• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

CT ZeRo's Coaching Program

TSM ZeRo

Banned via Administration
Back on the business guys! Now with a new program that I'd like to introduce to you guys.
CT ZeRo's Coaching program!

You can ask me all you want, ask me to critique your videos, ask me to explain you concepts, match ups or characters. Anything related to the game, and I will use all my experience as a top player to help you out as much as I can. I will be essentially, your Smash coach. I love the community and I want to help it to grow. But this takes time especially since I do it with love, so speaking about grow right now I'm trying to grow as a Twitch TV broadcaster, a YouTuber and also help out Clashtournaments achieve new heights on the same media channels. But to do this, I need follows and subscribers. So I thought of a method that will achieve this grow while also helping out the people that do it (And we want to grow to reach out to more people and help them out with our content. Clashtournaments is a business dedicated to helping eSports as a whole grow, and this obviously includes our lovely Smash community. And I'm dedicated completely to helping our community grow in all aspects. Competitively, in numbers and positiveness. So essentially, you help us so we can help out more people (And you!) with our content and also provide better content too. So it's a win-win situation for the community 101%!

Now, this works out like this: You will follow in Twitch TV and YouTube the following channels:

STEP 1:
My channels:

Clashtournaments:

STEP2: You tell me the names that you've followed/subscribed with and I will then check for your name.

STEP3: Enjoy having me as your Smash coach!

It's as simple as that guys. Enjoy and spread the word and links around! (ESPECIALLY this thread).

As a general thing guys, once you've signed up and I've checked your name on the social media, fill a post with the following information:

Who do you main?
Where are you from?
In what areas do you want to improve on?
Any questions you'd like answered?
Recent videos?

Then we can go from there.

JOIN THE PROGRAM!

Illuvial

Exploring Tallon IV
NNID
Illuvial
3DS FC
1435-3676-0317
Switch FC
SW-1736-8649-2292
That is quite a lot of coaching you are gonna have to do, how do you plan on going about coaching?

Onett_zidi

Smash Rookie
I really would like to receive some tips from you, I am an Ice Climbers user and I think I need some MU tips and to improve my mindgames, here I post a video of a ditto that I had like a month ago and I hope you can analize it and help me with my strategies.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vo48z67AvlE

TSM ZeRo

That is quite a lot of coaching you are gonna have to do, how do you plan on going about coaching?
I will be available for them regarding anything about improvement or help. And I will also monitor their improvement and suggest them training methods, excercises (homework/!) and many other things as I get to know the student. It's a process, where I will make sure you get better.

I really would like to receive some tips from you, I am an Ice Climbers user and I think I need some MU tips and to improve my mindgames, here I post a video of a ditto that I had like a month ago and I hope you can analize it and help me with my strategies.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vo48z67AvlE
Did you follow the media I linked? What's your name on them?

Greetings.

Illuvial

Exploring Tallon IV
NNID
Illuvial
3DS FC
1435-3676-0317
Switch FC
SW-1736-8649-2292
Would you be willing to help a mid tier player like myself with Kirby? If so, sign me up! Also, nice grabbing guide on your channel.

MGSPhantom is what I have liked/subscribed to everything with.

TSM ZeRo

As a general thing guys, once you've signed up and I've checked your name on the social media, fill a post with the following information:

Who do you main?
Where are you from?
Recent videos?

Then we can go from there.

JOIN THE PROGRAM!

Illuvial

Exploring Tallon IV
NNID
Illuvial
3DS FC
1435-3676-0317
Switch FC
SW-1736-8649-2292
I just have to get some video footage of my Kirby now!

Main - Kirby

Where I am from - McHenry, Illinois (close to Chicago)

How do I wish to improve - I want to improve on being able to read and adapt to an opponents playstyle and bad habits

Any questions - This is more of a random question about Brawl as a community more than anything. But do you think that Brawl will still have a community after Smash 4 releases?

Onett_zidi

Smash Rookie
Main - Ice Climbers
Where I am Viña del Mar, Chile
How do I wish to improve - I want to be able of playing more intelligent so i can get the grab and I want to get more information about MU`s

BlueXenon

Smash Lord
NNID
Blueoceans26
3DS FC
3050-7832-9141
I subscribed to all four of them. I will pm you my names
Who do you main? Metaknight
Where are you from? Northeast
In what areas do you want to improve on? I want to learn SDI and neutral stance better.
Any questions you'd like answered? To become a high level player, how important is it to have good control over your character?

Kawaii Poyo

Smash Champion
I'd like to sign up for this and I'm already subbed to all 4 accounts.

