• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Connecticut Player Finder: We're better than you <3

SleepyK

Banned via Administration
Why are you on a video game forum if you think all games within a genre are the same. Why did you decided to play melee and not stick with 64 if they are the same? Tekken poses a different challenge then Street Fighter. Tetris poses a different challenge than Dr. Mario. Halo poses a different challenge than Counter Strike. Games within genre's can be COMPLETELY different.

Saying that 3D fighters and 2d fighters are the same because they both involve people beating each other up is ********. I played Tekken competitively before smash and I would consider myself mediocre at 3rd Strike and all three games require immensely different styles, strategies and general approaches to the game.

I always found the GTA games similar, but you can't broaden that statement to genres.
lol rocked
yeah i don't know why you'd make more than one video to entertain people and showcase your playstyle.
Obviously smash bros is only about playing marth and assuming your opinion is fact
btdubs tribute videos are totally different than combo videos
not the same at all
zero similarities

String of combos set to music made by the combo-er
String of combos set to music made by a fan

these two things are totally unrelated and obviously the first one is unentertaining and pointless

Chum

Smash Apprentice
I personally saw him combo Fox and Marth enough in Shadow Claw. I truly do not understand why people make multiple combo videos. You make a combo video to say to people, "Look what I can do. Look what I can bring to the table in competitive play." When you make another combo video its almost as if you are bragging about how good you are in my opinion. No offence to Scar but I do not see not see a reason to produce another combo video. What is going to be different about this video as opposed to I Killed Mufasa? Less knees and more bair kills? Less dairs and more forward b spikes? I think we were all beyond impressed with I Killed Mufasa and do not need to see further proof of how sexy your falcon is. Once again, I'm not bashing you or insulting you Scar...I'm just saying I don't understand why people release multiple combo videos of themselves. I think tribute combo videos are fun and dandy though because they are made by other smashers as a sign of respect towards a group of smashers or one in particular. Examples- I.A.M.R.O.B.O.T, The Worlds Best, PC For President..
Um, they're fun to watch and I see them like a sequel to a movie. Also watching the same combo video multiple time can get boring. The new videos show new combos and stuff and just have a lot of "Oh ****" moments and they also build hype within the community.

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I want to expect better of you, but I know not to
I didn't read that part of PoF's post.

You guys who disagree with him are all dumb. No one's game ever develops, their combo video from 2009 will be exactly the same combos as the one from 2008 because that's how people's games work. For instance, this is the same PoF we play:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDjpN190o1w

nothing new, he might as well not post other matches.

Pakman

WWMD
BRoomer
And combo vids give you rep in the community. Scar was a little more than a nobody before IKM. Now he is regarded as one of the top falcons. Talent-wise he was probably one of the better falcons before IKM, but the video gave him celebrity status in the community.

Also, there is probably at least one person who started playing melee competitively after being inspired by watching IKM for the first time. And in the post brawl era that is really important.

Oh Girl made me look a lot better in the community. And the idea of a second combo vid isn't off the table.

Ryan-K

Smash Master
pof if all fighting games are the same then how come you aren't playing brawl instead of melee, brawl has way more people who play it, bigger tournaments, and more characters.

Same thing but more people, since all fighting games are the same right?

SleepyK

i challenge everyone to a shaq fu tournament
it's the same as melee right

Prince Of Fire

Smash Lord
http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=7112063&
Why are you on a video game forum if you think all games within a genre are the same. Why did you decided to play melee and not stick with 64 if they are the same? Tekken poses a different challenge then Street Fighter. Tetris poses a different challenge than Dr. Mario. Halo poses a different challenge than Counter Strike. Games within genre's can be COMPLETELY different.

Saying that 3D fighters and 2d fighters are the same because they both involve people beating each other up is ********. I played Tekken competitively before smash and I would consider myself mediocre at 3rd Strike and all three games require immensely different styles, strategies and general approaches to the game.

I always found the GTA games similar, but you can't broaden that statement to genres.
Tekken is all about side stepping. Street fighter is all about punishing aerials. Tetris and Dr. Mario are both the same in the sense that you make the blocks fit. They have different goals....but those goals are interrelated. Games within Gneres can be different AGREED but not by a huge margin.

