• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Consult Your Navigator - Mega Man Q&A Thread

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
When giving me advice from one of my gameplay videos in the video thread , somebody told me should have used the Metal Blade more to get more string openings. What strings can you from Metal Blades?
Can anyone still answer my question? What can I string from a Metal Blade after throwing it? Also a new question I thought of:
What are the best throws to use for followups?

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
Metal Blade>Dash grab/attack is an important one (especially against heavy characters). Also, Metal Blade>Pellets work well so that you can keep your spacing. These link well into each other if you start your metal blade animation in the air so that you can follow them quicker.

As for your throw question: down throw is generally the best for follow ups. At low %'s, it combo's very reliably to FAir, which can be followed up with a metal blade to reset them and grab again. Grab, dthrow, fair, MB, grab, pummel, dthrow, fair is something I do quite often. They're ripe for aerials of any kind or even a running upsmash if you get them to air dodge immediately.

Back throw does 12%, which is in general, fantastic. Also is a kill throw if you can keep it fresh. Up throw and forward throw are more for positioning. Up throw is good to set them up for up-air juggling and forward throw is to get them off the edge.

ChopperDave

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3007-8077-4055
Another useful thing to keep in mind is that picking up Metal Blade and throwing it in the air or from neutral (or jump cancel throw) has lower cooldown than normal MB throw. Z-dropping a MB is even better, because it's a Frame 1 action with no cooldown whatsoever.

So if you have a MB in hand, you can toss it and then follow up almost immediately with a fsmash, for example. One of my favorite "bursts" since the patch is to get a Metal Blade in my hand and a Leaf Shield up, then do LS Throw -> MB throw -> Fsmash. It's a projectile combo that puts on serious shield pressure and WILL break shields, especially if your opponent has had his shield previously weakened by a Crash Bomb.

Z-dropped MB combos into tons of stuff too. Z-drop MB+ bair is a really tough edgeguard to avoid. Short Hopped Z-drop MB + usmash/dsmash is a combo against standing opponents. Z-dropped MB + dair is a combo against opponents on the ground and the air. Sky's the limit with this one.

I feel like as MM you want to have either a MB in your hand or a LS up whenever you can--both if possible. IMO this is how we create states of advantage that we can use to approach and KO.

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
dthrow also combos into turnaround FH bair (and sometimes a 2nd bair) leading to a cool 16-28% at low-mid %s against a bunch of chars. I haven't really charted who this works/doesn't work on but it seems to be the less floaty chars that are more likely to connect. I get it on Sheik for example.

dthrow > Fair is reliable against a larger group of chars and a wider % range but does less damage.

I also like dthrow > empty jump (baiting an airdodge) > jump uair... Lot of damage from that if you do get the airdodge. and if they consistently don't, uair or 2nd jump bair work wonders.

I like never use uthrow... not sure about it's uses, as dthrow typically gives better results.

Bthrow kills are SO satisfying with Mega's "get the f* outta here" animation on it.

roymustang1990-

Smash Ace
NNID
RoyMustang1990
Question. Is using f tilt as a method to run up to your opponent,go past them and then turn around and repeat that same action back and forth a legit tactic for megaman? Im asking because I caught some players for glory couldn't punish me( shield grab) for doing that. It's kind of amazing. 0-0

Leg

Smash Cadet
NNID
SeduKtriss
Question here~

I'm picking up Megaman, mostly to replace Falco's SHDL with his lemons XD I see that he has an ATs thread and I was wondering if he has a thread dedicated to his BnBs, or if there even are any?

Meezus

Smash Rookie
NNID
meezus_christ
3DS FC
2535-4263-8596
If you guys want to see how to play well with Megaman watch StylesX2 on YouTube. He is absolutely insane.

ChopperDave

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3007-8077-4055
This might be a question for its own thread, but which characters do you guys think makes good secondaries and/ or pocket characters for a Mega Man main?

I spend most of my time trying to perfect my Mega Man play, and I like to think I've gotten pretty good with him. Still, I'm honestly still not sure who his truly bad MUs are, or which characters counter them. I tend to have the most trouble against good Foxes and Palutenas because they can really abuse their reflectors, teleports/pseudo-teleports, and projectiles to play keep away and make it hard for me to seal KOs.

