• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Consistnacy.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
So basically, I am having trouble being consistent in my tech skill. All day today I was messing easy things up like L-canceling and waveshining ect. Anyways, after about 4 hours of playing horribly I switch to pika for like 10 matchs. I then take a break and come back and all of a sudden I am flatland infiniting my friends marth. I don't get it. No matter how much I practice, sometimes my tech skill just sucks. It seems like it takes WAY to long for me to warm up.

When I am playing well I feel like I can do anything and I keep that feeling..hmmm sort of like a high. But when I am playing bad it seems like I just can't fix my tech skill. And it really frustrates me :(. I want to be able to play a solid fox. This is hard when it takes 4 hours to warm up.

I know almost all of the match-ups really well, I have tons of tournament experience and play against good players/pros every week. Why can't I be consistent in my play? What more can I do to improve? I feel hopeless :(.

Any advice?

And so this thread isn't completely useless, why do you think some people are so consistent and other can shine at some points and then do horrible in others? What makes a player consistent? What sets someone up for failure? What mindset should you keep and is it important to have that mindset from the very first game?

Basically, I am stuck in my play and want to do better in tournaments.

Maybe you're bored of the game...?
I can't say I was making as many technical errors, but when I took a break from Fox, once I went back to him, I would play better because It would be funner. I'd feel more refreshed.

If it's just a mental thing, and not something with your controller, I'm not sure how to help out really. Sometimes, When I first start playing, my controller feels really heavy, and I can't do anything really. After a while I get used to it, and it doesn't happen every time.

I guess It just depends on how much fun you're having.

j00t

Smash Champion
I think this was the same thread I posted some days ago. I feel this way too - No matter how much I practice, I still suck at tech skill. I can't even do simple stuff like reverse thunders on command. It's pathetic. *sighs*

I truly believe it's a mental thing more than anything. When I start practicing I try to say to myself "Alright, time to get better at Smash. You will be good!", so on, so forth. When you mentally prepare yourself for success, you will see and experience improvement and success. Just keep practicing with this mindset and your practice sessions will become less and less time-consuming.

Also, don't let your love for the game fizzle out. My frustrations with my limited skill have diminished a lot because I decided to stop feeling bad for myself. I love this game, it's the best game I have ever played. And i'm going to focus on that so that I will become great. Never get bored with this game.

Shai Hulud

Smash Lord
If you have a very technical style and you play too much your hands will get tired and you will suck. If I play for a long time one day, then try to play the next day, my hands will be weak/sore and I fail miserably.

Also make sure you're alert mentally when you're playing. If I sleep too much or not enough or if I'm hungover my tech skill goes to ****.

When you practice tech skill it's better to do short sessions where you're trying to accomplish something specific, instead of just playing for a long time and doing random things. This may be obvious but it's not something I really realized until recently.

I think consistency is most related to your mental state. I'm not very consistent myself. I tend to play very poorly if I'm tired or feeling down. Sometimes I just don't care about the outcome of a particular match. When I'm alert and enjoying the game is when I play best, by far.

Oh and I'm not making Johns for why I suck. If I can't get over these obstacles then I don't deserve to win. But it's stupid to pretend the obstacles don't exist in the name of "no Johns" or something.

Brookman

Smash Hero
I think sometimes you can over-compensate by focusing TOO hard. I find that all that **** really just comes naturally, and if you focus on other things you won't even notice that you're doing every simple technical thing perfectly.

Also, if you are messing up don't let it bother you, that contributes to the problem. Or, just SD, restart the match, pause and take a breath. Try to stay relaxed.

Consistency is really an illusion. The trick is not to TRY to be technical, but to play simply, and to be reserved in your execution of technical feats of amazement. Especially in tournaments. You have to remember that in tournaments the goal is just to win. To win you have to play safely, "Don't get hit" comes to mind. It doesn't matter how technical you are. Simple things like waveshines up smash/grab. Up throw combos, spaced back airs, drill grab etc. This game is not a pissing contest.

Another key factor in consistency is confidence too, if you do mess up, you can't let it bother you.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Thanks for the help guys...

NG7

Smash Lord
Well I was gonna say just practice your tech skill abit, but then I remembered you're that guy always going on about SHDL, so scratch that.

If you're messing up simple stuff like l-cancel or WD, then it's probably as Brookman said; you're letting it get to you too much. Just focus on playing well and having fun. When I'm playing with my friends, when I lose a stock or something I crack a joke or say something else. Keeps it light you know? If you have fun when you're practicing, practicing will become easier, and you'll probably do even more of it.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I only practice when I play with other people. Practing by myself is boring and pointless...That is how I got so technical in the first place lol. But yeah I'm finding that if I am having fun and laughing and stuff with friends I play tons better.

Brookman

Smash Hero
I only ever practice when I play people too. It's kind of a double edge sword though, cause people are always just trying to beat me and I can't do the mindless tech skillz.

takieddine

Smash Master
you shouldnt need to be worrying about tech skill....

