• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Conquer That Mountain!! Ice Climbers Stage Talk/FAQ *Norfair*

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueTerrorist

Smash Ace

Welcome to the Ice Climbers stage discussion!! I haven't seen a thread like this here, so I decided to make one. Let's face it, in order to win, you need to know how to survive in a stage with the character you're using. This is what this is for, a look in the best stages, the worst stages, and how to survive in them. Here's something to get started on.

Battlefield

Description: Good old Battlefield, and as usual ICs do very well on neutrals. No changes or anything to get in the way of desynchs or CG's. However, opponents can easily use the platforms to camp and stay away from getting grabbed. This also means that they can use the platforms to get over any attempts at spam. You'll have to do quite alot of close range fighting most of the time (Provided you don't get camped alot :laugh:). Overall, they can still do good in this stage but it's certainly not the best.
Rating: 3/5

Smashville

Description: Smashville is a very good stage for ICs. Although there is that lone platform, it moves back and forth constantly so there is no worry of platform camping from opponents. In fact, ICs can utilize that platform if they want to. Not only that but, it can help them recover and wory less about getting gimped. Definitely one of ICs best stages.

Rating: 5/5

Yoshi's Island

Description: Once again, they don't do too bad. The platform is in the center and it teeters side to side, so getting platform camped isn't too big of an issue. This stage does have hilly terrain, so it could mess up chaingrabs if your not prepared. Support ghost could save you at times so that's a plus in the recovery department. Otherwise, ICs can handle themselves well here like all the neutrals :).

Rating: 4/5

Lylat Cruise

Description: Out of all the neutrals, this stage is the most hated. You have 3 platforms on top which makes it really easy to run away from ICs and camp. Add to the fact that slopes at the end of the ledges don't really help much (You can SD with Side B on them). Having a strong non-grab game is gonna help alot here. If you can avoid fighting here, do so.

Rating: 2/5

Final Destination

Description: Easily ICs second best stage. With no platforms, opponents have nowhere to run to to avoid grabs. They will have to be top notch at spacing to successfully keep ICs away in this stage. The only problem is that other characters like ROB has a superior projectile game and can camp ICs easily. Other than that, you should always have this stage as a option.

Rating: 4/5

Castle Siege

Description:

Norfair

Description: Soon..

DemonicTrilogy

Smash Lord
This stage is good in my opinion. It's a lot easier to go all the way under the stage without dying in case someone is edge guarding. The platforms can be nice and since the stage is flat, chain grabbing is good here.

Miller

Smash Lord
I think its a stage that an IC player should never counterpick on. You want a stage where its easy to do all your desyncs and cgs. An IC should always counterpick on Final or Smashville. Those are IC's best stages, no doubt about that. IC can manage on battlefield but your always at a major disadvantage because of those platforms.

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero
its a good stage, but the platforms do tend to get in the way sometimes. not my favorite, but still a fine stage.

Smasher89

Smash Lord
IC's uses platforms really well, so it´s a great stage for them, pressuring the opponent with blizzard and IB standing under a platform, and when the opponent approaches from above, just uair them. They can be played really "lame" on that stage, at least iot seems so IMO...

lain

Smash Master
Battlefield can be a horrible stage for IC's.

The reason? It's so easy to platform camp them here. Is there really more I must say?

lain

Smash Master
And with good reason.

It's pretty gay, but only Dedede really gets any gay usage out of it. Other characters can still platform camp, but not as effectively.

:colorful:

BlueTerrorist

Smash Ace
I guess it comes down to who your fighting in my opinion. I did some cool stuff with the platforms. However, it's hard to camp some characters here since they can just use the platforms. It's also hard to actually get grabs in due to opponents hanging out on the platforms. I'm neutral to this stage since I had some success with the stage. It's not like it screws your desynch game in any way :ohwell:.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
any stage with a flat bottom platform can be decent for ic's

battlefield ain't so bad as other stages

Miller

Smash Lord
any stage with a flat bottom platform can be decent for ic's

battlefield ain't so bad as other stages
Of course it isnt. But its still pretty bad. Just how people can try to run away all match can be a *****. Id say Delphino is a better pick then this for IC

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero
Of course it isnt. But its still pretty bad. Just how people can try to run away all match can be a *****. Id say Delphino is a better pick then this for IC
i like Delphino because it is continuously changing. the varied landscapes make for fun matches. thats also why i like The Summit so much.

