• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Connecticut Player Finder: We're better than you <3

ZoSo

Smash Champion
It's kind of weird to adjust to the radical changes in tone between Miyazaki's films. Like, if you've only seen Princess Mononoke and Nausicaä, when you watch Totoro you're bound to have a few WTF moments. I don't know if this has been anybody else's experience, though.

Speaking of which, I'm glad I finally got to talk about the Nausicaä manga with somebody who's read the whole thing. ITS SO GOOD EVERYBODY READ IT OMFG

Zombie Lucille Ball

Smash Master
It's kind of weird to adjust to the radical changes in tone between Miyazaki's films. Like, if you've only seen Princess Mononoke and Nausicaä, when you watch Totoro you're bound to have a few WTF moments. I don't know if this has been anybody else's experience, though.
Solution? Watch all Ghibli films!

They can definitely be categorized, with the whimsical Spirited Away, Porco Rosso, Kiki's, Totoro, Pom Poko, Ponyo and The Cat Returns, the dramas Only Yesterday, I Can Hear the Sea, Grave of the Fireflies, and Whispers of the Heart to the fantasy Nausicaa, Laputa, and Mononoke...
Not sure where Lupin III fits in but it's ****ing awesome lol

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
Ponyo had Tina Fey as one of the voices in the dub, ****.

Then again, it was pretty lacking as far as conflict was concerned... ah well.
No conflict?! It was man v. nature!

Or little boy v. benevolent ocean spirits.

w/e.
-DD

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I want to expect better of you, but I know not to
well

The conflict was like, "omg, we need you to prove you love her enough for us to let her go and be a hooman!" Which was literally solved with the little boy being like, "yea, I do love ponyo." and then her mom was like, "*shrug*, that's good enough for me, conflict solved!"

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I want to expect better of you, but I know not to
lollllllll @ Mogwai...so true.

I had to just let myself be a 5 year old to enjoy it...which I did...but only because I just smiled like a giddy idiot for the duration of the movie XD

Princess Mononoke, on the other hand, was some good man vs. nature =D
agreed. I still enjoyed Ponyo throughout the movie, but at the end, I was like, "huh, that's it?"

Mononoke was pretty sweet.

SleepyK

Banned via Administration
I DID but now I can download it again if I want. Why, is that Wifi? If so, we should get it and play together. I'll make you good.
no offense pof and you are most definitely way better than i am at 2d fightans, but i will assume by "good" you mean "decent" or "casual"

lollllllll @ Mogwai...so true.

I had to just let myself be a 5 year old to enjoy it...which I did...but only because I just smiled like a giddy idiot for the duration of the movie XD

Princess Mononoke, on the other hand, was some good man vs. nature =D
there was a lot of smiling that day ;)

Cog have you still not seen Oldboy?!
no reading this spoiler cogpls
old boy's ending :( shoulda left out the last part and just had it end when the guy shoots himself

thumbswayup

Smash Master
uhg, oldboy is so disturbing at so many points...

i'm at the point in my life where I'm over enduring being disturbed for the sake of appreciating how well executed it was. if I could do it over again, I wouldn't watch Oldboy.
agdfuag;fgF

BUT
THE TWIST! It's one of the best I've ever seen. You aren't being disturbed just to appreciate execution, you're being disturbed to build up to the insane conclusion.

And saying you wouldn't watch Oldboy for that reason means you wouldn't watch a film like Alien.

no reading this spoiler cogpls
old boy's ending :( shoulda left out the last part and just had it end when the guy shoots himself
Agreed,
that extra bit was unnecessary.

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
agdfuag;fgF

BUT
THE TWIST! It's one of the best I've ever seen. You aren't being disturbed just to appreciate execution, you're being disturbed to build up to the insane conclusion.

And saying you wouldn't watch Oldboy for that reason means you wouldn't watch a film like Alien.

Agreed,
that extra bit was unnecessary.
>_> I have a feeling Oldboy isn't a Miyazaki creation?
-DD

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
Lalalala, giving Brawl Fox Melee Fox's NAir and BAir, lalalala.

Building Melee 2.0, lalalalalala.

-DD

Octave

Smash Ace
Lawl @ everyone answering.

:3 If anyone wants to come up the weekend of the 28th[Friday is the 29th], then that would be chill. If you guys give me enough of a heads up I'll try to get a couple spaces opened up and more TVs and ****.
Dan and I are interested. I think it'd do him good to get beat up by smashers that are better than him :> I think I'm supposed to be at my dad's house that weekend but I'll see what's going on and get back to you about it.

P. O. F.

Smash Ace
no offense pof and you are most definitely way better than i am at 2d fightans, but i will assume by "good" you mean "decent" or "casual"
Talk to Trademark, Bolt, and Pakman.

I'm not excellent by any means but I can pretty much use every character in SF IV well and i've been playing SF since I was like 8.

Pakmans Alex in 3rd Strike is pretty nice.

Nick-Are you goin to pound???

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon

I'm not excellent by any means but I can pretty much use every character in SF IV well and i've been playing SF since I was like 8.

*points at wrecked car*
*points at the wallet with moths flying out of it*
>.> Well, I just don't know how I'd get from here to there. Unless HAGs and Cope are going...I should ask them.

-DD

Octave

Smash Ace
Anyone playing any F2P MMOs? I can't find anything decent right now. Or, on the other hand, is anyone trying out Global Agenda ($50)?

SleepyK

Banned via Administration

you want me to ask three people who don't place in tournaments in their region?

once again no hate at all, but it's american nature to doubt somebody until they prove their mettle in tournament first.

P. O. F.

Smash Ace
you want me to ask three people who don't place in tournaments in their region?

once again no hate at all, but it's american nature to doubt somebody until they prove their mettle in tournament first.
If there were tournaments for SF IV around me, I'd go. Not too familiar with the SF IV scene in CT.

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
haha that their was...and LOL @ our food-sneaking abilities...still can't believe THIS
happened. [yes, that's a footlong, people...and no, I've just got regular khakis on o_O]

gahhh Old Boy is so good...I second what Thumbs said, Mogwai.
D: I wonder what else is a foot long in your pants!
-DD

Top Bottom