So far the only other character I've practiced with is Shulk. He's a lot of fun and he certainly doesn't worry about reflectors, which are my biggest worry as a MM player. Still, I'm not sure if he's the "best" character I could be working on.

Last edited:

ScAtt77

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ScAtt77
Question. Is using f tilt as a method to run up to your opponent,go past them and then turn around and repeat that same action back and forth a legit tactic for megaman? Im asking because I caught some players for glory couldn't punish me( shield grab) for doing that. It's kind of amazing. 0-0
Honestly, I don't think it's that effective, simply because your giving up your mid range game and spacing in exchange for a potential 6% cross-up. On top of that, it takes quite a while for Mega man to turn around after using pellets. I used to often cross up with pellets and then immediately turn around and F-smash or fire more pellets, but once my opponents started rolling out of the way, the punishment that Mega man gets doesn't feel worth the risk. Of course, crossing opponents up with f-tilt is still a decent mix-up when your opponent is expecting you to play it safe, but using it sparingly seems to be the way to go imo.

This might be a question for its own thread, but which characters do you guys think makes good secondaries and/ or pocket characters for a Mega Man main?

I spend most of my time trying to perfect my Mega Man play, and I like to think I've gotten pretty good with him. Still, I'm honestly still not sure who his truly bad MUs are, or which characters counter them. I tend to have the most trouble against good Foxes and Palutenas because they can really abuse their reflectors, teleports/pseudo-teleports, and projectiles to play keep away and make it hard for me to seal KOs.

So far the only other character I've practiced with is Shulk. He's a lot of fun and he certainly doesn't worry about reflectors, which are my biggest worry as a MM player. Still, I'm not sure if he's the "best" character I could be working on.
Personally, I've been hopping back and forth between 4 characters outside of Mega Man. Against good Palutenas and Foxes, I would personally go Sonic out of my secondaries; Sonic's speed is more than enough to deal with Palutena's relatively slow ground game and lasers from Fox. Of course, reflectors are far from a problem for Sonic.

Leg

Smash Cadet
NNID
SeduKtriss
I'm not too sure about Ftilt to fltilt, because even on Comps (No wifi right now :C) I seem to get punished for that.

If I'm looking to cross up, I'll normally try dtilt to ftilt, which normally works pretty well.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I'm not too sure about Ftilt to fltilt, because even on Comps (No wifi right now :C) I seem to get punished for that.

If I'm looking to cross up, I'll normally try dtilt to ftilt, which normally works pretty well.
Actually, you won't find anybody that punishes better than
high-level CPUs with frame-perfect timing and input-reading
(just watch how they shadow you when falling to the ground).

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
Actually, you won't find anybody that punishes better than
high-level CPUs with frame-perfect timing and input-reading
(just watch how they shadow you when falling to the ground).
Ehh... I would disagree. While computers have the potential to beat you by input reading and being frame perfect, they're also programmed not to in certain situations.

ftilt cross ups on shield are powerful, but dangerous. If you can bait a whiffed attack (usually a grab), pivot utilt nets you a kill. I wouldn't rely on it, but it's definitely part of the AAA mixups.

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412

I hear :4littlemac:can body both characters if you can use him right, with the many safe attacks he has in his Ftilt and Smashes. If you can punish mistakes easily, you'll also have an easier time scoring KOs than they will since killing is one of his specialties (in a game where killing people is hard). Just be wary of getting grabbed and gimped, and don't rush people down.

ArchmageMC

Smash Apprentice
Hey, whats the best method to use lemons for spacing. shoot a couple times then retreat with a special or a fair/bair? Can't really do retreating shorthop nairs like you can fairs or bairs.

Last edited:

ChopperDave

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3007-8077-4055
Hey, whats the best method to use lemons for spacing. shoot a couple times then retreat with a special or a fair/bair? Can't really do retreating shorthop nairs like you can fairs or bairs.
Theres a pretty big gap between when you finish shooting a barrage of lemons and when you can do another move, so that's not great for spacing.

If you're trying to space the lemons, I would either:

1) Shoot 1-2, short hop backwards as you shoot your last lemon.

2) Shoot 1-2, walk forward after you hit confirm the first lemon, short hop nair so that the last lemon sweet spots.

3) Short hop while shooting first lemon, then nudge Mega Man forward or back while shooting the 2nd and 3rd. If moving forward, you want to sweet spot the 2nd lemon or cross-up the 3rd.

