• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Conquer That Mountain!! Ice Climbers Stage Talk/FAQ *Norfair*

Status
Not open for further replies.

lain

Smash Master
Just the fact that there's a platform the size of the ground. : /

Allows for opponent to platform camp fairly well. Nothing too bad though.

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
I actually like the platform since camping below it really messes with some characters' approach options. Also, since the platform is pretty low and totally over the main stage, punishing platform camping against most characters usually isn't too hard as long you don't go for anything too risky.

lordterken

Smash Cadet
Yes smashville is ice climbers best stage i agree . I like the summit because it,s ice climbers main stage But it,s banned so oh well.

Funen1

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Funen1
I agree that Smashville and Final Destination are great for the Ice Climbers. Plenty of flat ground to do chain grabs and little to no platforms for the opponents to camp on/escape to.

I don't have as much success on Battlefield. It's good for the ICs if they can keep their opponent low for chain grabs or if the opponent is not so good in the air, but fast and/or aerial-based characters find it easy to platform camp. Something else I should note, if you position the ICs directly under someone on either of the lower platforms, a U-smash will barely make it through the platform and hit your opponent. Perhaps useful to catch platform campers off-guard if they get too close to you or are just starting to escape.

I find Yoshi's Island to be similar to Battlefield in compatibility with the ICs. The rotating platform is big enough to camp on (roll/jump/run/whatever to other end of platform) and is quite safe. The tilts in slope don't affect most of the ICs' moves that much, so the terrain is good for chain grabs. One thing I should note here is that Squall Hammer slides really easily off the somewhat steeply sloped edges. If used going toward the edge, you may throw yourself over, go into helpless-falling-mode and die if you can't control yourself properly approaching the edge. Obviously, good players won't need to worry about this.

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
Squall suicides happen too much on Lylat. I hate that stage now.

-_-;

lain

Smash Master
The only good thing about Lylat is that when you spike some characters (DK, Falco), they basically get ***** by the stage anyways (adding to their ****ty recovery problems).

but meh.

Funen1

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Funen1
The sloped edges are like the ones from Yoshi's Island - they make Squall Hammers slip over the side way too easily. And the platforms help opponents more than the Ice Climbers. At least there is still some room for chain grabs if you can catch the opponent.

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero
The sloped edges are like the ones from Yoshi's Island - they make Squall Hammers slip over the side way too easily. And the platforms help opponents more than the Ice Climbers. At least there is still some room for chain grabs if you can catch the opponent.
plus the stage tilts left and right constantly...

BlueTerrorist

Smash Ace
Update!! This is the last neutral before I start heading in to counterpicks. I'm already thinking about what stage to discuss next since I can tell this is going to go by quick :laugh:.

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero
ugh....FD... personally i can't stand it, but for the ICs its a fantastic stage. great for cgs, no where for them to hide, plus the ledges gimp just about anything.

5/5 in general, but on a personal scale i'd give it a 3 at best....

BlueTerrorist

Smash Ace
FD is pretty good. Though I wouldn't fight some characters there that can easily projectile camp ICs. Everyone else, it works wonders for me.

Funen1

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Funen1
A flat stage like this is great for chaingrabs, but even better for, as BlueTerrorist mentioned, projectile campers. While there are no aerial platforms to use, FD is wide enough to give campers plenty of room to, well, camp. Granted, if you are good with desynching, the Ice Climbers can do some form of projectile camping too. Other characters are better than them at it, but it can still work with the ICs.

K 2

Smash Lord
Fighting projectile campers can be a pain on FD. Other than that, IC's should be able to handle most characters on this stage. It's flat without an obstructions, so its perfect for CG's. IBL works well too since the stage is so effing long.

lain

Smash Master
as long as you aren't playing a falco, wolf, or other character who can be extremely homosexual with a projectile, this stage is ****.

and even with the projectiles, it's not that bad.

BlueTerrorist

Smash Ace
UPDATE!! After a long break, I will now be updating again. This time it's Castle Siege, I'll put my thoughts later.

Funen1

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Funen1
Castle Siege seems to combine a bunch of elements from other neutral stages, as well as adding some new ones. I'll divide this up for each section:

1st part - Similar to Battlefield in concept. Two floating platforms on either side of the stage allow more aerial-based characters to camp, avoiding your grabbing game altogether. However, the lack of a higher third platform means that you may be able to do a SH-aerial to disrupt them somewhat. The middle of the stage also has a slant in it, but I don't think it disturbs the ICs' grab that much (it may make D-throw chains harder when going down it, but that's all I can think of).