YouTube: KirbysDreamLand3
Twitch: KawaiiPoyo

Who do you main?: Meta Knight/Kirby
Where are you from?: Maryland, USA
In what areas do you want to improve on?: My neutral game, getting out of juggle scenarios, making it back on stage, making hard reads, any match-up help (mostly Diddy, Falco and MK dittos)
Any questions you'd like answered?: Any that come to my head...? ^^;
Recent videos?: My most recent are from September so... Not really recent.

I hope I did it right! >_<

Erodote

Smash Rookie
Hey Zero ! I'm glad you decided to coach some people ! ^^

Who do you main? Metaknight
Where are you from? France
In what areas do you want to improve on? I don't have speficis areas I want to improve on at the moment, I'll think about it but I'm sure that I wanna erase my mistakes and just become better !
Any questions you'd like answered? Not yet
Recent videos? Wifi, unfortunatly : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_7_HlxJsS4

Roy Renard

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
5000-2716-4113
Alright, I subscribed already, Zero. My name on Twitch is RoyRenard, and on Youtube is Royren7.

Who do you main? Olimar and Marth, and I'm learning to use Meta Knight.
Where are you from? Mexico
In what areas do you want to improve on? Reflexes, spacing, applying pressure and follow-ups. I also tend to spot what my opponent is doing wrong, and can predict well whatever they are pretending to do, but I find it difficult to adequately punish them for it.
Any questions you'd like answered? How to punish someone who always tries spike you (particular characters: Ness and Diddy) when you are recovering? The friends I play with, always try to spike me when I'm recovering, and although they rarely nail it because they are so obvious, I find myself unable to make them be sorry for attempting such risky moves.
Recent videos? This is the only video I have... sorry for the bad quality. Also, the controller I was using was even worse than the one I'm using now, so I made many mistakes, couldn't perform Pikmin throws, grab combos and pivot grabs at specific moments and almost sd'd during the last set. Also, these sets were part of a crew battle, which explains the beginning of the second set. My first opponent is a Melee player, and the second is learning to use Diddy. I am YOLO, by the way.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ny0pQ4zw8as&feature=youtu.be

TSM ZeRo

Thank you all for the interest!

Now, to make things more interesting and provide better teaching lessons, I will be streaming myself critiquing the matches with audio commentary. This way I can express myself better and you guys get a better experience.

So, the first person that contacted me (through FB) in this case has his video already up in youtube!

It's in Spanish, though. I will be making these videos based on the language that the student speaks. I have no problems with doing these on Spanish or English. The video is 1 hour long, so you can see how much effort I put into them

Here's the link! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BbMxBaHEEQ

Tommorow I will be streaming as much as I can replying to everyone and doing the video critiques, stay tuned! Everyone will get their turn based on order!

MrZero

Smash Cadet
Marth
Woodstock, GA, US
All around. I think I'm fairly well rounded, but I come up short in most areas when it comes to tourneys
Why does my location matter?
I don't have any videos, save some from Brawl Minus which aren't really worth much, but I could probably get some up within... soon. A couple weeks at most.

I've subscribed to Clashtournaments on YouTube already, but I can't subscribe to you at the moment. I swear I will when I get home. Username is noahk30188

TSM ZeRo

I just have to get some video footage of my Kirby now!

Main - Kirby

Where I am from - McHenry, Illinois (close to Chicago)

How do I wish to improve - I want to improve on being able to read and adapt to an opponents playstyle and bad habits

Any questions - This is more of a random question about Brawl as a community more than anything. But do you think that Brawl will still have a community after Smash 4 releases?
Awesome!

Ok so, first of all let's define what reading and adapting are:

Reading: Taking an educated guess of what your opponent is going to do next.
Adapting: Changing the timing or selection of your attacks based on what your opponent is doing.

Now onto the tips!

Reading:

A) Reading is inconsistent since the human mind can be chaotic and nonsensical at times, so this makes 'reading' very unreliable in tournament play. So what I suggest is that you don't rely on reading to win games but relying on covering options works out great. Covering options is picking certain options so it doesn't matter what your opponent does, you'll still come out on top. For a detailed guide on covering options check out CT Mew2King's guide: http://clashtournaments.com/?p=669
B) Analyze their options. What can my opponent do in this situation? How many options does he have? What is most likely to happen next based on the current situation? All of this helps you to minimize the possible outcomes for their next action and have a much more educated prediction.

Adapting:

A) Find what is your opponent exactly doing that's working so well. Is it the way he's doing X move? Grabs? Shield? Landing? Proyectiles? What of my actions provoke him doing said action/s? You need information to adapt!

Example: Everytime I shield my opponent grabs me.

