• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Connecticut Player Finder: We're better than you <3

SPAWN

Smash Master
Slippi.gg
spaw#333
No problem, haha.

Yeah, I played DJ nintendo and lost and I honestly tried (not full on homo gay like I did Jman this one time). Our last match was crazy haha. He should definitely approach as Mario. As soon as he did that when I was up ahead at the last 30 seconds of the match I got wrecked.

Nus, I did southwest for the latest date figuring the price would probably be the same, I'm up for hoteling it... if I can get work off.

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
Well, the Smash community has spoken. I'm certainly not going to take apart every single post that's been made and try to point out what I think is wrong with it, as that would get us nowhere. It's all personal preference in the end anyway, and my experiences have pushed me away from Smash and towards other games.

The one thing I will say is this:

Pakman said:
Stage choice adds to the complexity of the game, more so then it takes away from the balance.
I am inclined to concede this point, but some counterpicks do border on ridiculous.

trademark0013

Smash Champion
imo stages is the 2nd thing that makes smash different from any other fighter. its better than traditional ones where it doesnt matter. plus stages can make a bad character semi decent. in general very few characters actually benefit a lot from being on a certain stage.

pockyD

Smash Legend
It's all personal preference in the end anyway, and my experiences have pushed me away from Smash and towards other games.
then stop making authoritative-sounding statements like "Nothing will ever change that" and stating that smash is not a tournament game when all you mean is that YOU don't enjoy it in a tournament setting

SwiftBass

Smash Hero
who cares about stages and ****, DJ is DJ and spawn is spawn and by the graces of good himself, Spammerer is Spammerer y'all should get over it quit life all day with some moons over my hammy.

ppl can say what they want no need to tell ppl to stop saying anything son

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=teQ0WWvbjs0&feature=related

so uhh west coast is kinda getting awesome at commentary.

tiem to post a picture of somethin non-***

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
then stop making authoritative-sounding statements like "Nothing will ever change that" and stating that smash is not a tournament game when all you mean is that YOU don't enjoy it in a tournament setting
I'm pretty sure that I can speak authoritatively on why I don't want to play Smash anymore. Besides, it wasn't a post aimed at you, it was an answer to SleepyK's question.

If anyone is still interested in that Intellectual Property thing we were talking about a few weeks ago, AltF4Warrior started a great thread in the DH:

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=214870

SPAWN

Smash Master
Slippi.gg
spaw#333
I'm sorry Lil, I'll be sure to have a talk with him. :mad:

Jam, what games have you started playing competitively?

The Dragon

Smash Journeyman
me and jam play Guilty Gear Accent Core competitively as well, we have a tournament the 17th for it and were getting into Blazblue as well when it hits consoles

Hi GooseyHaze

SPAWN

Smash Master
Slippi.gg
spaw#333
<3 alexander

How do I get games onto my ds for free?

SPAWN

Smash Master
Slippi.gg
spaw#333
where would I go about finding this r4 and micro sd card...

SPAWN

Smash Master
Slippi.gg
spaw#333
Also, how does it work... you put the sd card in the r4 or something?

The Dragon

Smash Journeyman
yeah basically it comes with a usb card reader which you put the moded games onto the micro sd card, which you then play when you put said sd card into the r4 which is the size of a regular ds game and insert the r4 into the ds cart slot. You can also put music onto the ds making into an ipod as well. i love my r4

Hazygoose

Smash Lord
i love my r4...if you need help just IM me, marc, and i'll link you some stuffs.

and hai thar CT. i won't be there until september :(
but OK is throwing a 2-day brawl/melee tourny about a month before genesis, hoping to get lots of the WC people there who won't be traveling for genesis. plus southwest OOSers showed up with well over 100 people alone last time. so yeah, if you have too much money, or have some but not enough to go to cali...you should come to ohsnap late may and see me :) more details later...

for now, i leave you with this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUwhIaP6HKU&feature=channel_page
just watch the first 2 and a half minutes :)

-Darc-

Heir to the Monado
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.15613
BAM

http://www.meritline.com/pqi-4gb-micro-sdhc-memory-card-class6-2.html
BAM!
or
http://www.meritline.com/kingston-8gb-microsdhc-card-with-adapter-class4.html
BAM!

And if you need it.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.11294

bam.

All the DS games you want for $25
I have like 50 games on mine and it's only like half full. Using the 8 Gig

****. Just noticed the knocked up the price of the 8 gig. Oh welp let me try and find another link.

Found one.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001BLV78Q/ref=s9subs_c1_23_img1-rfc_p_si1

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
I demand a fest with Axel, Khaly, Sexy, Silas, etc.

