• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Critique my Link *Now with post critique videos*

Onomanic

Heaven Piercer
As a long time Link mainer, I've always wondered where I stood among my fellow Link users. I really wanted to know how good my Link was. I still do. I've got a few videos up of me using Link. They're all live matches. No wifi BS (except a little bit which I'm going to post later today). And the wifi matches were excellent connection. I lose in most of the vids (depressing, I know) but I think it's still enough to critique from. All the matches are from this summer.

Live Friendlies
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuFcp4-eywo&feature=channel vs Marth (I lose ._.) 11/1/08
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mx4LZ7aqUtM vs Captain Falcon (Win! :D) 8/25/08
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oT_PX4nkBmk vs Captain Falcon (Win! :D) 8/25/08
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1KobUbzc1g&feature=channel vs Link (Win! :D) 9/25/08
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyVZCh-uCug vs Captain Falcon (I lose ._. I blame the stage) 8/11/08

Wifi Stuff
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYehdhniFIQ vs Peach (I lose ._.) 11/3/08

Post Critique
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTEUZ_cYO2E vs Captain Falcon (Win! :D) 11/8/08
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nvv_p4Hkswc vs Link (Win! :D) 11/8/08

Post Critique Wifi Stuff lol
vs sasook (dittos)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92i4tqj5cw0 - (Win! :D) 1 1/7/09
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmIrSyjAetQ - (I lose ._.) 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bT4vm2_GSQ - (I lose ._.) 3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=istqAcX46m8 - (I lose ._. Dang I suck lol) 4

Other videos (ATs, techs, combo videos, etc)
Just incase you don't feel like critiquing but rather watch some of my other vids of other things
Critique meeeeee. D:

Not bad, also on the video vs C. Falcon where you lose you were too predictable with them there bombs... also that C. Falcon player seems very familiar.

sMexy-Blu

Smash Lord
At 1:25 of the 1st match you were like

Blu Link: XDD SUICIDE Taunt Time
Zelos.SHUT UP FSMASH ***** XDD

Legan

Smash Lord
Not bad Blue XD, the only thing I want to say is that against the swordsman like Marth & Ike, you definately have to use your projectiles more. Link cant fight head to head with the other swordsman but he can do very well against them if he uses his projectiles to his advantage.

Onomanic

Heaven Piercer
Yeah I'm always rushing right in there. I only space at high percents. So start using projectiles against close range attacks more. And stfu Psychic Blade. That was you. Don't talk in 3rd person! And you are very familiar with my play style. And also get on AIM!

Ich Bin Awesome

Smash Journeyman
You got some nice moves. A few suggestions (only saw marth vid btw):
-zair a bit more since i noticed that marth was getting way too comfortable approaching you.
-you had many missed opportunities to zair edge guard (in fact at 1:06 you already had a zair edge guard kill if only you had just hung out on the ledge!)
-try to cut down on those spin attacks, try using them more when predicting rolls, after blocked aerials, or in side-step battles
-lastly, i salute you for your great taste in music :D

Onomanic

Heaven Piercer
Yeah I've already cut down on the spin attack. I get punished way too much. And I always spaz and try to make it look fancy by Zair edgeguarding twice but I messed up.

NintenJoe

Smash Ace
Lol, I only watched the first video, but you appear to have a case of NintenJoe's "ZOMG JABLOCK" disease. Symptoms include, but are not limited to:

1. Overuse of gale boomerang
2. Not enough arrows or bombs
3. Gale Boomerang thrown too close to an opponent
4. Random Gale throws at the edge for no reason T_T (You didn't do it, but i used to)

I liked the vids (and the music). You need to stop using the gale boomerang so much. I used to do that too, and that caused you a lot of punishment in that first vid. Bombs should be used a lot more, especially to rack up damage. Your usage of grabs and DACs were great. Just iron out a few kinks in your projectile game and you'll have an awesome link :D

D

Deleted member

moar bomms!!!!!111

good **** dude, i can't really critique anything more than that lol

Yeah I'm always rushing right in there. I only space at high percents. So start using projectiles against close range attacks more. And stfu Psychic Blade. That was you. Don't talk in 3rd person! And you are very familiar with my play style. And also get on AIM!
Well excuse me princess... (random reference) and also nice way to tell me to go on AIM over the forums. + I was making a joke and also more projectiles. *goes onto AIM*

Onomanic

Heaven Piercer
That might not happen lol Wifi has been down for awhile. And of course I'm better. I was addicted to AiB and hardly went on SWF during that time, never getting better.

