• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Connecticut Player Finder: We're better than you <3

Pakman

WWMD
BRoomer
I will concede that music in movies and TV is an art form. Music paired with the right image is a pretty powerful thing. However, film and television "writing" is not the same as reading a book. The writing is television does not have the same power as the writing in a book. As I stated before, reading a book gives you insight into HOW a character views a situation or scene not just WHAT they see.

HollaAtchaBoy

Smash Master

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I want to expect better of you, but I know not to
I ****ing hate arguing with both of you at once. I'm getting like nothing done at work XD
Improving at a game certainly is a form of intellectual stimulation... I guess... but it's not really what I'm talking about. No offense, but I do find it pretty sad that you have no interest in being engaged by art in any way other than getting better at games, which is about the most limited form of intellectual stimulation ever, because it ends when the game is turned off. Well, I guess practicing SF can help you... problem solve... irl... ?
wtf? first of all, we're talking about how one spends their free time. being engaged by art is one way that one can choose to spend their free time. playing competitive games is another, but i wouldn't consider it being engaged by art. the overlap is in intellectual stimulation, where I find I get a hell of a lot more from vidjo games than TV, but they're still distinctly different types of activities. and so we've now somehow gotten to you talking about how much better your apples are than my oranges.

"getting better at games, which is about the most limited form of intellectual stimulation ever, because it ends when the game is turned off"

this right here pretty much sums up why the argument is going to be fruitless because this couldn't be farther from the truth for me. thinking about games and how they work and why I won or lost accounts for a huge portion of why I enjoy gaming. maybe you just stop thinking about it when you turn it off or pack the board game up, but I continue to think about it and it's very intellectually stimulating to me for long periods of time after the game is long since packed up. maybe you do the same thing with lost, thinking about the characters and story and subtexts and speculating where it will go from there and that's all very stimulating to you, but just because a show can give you that sort of stimulation and games do not doesn't mean it's the same for everyone.

perhaps you're right brain dominated and creative and emotional stimulation are what really get you going and I'm left brain dominated and analytical and problem solving situations are what butter my biscuit.

I dunno, it's just becoming more and more apparent that the way we experience games and TV are vastly different and that's the root of this whole difference of opinions.

Watching IS doing. This is what I'm trying to say. But not to you, obviously.
yes, we clearly experience these activities in very different ways.

Feel free to suggest. >_>
I was just being a prick and mirroring what you were saying :p, I don't think you'd actually enjoy the games I enjoy because of the sort of time commitment they demand. League of Legends is my flavor of the past 4-5 months for whatever it's worth.

I will concede that music in movies and TV is an art form. Music paired with the right image is a pretty powerful thing. However, film and television "writing" is not the same as reading a book. The writing is television does not have the same power as the writing in a book. As I stated before, reading a book gives you insight into HOW a character views a situation or scene not just WHAT they see.
eh, now your argument's getting a little silly. the "power" of the writing in a book vs. in a screenplay is quite subjective. personally, I find books and film and tv and music to all be of the same mold. they're observational forms of entertainment, in which you are taking in someone else's art and appreciating it. I enjoy these in moderation, but I feel unfulfilled spending large amounts of time on them, which typically means that TV falls by the wayside because it demands the most time of me and I'm just not interested in spending my time on it.

wWw Dazwa

#BADMAN
"getting better at games, which is about the most limited form of intellectual stimulation ever, because it ends when the game is turned off"

this right here pretty much sums up why the argument is going to be fruitless because this couldn't be farther from the truth for me. thinking about games and how they work and why I won or lost accounts for a huge portion of why I enjoy gaming. maybe you just stop thinking about it when you turn it off or pack the board game up, but I continue to think about it and it's very intellectually stimulating to me for long periods of time after the game is long since packed up.
This. I've found it really scary just how often concepts that apply to competitive video games like Yomi or "mindgames" somehow sneak their way into daily life for me.

P. O. F.

Smash Ace
Count me out this week.

Same.

It's not viable for me to go there unless

-Cort and SPAWN are going

-A billion people want to play SF. Even then, most people play Xbox 360 version because they are scrubbbbbyyyyy.

