• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Connecticut Player Finder: We're better than you <3

Khaly

Smash Cadet
why cant we all just get along =[

smash drama is probably the worst type of drama you can have. lol

dear dazwa - you're going to have to edit the wall of text for multiple censor bypasses, XD

wWw Dazwa

#BADMAN
dear dazwa - you're going to have to edit the wall of text for multiple censor bypasses, XD
I was going to do that after work, but I apparently don't have work due to snow. TIME FOR DAZ TO GET CRACKIN

KRAKEN

edit:
*pound* DJN for playing to win though
*anti-pound* for not letting the censors do their job (it would've actually been easier for you to just type the words out >_>)
*pound* for Super Nintendo-ing at Spawn's thingy
*anti-pound* for no Mega Man X
*half-pound* for owning a copy though
*pound* for HUGE bowl of cereal.
*pound* for strange sunday morning in which we nodded at each other multiple times

THAT'S A TOTAL OF 2 AND A HALF POUNDS

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I want to expect better of you, but I know not to
dang dj. u good? i aint get that no one was complainin about the way u play. if i offended u i'm sry. u kno i love u
^ditto this^

I think he was responding to Jam's stuff maybe? I dunno, I don't think PoF, Trade or myself were trying to offend you at all (I know I wasn't).

>_>

Question, Mogwai:

You gonna pick up Starcraft 2 when it hits the shelves?

Smooth Criminal
I don't see why I wouldn't. I'm skeptical about whether it will be as awesome as the first one, but I generally have faith in Blizzard to put out quality games.

thumbswayup

Smash Master
LOL @ FireBatHero

I played DJ Nintendo's Bowser for a bit at the tourny and he did seem defensive, but nothing too campy. I mean, he mains Bowser and Mario, he can play however he wants to. At least he doesn't use a high tier and camp so it's understandable. I wish I got to play him a little longer, his Bowser is ****ing insane.

memphischains

Smash hhkj'
thumbs sonic boards.

i nominated you for secret brawl lover forever.
the TC is banned, so it is basically spam now but its still AWESOME. (not really, at all. **** my life... why do i keep going to that board)

but yeah i'm not cool

thumbswayup

Smash Master
LOL Memphis, which thread is this? I really hate perusing the Sonic boards. It forces me to stumble upon threads that are painful to read.

edit- found it. Man, I hate the Sonic boards lol

Anonymous.

Smash Lord
Me:
WHERE ARE YOU LOCATED?
God:
I am in Myself's computer in Heaven.
Where are you?
Me:
I AM IN HELL
God:
Tell me a little about your life in HELL.
Me:
IT SUCKS
God:
What is so bad about it?
Me:
ITS HELL
God:
I think you mean "it's" or "it is" not "its". Are you sure it is?
Me:
IT'S HELL
God:
HELL is HELL? it is?
Me:
YES
God:
How do you know it is?
Me:
BECAUSE I KNOW EVERYTHING
God:
That makes sense to me. You must be very intelligent.
Me:
YES I AM. GEORGE ZIMMER KNOWS ALL.
God:
Really interesting. That George is some hero.

Aesir

Smash Master
DJ's post is so true, you can get some good advise out of that ****.

But uh DJ being called a camper is good, especially if it wins you games. Though I'm sure no one here was trying to call you out on it.

It's ct ffs we all kinda don't care LOL.

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
It's nothing personal, DJ Nintendo. I don't know you, I've never talked to you, so I have no problem with you.

My gripe is with a fighting game that allows an 8-minute match to occur in the first place. Over the last few months I've become increasingly disenchanted with Smash in general. You're right; if it works, do it. It's also an incredibly gay way to play, but once again it worked. I'm not b1tching at you for breaking the game, I'm b1tching at the game for being broken in the first place.

thumbswayup

Smash Master
Camping in Melee isn't even close to being as effective as it is in Brawl. Just try to camp M2k and see what happens lol. I've never really ran into a player who camped me hardcore in Melee in tourny or friendlies. It just doesn't happen very often.

The Dragon

Smash Journeyman
hmm well we can set something up since i have a ps-2, i need to play that game the tournament is like 2 weekends from now, the 17th if i remember right, and i suck, that needs to change

SleepyK

Banned via Administration
It's nothing personal, DJ Nintendo. I don't know you, I've never talked to you, so I have no problem with you.

My gripe is with a fighting game that allows an 8-minute match to occur in the first place. Over the last few months I've become increasingly disenchanted with Smash in general. You're right; if it works, do it. It's also an incredibly gay way to play, but once again it worked. I'm not b1tching at you for breaking the game, I'm b1tching at the game for being broken in the first place.
Running out the timer is a legit strategy in most fighting games, lol. LET'S GO JUSTIIIIIN
Then again Bros isn't really a fighting game. I don't see how this kind of thing disenchants the game for you. There are ways around camping strategies.

SPAWN

Smash Master
Slippi.gg
spaw#333
DJ's bowser now scares me. I've never been gimped so many times as Sheik in teams. Let alone by a ****ing bowser geez.

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
Running out the timer is a legit strategy in most fighting games, lol. LET'S GO JUSTIIIIIN
Then again Bros isn't really a fighting game. I don't see how this kind of thing disenchants the game for you. There are ways around camping strategies.
It's a culmination of little things, not one big "AHA!" moment.

SPAWN

Smash Master
Slippi.gg
spaw#333
Jam, I'm really glad we got to play again. Those Icies are still way too good. Only good vs 1 top tier at a time, haha. <3

SleepyK

such as what, jam?

and is it disenchanting because of things that simply bother you or over things in comparison to other fighting games?