Did you play Tekken 4? The only Tekken......BTW: Did you see the trailer for 6? It looks brilliant.

Sleepy-Yeah, duh. Of course tribute videos are completely different from user made combo videos. Obviously. If you read my post instead of drawing assumptions, you would recognize that.

Chum-You said that combo videos that follow the original made combo video could be viewed or looked at as a sequel to a movie, correct? Nine times out of ten the original is preffered and is often viewed as the best.

I personally enjoyed Taj's first and Scars first combo video....I don't see the same combos impressing me anymore than I already am. However, if Taj inserted him as Fox or him as Marth in the combo video...that's a different story because its something different. Same could be said about Scar...If I saw his Falco or something...I would be like "****, Scars got a really technical Falco as well. Good ****." I prefer to not watch the same combos twice. It would be like watching Childs Play II and then Childs Play III. He goes to camp....oh wait...now he is in a school. Its the same idea.

Sleepy-Stop being a tool.

SleepyK

pof why do you play more than one match of melee
it's the same thing every time nothing changes
in fact you might as well play rise of the robots since fighting games are the same thing

btw melee is all about hitting A and B and a trigger

also yeah, user created is completely unrelated to self made even if the same combos are used

ZoSo

Smash Champion
thats part of the process.

idk, speaking from a designers pov rather than an artists one might not help you out much. but like even in art class, teachers have you paint or draw certain things and so with more limits than others. but its your ability to be creative even with these limitations that makes you a tru artist. you cant just do the " make something from nothing/do what i want" thing all the time. sometimes you gotta do what you're told best you can and stil have it look amazing
Agreed. Funny thing about being a fine art major, you're often expected to find your own voice by imitating others/working within very defined boundaries.

People praise bands like Led Zepplin and Pink Floyd, but I find a lot of their music to be confusing and overly "trippy". Don't get me wrong, I really like Zep, but I feel like they are overrated.
I think Zeppelin is beyond overrated as well

Symphonic Zeppelin is incredible. London Orchestra all day.
I love Led Zeppelin (obviously), but I would agree that they're overrated in the sense that I don't think they're the single greatest thing ever to happen to rock music. Then again, it's easy for me to say that now in the year 2009. Four decades of hindsight can change a lot.

Symphonic Zeppelin was good.

I will say this much; everything after Physical Graffiti sucked except for MAYBE a few songs from Presence.

I am one of the biggest Pink Floyd fans you will ever meet though. I've read some books on them, own every album, and really know a lot about where there music was derived from. I still think Mother from the Wall live is probably my favorite guitar solo of all time. Most Floyd fans despise anything after Roger Waters left (The Division Bell, The Final Cut) but I find that stuff to be beyond awesome as well. If you haven't listen to the album Animals....do it. Arguably the best. and I can't stand wannabe pink floyd fans who praise The Wall and Wish You Were Here when they do not even know what The Wall is about haha
This is called being a snob. How is your appreciation of their music more meaningful than anybody else's? Call me crazy, but I don't think you need to understand where Roger was coming from to rock out to "Young Lust."

For the record, I love Pink Floyd to death and I idolize David Gilmour.

Prince Of Fire

Smash Lord
pof if all fighting games are the same then how come you aren't playing brawl instead of melee, brawl has way more people who play it, bigger tournaments, and more characters.

Same thing but more people, since all fighting games are the same right?
Melee is different from Brawl because Sakurai purposely went out of his way to dumb down that game and make it non competitive. Never has that been done in a SF, MK or any other fighting game. The wii is a family system and that is why Brawl was made into a piece of crap. To make everyone happy and on the same playing field. :) hence the four controllers, barriers in HRC, no leader boards for online play, auto sweet spotting, (yeah, you get the idea.)

Smash 64 and Melee are both competitive games that are the same focus but the characters feel different and melee is faster and feels much different.

Now most of you are not even debating, you're just throwing random crap out there. I have an answer for everything. Please, keep trying.

Dave-Trampled Underfoot and All My Love were pretty straight. I do agree that Coda and Presence were beyond weak though.