I can just play Noodles, Swift, Jam, or really good players ive met online. Although Ibuki online is stupid. errr.

Bottom line: Not worth it for me to drive an hour to play like 4 people.

If anyone ever wants to play Melee, Brawl, SSF4, 3rd strike, Smash 64, whatever....let me know. I play nearly anything minus that horrible Blaz Balls. I kind of want to start polishing my ibuki in SF3 now...

noodles

Smash Champion
@ pof:

also everyone seems to be getting better at the same rate. so that new player who gets better, the players above him get better as well. the new player can hang with them, but hes still worse. (save a few exceptions of course)

:laugh:
That's how i feel haha

woot got my big assignments out of the way so graduation is an issue of just going to class XD

thumbswayup

Smash Master

Zombie Lucille Ball

Smash Master
Apples and oranges. they convey information/story different ways. Let's hug and be friends.

wtf? first of all, we're talking about how one spends their free time. being engaged by art is one way that one can choose to spend their free time. playing competitive games is another, but i wouldn't consider it being engaged by art. the overlap is in intellectual stimulation, where I find I get a hell of a lot more from vidjo games than TV, but they're still distinctly different types of activities. and so we've now somehow gotten to you talking about how much better your apples are than my oranges.

this right here pretty much sums up why the argument is going to be fruitless because this couldn't be farther from the truth for me. thinking about games and how they work and why I won or lost accounts for a huge portion of why I enjoy gaming. maybe you just stop thinking about it when you turn it off or pack the board game up, but I continue to think about it and it's very intellectually stimulating to me for long periods of time after the game is long since packed up. maybe you do the same thing with lost, thinking about the characters and story and subtexts and speculating where it will go from there and that's all very stimulating to you, but just because a show can give you that sort of stimulation and games do not doesn't mean it's the same for everyone.

perhaps you're right brain dominated and creative and emotional stimulation are what really get you going and I'm left brain dominated and analytical and problem solving situations are what butter my biscuit.

I dunno, it's just becoming more and more apparent that the way we experience games and TV are vastly different and that's the root of this whole difference of opinions.

yes, we clearly experience these activities in very different ways.

I was just being a prick and mirroring what you were saying :p, I don't think you'd actually enjoy the games I enjoy because of the sort of time commitment they demand. League of Legends is my flavor of the past 4-5 months for whatever it's worth.
I didn't mean when the game was literally turned off. Of course you can think about it after you turn it off, but my point was the thoughts you have about it are limited to the game itself, no? Whereas when I'm dwelling on Lost I'm not just thinking about what happened in the episode but pretentious sounding stuff such as existentialism, philosophical zombies and the nature of morality. :bee: Unless you're Dazwa of course. He uses sheik mindgames IRL so much it's scary.
But yeah I am like 95% right-brained.
Anyways I think we're on the same page. Apples and oranges blah blah

Just saw the Modern Warfare ep of Community (hadn't seen the show ever before). Holy **** I laughed my *** off. I died at the Predator reference.
BUT WOULDN'T YOU RATHER BE PLAYING A GAME WHERE PEOPLE SHOOT EACH OTHER INSTEAD THAT WAY YOU CAN CONTROLLL THE ARRTTTTT :p

If you haven't seen it yet:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxDlC7YV5is

****. GaGa and this kid are the business. Good stuff here.
O_o that was pretty awesome. alllll those background girls wanted him so bad lol

thumbswayup

Smash Master
BUT WOULDN'T YOU RATHER BE PLAYING A GAME WHERE PEOPLE SHOOT EACH OTHER INSTEAD THAT WAY YOU CAN CONTROLLL THE ARRTTTTT :p
LOL I just watched the ep again, I die every time paint bomb goes and off

Yoda isn't in episode 4.
HOLY **** I thought Empire was 4 when I typed that. FIVE I MEANT FIVE

wars not make one great

S l o X

Smash Champion
If I feel bad for you if you didn't watch at least 60% of the episodes of DBZ >_>

Then again when I was 7, you guys were like 15.

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I want to expect better of you, but I know not to
i rewatched 4-6 after the redlettermedia ep 2 review came out. 6 is pretty lacking and I still have no idea how any self respecting editor allowed the last scene in 4 to go uncut, but the end result was that I've decided to never acknowledge that 1-3 are actually star wars movies again.

