• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Consult Your Navigator - Mega Man Q&A Thread

Jackaraia

Smash Cadet
No probs. @ Fenrir VII Fenrir VII mentioned Fsmash. It's a decent kill option IMO but I don't think it can be used against decent-good players. Way too laggy IMO. It can only be used it you really hard-read a whiffed aerial and if someone is ledge camping (charged Fsmash kills if people are hanging on the ledge). It you miss it, you can be punished really easily so I'd suggest to use it very, very rarely. It has deceptively short range, too.
A quick F smash can catch someone off guard (as in the lowest charge time possible), and I'm eagerly awaiting the ability to quick smash that with the C stick on Wii U. This usually works if someone is rolling back into your general area/ spam rolling/ or just trying to rush you really quick to grab.

Abortion Doc

Smash Cadet
I might be the only one having trouble with this, but I'm having a tough time landing my Metal Blade to Up Tilt combos. How do other people go about successfully landing theirs? Do you short-hop or full-hop the metal blade? Do you target certain areas with your metal blade?

Deadlybroth

Smash Cadet
NNID
Rngo1214
3DS FC
3265-5101-5866
I might be the only one having trouble with this, but I'm having a tough time landing my Metal Blade to Up Tilt combos. How do other people go about successfully landing theirs? Do you short-hop or full-hop the metal blade? Do you target certain areas with your metal blade?
When you're about full hop height above the other guy, throw a metal blade down (not in item form) and then put in the input for an up-tilt to buffer it and it should be a guaranteed combo. You can practice this in training mode by jumping straight up right next to the cpu and throwing a metal blade downwards at the apex of the jump and doing the up-tilt, just to get the general timing and motion down. You can tell you did it right when it says it's a two hit combo in the top right corner and there's noticeable hitlag when you perform the up-tilt. If you want to learn how to do it in a more realistic scenario then you can start from a reasonable distance away and try to time the jump so that the apex is just in front of the cpu. Doing it with a diagonal metal blade is pretty much the same thing but with different timing and spacing, so it's a lot harder to pull off. But it is much more practical than the other two ways and is generally what I use to land kills. Just be careful not to use it too much because it can become a bit predictable and opponents will try to avoid it once you use it once. It works great as a mix-up though, because most people will expect a fair, bair, or nair.

Cheers

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys new to the mega man boards here. But I was just wondering would megamans playstyle appeal to someone that mained Snake in brawl?

DudeWynaut

Smash Rookie
Where can I go to exchange friend codes? I'm hooked on playing other Mega Mains right now!

Kapus

Smash Ace
NNID
Kaplus4
3DS FC
3626-0411-0921
Does anyone have any good suggestions for how to utilize Leaf Shield? It definitely doesn't seem useful when thrown, but it doesn't last long when kept as a shield. When would be a good time to use it?

EDIT: I scroll down a bit and find an entire topic dedicated to Leaf Shield. Whoops.

Last edited:

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
Hey guys new to the mega man boards here. But I was just wondering would megamans playstyle appeal to someone that mained Snake in brawl?
It did to me. Lots of mind games and his move set is similarly specialized. However, if you played Snake for his ftilt and DACUS, you might be disappointed.

Where can I go to exchange friend codes? I'm hooked on playing other Mega Mains right now!
There's a list of mega mains (magnet man). PM people, and you'll get some responses.

Abortion Doc

Smash Cadet
I've been working on incorporating Z-drop combos with metal blade into my game. So far I know I can combo z-drops into back-airs and uptilts/upsmashes.

Anyone else got pointers or useful tricks that begin with z-dropped MBs?

Just a Random Guy

Smash Cadet
So, I'm new to the competitive crew and I'm not that happy with my current megaman ( Trouble with zooning on fast chars) Any tips on how to improove in both ways?

Azazel

Smash Journeyman
I've been working on incorporating Z-drop combos with metal blade into my game. So far I know I can combo z-drops into back-airs and uptilts/upsmashes.

Anyone else got pointers or useful tricks that begin with z-dropped MBs?
Don't Fish for Z-drop combos. You really should only use Metal Blades for Zoning
You should really only opt for a Z-drop Combo if your Opponent has gotten in and you haven't Expended your Metal Blade Zoning because a Metal blade in Hand limits your CQC options, so Z-drop Combo is your ONLY offensive option since megaman Has no Quick offensive Specials. If you're afraid of the opponent Predicting your Defensive options then go for a Z-drop combo.