B) What of the actions I can do completely counters his option? Grabbing in X situation instead of attacking? Shielding here? Or?

Example: I can grab him before he tries to grab me, or decide to attack instead of shielding.

C) Set up new strategy:

Example: Everytime I run at my opponent I'm going attack him instead of shielding because he likes to grab me!

The catch is that you have to do this within seconds in a match at top level to use it correctly. This is why being good is so hard. It requires a lot of knowledge.

I'd like to sign up for this and I'm already subbed to all 4 accounts.

YouTube: KirbysDreamLand3
Twitch: KawaiiPoyo

Who do you main?: Meta Knight/Kirby
Where are you from?: Maryland, USA
In what areas do you want to improve on?: My neutral game, getting out of juggle scenarios, making it back on stage, making hard reads, any match-up help (mostly Diddy, Falco and MK dittos)
Any questions you'd like answered?: Any that come to my head...? ^^;
Recent videos?: My most recent are from September so... Not really recent.

I hope I did it right! >_<
Tips:

Neutral game: Analyze what options their CHARACTER relies on to get inside you and find out what you can do to precisely stop said actions. Example: Snake: Dash attack/Run and shield. F-Air to prevent dash attacks and dash grab for when he runs at you. MK: F-Tilt, dash attack, dash grab. Shield F-Tilt/Dash attack, and walk back F-Tilt dash grab.

Getting out of juggle scenarios: Analyze what they rely on to keep you in the air and find out what you can do to precisely stop said action/s. Example: mk: U-Air traps, immediate shuttle loops. Bait an U-Air, jump and fast fall with a down air, or trade with the U-Air with your down air. Immediately air dodge the shuttle loop.

Making it back to the stage: MK is extremely hard to punish if you glide super low, and then reach the ledge by jumping and doing U-Airs. Add this up with Down B/UPb as you need, and you're pretty much set. Watch the way I recover in dittos!

Hard reads: To do a hard read you need to know exactly what they're going to do, and then perform the heaviest punish you can do in that situation. Check out the tips I gave out above about reading! They're the key points behind making reads in general.

Diddy: Pressure him and force him to play without bananas. Dash grabbing, tornado in general (especially when he has no banana) and understanding his F-Air are all key points to win the MU. Video:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKN6W_XI0NQ Watch how I pressure ADHD, gimp him and prevent bananas from hitting me. The key is to always back out after using tornado, and land near the edge, so if he gets you with a banana it will only knock you off the stage (no follow up). Dash grab is awesome by the way! I can't stress this enough. GSL'ing, F-Smashing near the edge to cover Diddy's options is VERY important. If you shield a banana and then SH Tornado it beats out his grounded options after throwing the banana. SH Tornado above bananas is also very important.

Falco: I play this MU differently. I walk powershielding lasers, while doing F-Air backwards, as I PS another laser and then rinse and repeat. This gets me stage control and defends me from dash attack and dash grab, the only 2 ways Falco can approach (If I space F-Air correctly he can't dash grab me OOS). This forces him to side B into me, since he'll be cornered. And that's when I do ocassional N-Airs out of shield to beat those, or auto cancelled F-Airs (Land with the F-Air as the animation ends) to beat Side B if it comes, or have time to shield it. This strat works WONDERFULLY and has served me very well.You can see it in action in my set vs DEHF: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZxcvsZ0gGw And NEXUS: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcNgWjC0enQ

MK Ditto: This one is all about knowing when to shield, punish correctly OOS and when to go for F-Tilts. Shield the tilts and proceed to punish, never miss your punishes, so you need to know frame data and have great tech skill. And F-Tilt whenever MK isn't shielding. These are the key points. A good demonstration of the MU can be seen here in this match of me vs Otori: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQ7EOhIrOoc

Hey Zero ! I'm glad you decided to coach some people ! ^^
Who do you main?Metaknight
Where are you from? France
In what areas do you want to improve on? I don't have speficis areas I want to improve on at the moment, I'll think about it but I'm sure that I wanna erase my mistakes and just become better !
Any questions you'd like answered? Not yet
Recent videos? Wifi, unfortunatly : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_7_HlxJsS4
Here's a video of me with audio commentary criticizing your match: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIBwfaf8OV8

@Onett
@Renard

Stream con audio comentario de sus partidas hoy en la tarde! Luego lo subire a youtube :D. Paciencia!

TSM ZeRo

Marth
Woodstock, GA, US
All around. I think I'm fairly well rounded, but I come up short in most areas when it comes to tourneys
I don't have any videos, save some from Brawl Minus which aren't really worth much, but I could probably get some up within... soon. A couple weeks at most.