Transition parts - I'm putting all three of the stage transitions here for convenience. These shifting parts add something not seen in neutral stages: walk-off edges. Can you say "chaingrab through the blastline for an easy KO"? Depending on which stage you're switching to, there are two ways to perform here. If going to the second part, which also has walk-off edges, you can start an alt. F-throw chain during the transition and continue it until the target is KOed. If going to the third or first parts, which don't have walk-off edges, you can start a CG in the transition, forcing the enemy as close to the blastline as possible. Once the new stage is about to appear, knock the opponent away and hustle back to the platform. If the enemy isn't killed outright, you can set up an edgehog/guard once you recover.

2nd part - As described above, walk-off edges are great for CGs. As far as I can tell, the statues don't disrupt throws (correct me if I'm wrong, of course), so your grab game should be safe on the lowest level. However, this room also has many platforms, some of them high up, so aerial-based characters can avoid you with little to no effort.

3rd part - Back to the single floating platform idea here. This stage is about the size of Battlefield, leaving you some decent room for CGs. What makes this even better is that there are no extra platforms to escape to, making it a lot like FD (one of the ICs' best levels). The entire stage tilts somewhat, and there is a small bump on the left side, but these don't affect your grabbing game much either, just like the slant on the first section.

Overall, this is a pretty good one for the ICs. All three sections give enough room to make CGs practical, and the possibility of walking-CGs through blastlines can set up easy KOs. Extra platforms on the first and second portions of Castle Siege mean that enemies can more easily avoid being grabbed, although there are ways around that on the first section. On a side note, the transition parts may end up "saving" you if they appear right after you are knocked offstage (it will break your fall) - keep in mind that this can happen to your opponent too. Because the stages change enough to warrant slightly different strategies on each, long-term projectile camping is not very feasible, but desynching is still good for forcing the enemy to approach, setting up a possible shield-grab.

K 2

Smash Lord
The IC's fthrow CG is so cheap on the 2nd transition. I even mentioned it in my G&W stage discussion: Avoid IC's here, they can alt throw you to death.

Diddyknight

Smash Lord
Sh ice blocks at the begining of the level is just funny and helpful because the ice blocks lasts longer and it loooks flashy xD

Diddyknight

Smash Lord
first transfromation: stay to the left since the IB will create a barrier around you and when they do go up, free up-airs for you xD

2nd: stay under and try CG off stage

3rd....this is FD..but smaller

thats what i ido anyway...

ignore the fire

Smash Journeyman
I'll go by transformations...

-1st: Easy to camp and wait for 2nd transformation. Uneven ground doesn't help CGs. 2/5
-2nd: Easily the worst of the 3 transformations. They can just sit up in the hammock things and make you come to them. I wouldn't attempt a walk-off CG here, because if the stage transforms while you're near the edge, you lose your grab. 1/5
-3rd: The best transformation for ICs. Unfortunately, your opponent will probably be able to avoid a grab until the stage transforms to something that gives them an advantage. Even though there are no platforms, it's slanted, and this could even mess up a grab. 3/5
-Transformation Phase: I don't think this is even lasts long enough to consider, but I guess it's to your advantage. I've seen a DDD use a dthrow right when the ground disappeared, and it resulted in a spike... maybe we could find something creative here? LOL

Overall: Eh. I would avoid this stage. There's really only one transformation that gives you an advantage, and they could just avoid you until it changes again.

2/5

JustNoOne

Smash Lord
Castle Siege:

1st stage: (Startout) It's not that bad as it seems, but the place is small so you have a better chance of killing them with a CG spike rather than just CGing them, the platforms aren't that bad but since this s a very small map it's just badddddddddd.... 2/5

2nd stage: (Breakable statues) This is sooo GOOD, I like how the statues block out ice blocks when we need it and also the platforms are high <3 I love it how they can really camp the ICs here and you can get knocked out of the side easily :3 but you can do that to them as well xD 1.5/5

3rd stage: (FD wannabe stage) This map is sotra good, expect there's this little point in the middle of the stage where there's a ramp, it's okay. 3/5

Transision Stage: Easy CG, flat land, epicness, we don't need to worry and getting knocked off the stage and we have a easy time GCing them, but when the stage disappears, we sometimes might suicide >.> 4/5

Overall Score: 2.75/5 I'm kinda being nice xD

lain

Smash Master
I hate castle siege. With the overabundance of space on the 2nd transformation (hard to keep control of the match on **** like this), the obvious nuisance of transforming and possibly dying, and the general hardness to grab on the first two transformations. The only good transformation is the final one, but alas it is fleeting.

Generally people WON'T go to this stage simply for fear of IC cg'ing off the stage (which.... isn't really what would generally happen anyways ahaha), but some might think it a good idea simply because of the changes and the open space.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom