• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Connecticut Player Finder: We're better than you <3

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
See, as awesome as storm is, it wasn't an inherently broken mechanic. Super powerful, yes, but not god tier. Look at cards like Wing Shards or whatever. Not exactly game-breaking. When you start making really good, cheap effects like Brain Freeze or Tendrils do you get into trouble.

Affinity is all about giving cards an alternative way to come into play and potentially free them of their proper casting cost. That's why it was broken. If you have a mechanic that fundamentally makes the mana cost of cards irrelevant, then it can easily become broken.

Hence Mind's Desire. >_>
Cascade .

Edit: Affinity wasn't half as bad as Cascade. It was something like this:

"Oh hai random M:tG player. How's it going? I'm going to play this here card, okay? It has the Cascade effect. Lemme start cycling through the cards in my deck. Well, would you look at that! A card that is equal to or less than the mana cost for the Cascade effect! I get to play it for free and, in turn, use its Cascade effect! Soon I'll be cycling through **** near my whole deck and if it's a stompy deck I'm playing I'll **** your ****. Kay? Kay."

Smooth Criminal

Octave

Smash Ace
I'm definitely looking forward to the fest later on. Everybody should bring like $5 and we can get some pizzas or chinese or something.

HollaAtchaBoy

Smash Master
Cascade was dumb, but it was only slightly less dumb than Affinity. Then again, I didn't play through Cascade so... yeah.

Also, I will bring some moneys for nommables, but I was actually intending on stopping at the McDonalds in New Britain on the way because I read that they're offering the McRib, which though it sounds kinda gross, it has a cult following and I kinda wanna try it just to say that I did, since it is such an elusive item.

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I want to expect better of you, but I know not to
Cascade .

Edit: Affinity wasn't half as bad as Cascade. It was something like this:

"Oh hai random M:tG player. How's it going? I'm going to play this here card, okay? It has the Cascade effect. Lemme start cycling through the cards in my deck. Well, would you look at that! A card that is equal to or less than the mana cost for the Cascade effect! I get to play it for free and, in turn, use its Cascade effect! Soon I'll be cycling through **** near my whole deck and if it's a stompy deck I'm playing I'll **** your ****. Kay? Kay."

Smooth Criminal
this doesn't sound that bad to me but I'm viewing it out of context since cascade is after my time.

affinity was a deck that ROUTINELY killed on turn 4 or 5 because it didn't require a combo or anything, it was just about vomiting your hand on turn 2 or 3 and then killing them with any number of obscenely efficient threats. And blinkmoth nexus was WAAYYYYYY too good. Cascade just sounds like a silly card-advantage mechanic that you know, at least requires mana and crap.

HollaAtchaBoy

Smash Master
Wes it's kinda like that. Cascade allows you to run through the top card of your deck until another Stompy (like, say, the famous Bloodbraid Elf) comes out, gets played, and you cascade again. Basically, it works by getting out all of your beatforce and then stacking your deck.

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I guess all I'm saying is that I'm sure Cascade is nasty and all, but looking at the mechanic, there is absolutely no way I can imagine it being as savage as Affinity short of something obviously broken out of it's mind like 1/1 cascades for 1 in each color such that every turn 1 was just 20 1/1 dudes lookin' you down, lol.

HollaAtchaBoy

Smash Master
Cascade relies more on control than affinity, classically. It had utility cards that weren't "I'm going to beat your face in" 4/4s or 2/2s for 0 or Draw 2 Cards for U.

EC_Joey

Smash Lord
I'm keeping my sig as a reminder of the glorious POF-free week we enjoyed.

HD 280 Pro

these: [Pic of headset]
Those look nice, but I'd be afraid of them putting too much pressure on my ears.

I have a big head. :c

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
blightning made 0 impact on the scene when it came out while I was still playing, lol. meh, I dunno, I guess it's pretty good in a control heavy metagame (preferably counter-light too), but when everyone's packing an aggressive deck, it tended to be underwhelming.

trademark0013

Smash Champion
See, as awesome as storm is, it wasn't an inherently broken mechanic. Super powerful, yes, but not god tier. Look at cards like Wing Shards or whatever. Not exactly game-breaking. When you start making really good, cheap effects like Brain Freeze or Tendrils do you get into trouble.