I think it's time for another infraction from Dazwa.
Mogwai, are you opposed to piracy?
If so, go ahead and get GIMP
it's free and similar to PS

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I want to expect better of you, but I know not to
I think it's time for another infraction from Dazwa.
Mogwai, are you opposed to piracy?
If so, go ahead and get GIMP
it's free and similar to PS
I'm opposed to piracy... mostly...

I dunno, I'm mostly a huge hypocrite. I typically don't have a problem with other people pirating most stuff, but I don't do it myself. I dunno, I feel like I should have a bigger problem with other people pirating.

Also, your sig is sweet.

SleepyK

ah, well, in that case, go ahead and google/download GIMP.
it's absolutely free and has many functions similar to PS
GO GET IT SON

WHAT ABOUT A CENSOR BYPASS

edit: lol crap. I am much worse at getting points than I thought I was.

BENSOR CYPASS

*****es and hoes?

*****?

SPAWN

Smash Master
Slippi.gg
spaw#333
I'll go, when is it and how much? Also, I cannot get a hold of V, what a jerk.

NusCirtap

Smash Ace
West Hartford, CT &lt;3 Asian Cuteness Level: 10
V went back to school I think. I dunno, the prereg isn't open yet, it's right near both pound venues so the flight should be the same as then. I dunno what hotel yet. -.- It's like, end of July or something.

Edit: Yes Thumbs, well, I am. So ****, we can meet then, you know what I look like kinda so find me out of the million people.

SPAWN

Smash Master
Slippi.gg
spaw#333
Okay, it'll be like $140 total or something. How would we get there after the flight though?

SPAWN

Smash Master
Slippi.gg
spaw#333
Thumbssss <333 It was awesome playing you!!!

Mods I hate you, ban me for this forum disrespect.

NusCirtap

Smash Ace
West Hartford, CT &lt;3 Asian Cuteness Level: 10
Are you hoteling it up? My gf/I might need roomies if I can't find friends here willing to fly with us or ones that will meet us down there.

Edit: I think it'll be cheaper, SW isn't even doing flights of July yet. But um, the shuttle thing right at the airport leads to it I think or some other path. When Lil/I went to Pound3, we passed it after riding something so yeah.

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
Jam, I'm really glad we got to play again. Those Icies are still way too good. Only good vs 1 top tier at a time, haha. <3
Haha, yeah, because after I beat your Fox I lost to your Sheik, M2K and G-Money's Marth, and Trademark's Peach. Nice!

@SleepyK: I'd be lying if I said I wasn't comparing Smash to other fighting games (namely Guilty Gear), but even without that comparison there are some significant and self-evident deficiencies in Smash in terms of tournament play.

When it all really started is of course when Brawl was released, but the more I refined my arguments against Brawl, the more I came to realize that the same indictments could be made against Melee. Brawl amplified alot of the more negative aspects of Melee (in a competitive sense; all my feelings are looking at Smash competitively), but that made me take a harder look at Melee and realize that those problems were there all along.

Throws were "fixed" in the transition from Smash 64 to Melee, right? Well, it's true that they no longer kill at such low percentages, but competitive Melee still relies very heavily on throws, maybe moreso than in Smash 64. We get to Brawl, and we have a character who's throws are so broken that they've resulted in stages being banned outright. Same problem, three different games.

Character balance has always been an issue in Smash. It doesn't matter who you are, you cannot win a major tournament as a mid-tier character. It's almost impossible. If you look at AZ's Smash 2007 thread, there is only one tournament win by a mid-tier listed there (Samus). An astute observer might point out that I'm applying 2008 tier lists to 2007 results, since back then ICs, Falcon and Jiggs were mid-tier. That only proves the point though: as soon as a character does better, it moves up in the list, to the place they belonged in the first place IMO. Jiggs' placing in the tier list may be debatable, but no one will ever win a major tournament with Melee's G&W or Brawl's Link. Some things have changed in Brawl's latest tier list, but it was primarily just reshuffling. The characters who were at the top still are, and the characters who are at the bottom still are. Nothing will ever change that.

Stages are completely broken. I remember reading a thread where M2K suggested that Mute City be banned, because the advantage that Jiggs receives is unfair. I didn't agree at the time, but it stuck in the back of my mind, and as I watched more matches I started to see he was right. True, Jiggs on Mute City doesn't break an entire game, but there are those types of counterpicks all across the game, where a player of equal skill is placed at a competitive disadvantage because of the stage. If we're trying to determine player skill, is it reasonable that stage selection can put the better player at a considerable disadvantage?

Stalling is the really big one though. I read through M2K's "Ban Ledgestalling" thread at first, but I didn't really get it because I had never seen it done. Then I watched the Brawl video where "Planking" occurred. I don't care what name anyone gives it: it's stalling. Then I saw how Sheik and Jiggs can do the same thing in Melee. Stages are banned because the game was designed in such a way that it's quite easy to run out the clock on a match. That is NOT a legitimate strategy. And before the inevitable football comparison comes along, consider this: you still have to make a first down to keep running out the clock. An interception can occur, a fumble can occur; basically, it may not be likely that the other team gets the ball, but it's still possible. With Planking, it's practically impossible to appoach MK. It IS impossible to hit a ledgestalling Sheik.

I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade here, and I certainly recognize the irony (if not outright hypocrisy) of posting this. Smash is still fun, and I still love it, but I've been deluding myself for years into thinking that it's actually a tournament game. I'm not going to stop playing it, because it's still fun. But I really don't see myself entering tournaments for it anymore.

Top Bottom