AeroLink_the_SoulMaster

Let's rock, baby!
Two things: Edge guarding- You had plenty of chances to gimp that Marth. You just let him grab the ledge. Just try to be patient and not mindlessly getting off the ledge.
Taunting-Don't taunt to leave yourself open. If you really want to taunt, the down-taunt is Link's fastest.

Overall, nice Link. Keep at it.

Bouse

Smash Ace
Roll less when they're behind you. Work on out of shield pivot boosted Dsmashes.

Also, you can use the gale boomerang in the same amount you're using it but fire an arrow or pull out a bomb when you're about to catch it to eliminate the lag.

NintenJoe

Smash Ace
so you guyz call items cheap but edge guarding is OK? i dont edge guard...if i can i help people bak up to tha stage...yall ****erz are cheap!!!
I, uhhh, think its time for you to leave smashboards now...

edgeguarding is a part of the game, and it legitimately takes skill unlike items. Sasook already explained this, I won't even bother...

DJKingDavid

Smash Apprentice
so u think there is skill in campin...when someone is basically defenseless...and you smash them...wow lets just paint a big ****ing target on em...thats so ****in lame!

sasook

Smash Champion
DJKingDavid, edgeguarding is part of the game. An allowed part of the game at that. Unlike items. You do realize that throwing an item at a recovering opponent is considered edgeguarding I hope. There goes your argument on why items should be allowed.

Edgeguarding is legal/normal/allowed. If you don't like it, don't edgeguard. Just don't get upset when your opponent doesn't do the same.

It's not cheap at all, so deal with it.

DJKingDavid

Smash Apprentice
i dont hate ppl who edgeguard...i can edgeguard like a PRO...but i dont like doing it...items can be used that way too...i feel that if they are helpless then you really shouldn't kill them...

sasook

Smash Champion
This is legal. It's not pretty, and it's not fun for the person (me) who's being edgeguarded, but it's legal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wr95Y_HQuYo

What happened to me after the first stock is normal, nothign surprising or cheap. Don't feel bad for your opponents. They won't feel bad for you when you lose a stock.

By the way, that video also shows why Link is a terrible character. His recovery is next to nothing. Which is why he's second to bottom on the tier list.

DJKingDavid

Smash Apprentice
then please do explain this CODE OF HONOR...cuza u shouldnt spam attacks...you should edge guard...you shouldnt use meta-knight...you should juggle...you shouldnt use items...you should use smashes regularly...but not spam them...i think everyone will hate you no matter what you do...where is the HONOR?!

Onomanic

Heaven Piercer
DJ, edgeguarding is completely legit. And if you don't edge guard, the game will go on forever. I'm still working on my edgeguarding lol And how is edgeguarding camping? Seriously.

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
Honor? I thought we were talking about winning.

Well, why do we play Link when we think he sucks and can't win?

A) 'Cause Link does suck. Ivysaur can gimp him with a freakin' leaf, for crying out loud.
B) Because we can expand his metagame.
C) We think we can improve and use the many and varied AT's. Eventually mastery = one beastly Link.
D) He's freaking Link!

sasook

Smash Champion
then please do explain this CODE OF HONOR...cuza u shouldnt spam attacks...you should edge guard...you shouldnt use meta-knight...you should juggle...you shouldnt use items...you should use smashes regularly...but not spam them...i think everyone will hate you no matter what you do...where is the HONOR?!
What code of honor? Tell me where you read about this, and provide a link to it. I know of no code of honor at all. It's true that people respect you more if you play with variety, but if you win by all means necessary, well, they have to deal with it. A CG-happy D3, a campy ROB or Snake, a 'nado spamming MK......they're not really respected after the match, but it works. There's no "code of honor."

I can break apart your entire statement right now and I think I will.