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero
But its not if you yourself like the stage, its if the stage compliments IC well or not.
then for CG purposes, the main part of Delphino is pretty good, but its not much better than Battlefield except for the platforms can change positions each time it moves.

Miller

Smash Lord
then for CG purposes, the main part of Delphino is pretty good, but its not much better than Battlefield except for the platforms can change positions each time it moves.
Did you forget that 3 of the ground stages in delphino have walk of edges? Thats why it can be a godsend for IC.

DemonicTrilogy

Smash Lord
I'm not sure about Delphino... Most of the landscapes have little flat ground and no edges making spiking after CG's (easiest way to kill someone beside walking off the edge of the stage on the ground and throwing them into the death zones). I usually find this stage to be a slight pain.

Rykard

Smash Ace
battle field wins cause you can taunt on 2 platforms at the same time!

ok seriously though, i think its a neutral stage for them, nothing too great nothing too bad

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
I like Battlefield...the lowest part of the stage isn't too long, so you don't have to CG for long before doing a NT Spike.

Platform desynchs are fairly easy as well. Not much else to say about it. Not too bad, but not perfect for them.

BlueTerrorist

Smash Ace
I finally updated lol (School Johns :p). Anyway I'll try to update as soon as discussion about the stage is done ^_^.

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero
smashville is love. seriously, its got a great base platform for cgs, a floating platform that helps with recovering/ setting up to gimp recoveries. the sides aren't as weird as FD's edges (even though they are similar).

perfect stage imo. 5/5

Miller

Smash Lord
Smashville is their best stage IMO. The stage's length is perfect, not to long or short, gives them enough room to strut their stuff. People might say that the platform can be used against you. You can use the platform as much as them so its not a big deal. This should always be your counterpick.

BlueTerrorist

Smash Ace
I love Smashville too, it's one of my favorite Counterpicks for them. I assume everyone is in agreement that this is one of ICs best neutrals?

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
Smashville's great. It's either my favorite or second favorite neutral.

I think the way the platform moves is really problematic against some characters, but Smashville is still probably the stage I CP the most.

R1ngo

Smash Journeyman
i am not a fan of yoshi's, if i know i'm going to be playing ice climbers i first i ban it, the dip in the middle and the angled corners making chainthrowing and finishing chain throws difficult, the pivoting platform in the middle is a bit interesting but i dont' think it has a big effect on IC's game

DemonicTrilogy

Smash Lord
I like this stage a lot since Squall hammer doesn't get caught by any lips during recovery. It's still flat enough to chain grab and the platform is relatively harmless to my gameplay.

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
Yoshi's Island is my other favorite neutral. The hilly terrain is barely notable and the big platform messes with a lot of characters ability to approach the ICs from above. The platform also doesn't lend itself well to the ridiculous sort of camping that some characters can pull off on ICs on levels like Smashville, since it's stationary and is completely above the main stage.

However, I'm not terribly fond of Yoshi's against characters/players that have a very grounded playstyle.

JustNoOne

Smash Lord
Mehhh, Yoshi's Island is bad and good, it's flat to a certain degree but also there are curves and there are curves on the side of the stage, so if i'm looking for that stage spike, I would have to change my timing just to go other that hump. Also, that middle platform does not help as well, since it does shift from time to time, it also does mess up with the chaingrabs as well.

With the way the ice blocks move due to the stage; I only use the Ice Blocks if I'm at one end of the stage and my opponent is one the other.

Yer...

lain

Smash Master
IC's shine on smashville and FD.

they do ok on yoshi's, PS1, and battlefield, but there's just a lot of things that hinder them on those stages.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom