of things are you looking to exploit as an MK when your against ZSS including off stage gimping her or recovering back onstage your self?

Much appreciated thanks in advanced :D. <3
-Ryoko

TSM ZeRo

By the way, I'm still doing this, but normally play viewers in my stream -Serioust BO5 Streamed- (Follow www.twitch.tv/gonzalo_zero), critique on-stream (for everyone to listen to, check, ask) and then upload it to YouTube. I've done like 20+ sets this way and people love it!

So if you haven't gotten my help yet, consider that since its not only helpful for you, but for everyone else too! If wifi isn't your thing, let me know and I'll get on your post soon, I have about 10 people pending. Haven't forgotten about you guys!

Gardex

Smash Lord
NNID
Gardex
3DS FC
2707-1617-4394
I think a reason the offline method is preferred is because some of us have completely different playstyles offline and online.

Of course, this doesn't apply to me; I'm going to fsmash 5 times in a row no matter what.

BananaHotdog

Smash Rookie
Who do you main?
Where are you from?
Recent videos?

Just saying this right now, I have okay sentence structure, so I apologize if you can't understand some of my answers.

Diddy Kong and Jigglypuff, though I am kind of inconsistent with maintaining characters except for Diddy Kong and Jigglypuff, my two mainstays. I have dabbled in Lucario and Ice Climbers for a while, along with Captain Falcon, Wario, Fox, and Wolf.

NorCal.

I want to improve on a lot of stuff. I have a hard time watching my opponents movements and understanding what they are doing, like reading them and anticipating what will happen next. I also struggle to get kills on my opponents, and have some problems with playing passive or aggressive when need be. Another thing I feel that I need to improve on is where I should position myself in certain moments of the match.

I want to know if I should be trying to finding which two characters I want to main the most as soon as possible. For some reason, I'm not really able to get myself to stick to at least two characters for a long time and feel like that is withholding me and my progress. Should I stick to playing Diddy Kong and Jigglypuff, since I always come back to those two? Or should I be finding another character to fit that spot?
Another question I have is, how should I practice my techniques and my approaches since I don't get to play with lots of good players here in NorCal? I am in a club at my school that plays Brawl, but we end up playing free-for-alls almost all of the time and don't feel like I am getting better at the game since i don't get lots of 1v1s.

I don't have any videos since I don't have recording software, but just in case I am able to get anything up soon, my channel is GiantEnemySpycrab.

Edit: Also I just wanted to say that I just made this account on Smashboards right before making this post.

Tails21207

Smash Rookie
Hi ZeRo I hope you'll accept me as a student for I subbed to your youtube as Terryeon21207 and your twitch as Tails21207 as well. I'm.... decent? You've 3- stocked me before and I switched my main since then.... I have two and umm... I'll just shut up and answer the questions...
Who do you main? Toon Link and Pikachu :3
Where are you from? Maryland USA
In what areas do you want to improve on? Toon Link- spacing and winning Pikachu- punishing and winning haha
Any questions you'd like answered? Why does it feel impossible to punish MK unless he's in freefall?!?!??
Recent videos? No.. I'm sorry.... I'm lacking a capture card. I hope to have one by christmas...

I hope you don't mind coaching me..... THANK YOU ZeRo!!!!!!! 8)

Top Bottom