Everyone should just stop debating with me because you all know I won't stop. :)

SleepyK

dave why do you play guitar
all you do his hit strings
it's always the same thing nothing changes

actually pof if you played any other major game you'd realize that the current trend is to make games more user friendly so you can sell more copies

halo 3

"wow, we can make games for the hardcore audience and make some money or we can sell it to everyone and make HUGE PROFITS"

"I HATE PROFITS LETS GO HARDCORE"
sound business plan imo

thumbswayup

Smash Master
That's like saying Alien and Saw are the same because they both have the same idea in that they are both trying to scare you. Why see Alien once you've seen Saw, right? Too bad one's a masterful classic horror film and the other's a pathetic gorefest utilizing audience manipulation to get it's point across, therefore making it not scary at all and completely and utterly stupid.

SleepyK

Feeding trolls is funny because sometimes they actually believe what they type

SleepyK

darc is just the absense of light

mewtwo is a surprisingly technical character, particularly for a low tier.
If he wasn't so fat and light he would be pretty good.

Chum

Smash Apprentice
Chum-You said that combo videos that follow the original made combo video could be viewed or looked at as a sequel to a movie, correct? Nine times out of ten the original is preffered and is often viewed as the best.

I personally enjoyed Taj's first and Scars first combo video....I don't see the same combos impressing me anymore than I already am. However, if Taj inserted him as Fox or him as Marth in the combo video...that's a different story because its something different. Same could be said about Scar...If I saw his Falco or something...I would be like "****, Scars got a really technical Falco as well. Good ****." I prefer to not watch the same combos twice. It would be like watching Childs Play II and then Childs Play III. He goes to camp....oh wait...now he is in a school. Its the same idea.
Where did you get that statistic? I happen to like sequels alot it shows new stuff which is what I like. Too add to Pakman, these videos can draw people in, and with newer videos from known people ,like Scar, shows an active community in which people might want to join.

Scars video certainly drew me in to melee. I saw it in March and was like "Oh ****" then brawl came out and I forgot about it. I watched it again in August, then quit brawl and picked up melee.

Pakman

WWMD
BRoomer
Tekken is all about side stepping. Street fighter is all about punishing aerials. Tetris and Dr. Mario are both the same in the sense that you make the blocks fit. They have different goals....but those goals are interrelated. Games within Gneres can be different AGREED but not by a huge margin.
Tekken is all about juggles, set ups and tech traps. The only Street Fighter i play is 3rd Strike which is all about parry and punishment. But the point I made before is that the general strategies don't carry over. The concept of the game is the same, but the EXECUTION of that concept (aka the gameplay) is completely different. And if gameplay isn't the number 1 reason you play a game then you aren't playing for the right reasons.

Note: In the case of smash I would accept the community as the number 1 reason, but gameplay is a close second.

Did you play Tekken 4? The only Tekken......BTW: Did you see the trailer for 6? It looks brilliant.
Tekken wasn't a real competitive scene until 3/Tag era. T4 was by FAR the worst in the series, because it deviated from the formula. Previous tekkens were about juggling and setups, but T4 was about poking and stage/wall advantage. Tag was by far the best. Tekken 6 looks broken. There are 0-death's in a standard fighting game. I will be playing it though.

Scar's new combo video is going to have *gasp* NEW COMBOS. I have seen parts of it. He knees a fox at the ledge and ledge cancels it into a down air. It is the most jaw dropping 2-hit combo, I have ever seen. Like I said there is a complete difference between concept and execution. If the concept of a falcon combo video was all that mattered, then Clod Zero and Tapion are all you have to watch. The execution of the combo video is what differentiates them.

Generally they are , but not all sequels are bad. Spiderman 2, God Father 2, Secret of the Ooze, Clerks 2
Trolls 2...wait. Scar knows he has to outdo IKM and he will. Can't speak for Taj.

SleepyK

my favorite part is where pof talks about other games as if he plays them competitively and has an authoritative opinion on how to sum up said game.

Also the part where he sums up games.

mogwai is just, um..

argh

Prince Of Fire

Smash Lord
That's like saying Alien and Saw are the same because they both have the same idea in that they are both trying to scare you. Why see Alien once you've seen Saw, right? Too bad one's a masterful classic horror film and the other's a pathetic gorefest utilizing audience manipulation to get it's point across, therefore making it not scary at all and completely and utterly stupid.