I've subscribed to Clashtournaments on YouTube already, but I can't subscribe to you at the moment. I swear I will when I get home. Username is noahk30188
KK, sweet. I can hook you up with general tips. Let me know when you finish subbing!

TSM ZeRo

I subbed to your YouTube channel; I have no Twitch account though. Is it required for you to help me not suck?
It is needed. Everyone who I've helped has followed all the steps and if they lack an account they make it and follow regardless.

I apologize if its troublesome for you :(

AlanHaTe

Smash Ace
I posted this morning on the thread @ the MK boards. But just in case, I'll post here too to subscribe the thread.

Just watched the first and second Coaching Sessions and I really like what you're doing and how you're doing it!

Awesome job man :D

ohh, so this is back D:

I was already subscribed to all of those lol, just look for AlanHaTe and alanhatedrummer on youtube :p

I just noticed your avi was one of my profile pics lol

Well, I'll post this here and hopefully get it critiqued and some advice for my playstyle in general.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVPbfc8NdG4

And also I've noticed I really have lots of problems with approaches in general, specially against characters with projectiles and IC's... I have a hard time doing so, what can I do to improve that?

MrZero

Smash Cadet
It's not, it's just that I don't really have anything that can handle livestreaming, so having one would just be a bit pointless until I can get a better computer (no idea when that would be).

Made an account, name is LawZero. Is Follow the same as Subscribe?

Zero sure is the greatest number.

Ever.

TSM ZeRo

It's not, it's just that I don't really have anything that can handle livestreaming, so having one would just be a bit pointless until I can get a better computer (no idea when that would be).

Made an account, name is LawZero. Is Follow the same as Subscribe?

Zero sure is the greatest number.

Ever.
Following isn't the same as subscribing, but it's what you should be doing. So hit that follow button! It won't be pointless, you'll be supporting the Smash scene :)

I posted this morning on the thread @ the MK boards. But just in case, I'll post here too to subscribe the thread.

Just watched the first and second Coaching Sessions and I really like what you're doing and how you're doing it!

Thank you very much! I saw your post. Don't worry, I'll get to you soon!

ZtaG

Smash Rookie
NNID
ZtaGDx
Hi Zero, Im now following the required channels, ZtaG7 on twitch, DarknessFalco on Youtube.

Main - Ice Climbers

Im from La Serena, Chile

In what areas do you want to improve on: I want learn more of my character, general tips, ways to get good grabs, how to read my oponent, and i think that's all

Questions?... which is the best way to approach Snake and Rob, my worst match ups.

Unfortunately, my videos are online matches, but that videos represent my game against that chars.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKeVWWNtDms that video is against a Rob

and this is against a Snake http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4v6tPTJkyA

Wusi

Smash Cadet
Who do you main? Fox
Where are you from? Germany
In what areas do you want to improve on? I want to know if I left some things unpunished, if there is room for me to punish some annoying things of MK at all (fair/dtilt wall, etc) and if there are other options that might be better to choose from
Any questions you'd like answered? nono
Recent videos? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_eVAONm73Q

oh, my YT is Wusi Alder and my twitch is Enemysnack

TSM ZeRo

Alright, I subscribed already, Zero. My name on Twitch is RoyRenard, and on Youtube is Royren7.

Who do you main? Olimar and Marth, and I'm learning to use Meta Knight.
Where are you from? Mexico
In what areas do you want to improve on? Reflexes, spacing, applying pressure and follow-ups. I also tend to spot what my opponent is doing wrong, and can predict well whatever they are pretending to do, but I find it difficult to adequately punish them for it.
Any questions you'd like answered? How to punish someone who always tries spike you (particular characters: Ness and Diddy) when you are recovering? The friends I play with, always try to spike me when I'm recovering, and although they rarely nail it because they are so obvious, I find myself unable to make them be sorry for attempting such risky moves.
Recent videos? This is the only video I have... sorry for the bad quality. Also, the controller I was using was even worse than the one I'm using now, so I made many mistakes, couldn't perform Pikmin throws, grab combos and pivot grabs at specific moments and almost sd'd during the last set. Also, these sets were part of a crew battle, which explains the beginning of the second set. My first opponent is a Melee player, and the second is learning to use Diddy. I am YOLO, by the way.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ny0pQ4zw8as&feature=youtu.be
Tips:

Reflejos: Tiene que ver con conocer las situaciones en el juego. Como dije en el stream, saber de las situaciones te permite prepararte de ante mano de ellas. Yo no tengo los mejores reflejos, pero entreno mucho y se mucho, por tanto siempre se lo que pasara y lo estoy pensando de antes y me preparo. Por ende te recomendaria estudiar mas las situaciones y demases para poder compensar por tu tiempo de reaccion. La preparacion es clave!