I play the game without thinking about it, and it just happens. You should be at the level where you don't have to think about it, just focus on your overall flow of movement and mindgames.

Oskurito

Smash Lord
So basically, I am having trouble being consistent in my tech skill. All day today I was messing easy things up like L-canceling and waveshining ect. Anyways, after about 4 hours of playing horribly I switch to pika for like 10 matchs. I then take a break and come back and all of a sudden I am flatland infiniting my friends marth. I don't get it. No matter how much I practice, sometimes my tech skill just sucks. It seems like it takes WAY to long for me to warm up.

When I am playing well I feel like I can do anything and I keep that feeling..hmmm sort of like a high. But when I am playing bad it seems like I just can't fix my tech skill. And it really frustrates me :(. I want to be able to play a solid fox. This is hard when it takes 4 hours to warm up.
QFT

I used to have the same problem. Remembering the way you do the techs helps a lot imo(the way you're used to move your fingers to do a certain tech).

Using a different controller can make you mess up too because you're not used to its stick sensibility. Sometimes is because some of the buttons are screwed(my L button was completely screwed I had to repair it 2 months ago, that's why I messed up some L-cancels and my waveshining was sucking, now I do it perfectly).

Basicly, blame your control instead of blaming yourself. I'm sure that your "Warming up time" will decrease with more practice(sadly but true).

Example: Last time I played with my friends (they were 5)the first match I lost to Nova's roy(lol. he doesn't even main roy). The rest of the matches I didn't lose/ I 4 stocked someone.But when I was starting playing with serious people I usually messed up my waveshines or L-cancels that's probably because I was nervous and I was just starting...(that's not your case I guess..)

Keep practicing and becoming better even if you think you've already reached the limit

Brookman

Smash Hero
I don't care if you have to plug your **** into the 2nd player slot, no controller johns. Obviously controllers don't function well forever. I hope you all recognize that for the sarcasm that it is, and have a good laugh while you're at it.

NG7

Smash Lord
OMG someone that can use colour tags properly lol

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
>_> It's not my controller XD. I never said anything about a controller did I? My controller is fine.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
...Or is it?
Did you try and do that thing to my controller again?

I TOLD YOU NOT TO DO THAT!

Now it's going to be all sticky and stuff. Thanks brookman.

Don't spill any more orange juice on my controller!

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
I'm not sure if this was intentional...

but I find it obscenely ironic that your thread title is spelled wrong.

Talking about not being consistant, naming the thread consistancy, then spelling it wrong. Am I the only one that finds that funny as hell?

I hope to God you intended to do that. :laugh:

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103

Talking about not being consistant, naming the thread consistancy, then spelling it wrong. Am I the only one that finds that funny as hell?

I misspelled it?

Of course I did lmao.

Brookman

Smash Hero
are you not on the standard swf skin? If not I understand, if not, the hex code for standard skin is 1f1f1f

Smilez

Smash Journeyman

Omg I noticed that too....I just decided not to post anything b/c he seemed "emo" about not being consistent. Oh and by the way, you spelled consistant wrong too....its spelled CONSISTENT w/ an "E". XD Too funny.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I am not emo at all lmao >_>. I'm generally a pretty happy person who just so happens to be bad at spelling XD.

S.O.S.

Smash Lord
i personally drink a beer 2 relax and stay calm at tournys. i was drunk as hell at oc2 and i did quite well. i finally lost 2 chu dat but i made it that far due 2 bing relaxed and having fun.

technomancer

Smash Champion
Remember, it takes about 2000 reps to begin to commit something to muscle memory, and up to 8000 to completely master it. Regular practice is the best way.

NG7

Smash Lord
That's interesting Technomancer.

Do you know if muscle memory can be hindered when a person is under pressure?

Blunted_object10

Smash Master
Omg I noticed that too....I just decided not to post anything b/c he seemed "emo" about not being consistent. Oh and by the way, you spelled consistant wrong too....its spelled CONSISTENT w/ an "E". XD Too funny.
American spelling is different then Candian spelling it is consistant in Canada and in USA it is consistent if im not mistaken..

And to contribute to the topic.. having fun and being culm in tournaments is the best way to do well.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
American spelling is different then Candian spelling it is consistant in Canada and in USA it is consistent if im not mistaken..

And to contribute to the topic.. having fun and being culm in tournaments is the best way to do well.
What is a culm?

firexemblemxpryde

Smash Lord
Actually, I believe it is consistent in Canada, too. And consistency. I think that during the middle of a match, if you focus on what technical errors you are making, you are bound to be less fluid. I get on technical "highs" too, but the second I mess up 2-3 times in a row, I get frustrated. If you have committed something to muscle memory, so long as you aren't thinking about it, it should come easily and mistakes should be minimal.

Example: As of right this second, you have to think in order to breathe.

Top Bottom