• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Consult Your Navigator - Mega Man Q&A Thread

Smog Frog

Smash Lord
I guess? Mega Man is definitely the "differentest" character from Ganon's playstyle

Who do you generally have trouble with as Ganon? I'm not too familiar with his MUs in Smash4
i have alot of troubles with characters with huge disjoints(think shulk or ike), campy characters that i'm forced to approach(link, toon link, olimar), and speedy characters that wont let me hit them(sonic, sheik)

the ones in parenthesis are just examples(also i believe shulk is one of ganons top 3 hardest matchups)

ArchmageMC

Smash Apprentice
Shulk gives a lot of people bad match ups. Hes the marth of smash 4 imo.

Megaman is a weird char from ganon, but he does hurt link a lot as lemons kill all but bombs which you can catch anyway. Sonic/shiek get owned by lemons too as they shut down their approaches, and lets him space the swordsman.

I dunno why Ike gives people problems, hes just so slow for how wimpy he hits, Bowser has the same range and hits faster and harder. hm....

ChopperDave

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3007-8077-4055
i have alot of troubles with characters with huge disjoints(think shulk or ike), campy characters that i'm forced to approach(link, toon link, olimar), and speedy characters that wont let me hit them(sonic, sheik)

the ones in parenthesis are just examples(also i believe shulk is one of ganons top 3 hardest matchups)
I think Mega Man does pretty well against Shulk, Ike, Link, Toon Link, and Olimar, so he might be a good choice to cover those matchups.

I usually don't have problems with Sonic, though that may be because I haven't played against any really good ones. I do think Mega Man has some really good tools for that match up.

Sheik feels about even, and I've played against some really good Sheiks. Both characters seem to have good tools in that matchup, and both have a tough time killing each other.

Smog Frog

Smash Lord
alright, megaman seems like a good choice atm

can he be played aggressively? or better yet, switch between aggressive and defensive?

ChopperDave

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3007-8077-4055
alright, megaman seems like a good choice atm

can he be played aggressively? or better yet, switch between aggressive and defensive?
I play him pretty aggressively, yeah. Because of his range and speed he can just throw out attacks and pressure without too much risk.

I've said this before, but I think MM works best as a mix-up character. Switching up ranges and being unpredictable is what he's good at.

Last edited:

ArchmageMC

Smash Apprentice
I play him pretty aggressively, yeah. Because of his range and speed he can just throw out attacks and pressure without too much risk.

I've said this before, but I think MM works best as a mix-up character. Switching up ranges and being unpredictable is what he's good at.
What he says. MM best strength is the fact that he can weave in and out of melee and midrange fighting with incredible ease, as well as getting very easy grabs on people. Makes me sad that he doesn't have Captain Falcon's incredible DASG though.

Last edited:

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
How to deal with Link's projectiles when fighting him? Just fought one today on For Glory and it was hell, since our projectiles clashed and I ended up being forced to approach him and lost both times against him. I also hate having to deal with Link's aerials since they seem almost lagless (well, except for his Dair) and his Jab pushes me out whenever I do get in.

ScAtt77

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ScAtt77
How to deal with Link's projectiles when fighting him? Just fought one today on For Glory and it was hell, since our projectiles clashed and I ended up being forced to approach him and lost both times against him. I also hate having to deal with Link's aerials since they seem almost lagless (well, except for his Dair) and his Jab pushes me out whenever I do get in.
Links arrows and boomerang = pellets. Both clank with pellets, which you shoot out much faster than Link's arrows and boomerangs. Also, at long distance leaf shield > arrows and boomerang. Bombs are a bit harder to deal with; generally, you want to catch them. I believe that shielding and catching the bomb as it pops up is a pretty decent way to do it. I'm not sure about challenging Link's aerials, but a pretty safe way to approach would be a full-hop, diagonally thrown MB.

How do you guys typically handle ledge guarding? I find myself being able to cover ledge get-up decently well, but when it comes to jumping and ledge rolls, I can't seem to react/ cover that area based on my stage positioning. So, how do you typically position yourself when you want to cover those options? What attacks do you typically throw out to cover those areas? Is it match-up specific?