The first on gives up stage control, the second gains it. The 3rd has the benefit of unpredictability.

If you're playing the WiiU version, I highly recommend setting a shoulder button to jump. Makes it much easier to take advantage of Mega Man's ability to jab and jump.

ArchmageMC

Smash Apprentice
Thanks. I use a gamecube controller, so I just push x/y for jumping which makes aerials pretty easy.

A couple others...

What is the hardest megaman matchup? I'd guess the spacies?
Are lemons the best way to punish shield rolls or are there other options?
Since customs are banned atm, should I keep using Leaf Shield, or learn how to use Skull Barrier when its unbanned?
(Also banned customs makes me sad. No Danger Wrap :( )

ChopperDave

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3007-8077-4055
Thanks. I use a gamecube controller, so I just push x/y for jumping which makes aerials pretty easy.

A couple others...

What is the hardest megaman matchup? I'd guess the spacies?
Are lemons the best way to punish shield rolls or are there other options?
Since customs are banned atm, should I keep using Leaf Shield, or learn how to use Skull Barrier when its unbanned?
(Also banned customs makes me sad. No Danger Wrap :( )
The meta game is kind of young so opinions will differ on this point. Personally, I think his worst MU at the moment seems to be Fox. That frame 1 reflector is brutal and really crimps your options, and good Fox players can effectively use a hit-and-run playstyle to slowly build damage without risking a punish from you. He's also got a lot of quick, tough to punish KO moves. Though he is decently easy for us to gimp if we get him off stage, so it's not COMPLETELY lopsided.

I think Leaf Shield is actually better than Skull Barrier, but you may not agree. I'd say learn whichever custom moveset you want if you have good humans to practice against, but otherwise stick with the neutral set. Practicing against AIs doesn't get you very far in this game at all.

Smog Frog

Smash Lord
is it possible to play megaman even if my tech skill is complete garbage

ArchmageMC

Smash Apprentice
Whats the best way to get Wario off his bike assuming you have no customs. CB/MB/LS don't work.

Also whats the best strat for villager?

Smog Frog

Smash Lord
Whats the best way to get Wario off his bike assuming you have no customs. CB/MB/LS don't work.

Also whats the best strat for villager?
best strat for villager is dont use fsmash unless its on a predicted roll.

GenG

Smash Lord
I've been playing with Megaman sparingly since the 3DS demo and still cannot find myself comfortable with it. His traits are clear but his style is very unrewarding and too demanding compared with the rest of the cast. I find myself easily overwhelmed by random players in close quarters. I guess I need some pointers here.

I use the pellets as in a classic Megaman game, short jumping backwards or forwards to create distance. If they shield inside range, sometimes I go for a grab. But I cannot rely forever on the pellets as the main thing as the damage and knockback at maximum range is negligible, it's more of a tool to force approaches.

I use the metal blades with short hops and go for grabs when they are stunned. I rarely catch the blades since I can't afford losing the attacks. I also shoot a crash bomb when I get the chance by dashing and then shooting the other way around to keep momentum.

I only use leaf shield against fast characters that like to grab or against campers.

The rest of attacks are very intuitive to me. Up smash for quick damage by punishing rolls or airdodges, ocassional fsmash for landings, uair for cheap vertical damage, fair and bair for comboing, spacing and gimping, dtilt for quick escapes and maybe combos, etc.

I really like the character, but sometimes I feel like dropping him.

Last edited:

ChopperDave

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3007-8077-4055
What's Z-Dropping and how's it done? Specfically for the metal blades.
Z-dropping is kind of a misnomer now and only applies if you're using a GameCube controller.

If you press the grab button in midair with an item in hand, you'll throw it in the direction you're holding the control stick. If your control stick is at neutral, however, you'll simply drop the item and it will do damage as if you threw it. This is "z-dropping."

Z-dropping is a frame 1 action, so as Mega Man it is actually the quickest attack you have available.

I've been playing with Megaman sparingly since the 3DS demo and still cannot find myself comfortable with it. His traits are clear but his style is very unrewarding and too demanding compared with the rest of the cast. I find myself easily overwhelmed by random players in close quarters. I guess I need some pointers here.

