• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Connecticut Player Finder: We're better than you <3

Chum

Smash Apprentice
No, actually, you couldn't. The message is either there or it's not, you can't just make up your own interpretations.
That's debatable. There is a method that critics use, I can't remember the name right now, but its basis is that if you see a message in any type of artwork, literature, etc then the message is there regardless of what anyone thinks. That even includes the creator of the piece. Robert Frost was a huge target for this because he always denied his works having any meaning but people still took stuff out of it. I don't agree with this method at all but it exists.

SEXY

Smash Cadet
^i agree about things being debatable but sometiems i wish who ever made the thing would give their reasons why they made it. hi btw chum :-P

soo since i got no response last time
i shall ask again
when is the RR thing being held again?
i needs to be informed
whats RR? <.<

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
^i agree about things being debatable but sometiems i wish who ever made the thing would give their reasons why they made it. hi btw chum :-P

whats RR? <.<
>_>Round Robin.

Marc said it would be 7/8th if its going to happen, small venue fee possible.
-DD

ErciChewman

Smash Ace
That's debatable. There is a method that critics use, I can't remember the name right now, but its basis is that if you see a message in any type of artwork, literature, etc then the message is there regardless of what anyone thinks. That even includes the creator of the piece. Robert Frost was a huge target for this because he always denied his works having any meaning but people still took stuff out of it. I don't agree with this method at all but it exists.

When talking about interpretation, it's important to realize two things. There are bad interpretations and there are good/correct interpretations. People are free, unfortunately, to interpret things however they wish (this is how religion was started). For example, most people will listen to a song like "Born in the U.S.A." and think "Man, this is a patriotic song", which would be a bad interpretation. A good interpretation would be that it's about Vietnam vets coming home and people hating them. So yeah, I can't account for that particular method, but that's really ********, because the message that Bruce Springstein wrote is the only one there that matters, otherwise, it's just Joe Blow's "message".

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
DD link me to this event! (if there is one, if not give me address). i need to stop being mopey and go out and meet people more :0
thanks DD, also yah, is it being held at the vernon place? or where
Vernon place.
Its not a posted event yet, Manny, its going to be used to draw up a quick PR for CT, because doing it in a tournament fashion would be awesome.
-DD

SEXY

Smash Cadet
lol more like Ren and Stimpy, or beavis and butthead

^do all those girls sing or do something or r like half of them there for the lulz? <.<

Chum

Smash Apprentice
When talking about interpretation, it's important to realize two things. There are bad interpretations and there are good/correct interpretations. People are free, unfortunately, to interpret things however they wish (this is how religion was started). For example, most people will listen to a song like "Born in the U.S.A." and think "Man, this is a patriotic song", which would be a bad interpretation. A good interpretation would be that it's about Vietnam vets coming home and people hating them. So yeah, I can't account for that particular method, but that's really ********, because the message that Bruce Springstein wrote is the only one there that matters, otherwise, it's just Joe Blow's "message".
I agree 100%, I was just saying that some people may see a message that the auther, etc didn't attend but they believe as long as they see the message it exists. I think is stupid, I even had an arguement with a my com 1102 professer about this, she basicly said that I was wrong and she is right because she has a doctorate >.>

ZoSo

Smash Champion
Besides, you don't go looking for art in a movie like Saw.
As opposed to a movie where people are brutally tortured and forced to eat feces. BUT IT'S OK BECAUSE IT'S A METAPHOR!!1

The list of ways for a director to convey a message are limitless, that's the beauty of art. It can be ugly, pretty, humorous, sad, scary, or even disgusting.
I agree 100%.

It's not his objective to shock you, shock just might be your reaction to the message he's conveying, he could care less if you're shocked. The metaphor is pretty direct if you watch the film instead of me just telling you one scene.
He could've conveyed his message a "limitless" number of ways, but he chose to convey it through shock value. Why would he do that unless he was trying to shock his audience?

I don't agree with that the slightest bit.

It's great that you think you know everything and all, but you can't speak for the entire artistic community.

What happens if the artist intentionally leaves their work open to interpretation?

Cort

Apple Head
I think that one of the only things I remember learning in school is your work is always left for interpretation regardless of what you initially wanted it to mean.