Affinity is all about giving cards an alternative way to come into play and potentially free them of their proper casting cost. That's why it was broken. If you have a mechanic that fundamentally makes the mana cost of cards irrelevant, then it can easily become broken.
na i wasnt arguing about brokenness. jus storm ***** face :)

mmmmm Type 1........

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I played BW aggro in an extended PTQ back around the time Dark Confidant came out and game 2 my opponent miraculously managed to go off with Mind's Desire through all my early disruption only to MD off of a storm count ~ 7-8 and have it all fizzle because all he got were more rituals, LOL. I felt pretty bad for the poor guy.

HollaAtchaBoy

Smash Master
LOL @ Octave thinking I was actually black.

Good seeing heads and actually Smashing with people for the first time in like a year and a half.

EDIT: IHOP opening at the Waterbury Mall! Wooooo

Hazygoose

Smash Lord
well i haven't heard back from jamil but i will be holding my smashfest tomorrow, sunday, from 4pm until midnightish or so. i'm not sure who plans to come other than rep and his crew, and possibly nick and evan, but everyone is invited to come chill. HOWEVER! we need tvs, i have 0 :\ but my neighbor might come, and a fellow Wes smasher if he stays on campus tomorrow, so we MIGHT have 2 tvs but i'd rather plan on other people bringing some just in case. so yeah.

address: 18 brainard ave, middletown
if you don't have my number, facebook pm me or pm me on here :D

HollaAtchaBoy

Smash Master
I may try to come for a little bit Hazy, since it's so close and the lady wants me out of the house for a while tomorrow.

PM me your number just in case, but I gotta ask if anyone has an RF Adapter for the Gamecube, since the TV I have has cable only.

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
well i haven't heard back from jamil but i will be holding my smashfest tomorrow, sunday, from 4pm until midnightish or so. i'm not sure who plans to come other than rep and his crew, and possibly nick and evan, but everyone is invited to come chill. HOWEVER! we need tvs, i have 0 :\ but my neighbor might come, and a fellow Wes smasher if he stays on campus tomorrow, so we MIGHT have 2 tvs but i'd rather plan on other people bringing some just in case. so yeah.

Woo! I don't have a TV to bring, but I should be showing up!
-DD

Hazygoose

Smash Lord
rep and his crew won't be around until like 8ish so i'm moving starting time up from 4pm to 5pm
but yes, i hope to see people there. if anyone is going through hartford, you should give stephen a ride. it's like 15-20 minutes from the hazy hizzy, and would be much appreciated :D

edit: so yeah...if someone wants to bring a tv in between 5 and 8 that'd be tight. otherwise i'm not sure smash can be played until rep gets here :\

also, razer is giving away free gear for a promotion. you should sign up. and you should use my link since it's one of those things where you can get a secondary prize for referring people.
http://l33t.razerzone.com/index.php?user_dtl=0b72a0bbede130d37255b8e34454733b

Budai578

Smash Apprentice
rep and his crew won't be around until like 8ish so i'm moving starting time up from 4pm to 5pm
but yes, i hope to see people there. if anyone is going through hartford, you should give stephen a ride. it's like 15-20 minutes from the hazy hizzy, and would be much appreciated :D

edit: so yeah...if someone wants to bring a tv in between 5 and 8 that'd be tight. otherwise i'm not sure smash can be played until rep gets here :\

also, razer is giving away free gear for a promotion. you should sign up. and you should use my link since it's one of those things where you can get a secondary prize for referring people.
http://l33t.razerzone.com/index.php?user_dtl=0b72a0bbede130d37255b8e34454733b
I think Ima go but I prolly won't get there til anytime between 6 and 8 (would probably have to leave by about 11 as well). I can bring multiple TVs though. Do you have more than 1 GC/Wii setup or should I bring one as well?

Also I signed up using that link. Can't pass up the chance to win free Razer stuff (using my spam email address anyway, hah!).

Octave

Smash Ace

:< I'd love to go but I have plans. feels kinda bad, man. :c

Top Bottom