-Shouldn't spam attacks

There are SEVERAL reasons why you shouldn't spam one thing. The biggest is that it makes you predictable. As soon as you get predictable, you get punished for it. Another reason is that the move gets decayed. If you spam smash attacks, they'll be so weak by the time the opponent is at a decent percentage that they'll live instead of getting KO'd. Also, spamming never, and I mean NEVER brings out the full potential to that character. And any character at full potential > that same character that spams.

-Should edgeguard

Yeah, we just through all this.

-Shouldn't use MK

Did we ever say this? Sure, MK is hated a lot for his brokenness, but if you really want to play him, no one is stopping you. If you're referring to what you read about NintenJoe's joke, it was just that, a joke.

-you should juggle

Um....yeah. Not much to say here, juggling is always good. Brawl's broken airdodge system makes it harder though.

-Shouldn't use items

We went through all this already.

-Should use smashes regularly but not spam them

Smashes, in general, are used as KO moves. They're good to be used once in a while to mix things up, but usually the main damage rackers are Link's projectiles and his tilts. I already explained the disadvantages to spamming them.

DJKingDavid

Smash Apprentice
Blue Link...its campin because you wait for a perfect line up...they cant defend against...its not cheap...its not illegal...its just not nice...i could be a ruthless smasher...i choose not to be...i smash for fun...i can mayb understand being ruthless in a tourney...

oh sasook i get what you mean...

sasook

Smash Champion
Camping isn't waiting for a right time to attack. That's called being smart. Camping is when you literally run away at every opportunity and spam projectiles. This is a bit harder for Link than you might think, despite his 3 projectiles. None of them are spammable in the traditional sense.

For instance, Link can't do this:

Stand still
Hit B
B
B
B
B
B
BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB

It just doesn't work.

Someone like Falco, Toon Link, sometimes Snake and Wolf, and R.O.B., all those characters can camp.

DJKingDavid

Smash Apprentice
well i suppose i joined for tha WRONG reasons...i just enjoy tha game...i see what u mean by campin...i wud like to play all u guyz tho...i think it wud be fun!...i got no disrepect for anyone or how any of you guyz play...ill post videos when i get my skill up with Link...

Matt07

Smash Master
Yea, it's true being different from friendlies to tournament matches, but a lot of people train during friendlies, and be competitive, so when they go into a tournament they know what the setting and competition is like ;).

Onomanic

Heaven Piercer
Yea, it's true being different from friendlies to tournament matches, but a lot of people train during friendlies, and be competitive, so when they go into a tournament they know what the setting and competition is like ;).
That friendlies training thing, that's how I train lol That's the best way to train. Play friendlies not comps.

DJKingDavid

Smash Apprentice
well you guys sound like you ONLY play competitively...i play both ways...a game is no fun if all tha fun is suked out of it...IMO...take it or leave it...

Onomanic

Heaven Piercer
We play friendlies sure but we focus on competitive style play. And the game's fun isn't sucked out. It's perfectly fine. And I leave it.

Wafflez

Smash Journeyman
well you guys sound like you ONLY play competitively...i play both ways...a game is no fun if all tha fun is suked out of it...IMO...take it or leave it...
Lolwut?

If you ask me, good competition IS fun. If playing competitively wasn't fun, nobody would do it.

People play competitively because they enjoy the game.

sasook

Smash Champion
Dude, going neck and neck against someone who's just about equal to you and is giving you really good competition is what makes the game fun. The fun is sucked out when you can't have good, close matches.

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
Dude, going neck and neck against someone who's just about equal to you and is giving you really good competition is what makes the game fun. The fun is sucked out when you can't have good, close matches.
Why I decided to join.

But heck, if you just want to play for fun with friends, why not? There's still a bunch of cool stuff on Smashforums you can use. Teach your friends who use Pit how to arrow circle or arrow rain... find out all the AT's Link has... learn how to Hydroplane with Squirtle! There are so many fun options available that, while not like chaingrabbing, edgeguarding and whatnot, will add flair and pizzaz to your game! When you pull off a perfect hydroplane that launches your opponent high in the sky, you and your friends can't do anything but "Ooooh!!!" in amazement and awesomeness.
So even if you don't play for competition, use this site anyway! Just know that we will be analazying everything in depth here, with things like chaingrabbing and edgeguarding considered perfectly legal. Just take those out, and POW! you've got a perfect site where you can learn cool things.

Top Bottom