Azazel

Smash Journeyman
So, I'm new to the competitive crew and I'm not that happy with my current megaman ( Trouble with zooning on fast chars) Any tips on how to improove in both ways?
Predict their Approach.
If they Don't have good projectiles they'll be force to approach you.
If it's Ground Approach, Lemon them. This beats Rolling and most other ground options. Beware of cross up rolls, Megaman doesn't have fast enough options to punish these. Especially Cross-up Roll > jab, which is very powerful against megaman.

If it's Aerial, Simply Shield. Opponents can't grab while in the air. Punish attacks on shield with Utilt, Usmash, Grab
Beware of getting baited. Punish what you know you can get, otherwise Re-position yourself.
Again beware of Cross-ups, if you see a cross-up comin' Fox trot away. this is a good position.
If you can predict a an aerial approach you can immediately snuff it with a Fair, drift away, Metal Blade, reposition yourself.

While you're Zoning from a Distance, use Metal Blade and Leafshield. Leafshield when thrown has High priority and Metal Blade in hand has Strong knockback. When they Shield your projectiles you may instinctively Roll, fearing a Punish, but this could get ugly. If they are smart they will Shield it and See how you react to their new position. BE smart here. if you get scared by their new Position and their potentially follow ups, they may predict your defensive options and you get damage. If you've been playing defensive try throwing out offensive options that can regain you stage control, such as Dash attack or Grab, otherwise mix up your defensive options, Roll, spot dodge, Dash away, Jump, Drift away. Megaman's air speed is pretty good so you can get away with just drifting away from alot of characters.

Also if you just don't know, just use Rush. You can air camp by continuously bouncing on rush. Fast Fall > Airdodge > land on rush > Airdodge is very hard catch. Use b-reverse Metal Blade to Shift your momentum and be tricky and not get juggled. Depending on the MU this could be THE go to option, for example Lil Mac Can't Chase you into the air and its hard to catch megaman's landings when you Nair > Fast Fall or B-reverse Metal Blade, or Double jump, and Slow characters can't keep up with your Air speed.

Ksn245

Smash Cadet
Is megamans pellets even that good? It doesnt have good knockback and the fact that it takes up his Nair and Ftilt really limits his close range options.

Azazel

Smash Journeyman
Is megamans pellets even that good? It doesnt have good knockback and the fact that it takes up his Nair and Ftilt really limits his close range options.
It's a Ranged Jab, Nothing more to say.
Also the CQC options he does have are decent.
  • Dtilt is Frame 4, and Cross-ups shield, can beat Grabs
  • Utilt is Frame 6 And Frame 5 Invincibility, can potentially beat grabs
  • Good grab.
  • Item (Metal Blade, Hyperbomb)
  • Dash attack Frame 8 and regain stage control, and crosses up shield
  • Rush coil Eject! to escape all CQC situations no problem
But yes the Lack of a super fast Jab does hurt megaman's CQC

Last edited:

-Champ-

Smash Apprentice
Q:
Are you able to z-drop his metal blade, and once your holding it as an item, are you able to throw and recatch it?
For instance, if your holding a metal blade, are you able to b-throw it and then recatch it with an aerial? This kinda move is usually used by chars like Toon Link.

Last edited:

Azazel

Smash Journeyman
Q:
Are you able to z-drop his metal blade, and once your holding it as an item, are you able to throw and recatch it?
For instance, if your holding a metal blade, are you able to b-throw it and then recatch it with an aerial? This kinda move is usually used by chars like Toon Link.
  1. Yes you can Z-Drop Metal Blade, Because of megaman hand position during jumps, it drops behind him.
  2. No it's too fast to Z-catch it after its thrown horizontally, But you can Down Throw and Z-catch/Aerial Catch it.

Last edited:

Azazel

Smash Journeyman
First of all Full-Hop Metal Blade
You may a misconception about the combo. you can only Sweet Spot Utilt at lower percents. you can only consistently Sweet Spot Utilt at lower percents. This is not go consistent Kill combo, at higher percents you'll only land the 12% sourspot.
Its only a combo If metal Blade hits twice. Throw Diagonally to increase the chance it'll hit twice. Also it does require moderate timing.
This Combo is over-rated. Just go for Full Hop > Metal Blade > Grab >
  1. B-Throw (11%)
  2. D-throw > Fair (12%)
Its safer and can catch people who shielded your Metal Blade. And it does the same amount of damage and more stage control.