I use the pellets as in a classic Megaman game, short jumping backwards or forwards to create distance. If they shield inside range, sometimes I go for a grab. But I cannot rely forever on the pellets as the main thing as the damage and knockback at maximum range is negligible, it's more of a tool to force approaches.

I use the metal blades with short hops and go for grabs when they are stunned. I rarely catch the blades since I can't afford losing the attacks. I also shoot a crash bomb when I get the chance by dashing and then shooting the other way around to keep momentum.

I only use leaf shield against fast characters that like to grab or against campers.

The rest of attacks are very intuitive to me. Up smash for quick damage by punishing rolls or airdodges, ocassional fsmash for landings, uair for cheap vertical damage, fair and bair for comboing, spacing and gimping, dtilt for quick escapes and maybe combos, etc.

I really like the character, but sometimes I feel like dropping him.
IMHO Mega Man's bread and butter damage moves are his (item) metal blades and his throws. His Metal Blade has all kinds of interesting techs, and once you master them it can be easy to quickly get one in your hand and pressure with it. Mega Man alsohas an excellent grab game, as his grab has surprisingly large range and is quite quick and tough to punish. Both his pummel and his throws do great damage. Bthrow and Uthrow kill at high percents.

My play style involves using pellets, metal blades, crash bombs, and leaf shields to do low/passive damage while weaving in and out, using all these options to change up my approach and make it unpredictable. I sometimes throw a MB to the ground and instathrow it for a quick 10%, or grab it so I can pressure with z-drop. When I get in close, I either grab, pummel and throw to lay in some real dsmage and reset to neutral, or I nair/fair to press my advantage. At mid-to-high percents I go for bair and utilt to kill.

I use his smashes mostly for reads and punishes. Fsmash is good for punishing people who commit to a double jump (if they don't have a reflector), usmash catches spot dodges and power shields, running usmash is a good punish for moves with long end lag, and dsmash catches people who try to roll toward you.

Last edited:

GenG

Smash Lord
Thank you for the tips. So far it seems that Megaman's is too complex and creative for a braindead like me. Most of the time I get so nervous that I forget about some of his tools and get myself stuck using the same attacks in a pattern. I'll keep playing him as a secondary character and asking for help from time to time since I still don't feel comfortable enough with him to take on most of the characters.

ArchmageMC

Smash Apprentice
Megaman isn't bad. Just abuse Metal Blade/CB/LS and play a Capt Falcon kinda grab game, except for the fast you Bthrow them off the stage instead of doing dthrow to air combo. (though I think megaman can Dthrow to Fair at low %) then chase with more MB and lemons, maybe a CB. Leaf Shield is OP for setting up grabs as it stuns them for like 8/12 frames when it hits them, so you can grab hem while they're in hitstun.

Metat Blade is a scary projectile. It does 6-10% damage. And when you only need 70-120% for a kill, yeah that adds up fast.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Am I weird for having a tough time dealing with :4ganondorf:?
He's SLOW and large, I shouldn't be having so much trouble against him. But for some reason, I fear him. I make more mistakes than I should against this character.

Just a Random Guy

Smash Cadet
Am I weird for having a tough time dealing with :4ganondorf:?
He's SLOW and large, I shouldn't be having so much trouble against him. But for some reason, I fear him. I make more mistakes than I should against this character.
Same here, Ganondorf meant nothing to me until I faced what seemed to be a pro player and good lord he kicked my butt. He knew what I was going to do hard punish me for that, I couln't even kill hin ONCE.

My advice is to punish as most as you can and play safe. wait until he uses side B, dodge and grab. you want him to be off stage as most as possible.
If I said something wrong please feel free to correct me

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
Don't be afraid to spam Ganon. Another matchup that your mentality should be "I won't let him hit me"

GenG

Smash Lord
I guess my problem was I wasn't picking the blade as much as I should. In the past day I won a lot of matches in For Glory thanks to it and now I always try to have one at all times. Z-dropping is too good; being able to create a falling hitbox and link it together with your own attacks or grabs for pressure is awesome, and you can grab it again with Z, nair or C-stick.

I fought a good Little Mac that at some point decided Fox would be good because his reflector and then I just started baiting the reflector, then Z-dropping the blade and fair-ing or grabbing him.

Last edited:

KevJames

Smash Apprentice
As someone who's played a lot of Falco in past iterations of Smash, I can't help but feel Megaman would suit my playstyle. I'm not saying Falco and Megaman have similar playstyles (but if they do, please feel free to correct me). Lasers was a big reason why I enjoyed Falco; the ability to interrupt movement, flow and options of the opponent really appealed to me. Now that lasers cannot fulfill that same satisfaction for me in Smash 4, I've tried to find something similar.

Watching Megaman video's reminds me a lot of lasers. Lemons. Metal blade. The ability to disrupt movement and approaches and punish the opponent for it. Regardless of that similarity and despite how much I would like to pick up Megaman, I believe his overall playstyle still does not fit me. I've always been attracted to mobility, and I feel sluggish when playing Megaman. I'm having most trouble against speedy characters such as Sonic and Sheik that just get into my face. After shooting out lemons and metal blade, I tend to try and rushdown/pressure my opponent. But due to Megaman's average ground speed I always get punished. Should I primarily just be spacing with lemons/metal blade and weaving in and out of the air with aerials when the opponent approaches?

ChopperDave

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3007-8077-4055
Watching Megaman video's reminds me a lot of lasers. Lemons. Metal blade. The ability to disrupt movement and approaches and punish the opponent for it. Regardless of that similarity and despite how much I would like to pick up Megaman, I believe his overall playstyle still does not fit me. I've always been attracted to mobility, and I feel sluggish when playing Megaman. I'm having most trouble against speedy characters such as Sonic and Sheik that just get into my face. After shooting out lemons and metal blade, I tend to try and rushdown/pressure my opponent. But due to Megaman's average ground speed I always get punished. Should I primarily just be spacing with lemons/metal blade and weaving in and out of the air with aerials when the opponent approaches?
I tend to find that Mega Man does best in the air, because he has nice horizontal air speed and strong fast fall. All of his moves can be b reversed and wave bounced, and Leaf Shield cancels his vertical momentum. So in the air he can really move in, out, up, and down in ways that even rushdown characters cant match. It's great for mind games and maintaining air superiority.

Mega Man also relies pretty heavily on traps to approach, or force approaches. It's important to learn how you can use Metal Blade (PARTICULARLY item metal blade throws and z-drops), leaf shield, and crash bomber in ways that create advantage for you and give you an opportunity to follow up with throws, aerials, and smash attacks.

ScAtt77

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ScAtt77
How do you guys DI out of Falcon's d-throw -> u-air strings? When should I realistically expect to get out of it? I feel as if eating 2-3 u-airs in a row is due to my own ignorance in Di'ing, rather than it being guaranteed. Of course, if it is guaranteed, then I'll just need to try to avoid the grab/ Falcon's u-airs more.

ArchmageMC

Smash Apprentice
How do you guys DI out of Falcon's d-throw -> u-air strings? When should I realistically expect to get out of it? I feel as if eating 2-3 u-airs in a row is due to my own ignorance in Di'ing, rather than it being guaranteed. Of course, if it is guaranteed, then I'll just need to try to avoid the grab/ Falcon's u-airs more.
The D-throw to uair combo is guaranteed if the Capt Falcon player is any good, you can't DI out of it, though DIing away from falcon gives you more time. The 2nd Uair you have to DI away from falcon when he hits you with the first Uair so you can air dodge the second as he goes to do it, but he might also hit you with this one too if your at specific %s. Basically most of falcon's uair combo strings are frame traps or true combos depending on %s up until about 80-90%, assuming he doesn't knee you.

Sorichuudo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1977-1410-9227
I know some people regard Megamans filt cross up as nothing more than a decent mix up,but I just wanted to share this video I got away with doing on a Bowser jr player on for glory,about a couple of days back,which gaved a couple of Lol's. XD

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HbdV8xAdAlI
Lol, that grab at the end, is like he is saying "Ok, cut that **** out!!".

Smog Frog

Smash Lord
alright, so i've been looking around for a secondary as a ganon main

mega man, d3, zard, and DK are my prospects for secondaries. would megaman be a good secondary pick?

ChopperDave

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3007-8077-4055
alright, so i've been looking around for a secondary as a ganon main

mega man, d3, zard, and DK are my prospects for secondaries. would megaman be a good secondary pick?
I guess? Mega Man is definitely the "differentest" character from Ganon's playstyle

Who do you generally have trouble with as Ganon? I'm not too familiar with his MUs in Smash4

Top Bottom