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
Links arrows and boomerang = pellets. Both clank with pellets, which you shoot out much faster than Link's arrows and boomerangs. Also, at long distance leaf shield > arrows and boomerang. Bombs are a bit harder to deal with; generally, you want to catch them. I believe that shielding and catching the bomb as it pops up is a pretty decent way to do it. I'm not sure about challenging Link's aerials, but a pretty safe way to approach would be a full-hop, diagonally thrown MB.

How do you guys typically handle ledge guarding? I find myself being able to cover ledge get-up decently well, but when it comes to jumping and ledge rolls, I can't seem to react/ cover that area based on my stage positioning. So, how do you typically position yourself when you want to cover those options? What attacks do you typically throw out to cover those areas? Is it match-up specific?
Thanks, will try that next time. As for ledge guarding, I usually stand right near the ledge and wait for them to make a move, sometimes with Leaf Shield activated.

If they roll, I throw a Metal blade behind myself to nab them. Maybe roll after them or fire my Leaf shield if I have it on.

If they jump, I throw an MB upwards or use the Air Shooter.

If they getup attack, I get a free Dsmash punish.

Probably not the best idea, but I figure I'd return the favor for your advice. Hope it helps!

Sorichuudo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1977-1410-9227
So, can anyone help me with something, i don't have a video but here is what happened:

Fighting a Kirby on for glory, on the unova pokemon league stage.
He sents me flying to the right side of the screen, i double jump, then i use rush, then wall jump cause i didn't make it to the edge, then after the wall jump, i use rush AGAIN.

Watched the replay 5 times and that's what happened, DJ>up B>wall jump> UP B. But trying it on training, wall jump doesn't refreshes up b. Anyone know what happened?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Saltix

Smash Lord
What were the brawl techs regarding items? I remember invinci-bombing and Instant Item Toss... Do any those old techs apply to Mega Man?

Greninja'd

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Asianbanana
3DS FC
0645-5951-1667
How do you do short hop lemons back and forth?

ENKER

Smash Journeyman
NNID
megamanx1367
3DS FC
5344-0965-9612
What were the brawl techs regarding items? I remember invinci-bombing and Instant Item Toss... Do any those old techs apply to Mega Man?
Yes! Mega has what we call the invinciblade! He can Z drop a picked up metal blade immediately after air dodging.

Same goes for instant item toss! Mega can use this to head shot tall characters with a item metal blade.

How do you do short hop lemons back and forth?
To do what I like to call the Proto Hop, after Proto Man from Mega Man 3, I slide my right thumb from A to X. Mega will shoot a lemon and then immediately jump. Moving while doing so takes a little practice, just play around with the movement stick and you'll get a feel for it!

It's SO good for spacing!

Last edited:

DblCrest

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DblCrest
3DS FC
0018-2708-3882
I've found throwing Metal blade at point blank and upwards at low percentages can lead into Uptilt. Sometimes it doesn't work and they don't fly far enough though.

What do you guys think? I've found Uptilt is more of a punishing move after a spot dodge of shield myself.
So risky yet satisfying to land...

ChopperDave

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3007-8077-4055
I've found throwing Metal blade at point blank and upwards at low percentages can lead into Uptilt. Sometimes it doesn't work and they don't fly far enough though.

What do you guys think? I've found Uptilt is more of a punishing move after a spot dodge of shield myself.
So risky yet satisfying to land...
It takes some stones, but if you're confident enough in your timing you can power/perfect shield many aerial approaches. Guaranteed utilt if you successfully perfect shield.

I sometimes like to run up to people and power shield for the same reason. If they take the bait and try to hit me, SHORYUKUN.

Mega Man really benefits from learning to power/perfect shield because of his utilt, IMHO.