Last edited:

intuitive2011

Smash Rookie
I'm completely new to the Smash Series, but I'm not new to fighting games at all. Having played the SF series for quite some time. Instantly, I fell in love with Megaman, hence why I decided to buy the game for the 3DS. With all of that being said, where should a beginner like me to go learn more about the insides of this wonderful game? And does general fighting game 'techniques' (probably not the right word for it) apply here? Things such as footsies, combos (I honesty don't understand the combo system in this game), anti airs, throws/tech throws/tick throws and FGC slang, ie being salty. Any advice would be greatly appreciated and welcomed.

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
First of all Full-Hop Metal Blade
You may a misconception about the combo. you can only Sweet Spot Utilt at lower percents. This is not a Kill combo, at higher percents you'll only land the 12% sourspot.
Its only a combo If metal Blade hits twice. Throw Diagonally to increase the chance it'll hit twice. Also it does require moderate timing.
This Combo is over-rated. Just go for Full Hop > Metal Blade > Grab >
  1. B-Throw (11%)
  2. D-throw > Fair (12%)
Its safer and can catch people who shielded your Metal Blade. And it does the same amount of damage and more stage control.
I've gotten the sweet spot a lot as a kill combo. It's not about whether it hits twice, it's just if it hits at all. When it hits and you're in position, it links to the uppercut because the knock back on the B-metal blade isnt very much. It might not work at like... 180% because they will get knocked back further, but it is a kill combo.

As for low %'s, don't use it. Use the grabs instead. Unless your opponent is over 40 or so %, landing a utilt will actually allow them to get a free hit on you.

@ Black Mantis Black Mantis - there's a thread dedicated to crash bomb setups. Metal blade follow ups link to about anything since it's a slow projectile. Metal blade --> grab is a common follow up. Yes, you can glide toss and there is also a thread dedicated to that as well. :p

Last edited:

Azazel

Smash Journeyman
As for low %'s, don't use it. Use the grabs instead. Unless your opponent is over 40 or so %, landing a utilt will actually allow them to get a free hit on you.

I've gotten the sweet spot a lot as a kill combo. It's not about whether it hits twice, it's just if it hits at all.
I was referring to Full Hop > Metal Blade. It is required to hit twice for Full Hop > Metal Blade at lower percents. it has enough hitstun to combo off one hit at about ~85%
Full Hop > Double jump > Metal blade has a bigger window to combo because
  1. You can reach Full Fall speed, then Metal Blade and keep up with it.
  2. Metal Blade's IASA is just after you land, avoiding the Hard land Lag and Buffered U-tilt can combo from the little hitstun of one Metal Blade
I'm sure you can get connect one hit utilt from 0% using the above
When it hits and you're in position, it links to the uppercut because the knock back on the B-metal blade isnt very much. It might not work at like... 180% because they will get knocked back further, but it is a kill combo.
You can kill combo but its DI dependent, and somewhat but signifcantly character dependent. It has perfectly vertical knockback so when it connects the opponent can choose to DI towards or away from you whether or not you hit their Front or Back hurtboxes And you can't react to their DI and Drift accordingly because you are about level with the MetaL Blade when it connects.

Last edited:

Deadlybroth

Smash Cadet
NNID
Rngo1214
3DS FC
3265-5101-5866
I'm completely new to the Smash Series, but I'm not new to fighting games at all. Having played the SF series for quite some time. Instantly, I fell in love with Megaman, hence why I decided to buy the game for the 3DS. With all of that being said, where should a beginner like me to go learn more about the insides of this wonderful game? And does general fighting game 'techniques' (probably not the right word for it) apply here? Things such as footsies, combos (I honesty don't understand the combo system in this game), anti airs, throws/tech throws/tick throws and FGC slang, ie being salty. Any advice would be greatly appreciated and welcomed.
Well, you're pretty much in the right place if you're looking into competitive smash. If you're confused about any terms, you can look them up in the Smash Dictionary, but otherwise, many fundamentals carry over from smash. Throws counter shields (blocking), calling people salty, etc.
The combos in this game are unlike any other, there isn't specifically a "combo engine", but rather an open-ended fighting system based on setups, follow-ups and reads. For example, Megaman has a very basic combo, dthrow > fair, which is a perfect example of a setup (dthrow) and a followup (fair). You don't have to use fair every time, are other followups, such as uair, and turnaround bair. But after that, depending on which followup, you can continue the combo with other moves based on your opponents reaction. You can throw out a Metal Blade and then run in with a dash grab and start another dthrow combo, or you can throw out a uair, or a pellet, etc. There are very few true combos that extend beyond 2-3 hits, so a lot of it is just knowing your options at any given moment and predicting your opponent's reaction.

Snailtopus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
JoeySnail
Sorry if I'm missing something here: what is CQC?

