• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Connecticut Player Finder: We're better than you <3

Pakman

WWMD
BRoomer
I always do.

I haven't been able to justify stealing crap since I graduated college and got a job that lets me pay money for the things I want.
What do you guys think of the "Online Pass" nonsense that retailers are thinking about implementing to combat Gamestop's used game market?

Zombie Lucille Ball

Smash Master
I always do.

I haven't been able to justify stealing crap since I graduated college and got a job that lets me pay money for the things I want.
I was kidding XD

Satoshi Kon died too young. He had so many trippy, beautifully-colored ideas to rehash and resell in different animes.
-_-

What do you guys think of the "Online Pass" nonsense that retailers are thinking about implementing to combat Gamestop's used game market?
What is that?

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I want to expect better of you, but I know not to
yea Pakman, I dunno what that is.

My favorite part of the post to Cog is this:
"I regard Cog the way I would the sort of stinking filth I might have to clean off my boots after a careless walk in a dog kennel"

:laugh: it's just genius, how the **** does that site do it?

Pakman

WWMD
BRoomer
I have heard some pretty decent arguments for both sides of used games argument.

I don't think this is the right way to do it, but companies do get pretty screwed from used games sales.

Unlike say a used car where after the car is sold the dealer and manufacturer don't really care what happens, a publisher is forced to monetarily support their online user base or risk a pretty big PR fiasco. Running large servers for games is not cheap and requires a fair amount of monitoring. Any person who buys a used game is utilizing this service that costs money to the publisher without the publisher making anything off of the sale.

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I have heard some pretty decent arguments for both sides of used games argument.

I don't think this is the right way to do it, but companies do get pretty screwed from used games sales.

Unlike say a used car where after the car is sold the dealer and manufacturer don't really care what happens, a publisher is forced to monetarily support their online user base or risk a pretty big PR fiasco. Running large servers for games is not cheap and requires a fair amount of monitoring. Any person who buys a used game is utilizing this service that costs money to the publisher without the publisher making anything off of the sale.
Um, the counter argument is pretty straight forward and I don't think I can possibly take the argument you put forth here seriously.

Person A buys the game. By doing this EA says they're going to support that person's online playing experience. If person A keeps the game forever, he's not paying an extra dime over playing it once and re-selling the game. Now, in the scenario where he re-sells the game and then Person B buys it, how is EA providing any extra support by supporting Person B playing the game forever from there rather than just supporting Player A from the offset. What the hell entitles them to make more money off of the owner of the game changing when it doesn't increase the number of players they need to support?

SleepyK

Banned via Administration
because they don't get new players added to the player base.

but it's stupid because anything requiring online = stupid

EDIT: oh, i just read it. I guess it's a sensible idea for sports games, but still an ugly idea

Pakman

WWMD
BRoomer
I don't really agree with the online pass. I am playing devil's advocate, because I don't think it is that far fetched because it is a business issue and not a logistics one.

Let's say online games are a concert. I buy a ticket to the concert. Turns out I don't like the show. I am not allowed to sell the remainder of my attendance to some guy so he can sell it to some other guy.

People sell games when they are done playing them and leave a vacancy on the server. When the number of vacancies gets above a certain threshold, they stop supporting the game because it is too costly. I imagine Microsoft stopped supporting the original XBOX's online system because the amount of people using it dipped below a certain point. Used game sales prolong the running of these servers without the influx of income to make justify the cost of online support.

Free bug fixes, patches and enhancements are paid for by game sales. It isn't a stretch of the imagination for companies to want compensation from people who didn't support them by buying their game used.

The bigger issue IMO is that GameStop is the entity that is responsible for the used games market but EA is taking it out on the consumer.