EDIT: totally related, i ****ing love this comic

Hazygoose

Smash Lord
If I feel bad for you if you didn't watch at least 60% of the episodes of DBZ >_>

Then again when I was 7, you guys were like 15.
i think i watched everything up to the buu saga in mexico when i was like...9?
so you were probably 2. dang.
but yes, DBZ was awesome (mostly dumb, but there was plenty awesome in there) and i feel sad for anyone who missed out. it's like pokemon or legends of the hidden temple: i always speak about these things to people my age assuming they know as much as i do. sometimes they don't and that's fine. but sometimes people straight up go "who's olmec?," "what's a spirit bomb?," or "where's pewter city?" and i pretty much **** my pants.

SleepyK

Banned via Administration
lmao mogwai

also at least the comics and novels for star wars are pretty good

P. O. F.

Smash Ace
6 is pretty lacking

I've decided to never acknowledge that 1-3 are actually star wars movies again.
The problem with 6 is that there is waaayyyyyy too much going on at the end, the dialogue was pretty bad and I found that for its time it was pretty scrambly and jumpy. It lacked in plot walk through but the scenes and action were beyond amazing. The saber fight at the end was powerful, dramatic, and very twisty with the emperor interfering. Jabas palace was pretty fun with Boba Fett, Dengar, and 4-Lom making appearances yet again. The Ewoks are like the coolest concept EVER! lol. carrie fisher is hot as **** in the forest, and you see a softer side to Han finally after watching the other two. lol.

Empire Strikes Back is one of the greatest films of all time. Discuss.

Attack of the Clones isn't just a disappointment in terms of Star Wars, it's one of the worst pieces of **** I've ever seen
This. I didnt think Revenge of the Sith was too bad...but its still *** compared to 4-6 simply because the acting is 10X better.

If you haven't watch this whole thing: You Need To!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxKtZmQgxrI

I died laughing the first time I saw this. Watch the whole thing. Do it in spurts if you have to but remember everything. its hilarious.

Guile theme fits all. lol. I love the SF talk in this thread. yummy. I perfected someone else with ibuki today. Shes sooooo good.

S l o X

Smash Champion
i think i watched everything up to the buu saga in mexico when i was like...9?
so you were probably 2. dang.
but yes, DBZ was awesome (mostly dumb, but there was plenty awesome in there) and i feel sad for anyone who missed out. it's like pokemon or legends of the hidden temple: i always speak about these things to people my age assuming they know as much as i do. sometimes they don't and that's fine. but sometimes people straight up go "who's olmec?," "what's a spirit bomb?," or "where's pewter city?" and i pretty much **** my pants.
Dragonball Z and Pokemon were the two popular things around my neighborhood when I moved to CT. Never ever watched Nick outside of Rocket Power and Hey Arnold! I don't remember where Doug was from but I still have the tape to that movie.

lol @ me pc gaming at 8. speaking of pewter, i can't get there in HG. ;_;

wWw Dazwa

#BADMAN
Unless you're Dazwa of course. He uses sheik mindgames IRL so much it's scary.
I needle faked a passing car on my way to a smashfest today - it SD'd in fear.

Attack of the Clones isn't just a disappointment in terms of Star Wars, it's one of the worst pieces of **** I've ever seen
Star Wars Episode 2 Attack of the Clones is the worst thing ever made by a human.

Except for the bagpipes.

pockyD

Smash Legend
pakman, let's just consider one work: hamlet

Is it art if you read it as a book?

Is it art if you watch it as a play?

Is it art if you watch a video of the play?

Is it art if you watch it as a movie?

Is it art if it's something based on it but not quite? (i.e. the incredibly awesome "Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead", which itself can be experienced in all those forms, with the author also directing the movie)

As for TV shows, I still don't understand what you think differentiates it from movies in terms of artistic content... in fact, as far as character development and depth goes, I find that TV shows far exceed movies in that regard

Once again, maybe you don't enjoy it, but I'm certainly not impressed by, say, Jackson Pollock... that doesn't stop the Met from displaying his paintings as "art"

Top Bottom