Spacing: Tiene que ver con pegarle al oponente sin que el mismo te pege. Como mencione en el stream, debes conocer la Neutral Stance. Entender con que tu oponente puede entrar a tu rango y preparar ataques para mantener distancia de los mismos y aplicar presion. El ejemplo de MK: Si mi oponente hace F-Tilts y Dash attacks para entrar, que puedo hacer yo para spacear esto? F-Airs para defenderme y vencer los dash attacks y hacer escudo para vencer los tilts.

Pressure: Hay 2 tipos de presion, la de escudos y zonas. La de escudos significa golpear el escudo de formas en que tu oponente no pueda contra atacarte, pero a la vez baje su escudo (o le peges en mejores resultados). Las plataformas, ataques multiples y ataques poderosos o de largo rango sirven mucho para presionar. Esto lo mezclas con agarre para condicionarlos y vencer los juegos defensivos. La de zonas es un concepto. En Smash debes tener control del escenario para poder ganar, por ende si arrinconas a tu oponente les ganas. Es como el boxeo, el que esta arrinconado tiene sus opciones limitadas. El solo hecho de caminar hacia tu oponente creara reacciones ya sean agresivas o defensivas, y ahi es donde debes capitalizar dependiendo si te da espacio o no. Siempre aprovecha si tienes stage control, especialmente cuando vienen aterrizando. Prioriza y aprovecha el espacio! Es clave para ganar de forma consistente.

Follow ups: Tiene que ver con conocimiento bruto del juego y ejecuccion. La idea es saber que ataques tuyos linkean con otros para crear ventajas para ti, contra que personajes sirven y que opciones o rutas puedes tomar para llegar a estos follow ups. Esto se obtiene a medida de experiencia e informacion, te recomendaria ver videos de Dabuz, ya que opino que es de los mejores en follow ups. Ve que hace en sus follow up! Son geniales.

Castigar patrones: Una vez identificado el patron, debes saber cuanto es la ventana de tiempo que tienes para reaccionar (para planear tu ataque) y ademas que provoka que se haga tal accion (Que hago yo que haga que mi oponente haga este patron) una vez teniendo ambos factores claros seras capaz de castigar siempre estos patrones, independiente de como sean. Esta es una de las mecanicas de jugar MK dittos, por ejemplo, y la puedes ver en mis videos vs M2K, Otori, Nairo, etc.

El tema de los spikes es muy particular, pero tiene que ver mucho con lo de arriba. Principalmente, analiza el tiempo que tienes para castigar. En caso de que sea poco... simplemente pegales con lo que puedas, o deja que pase. En esencia eres Olimar y no deberias jugar mucho afuera. Aunque recuerda que el U-Air de Olimar es super poderoso y usualmente le gana a casi todo, defenderte de estos spikes con este movimiento es una muy buena idea y tambien contra atacas al mismo tiempo.

En esencia, practica los tiempos de las cosas. El timing. Eso te falta. Los reflejos no son obligatorios para ser bueno en Smash, ayudan mucho y acortan las cosas... pero se puede lograr efectos similares con conocimiento.

Done. Now how do I help you help me?
Fill out this form and I'll get back to you ASAP!

Who do you main?
Where are you from?
Recent videos?

MrZero

Smash Cadet
Fill out this form and I'll get back to you ASAP!

Who do you main?
Where are you from?
Recent videos?
Already did that.

Marth
Woodstock, GA, US

MEOW1337KITTEH

Smash Lord
NNID
daniel7001
Hello! I subscribed to everything with the same name is this, MEOW1337KITTEH.
I am a Mr. Game and Watch main, with R.O.B. as a secondary from Phoenix, Arizona.
The area that I find the most trouble with is consistency, mostly due to a lack of being able to keep a lead and/or land a kill move (often making me fish hopelessly)
I can't think of any specific questions as of now, but I will have many to come in the future!
Here are all the most recent videos that I have, the first one (vs. Falco) is tournament, the others are friendlies that were played the same day (in a more serious matter):

GOofyGV

Smash Lord
I suscribed to the yt channels and I followed the twitch channels :)
Who do you main? Meta Knight
Where are you from? Netherlands
In what areas do you want to improve on? I want to become a better player in general and basics and I want to improve in some mu's I don't understand well. like ZSS, Pikachu and Olimar
Any questions you'd like answered? Does the coaching only work though this thread?
Recent videos? Soon I will have a recent one

TSM ZeRo

General note guys! Tommorow I'll be doing a long stream covering all the videos I've gotten! Doing them in order, so be patient until I get to you!

Hi Zero, Im now following the required channels, ZtaG7 on twitch, DarknessFalco on Youtube.

Main - Ice Climbers

Im from La Serena, Chile

In what areas do you want to improve on: I want learn more of my character, general tips, ways to get good grabs, how to read my oponent, and i think that's all

Questions?... which is the best way to approach Snake and Rob, my worst match ups.

Unfortunately, my videos are online matches, but that videos represent my game against that chars.

Entendido. Entiendo perfectamente como ayudarte, y te explicare de forma propia una vez vea tu video! Te pido paciencia hasta manana de momento, eres el siguiente en la lista!

Gracias por el apoyo! Despues de Ztag, viene tu turno ;), Estate pendiente del stream de manana!

Who do you main? Fox
In what areas do you want to improve on? I want to know if I left some things unpunished, if there is room for me to punish some annoying things of MK at all (fair/dtilt wall, etc) and if there are other options that might be better to choose from

So you just want the video critique for now, correct? You're third in the list, so make sure to watch your video critique tommorow!

Already did that.

Marth
Woodstock, GA, US
Understood! So, since I don't have anywhere to see where you stand at, I'll give you some general improvement tips!

This is a practice regimen that if you follow, you will see HUGE results over the time. It's like going to the gym. You won't see results right away, but you will see them with the time.

So this is a 5 day per week 2 hour work out. Here's the work out, explained why, at the bottom you'll see the work out summarized.

1)Technical skill, Zoning and Spacing
Marth is a very demanding character in the hand coordination department, so you need to be on point to shine with him. First of all, watch Mr R's and Mikeneko's marth. You can find a lot of their matches on YouTube. After you've done this, go to VS mode, and copy Mr R's way of performing his attacks, and the things he does, and then copy Mikeneko's way to position himself before attacking. Copy all of this perfectly while facing a LVL 3 Snake CPU's. Do this for 30 minutes before playing online or vs people, and then for 30 minutes after playing. Consistency is key. This is like growing muscles, pretty much. I do this every day with no exceptions.

2) Mental aspect & Habits
Now, remember those videos you've watched? Watch them again, but now with a different look. Analyze the reasoning and thought process of the player you're watching. Why is X doing Z move? Is it because of this reason, or that reason? What's the goal behind this move? Did he accomplish such goal? Did he execute properly his plan? Could he do something better in this scenario that accomplishes the goal he or she had with that decision? This will improve your mental side extremely. I do this a lot before tournies, and I did it everyday back in the day to get my skills to where they're at right now.

3) Match ups & Player styles
Play online! Go to Allisbrawl.com and enroll in the ladder. Then proceed to play people. This is to learn match ups and player styles. Which you absolutely need for tournaments. Do this for 30 minutes.

With all of this, you cover: technicall skill, spacing, match ups and mental aspects. Pretty much everything you need for tournaments.

This is the schedule: 5 times a week - 30 minutes of CPU practice, 30 minutes of online practice, 30 minutes of CPU practice and finish it off with 30 minutes of CPU practice. Make sure to drink a lot of water while doing this to keep you energized and productive while doing it. Can't think or play dry!

Wall teching & Powershielding: Go to Snake's stage in training mode and put green shells. Then proceed to hit it and practice techning it. Since you have two buildings next to you, you will always hit something that you can tech, no matter what. Do this for 10-15 minutes everyday! Works out great. You can also practice PS'ing the green shells for powershielding. This is a tip that Salem gave to me and I pass into you :D

If you have any further questions, or you can send me a video from you playing or need help then feel free to contact me again!

I am a Mr. Game and Watch main, with R.O.B. as a secondary from Phoenix, Arizona.
The area that I find the most trouble with is consistency, mostly due to a lack of being able to keep a lead and/or land a kill move (often making me fish hopelessly)
I can't think of any specific questions as of now, but I will have many to come in the future!
Here are all the most recent videos that I have, the first one (vs. Falco) is tournament, the others are friendlies that were played the same day (in a more serious matter):
I know just exactly how to help you, but I need to study your matches to give you proper coaching. I ask you for patience until your turn comes for tommorow's stream! Stay tuned!

I suscribed to the yt channels and I followed the twitch channels :)
Who do you main? Meta Knight
Where are you from? Netherlands
In what areas do you want to improve on? I want to become a better player in general and basics and I want to improve in some mu's I don't understand well. like ZSS, Pikachu and Olimar
Any questions you'd like answered? Does the coaching only work though this thread?
Recent videos? Soon I will have a recent one
For the basics, read my descriptions of spacing, tech skill and the work out regimen I gave to Mr Z. All of this will help you tremendously with the basics, especially the work out!