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
We're about to read Moby Dick in one of my classes. I wonder if Melville meant half the things people interpret it as.

noodles

Smash Champion
*wonders if im the only one that liked i am legend

also that show hajime np ippo dazwa talks about sometimes is really good. im only on episode 20 though

SPAWN

Smash Master
Slippi.gg
spaw#333
Bleach dubs are absolute crap. Why did dubs decide to go bad. :( Kenshin, Bebop, Trigun all had good dubs (imo). What happened? T_T

SPAWN

Smash Master
Slippi.gg
spaw#333
Me? I dunno where my phone is. Well actually it's most likely in my car. It's cold out though.

Laijin

Smash Hero
*wonders if im the only one that liked i am legend

also that show hajime np ippo dazwa talks about sometimes is really good. im only on episode 20 though
Ippo pisses Excellence.
It is by far the best series I have ever seen/read. It is over 20 years old and stays fresh and good all the way through..and it STILL has not ended or even shows signs of ending anytime soon even after 20 years.
Everyone should read and watch ippo. Its simply the best anime/manga around.

It even has the best boxing game out there. The victorious boxers series is known to be way deeper and realistic when it comes to actual boxing rather than the flashy and super graphical fight night series.

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I want to expect better of you, but I know not to
speaking of N64 combos, PC is like, really really good at that game, he kept death comboing me at sensei's tourney this weekend. That Sensei guy is also pretty decent at ssb64 =X

7th might be doable for me, 8th probably wouldn't work since I plan on going out with sensei and some TSAers for Sensei's 21st on the night of the 7th. My weekends are pretty busy though and I don't care about PRs, so people should not try to plan around me at all.

SleepyK

Banned via Administration
Ippo pisses Excellence.
It is by far the best series I have ever seen/read. It is over 20 years old and stays fresh and good all the way through..and it STILL has not ended or even shows signs of ending anytime soon even after 20 years.
Everyone should read and watch ippo. Its simply the best anime/manga around.

It even has the best boxing game out there. The victorious boxers series is known to be way deeper and realistic when it comes to actual boxing rather than the flashy and super graphical fight night series.
truest thing you've ever said

my fav of the 3d ffs was also 8.

ErciChewman

Smash Ace
As opposed to a movie where people are brutally tortured and forced to eat feces. BUT IT'S OK BECAUSE IT'S A METAPHOR!!1

He could've conveyed his message a "limitless" number of ways, but he chose to convey it through shock value. Why would he do that unless he was trying to shock his audience?
Yes, it is not only okay, but it's necessary. Stop saying he did it through "shock value" because you're simply wrong, he did it through the most necessary means ever captured on film. You clearly know nothing about the director. Stop arguing about a film you've never seen because you can't put what little I've revealed to you into context. It's necessary because in order to show people just how awful facism really is, you have do it in the most extreme and disgusting way possible, because that is what facism is. How easily people are quick to obey authority when they are afraid. How quickly they allow themselves to be ***** and sodomized and eat crap. If you don't show it in the most extreme way, then it discredits the directors true feelings toward facism, hence why it was NECESSARY. Also keep in mind that this film is based on truth. Things of this nature have literally been done in facism, so how can you deny someone from making a film about it, that's like saying Spielberg made Schindler's List for "shock value". You're still my favorite ginger, but i won't argue about this film anymore.

It's great that you think you know everything and all, but you can't speak for the entire artistic community.

What happens if the artist intentionally leaves their work open to interpretation?
I've been arguing with you about a film that is not open to any and all interpretation. OBVIOUSLY if an artist leaves their work entirely open to interpretation, then like I said, there are good interpretations, and stupid ones. It's all a matter of taste (which is a very sensitive subject, blah blah) But in the end, there is good taste and there is bad taste, and a little in between. This is all dependant upon aesthetic value. If an artist doesn't have a message to convey then it doesn't matter, as long as the person gained aesthetic value from it. But what I've been talking about is material that is not open to free interpretation, so if you're finding aesthetic value there that the artist didn't intend...then i'm calling that person an idiot. The guy who walks out of "Saw" and say's "you know, that was a great movie in relating torture with the rise and fall of the Roman Empire", is an idiot. Remember Billy Madison. Remember the Puppy Who Lost His Way....I rest my case.

Top Bottom