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
Does Megaman not have a Player Finder Thread here? Because I'm starting to really dislike For Glory now and it makes me so salty every now and then, and I think its actually worsening my skill with MM rather than improving it; programming me to play only on one stage, playing against a limited amount of strategies, and not even being able to find a lot of good players. Most other Mega Men I face in For Glory aren't really that great in my experience and it doesn't really help me learn much in a matchup against him or ditto experiences. I'm well aware of SmashLadder.com and will try it soon, but for now I'm just looking for another Megaman.

Just trying to find somebody good to help meowt :052:

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
I think there was one, but it didn't really take off. If there's enough interest it'll probably come back.

For now I'd recommend just using the board's social thread.

HalcyonDays

Smash Apprentice
Hey Spotters/Navigators,

Are there any threads showing the various kill percentages on different characters with each of Megaman's moves? (Outside the non-kill moves like Metal Blades, spaced pellets, etc.)

I tried searching around but could only find one for Up-tilts, and that was a pre-patch thread.

EDIT: Nevermind, I've found something that satisfies what I was looking for. =)

Last edited:

Nifubias

Smash Rookie
Hey, do you guys have tips on doing shorthop uairs on 3DS? I'm having a hard time pulling them off.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Hey Spotters/Navigators,

Are there any threads showing the various kill percentages on different characters with each of Megaman's moves? (Outside the non-kill moves like Metal Blades, spaced pellets, etc.)

I tried searching around but could only find one for Up-tilts, and that was a pre-patch thread.

EDIT: Nevermind, I've found something that satisfies what I was looking for. =)
The Community Guide is the only thread with kill %, but they may not be the most accurate. They're fine for now, but they'll need to be re-tested in the future.

ChopperDave

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3007-8077-4055
Hey, do you guys have tips on doing shorthop uairs on 3DS? I'm having a hard time pulling them off.
I find it works best when you short hop, uair, fast fall.

If you want to uair immediately after jumping, roll your thumb from X to A. There's a risk if you do this too quickly you'll get a JC usmash, of course, which is why I prefer the SHFF method.

Sorichuudo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1977-1410-9227
Hey, how do you guys feel about self-destructs in for glory?
I heard some people find it disrespectful, like you are taking pity on your opponent, and others find it to be good sportsmanship.

My mindset in FG, is that i am there to learn whatever i can, and try to improve a little. If the opponent sd's despite he kicking my *** at the beggining of the fight, i immediately sd as well, here is my reasoning: i won't learn anything if i need my opponent to kill himself and fight with a stock deficit in order to win.

And i don't mean like "we are fighting off stage and he sd's", i mean when the dude is obviously at the same level or more skilled than i and he sd's despite beating the crap outta me.

I KNOW THAT IN A TOURNAMENT YOU WOULD NEVER DO THAT. In that case you are playing to win, i wouldn't care if my opponent killed himself twice in order for me to win.
We are both playing seriously and it is what it is, the same way i wouldn't wait for my opponent to have sympathy for me
(WE LIKE IKE!) if i kill myself, neither would i use that as an excuse for why i lost.

For glory already is not much in the way of training since there is no skill level based matchmaking, plus everything is final destination, but i still want to learn whatever i can when i play there. The youtuber Shofu said something like "that is nice and all, but you won't get better if the opponent sd's for you", but like i said, i wont improve if i fight with an unfair stock lead either.

Anyone care to share their opinion on this?

ChopperDave

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3007-8077-4055
Hey, how do you guys feel about self-destructs in for glory?
I heard some people find it disrespectful, like you are taking pity on your opponent, and others find it to be good sportsmanship.

My mindset in FG, is that i am there to learn whatever i can, and try to improve a little. If the opponent sd's despite he kicking my *** at the beggining of the fight, i immediately sd as well, here is my reasoning: i won't learn anything if i need my opponent to kill himself and fight with a stock deficit in order to win.

And i don't mean like "we are fighting off stage and he sd's", i mean when the dude is obviously at the same level or more skilled than i and he sd's despite beating the crap outta me.