For match ups: For Olimar watch my video explaining the Olimar MU, I cover every aspect! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIh7E35nZ4Y

For Pikachu and ZSS, here are some general tips for both:

ZSS: ZSS is a character where you need to understand her two big weaknesses: She's linear, since he relies on hitting you with D-Smash, Side B and U-Airs. If you can prevent all of them, or most of them you will win. She can't grab out of shield, which means that if you properly hit her shield and back out, she can only hope for dropping shield (7 frames) plus dash attack works, and most of the time, it wont.

After knowing that, here are some general tips:

1) Edeguard ZSS the way I do: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3q9PR1ELQU
2) Bait D-Smash from a distance, or react to it when she does it spontaneously and then proceed to SH tornado her head.
3)Grabbing her works very well, since she can't hit you at mid range. She can only hit you at long (side B) close (Jab), and that's it. If you stay at mid range, she's forced to shield or dash attack you. Which both are easily grabbed or shielded.
4) If you run and shield at her, she can't do anything to you but hope her super slow grab works. Abuse this to shield attacks and punish her!
5)Once you condition her to your shield game, proceed to shield, and then full hop Down air while moving bacwards to beat grabs or anything she tries in the ground. Works wonderfully!
6) Never air dodge into her. Always glide away (care of Side B, FH U-Air) and then drop down on the stage, or land away from her while doing an attack, such as F-Air, B-Air or tornado (best options).

Pikachu:

You have to understand that Pikachu relies on grabbing you to do damage. So by all means, don't get grabbed early on.

1) Treat him like Wario and GW together. Wall him out with F-Airs (His SH Down air) and D-Tilts (dashing at you) to stop him from rushing you.
2) Implement a lot of dash grab in your game. Pikachu relies on shielding your attack to get his grabs in. After a couple attacks, just go an dash grab him! It works out very well, especially after D-Tilting at mid range, since he'll think you do another one.
3) Never air dodge into Pikachu. That's how he gets his U-Smash/F-Smashes kills.
4) You can't really edgeguard him. So simply stay near the ledge and prevent him from getting back to ground of the stage (Cover the ledge, like you can see me in my MK Ditto videos).
5) Pikachu's like to spot dodge to punish you with grabs. So make sure to do a lot of multi hits to hit both run attempts and spot dodges. D-Tilts into F-Tilts work wonderfully for this.

Good luck!

BlueXenon

Smash Lord
NNID
Blueoceans26
3DS FC
3050-7832-9141
3) Match ups & Player styles
Play online! Go to Allisbrawl.com and enroll in the ladder. Then proceed to play people. This is to learn match ups and player styles. Which you absolutely need for tournaments. Do this for 30 minutes.
I don't like playing on the ladder because i have a fear of losing to players much worse than me due to lag. How can I get rid of this fear?

GOofyGV

Smash Lord
For the basics, read my descriptions of spacing, tech skill and the work out regimen I gave to Mr Z. All of this will help you tremendously with the basics, especially the work out!

For match ups: For Olimar watch my video explaining the Olimar MU, I cover every aspect! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIh7E35nZ4Y

For Pikachu and ZSS, here are some general tips for both:

ZSS: ZSS is a character where you need to understand her two big weaknesses: She's linear, since he relies on hitting you with D-Smash, Side B and U-Airs. If you can prevent all of them, or most of them you will win. She can't grab out of shield, which means that if you properly hit her shield and back out, she can only hope for dropping shield (7 frames) plus dash attack works, and most of the time, it wont.

After knowing that, here are some general tips:

1) Edeguard ZSS the way I do: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3q9PR1ELQU
2) Bait D-Smash from a distance, or react to it when she does it spontaneously and then proceed to SH tornado her head.
3)Grabbing her works very well, since she can't hit you at mid range. She can only hit you at long (side B) close (Jab), and that's it. If you stay at mid range, she's forced to shield or dash attack you. Which both are easily grabbed or shielded.
4) If you run and shield at her, she can't do anything to you but hope her super slow grab works. Abuse this to shield attacks and punish her!
5)Once you condition her to your shield game, proceed to shield, and then full hop Down air while moving bacwards to beat grabs or anything she tries in the ground. Works wonderfully!
6) Never air dodge into her. Always glide away (care of Side B, FH U-Air) and then drop down on the stage, or land away from her while doing an attack, such as F-Air, B-Air or tornado (best options).

Pikachu:

You have to understand that Pikachu relies on grabbing you to do damage. So by all means, don't get grabbed early on.