Saw and Alien were too completely different films. Alien was more of a Sci Fi film as opposed to a horror film. For its time MAYBE a horror film. IMO Saw is definitely not a horror movie. It's beyond different from any horror movie. There is no one running around with an axe, saw, knife or any form of weapon killing people because he was hospitalized or whatever. It's basically a suspense film because you are trying to figure out "why?" he is doing what he is doing because if he wanted to just kill those people he could just throw them in that bathroom or whatever and do whatever he wanted to. He tests the frailty and will of human beings and gives them the chance to survive and at the same time, throws in a whole load of irony as well. The first saw is amazing...the others are disgraces. My father, HATES horror movies and HATES bloody scenes but absolutely loved the concept behind Saw. The concept behind Saw was different and it brought something new to the table. You just have to get past the unneccessary amount of blood and violence. I personally thought that the movie would be better have it not been so bloody. I definitely do see and could understand how people would not like the movie though, I can't say im 100% pro for Saw. It definitely has flaws.

SleepyK

Saw and Alien were too completely different films. Alien was more of a Sci Fi film as opposed to a horror film. For its time MAYBE a horror film. IMO Saw is definitely not a horror movie. It's beyond different from any horror movie. There is no one running around with an axe, saw, knife or any form of weapon killing people because he was hospitalized or whatever. It's basically a suspense film because you are trying to figure out "why?" he is doing what he is doing because if he wanted to just kill those people he could just throw them in that bathroom or whatever and do whatever he wanted to. He tests the frailty and will of human beings and gives them the chance to survive and at the same time, throws in a whole load of irony as well. The first saw is amazing...the others are disgraces. My father, HATES horror movies and HATES bloody scenes but absolutely loved the concept behind Saw. The concept behind Saw was different and it brought something new to the table. You just have to get past the unneccessary amount of blood and violence. I personally thought that the movie would be better have it not been so bloody.
Scary movie with aliens
Scary movie with gore

TOTALLY DIFFERENT AND UNRELATED

EC_Joey

Smash Lord
I personally saw him combo Fox and Marth enough in Shadow Claw. I truly do not understand why people make multiple combo videos. You make a combo video to say to people, "Look what I can do. Look what I can bring to the table in competitive play." When you make another combo video its almost as if you are bragging about how good you are in my opinion.
Some combos are once in a lifetime things, brought about by a lot of factors like DI, stage elements, and random stuff. Recording them and putting them in a video allows other people to enjoy how beautiful this game is. Even after 8 years we still haven't seen all the possibilities in Melee. The appeal of Taj's combo videos comes from the fact that we don't often see good Mewtwo gameplay, it's a refreshing change from watching top tiers going at it all the time.

If you're such a smart person than please tell me the major differences between GTA 4 and GTA San Andreas and I'll start taking you more seriously because I'm pretty sure they are both the same ****ing idea with new places to walk around, people to beat up, a few new cars, and the same missions but in a different order. Oh yeah I forgot, you can answer your cell phone and play horrible multiplayer games online. My bad.
GTA 4 goes beyond the previous games in the series in many ways.

Probably the most important aspect of this game is the storyline. The main character is like a real person, he is presented with situations and decisions that affect his sense of morality. He faces questions such as: What is the American Dream? Is family worth risking your life for, even if your family does the wrong thing? Is getting revenge worth selling your soul? The characters aren't two dimensional like in all the previous games. They all have their own personalities, motivations, and flaws.

A huge improvement over the previous games is the addition of a cover system. Hiding behind doors, walls, cars, trees, and other objects provides you with protection, and you can blind fire and jump from cover to shoot easily. This gave the game a huge improvement in gameplay. The previous games were all run and gun, and it was awkward to hide behind a corner for cover because the camera wouldn't let you see around the corner.

Apart from these, there are numerous, small improvements over the previous games. You have various modes of transportation available to you. Should you jack a parked car? Take the train? Hail a cab? The wanted system was revamped so that you must escape a radius of police activity and avoid being seen. The physics of the game were tweaked for more realism when driving vehicles. Radio news reports your most recent shenanigans.

GTA IV was a huge leap for the series, and is a more mature game. The previous installments were extremely cartoonish, and glorified crime, drugs, and violence. In GTA IV, violence is brutal, people are deceptive, and drugs lead to conflict and killing. Dismissing GTA IV as just another GTA game is a big mistake.