SleepyK

Banned via Administration
ok, i worded that too kindly.

they don't get more sales out of the game

Hazygoose

Smash Lord
one-in one-out doesn't add anyone to the player base. the used game market "hurts" developers (see: publishers) because everytime a used game is purchased, they obviously get no money. ea isn't the only company taking strides to combat this. thq is releasing their next wwe game (dunno if that also qualifies as a sport) with a one-time code that gives you additional download content.

whether it's only giving online playability to paying customers (to them at least, and yes, buying a used game does not make you a paying customer at all. what entitles them to make more money off person A? they made the ****ing game. what will this all do? curb used game sales? that satisfies their goal completely then.) or giving additional content to paying customers (this has been done similarly with pre-sales, etc, but in this case it is that fans of the company/game series/wrestling are getting perks for buying the game new.), these companies are just doing what makes sense in the realm of business. the problem with gamestop is that not only is it fueling the used games market but as the biggest game store it's also the best way for most any console game to be marketed/sold. that's got to be insanely frustrating for video game companies (and obviously competitors). not sure where i'm going with this, i should not smoke before like 8pm.

omfg 9 days. i am so pumped. anyone want to chill with sean and i saturday after i get settled in? no idea how long he'll stay and chill but i'll just be at wes and most of my friends at school aren't moving in until sunday :o

Octave

Smash Ace
afaik it's just us two. Spade (who has posted like twice ever) also attends, but he's nothing :3

But I'm garbage at Melee still, just so you know.

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
Good games today Noodles. If only I could stop dropping easy ultra combos lol

EDIT- As to the used games debate, I can see both sides of the argument. Someone brought up the point that publisher's have to maintain servers for online play, so using online passes to recoup that cost isn't entirely unreasonable.

However, when you get crackpots accusing people who buy used games of basically stealing, I tell those people to go to hell:

http://kotaku.com/5620280/thq-buying-used-games-is-cheating

AxelSlam

Smash Ace
Mur-mur-murder Capital Awesome Level: 9000+
I hate the FDA
<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/2fBdnwooOaw?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2fBdnwooOaw?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>
i finally watched this from undergroundwellness, but i'm still confused.
so he made a drug that basically cured cancer and no one knew or something?
;[

Pakman

WWMD
BRoomer
Basically his drug has significantly milder side effects than Chemo and has a higher success rate. The issue is that this one guy holds the patent rights to the treatment. The FDA are in bed with big Pharma so much, that they are making it ridiculously hard for this guy to get his miracle treatment approved, because if this stuff works all the money the pharmaceutical companies make from chemo and other cancer treatments is basically going to go way down.

The FDA did numerous underhanded things to mess with this guy's research. It can take a normal drugs months to a few years for approval. His has taken a decade and a half and might be one of the biggest medical breakthroughs of the century.

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=11044116#post11044116

just wanted to share some WC shenanigans with my EC homies

in other words i wanted pakman and mogwai to read it lol
I like how you conveniently left out that you got like $527367345985792845 from teams and singles and couldn't have possibly cared less about the match vs. Koryouu, lol.

EDIT- As to the used games debate, I can see both sides of the argument. Someone brought up the point that publisher's have to maintain servers for online play, so using online passes to recoup that cost isn't entirely unreasonable.

However, when you get crackpots accusing people who buy used games of basically stealing, I tell those people to go to hell:

I post a deal with it gif featuring a character from Star Trek the Next Generation and you don't even mention it... :(

Pakman

WWMD
BRoomer

I post a deal with it gif featuring a character from Reading Rainbow and you don't even mention it... :(
<marquee>Fixed</marquee>

Zombie Lucille Ball

Smash Master

That's downright unamerican. Borderline fascist.

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
I like how you conveniently left out that you got like $527367345985792845 from teams and singles and couldn't have possibly cared less about the match vs. Koryouu, lol.

I post a deal with it gif featuring a character from Star Trek the Next Generation and you don't even mention it... :(
I was doing you a favor. Once you get me started talking about Star Trek, it's pretty hard to get me to stop.

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
I was just lulling you into a false sense of security so that you wouldn't see it coming. You walked right into my trap!

P. O. F.

Smash Ace
Yun and yang are confirmed for ssf4.

Go to srk and look at one of the top articles.

Not excited for either of these characters....(waits for more hints for the other four.)

Pm me if you wanna talk sf. I'm not coming back to this thread.

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
I don't know, that seems kind of thin to call a confirmation.

Besides, with the way that most SF3 characters have transferred to 4 (read: horribly), I wouldn't be too excited either.

Top Bottom