• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Connecticut Player Finder: We're better than you <3

S l o X

Smash Champion
Awesome to hear. I'll definitely take a look at my schedule and stuff to see if any of this can be setup sometime before the end of the month. (doubt it, colliding schedules and all and rides may be a problem for me)

Just uh....you know keep me up to date and I'm sure I can drop by sooner or later. lol huge thread here.

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
Wow. I knew of Tetsuya, but I had no idea how good he was. **** good.
DX Kinda amazing, surprised more people don't know about him...
-DD

ZoSo

Smash Champion
I think I remember Cort telling me he saw MoFo do waveshine > usmash for the first time at S4C (which was in August 2004) and it blew his mind.

Cort

Apple Head
No the first time I met Mofo was in like December-Feb 2003/4 and he was doing those 0-death no DI combos with Falco and flatland infiniting Marth on FD and

that's when I knew

he would be the one

S l o X

Smash Champion
lol 2am is not insomnia my friend
barely a normal bedtime round these parts :)
No. I just slept for the first time (at 2am last night) since Thursday night. killing floor, emulators and paranormal activity, thanks alot. lol I think I'm going to start another SCC for FFT:A.

P. O. F.

Smash Ace
So I totally just noticed a few things about Melee.

The only difference between mid and high level players is that they can just react better than others and they make less mistakes. Thats it. High level Melee is all about just not making mistakes. I know when each of us plays Melee we must say to ourselves at some point, "Ahh. I should have had that ____" insert dair, fsmash, shine....whatever. High level players do not miss opportunities to capitalize. On top of that, there tech chasing is better as well. When we watch matches of higher level players it all looks the same because those players are on the same level and it looks like a typical match but when you play them yourself, you really see a huge difference. I really think comboing has little to do with Melee. I think its more like "Oh you're going to jump here? Get baired....gimped. done." or "lol, nice recovery falcon...die." or "Cool Peach, trying to be all deceptive with your sweetspot recovery. Jump off fair dair!"

To me, Melee is all about tech chasing, edge guarding, and not making mistakes while doing those things. Fox is incredible because he sets up tech chases SOOOOOO fast with his shine and his uair to bair or uair BS is beyond simple to implement into your brain. Falco is awesome because he basically says, "Well, i'm going to shoot this laser because I want you to go HERE and then i'm going to combo the balls off of you. If i dont feel like pillaring you I can just set up a tech chase with my dair." Marths amazing because his gimp game and tech chase game is absolutely amazing.

Also I've been thinking about the tier list and I think it goes as follows:

Fox
Marth
Falco
Sheik
Jigs
Falcon
Peach
Ganon
IC's
Doc

bottom 4

Ness
Roy
Pichu
Kirby

Team tier list:

Fox
Jiggs
Peach
Sheik
Ganon
Falcon
Falco
Marth

I think Ganon is extremely underrated for teams. He kills fast, lives long because his recovery is very slow and often in teams you do not have time to edge guard him, can capitalize off of team grabs, spaces very well, etc.

Marth is very shaky in teams because he can get ***** really fast if he is not separated from his teammate. He relies on the 1 v 1. To me, his only perks are his ledge game (which gets halved in importance in teams) and his ability to get the grabs and punish grabs.

Fox and Peach are good because....i dont need to explain this.

Falco can save people w shine and really hold off opponents so his teammate can get out of trouble w lasers and what have you.

Falcons good because he kills nicely in teams and his recovery is not as bad in teams.

oh yeah and jigs. lol

Brookman

Smash Hero
I dunno, I'm not trying to be rude garrett, but all that **** you said is just so arbitrary and probably completely groundless and untrue in actual gameplay.

You didn't even put GW and luigi on your tierlist. I mean, GW has one of the best recovery moves in the game (imagine if you could direct it like fox's o.O) and both can capitilize on their partners grabs with moves like judgment hammer and dragon punch. etc etc etc.

S l o X

Smash Champion
I like the team tier list.
@Brookman
Theres not many high level players (I wouldn't know...) who play Luigi & GW. I can't think of three people who main Luigi and same goes for GW...it seems like his tier list is just the top w/e right now.

lolaesir.

ZoSo

Smash Champion
Garrett:

My punishment, tech chasing, execution, et cetera are all pro level, yet I'm not really all that good in a national sense. Conversely, Mango plays sloppy as fuck. He "messes up" all the time, yet he's the best player in the world.

I agree that reacting quickly and effectively is really important and I maintain that one should try to play by pure reaction as often as possible. It's also important to learn/reinforce good habits so you can react and punish without thinking (muscle memory). However, "not messing up" isn't enough against exceptional players.

At the highest levels of play, Melee is really all about adaptation and controlling space. You need to have strong fundamentals as well, but if you can't/won't adapt you'll never be really good. Similarly, your tech skill means shit if you're constantly letting your opponent push you to the edge.

Also, I think Marth is underrated, but difficult to play effectively, in teams.

wWw Dazwa

#BADMAN
Anyone remember that .gif of the spinning silhouette of a woman, and the description for it said it could be seen both clockwise and counter clockwise? There was a discussion of it quite awhile ago in this topic, and I just found this .gif that explains how it can spin both ways. I remember there were some who couldn't see it:

.=(Larx)=.

Smash Cadet
So I totally just noti *to save room* in teams and his recovery is not as bad in teams.

oh yeah and jigs. lol
is there a massmadness for melee on november 8th because I have to go to a meeting on the 7th. AND... NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO garret just no, down boy down.

Garrett:

I'm not really all that good in a national sense. *i like this part*.
I agree, i think falco is underrated in teams but difficult to play in teams.

Anyone remember that .gif of the spinning silhouette of a woman, and the description for it said it could be seen both clockwise and counter clockwise? There was a discussion of it quite awhile ago in this topic, and I just found this .gif that explains how it can spin both ways. I remember there were some who couldn't see it:

that's so amazing... now i only see it going back and forth :(

why would anyone take pof's posts about melee seriously?
Because he puts a lot of effort to write down his thoughts.

AxelSlam

Smash Ace
Mur-mur-murder Capital Awesome Level: 9000+

I finally see it now.

Top Bottom