SleepyK

variola what are you talking about the game is exactly the same as gta 3 no changes at all

there is no depth to anything unless pof decides there is

grats mogwai.

It's kind of fun posting like daniel tong, but i might explode if i keep doing it.

Prince Of Fire

Smash Lord
Tekken wasn't a real competitive scene until 3/Tag era. T4 was by FAR the worst in the series, because it deviated from the formula. Previous tekkens were about juggling and setups, but T4 was about poking and stage/wall advantage. Tag was by far the best. Tekken 6 looks broken. There are 0-death's in a standard fighting game. I will be playing it though.

Generally they are , but not all sequels are bad. Spiderman 2, God Father 2, Secret of the Ooze, Clerks 2
Trolls 2...wait. Scar knows he has to outdo IKM and he will. Can't speak for Taj.
I started playing Tekken seriously at around 4. That's why I liked four...it was different than the other Tekkens. III, Tag, and 4 are my favs. Five was......horrible. I just liked how free you were to move around in 4.

I do also agree with the sequel statement you made....Sometimes there are exceptions. Can't argue that.

variola what are you talking about the game is exactly the same as gta 3 no changes at all

there is no depth to anything unless pof decides there is
Are you serious? Like really?

I'm going to class. Bye.

ZoSo

Smash Champion
Street fighter is all about punishing aerials.
Did you think about this at all before you typed it? What happens when people just stop jumping? Does every round go to a tie with both players at full life?

Dave-Trampled Underfoot and All My Love were pretty straight. I do agree that Coda and Presence were beyond weak though.
"Trampled Under Foot" is from Physical Graffiti.

Everyone should just stop debating with me because you all know I won't stop. :)
Did anybody else catch this? All my suspicions have been confirmed. Seriously.

dave why do you play guitar
all you do his hit strings
it's always the same thing nothing changes
Well I was gonna play oboe but when you think about it all you're doing is causing air particles to vibrate so it's pretty much exactly the same thing.

Pakman

WWMD
BRoomer
I started playing Tekken seriously at around 4. That's why I liked four...it was different than the other Tekkens. III, Tag, and 4 are my favs. Five was......horrible. I just liked how free you were to move around in 4.

I do also agree with the sequel statement you made....Sometimes there are exceptions. Can't argue that.

Are you serious? Like really?

I'm going to class. Bye.
Tekken MM? Any game after 3?

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I want to expect better of you, but I know not to

thumbswayup

Smash Master
Saw and Alien were too completely different films. Alien was more of a Sci Fi film as opposed to a horror film. For its time MAYBE a horror film. IMO Saw is definitely not a horror movie. It's beyond different from any horror movie. There is no one running around with an axe, saw, knife or any form of weapon killing people because he was hospitalized or whatever. It's basically a suspense film because you are trying to figure out "why?" he is doing what he is doing because if he wanted to just kill those people he could just throw them in that bathroom or whatever and do whatever he wanted to. He tests the frailty and will of human beings and gives them the chance to survive and at the same time, throws in a whole load of irony as well. The first saw is amazing...the others are disgraces. My father, HATES horror movies and HATES bloody scenes but absolutely loved the concept behind Saw. The concept behind Saw was different and it brought something new to the table. You just have to get past the unneccessary amount of blood and violence. I personally thought that the movie would be better have it not been so bloody.
The reason the Saw films fail so miserably is that their execution never meets the calibur of the concept. Take the first Saw for instance; on paper, the final twist is a great one.
Dead guy on the ground turns out to have been the killer the whole time listening in on these two men struggle to find a way out of their predicament.
But the way the script and the film get us to said twist is unbelievably atocrious. It's just scene after scene of pointless torture and the reasons for all this is NEVER explained. It's all non-sensical, the killer has no real motivation for doing any of these things. As Roger Ebert points out, "He is working entirely at the convience of the screenplay". You're led to believe certain things in the film because it FORCES it upon you and makes no other explanation available. Then later, you'll be legitimatly suprised by something because IT'S IMPOSSIBLE TO HAPPEN IN THE WORLD THEY'VE CREATED.

Worse still, so much of the film is contrived and you're being manipulated by the most pathetic scenes that are only there to make the ending work.

Don't even get me started on Saw II. Worst film I've seen in my life by far.

Top Bottom