I KNOW THAT IN A TOURNAMENT YOU WOULD NEVER DO THAT. In that case you are playing to win, i wouldn't care if my opponent killed himself twice in order for me to win.
We are both playing seriously and it is what it is, the same way i wouldn't wait for my opponent to have sympathy for me
(WE LIKE IKE!) if i kill myself, neither would i use that as an excuse for why i lost.

For glory already is not much in the way of training since there is no skill level based matchmaking, plus everything is final destination, but i still want to learn whatever i can when i play there. The youtuber Shofu said something like "that is nice and all, but you won't get better if the opponent sd's for you", but like i said, i wont improve if i fight with an unfair stock lead either.

Anyone care to share their opinion on this?
Well, I personally never purposefully SD.*

The way I think of it, there are times in tournaments that I'm going to be s stock up and times when I'll be a stock down. I won't -- and I shouldn't -- play the same in these situations.

If I'm a stock up due to an early SD, I'll need to play more defensively to maintain that lead as long as possible while wracking up damage before I lose the stock. I'll also need to take advantage of my opponent's behavior if he gets flustered, but not get too complacent because good players will take advantage of this.

Likewise, if I get a stock behind due to an early SD I need to play more aggressively if I want to have a chance of equalizing and go for riskier gimp attemps etc. However, I need to keep my cool and not take any risks or throw out any moves that are just plain stupid.

If everyone SD'd to equalize after unfortunate early SDs, then we'd never learn how to deal with these situations when they inevitably happen in tournament settings.

* The one exception I have is during Sudden Death. If I end a game with higher damage against a skilled opponent, then I'll SD out of respect. I find it really disrespectful and deeply unfun when losing players purposefully refuse to engage and stall out a game so that they might eke out a win in Sudden Death.

Last edited:

ENKER

Smash Journeyman
NNID
megamanx1367
3DS FC
5344-0965-9612
I only SD when my opponent is a skilled player and he or she makes a fatal error that wouldn't normally be made and loses a stock. This usually is in the form of a botched recovery that fails due to lag, etc. You know, something silly.

If I SD in that case, I know I've made the right choice when my opponent taunts me. I then taunt back. I take that exchange as a "Thank you," and my taunt back is a "There's no way I'd let our epic match go stupid like that!"

That to me is respect. But, in person, at a tournament... I agree with Chopper Dave entirely.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
I'm on my phone so, forgive me for not checking, but how does Mega Man use a reverse Metal Saw? I know about reverse Specials for moves like Shield Breaker and Blaster along with the natural reversals for Warlock and Falcon Punch, but I never seen what this guy did.

Reversals usually involve a person turning, but this guy, his tag was jj, just threw a Metal Saw without turning like some cowboy poker trick or something you'd see Gambit do. I have a replay, but I don't know how to upload it.

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
I'm on my phone so, forgive me for not checking, but how does Mega Man use a reverse Metal Saw? I know about reverse Specials for moves like Shield Breaker and Blaster along with the natural reversals for Warlock and Falcon Punch, but I never seen what this guy did.

Reversals usually involve a person turning, but this guy, his tag was jj, just threw a Metal Saw without turning like some cowboy poker trick or something you'd see Gambit do. I have a replay, but I don't know how to upload it.
You can throw Metal Blade in eight directions (cardinal directions + diagonals), so backwards Metal Blade throw without turning around is a thing.

ChopperDave

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3007-8077-4055
You can throw Metal Blade in eight directions (cardinal directions + diagonals), so backwards Metal Blade throw without turning around is a thing.
You press B while the stick is at neutral, then you quickly tap the stick in the direction you want to throw. But not TOO quickly, because otherwise you get a B Reversal (i.e. Mega Man will turn around and throw, rather than throwing behind him like a cowboy poker trick). It can take some practice to get the two different timings down because they each have their uses.

Sorichuudo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1977-1410-9227
I only SD when my opponent is a skilled player and he or she makes a fatal error that wouldn't normally be made and loses a stock. This usually is in the form of a botched recovery that fails due to lag, etc. You know, something silly.