Or we could just go to the mall and hang out and see a movie after :).
>=[

lets do the mall thing. its more casual. =D

dear nick - i will spend nearly an entire week with you at ct con.
at which point we can sex.
>=]

jeez. i sure hope someone intended on informing me of this chillage? sounds good tho. details on aim please. the fact that i saw this post was only coincidence.

or let's do the alex's house thing. more casual.
=D YEA~!

So the **** what if I camp hardcore? I don't give a **** if ya don't like the way I play or ya find it extremely annoying. Deal with it. My playing style since the beginning of smash has been defensive. It all also depends on the matchup and the person's playing style. Sometimes according to those things, I play aggressive at times like during the match or whatever. If anyone really doesn't like the way I play and I'm at the same tournament as the person, your best bet is to not join singles at all or have me completely separated from the bracket for that person. Not everyone is going to play to the way a person is used to and whatnot. You're gonna play people who have really gay playing styles or really gay counterpicks and annoying/gay tricks for their counterpick. I've played many people who have gayed the **** outta me with their playing styles and all this other **** and I didn't give a ****. Thats because they do what they gotta do to win. The **** I did to Spawn in tournament was really gay and annoying, but I'm not gonna give a **** or have sympathy for anyone when I play them in tournament. I play how I gotta play to win. I don't give a **** if a person even 4-stocks me in tournament due to my playing style. I'll be pissed but I'm just gonna try and beat them next time with a new playing style or whatever. The playstyle that Spawn had made me pick Jungle Japes. I don't pick Jungle Japes often, but I just had to for him. If ya don't like me spamming a million fireballs, oh the **** well. I don't do it all the time and I camp hardcore but not all the time. Remember guys, I've always been a mindgame player. I'm barely technical, even though I know how to do all the combos and stuff. This is what I be hating about the smash community though. Instead of confronting the person and telling them whatever, they gotta say it to other dudes on a random *** thread on the boards being mad *****. Its a ****ing game. You're gonna deal with gay *** **** from time to time. Stop being a bunch of ***** *** whining babies and just deal with it.
Lol that came out of nowhere. Made me lol.

such as what, jam?

and is it disenchanting because of things that simply bother you or over things in comparison to other fighting games?

I think it's time for another infraction from Dazwa.
Mogwai, are you opposed to piracy?
If so, go ahead and get GIMP
it's free and similar to PS
GIMP RAWKS.

I'm opposed to piracy... mostly...

I dunno, I'm mostly a huge hypocrite. I typically don't have a problem with other people pirating most stuff, but I don't do it myself. I dunno, I feel like I should have a bigger problem with other people pirating.

Also, your sig is sweet.
PS is worth the hypocrisy.

So who is going to Otakon and rooming with me? I already got my Connecticon room set and everything.
:O Info pl0x.

Haha, yeah, because after I beat your Fox I lost to your Sheik, M2K and G-Money's Marth, and Trademark's Peach. Nice!

@SleepyK: I'd be lying if I said I wasn't comparing Smash to other fighting games (namely Guilty Gear), but even without that comparison there are some significant and self-evident deficiencies in Smash in terms of tournament play.

When it all really started is of course when Brawl was released, but the more I refined my arguments against Brawl, the more I came to realize that the same indictments could be made against Melee. Brawl amplified alot of the more negative aspects of Melee (in a competitive sense; all my feelings are looking at Smash competitively), but that made me take a harder look at Melee and realize that those problems were there all along.

Throws were "fixed" in the transition from Smash 64 to Melee, right? Well, it's true that they no longer kill at such low percentages, but competitive Melee still relies very heavily on throws, maybe moreso than in Smash 64. We get to Brawl, and we have a character who's throws are so broken that they've resulted in stages being banned outright. Same problem, three different games.

Character balance has always been an issue in Smash. It doesn't matter who you are, you cannot win a major tournament as a mid-tier character. It's almost impossible. If you look at AZ's Smash 2007 thread, there is only one tournament win by a mid-tier listed there (Samus). An astute observer might point out that I'm applying 2008 tier lists to 2007 results, since back then ICs, Falcon and Jiggs were mid-tier. That only proves the point though: as soon as a character does better, it moves up in the list, to the place they belonged in the first place IMO. Jiggs' placing in the tier list may be debatable, but no one will ever win a major tournament with Melee's G&W or Brawl's Link. Some things have changed in Brawl's latest tier list, but it was primarily just reshuffling. The characters who were at the top still are, and the characters who are at the bottom still are. Nothing will ever change that.

Stages are completely broken. I remember reading a thread where M2K suggested that Mute City be banned, because the advantage that Jiggs receives is unfair. I didn't agree at the time, but it stuck in the back of my mind, and as I watched more matches I started to see he was right. True, Jiggs on Mute City doesn't break an entire game, but there are those types of counterpicks all across the game, where a player of equal skill is placed at a competitive disadvantage because of the stage. If we're trying to determine player skill, is it reasonable that stage selection can put the better player at a considerable disadvantage?