Also a technique I've been using: metal blade straight down > nair just before landing (to pick up the blade and send out a pellet) > toss the gear > dash attack (or grab) > (pummel) > follow up with whatever.

However I can't seem to insta-toss the gear like you could do with items in brawl. Is it possible in Smash 4?

Azazel

Smash Journeyman
Sorry if I'm missing something here: what is CQC?

Also a technique I've been using: metal blade straight down > nair just before landing (to pick up the blade and send out a pellet) > toss the gear > dash attack (or grab) > (pummel) > follow up with whatever.

However I can't seem to insta-toss the gear like you could do with items in brawl. Is it possible in Smash 4?
Insta toss aka Airdodge cancel item toss was patched. You can still simply just Zcatch metal blade instead of Nair. You can avoid the hard land animation by throwing teh metal blade as soon as you Zcatch it.

Dimmy

Smash Journeyman
At higher percents (150+), you can use the full hop blade but instead of uptilt just use upsmash its worked pretty reliably for me at percents where blade only combos into sourspot utilt, the upsmash will most likely kill.

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
When giving me advice from one of my gameplay videos in the video thread , somebody told me should have used the Metal Blade more to get more string openings. What strings can you from Metal Blades?

8-Bit Brawler

Smash Rookie
hey guys, just checking in with the news that ive found my main!

i am new to smash in general, and was trying to find a connection with my usual favourite characters like Link and Mario....but it wasnt clicking and it felt clunky and awkward.

Perusing the rest of the cast, i saw my ol' mate Megaman, and as my username suggests, i was around 10 years old or so when the original NES came out and Megaman series was a huge part of that.

So i gave him a whirl....and it felt like magic. my cumbersome play sharpened up, i had options from everywhere, and was able to play well in the air. i had been hacking away with other characters trying to force it, and this just felt so natural that i started smiling from ear to ear knowing id found my boy. got very excited and came rushing to these boards.

Now im very much a beginner. but having that initial spark and connection with my main seems important, and im going to put in some time learning his ways.

Thanks everyone for the great contributions in this thread and sub forum, its been a great help.

im off to change my avatar to another 8 bit hero

ScAtt77

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ScAtt77
Hey guys I'm kind of in a predicament with pellet spacing. I'm really used to just using f-tilt and short hopping/full hopping backwards with pellets. For a while, It was really safe and not so easy to punish. However, I feel as if characters with high mobility or high mobility moves are slowly finding ways around retreating pellet spacing (C. Falcon's running short hop u-air, Diddy's side-b, Sheik's bouncing fish). After jumping back with pellets, what are some applicable mix-ups to keep the blue bomber on the winning side?

MegaManLeo

Smash Rookie
NNID
MegaManLeo
Hey guys I'm kind of in a predicament with pellet spacing. I'm really used to just using f-tilt and short hopping/full hopping backwards with pellets. For a while, It was really safe and not so easy to punish. However, I feel as if characters with high mobility or high mobility moves are slowly finding ways around retreating pellet spacing (C. Falcon's running short hop u-air, Diddy's side-b, Sheik's bouncing fish). After jumping back with pellets, what are some applicable mix-ups to keep the blue bomber on the winning side?
I never have that kind of trouble because I usually land the sweet spot with the Mega Buster which causes quite the knockback which I then take advantage of.

8-Bit Brawler

Smash Rookie
hey guys, im totally new to smash, and ive read the megaman mega guide, the smash dictionary as well as all the main stickies on this MM board, on top of watching some great videos, but im stumped on throwing down and angled MB's.

seriously its doing my head in. can anyone explain it to me? im sure its an embarrassingly simple oversight on my part.

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
Essentially, you hit B without any direction, then you hit the direction you want to throw..

So B > down for downward and B > down right for that. Practice and you'll get it

ScAtt77

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ScAtt77
I never have that kind of trouble because I usually land the sweet spot with the Mega Buster which causes quite the knockback which I then take advantage of.
Usually, the attack in question is spaced well enough for them to avoid the sweetspot on the megabuster, or the attacl just outprioritizes the megabuster sweetspot. :l What ways can Megaman stay safe after jumping back with pellets?

Appledees

Smash Apprentice
How do you approach Diddy and Fox at all?

I'm finding it really difficult to do anything when they just move much faster than me and have so many more options at close range. Its hard to escape pressure too cause Megaman isn't too fast and I end up getting pressured badly. Lemons are my only safe option during the matchup but even then It doesn't feel like its enough.

Any help for these matchups would be great cause these are the only matchups were I feel like I'm at a complete loss on how to fight them

Top Bottom