If I SD in that case, I know I've made the right choice when my opponent taunts me. I then taunt back. I take that exchange as a "Thank you," and my taunt back is a "There's no way I'd let our epic match go stupid like that!"

That to me is respect. But, in person, at a tournament... I agree with Chopper Dave entirely.
That's my point. Like i said, if my opponent is destroying me and then SD's accidentally, then off the screen i go. I agree with Chopper Dave and i would NOT do that on a tournament. Heck i don't do that when i fight my friends, neither they do it if i am the one that SD's (plus is kinda of a rule to laugh and mock each other when that happens. Friends are a beautiful thing).

If i'm the one laying the smackdown and the opponent kill himself, i won't SD for him, obviously.

Last edited:

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
I never SD on purpose, and I don't like it when people do it with me.. If a player makes a mistake (whether it's a flubbed input, a missed read, an SD, etc), then that's their problem and they should play with it. Otherwise there's no drive to improve

Red Shirt KRT

Smash Ace
NNID
1-337-PWN-CALL
3DS FC
0044-2813-9398
Does anything stop Leaf Shield when you throw it?

ChopperDave

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3007-8077-4055
Does anything stop Leaf Shield when you throw it?
IIRC a fully charged Charge Shot or Aura Sphere will eat through Leaf Shield and keep on going. I think Oil Panic (the attack part) may be capable of doing that as well. Otherwise it is pretty much unstoppable and has to be shielded or dodged to be avoided, and dodging it ain't easy.

ExZero

Smash Rookie
So last night I was playing some for glory matches and I ran into a guy who used Jigglypuff, Captain Falcon and Sonic. I could manage against his Sonic just fine but Captain Falcon and Jigglypuff just outright destroyed me. I'm not all that familiar with the Jigglypuff match up and I was having a hard time countering his aerials. I noticed I didn't really know how to handle fighting the character and kept screwing up. Any tips on fighting both Captain Falcon and Jigglypuff with Megaman?

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
So last night I was playing some for glory matches and I ran into a guy who used Jigglypuff, Captain Falcon and Sonic. I could manage against his Sonic just fine but Captain Falcon and Jigglypuff just outright destroyed me. I'm not all that familiar with the Jigglypuff match up and I was having a hard time countering his aerials. I noticed I didn't really know how to handle fighting the character and kept screwing up. Any tips on fighting both Captain Falcon and Jigglypuff with Megaman?
Gonna redirect you to this here thread:
http://smashboards.com/threads/general-mu-help-discussion.371272/
There are some posts in that thread that should help. And if not, I think your question will by well received there.

Just a Random Guy

Smash Cadet
I never SD on purpose, and I don't like it when people do it with me.. If a player makes a mistake (whether it's a flubbed input, a missed read, an SD, etc), then that's their problem and they should play with it. Otherwise there's no drive to improve
Very true if the opponent made a mistake, but I feel it is kinda unfair when you are at an advantage and some external issues (imput lag, frame delay,etc) drives you to a nunfair dead leading to a disadvantage that may end on a loss.

On the 3ds that's an issue because of the 2 live system but I heard you got 3 lives on the wii U so I think you got a chance to turn around the tables there I guess.

ENKER

Smash Journeyman
NNID
megamanx1367
3DS FC
5344-0965-9612
You might have heard wrong. When playing Against Anyone the stock is set to 2 on the Wii U as well.

Last edited:

ENKER

Smash Journeyman
NNID
megamanx1367
3DS FC
5344-0965-9612
No big, my man! :)

Since there are clearly two points of view on this, and I understand both, I've started letting the opponent decide which view point we'll employ in our matches. If the opponent honorably SD's in favor of an epic match after I die due to a lag thing, I know what the opponent will appreciate from me in future stocks. If the opponent doesn't, then I follow suit and I won't SD either if the opponent makes a similar mistake.

Too bad we can't communicate easily, that would make this easier. It's like we have to read their Smash body language, lol.

Last edited:

PlamZ

Smash Cadet
Is there a good guide on the use of pellets? I sometime struggle to capitalize after getting some of them to hit.

Top Bottom