Stalling is the really big one though. I read through M2K's "Ban Ledgestalling" thread at first, but I didn't really get it because I had never seen it done. Then I watched the Brawl video where "Planking" occurred. I don't care what name anyone gives it: it's stalling. Then I saw how Sheik and Jiggs can do the same thing in Melee. Stages are banned because the game was designed in such a way that it's quite easy to run out the clock on a match. That is NOT a legitimate strategy. And before the inevitable football comparison comes along, consider this: you still have to make a first down to keep running out the clock. An interception can occur, a fumble can occur; basically, it may not be likely that the other team gets the ball, but it's still possible. With Planking, it's practically impossible to appoach MK. It IS impossible to hit a ledgestalling Sheik.

I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade here, and I certainly recognize the irony (if not outright hypocrisy) of posting this. Smash is still fun, and I still love it, but I've been deluding myself for years into thinking that it's actually a tournament game. I'm not going to stop playing it, because it's still fun. But I really don't see myself entering tournaments for it anymore.
>_> I was going to reply to this like everyone else did, but I'm in pain. Don't feel like it.

Smash is unlike any other game. So much so that calling it a "fighting game" like you call Street Fighter or Guilty Gear a fighting game is sort of misleading. I have minimal experience with Brawl, but when it comes to melee I have to say it is probably more of a tournament game then almost any other fighter. And a big part of this is because of DI and character weight. There are few cookie cutter combos that work on all characters. Everything you do requires reaction to DI and knockback. In other games if you know the first hit is going to hit, you could close your eyes to finish a combo.

Every Fighting game has a tier list. Top 3rd strike players play Ken and Chun Li. Top Tekken players played Jack 5 and Nina. (not sure about the current metagame). And sure you can't hit a ledge stalling sheik, but you can take her ledge if you time it right.

Stage choice adds to the complexity of the game, more so then it takes away from the balance.
>_> I was going to reply to this like everyone else did, but I'm in pain. Don't feel like it.

I'm going to CTcon I believe. If those CTcon bishes ever give me my free pass.

Has anyone here gotten a free pass from a video game tourney? If so tell me when they gave it to you because I don't want to like, expect a free pass and not pre-reg, then get there and not have one.
>_> Look on the CTCon forums or talk to the staff somehow. Khaly/Stephen are staff now, iirc, so they can hook you up probably.

The venue owner of Spawn's tournament pissed me off. He treated me like I was a ****ing child, and parts of whoever I was hanging out with at the time.
:O!

<3 alexander

How do I get games onto my ds for free?
>_> R4 sucks. Get CycloDS. Its what I have. Its neato, and they still update the firmware. I hear its DSi compatible too.

http://www.realhotstuff.com/cyclods-evolution-microsd-bundle-p-213.html

Its a good deal. I got that for Sandra and I.
Holds ~20 Games.

Also:
I've been absent since the tournament because I've had a "Flare Up".
>_> In other words, my disease decided to be a ***** and close up the part that connects my small intestine to my large intestine, which caused lots of pain, the inablilty to eat or drink, and having to regurgitate everything I had already eaten/drank. So I hopped over to the ER, while puking outside my dad's car window going down I95 at ~70 MPH. I thought it was hilarious when I was done. Poor car behind us. LOL. They hooked me up with morphine and vicoden and sent me home. ~_~. So, I'm still in pain, just sitting around waiting for the next wave, and I got some steriods again to try and take down the swelling faster. It kinda went down enough so I can drink, so yay no dehydration!

Lol. But yea, **** sucks. Maybe I can get out of doing my mid-terms with this. That would be cool, since I'm going to fail them if I do take them -____-;;.
-DD

-Darc-

Heir to the Monado
CycloDS is probably the best of the best IIRC, but it's more money. It has features and ****

both play games perfectly though

Desh

Smash Ace
i just got an r4 before i came to see you silly americans in your natural habitat wich is the exact same as mines.

wtf@ you guys getting it for like 25$ =[
i got mine for 40. T.T
i think thats like 30 canadian D:

can anyone recommend some sexy games to play while i be sexy and stuff? =D
i got crono trigger, FFT: a2, megaman gaemzzzz, mario kart 8D, new super mario hoez, the world ends with you (this game is ****ing ********, i got chased by demonic frogs from hell in the first 5 minutes. i killed them with pins that lit them on fire ), aannnddd... tetris ds.. (FFTTTWWW)

cyclods sounds like a drug if you dont say "cyclo -d -s"
teeeheee

Top Bottom