1) Treat him like Wario and GW together. Wall him out with F-Airs (His SH Down air) and D-Tilts (dashing at you) to stop him from rushing you.
2) Implement a lot of dash grab in your game. Pikachu relies on shielding your attack to get his grabs in. After a couple attacks, just go an dash grab him! It works out very well, especially after D-Tilting at mid range, since he'll think you do another one.
3) Never air dodge into Pikachu. That's how he gets his U-Smash/F-Smashes kills.
4) You can't really edgeguard him. So simply stay near the ledge and prevent him from getting back to ground of the stage (Cover the ledge, like you can see me in my MK Ditto videos).
5) Pikachu's like to spot dodge to punish you with grabs. So make sure to do a lot of multi hits to hit both run attempts and spot dodges. D-Tilts into F-Tilts work wonderfully for this.

Good luck!
Thanks a lot<3

sGale

Smash Journeyman
NNID
sGaley
3DS FC
4484-8977-1421
Who do you main? MK
Where are you from? Sweden
In what areas do you want to improve on? Zoning, spacing and pressuring
Any questions you'd like answered? Not right now
Recent videos? Will have up soon-ish

Bobwithlobsters

Smash Journeyman
Zero, any preference as to if we PM you our relevant info for when we follow your channels or if we leave it in a post on this thread?

TSM ZeRo

Who do you main? MK
Where are you from? Sweden
In what areas do you want to improve on? Zoning, spacing and pressuring
Any questions you'd like answered? Not right now
Recent videos? Will have up soon-ish
Zoning: This is essentially getting stage control. Spacing is being in the exact range where your attacks will hit your opponent, then backing out, so he can't hit you back. To zone properly, you first need to master spacing, and also have tech skill. So here's a mini-guide on how to improve at all of them:

1)Technical skill, Zoning and Spacing
Marth is a very demanding character in the hand coordination department, so you need to be on point to shine with him. First of all, watch Mr R's and Mikeneko's marth. You can find a lot of their matches on YouTube. After you've done this, go to VS mode, and copy Mr R's way of performing his attacks, and the things he does, and then copy Mikeneko's way to position himself before attacking. Copy all of this perfectly while facing a LVL 3 Snake CPU's. Do this for 30 minutes before playing online or vs people, and then for 30 minutes after playing. Consistency is key. This is like growing muscles, pretty much. I do this every day with no exceptions (but with MK).

There are 2 types of pressure. The shield one and the zone one. The shield one means hitting your opponent's shield in a specific way so your opponent can't counterattack you, but that at the same time, lowers his shield (or that you hit him, best case scenario of course). Platform pressure from below, multi hits, strong or long range attacks all work very well for this. Then you mix this up with grabbing to condition them and beat their defensive options (since they'll get used to shielding your pressure). The zone one is a concept. In Smash you need stage control to win, so if you zone your opponent into the corners, you win. It's like boxing. Whoever is in the corner has their options limited. The simple act of walking towards your opponent will create reactions, either aggressive or defensive ones and that's when you have to capitalize on them depending if you have enough space or not (depending where you're). They key to doing this correctly is by punishing escapes or defensive maneuvers (Attacks that let them get out of there, such as Snake's dash attack, shielding, rolling, jumping, etc.). Always take advantage of the situation if you have stage control, especially if your opponent is landing from the air. Prioritize and take advantage of zoning! This is the key to win consistently.

Zero, any preference as to if we PM you our relevant info for when we follow your channels or if we leave it in a post on this thread?
Up to you. If it's here, then my answer will be seen by everyone, and it will help out everyone a lot, not only you. But if you want it to be private, go for it. I'm fine with both, like I said, it's up to you.

TSM ZeRo

Video critiques are up!!!

Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8Tl32APQrU

Main - Ice Climbers
Im from La Serena, Chile

Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyReBjIQi9o

Who do you main? Fox

Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avl8FH6zZ3Q

Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jaNERveRQ1M

Krynxe

I can't pronounce it either
3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
Heya Zero! So I'm actually a melee player just getting into Brawl so maybe you could help me out. I have a lot to learn about this game, even simple things (Twinkie/Dan had to explain port priority to me the other day! :p ) but I have my fundamentals and I've been playing melee and 64 for years, along with other fighting games, so it shouldn't be too hard to help me improve.

was already subbed to all those channels, lol. yt name is TheGlitchedUpGlitch, twitch name is krynxe

Who do you main?
Still not completely decided, but I'm liking MK a lot. Also using Snake and ZSS sometimes

Where are you from?
WA state

- Consistently picking the best options with my character
- maximizing my punishing
- not being unsafe
- covering opponents options

play me online and give me direct tips/advice? :D

Recent videos?
no videos of my playing brawl yet

Top Bottom