• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Congratulations, Min Min! ARMS character(s) for Smash discussion

Which character do think will be revealed in June?

• Spring Man

Votes: 54 16.3%
  • Ribbon Girl

Votes: 12 3.6%
  • Ninjara

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Mechanica

Votes: 2 0.6%
  • Master Mummy

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Min Min

Votes: 104 31.4%
  • Helix

Votes: 7 2.1%
  • Kid Cobra

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Byte & Barq

• Twintelle

Votes: 25 7.6%
  • Max Brass

Votes: 18 5.4%
  • Lola Pop

Votes: 7 2.1%
  • Spring Tron

• Misango

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dr. Coyle

Votes: 19 5.7%
  • Biff

Votes: 8 2.4%
  • Combination of 2 or more interchangeable characters

Votes: 66 19.9%
  • Other (specify in thread)

Votes: 3 0.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MattX20

Smash Hero
It's kinda tragic how Little Mac will be treated even worse once MinMin releases. Poor guy needs some buffs

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Not gonna lie, Min Min is my saltiest character so far in Ultimate's lifetime. More than Incineroar, more than Byleth.
Corrin was probably saltier, but that's Smash 4.
It's not that Min Min is that bad of a character, it's who she killed off.
Spring Man's shafting pretty much confirmed that Assist Trophies are dead, as he is the mascot of ARMS, and for the first time ever, the mascot was not the first playable character to represent the series. Chrom is a similar situation, but he's the mascot of Awakening rather than Fire Emblem as a whole.
Min Min also killed off Heihachi, one of my top 5, and that hurt.

Please do not mistake me for entitled. As I've always said, more characters is always a good thing, even if it's "Stick Man with moveset", but to me, Min Min is about as close to that stick man as possible. And the fact that I lost Spring Man, Shovel Knight, Heihachi, and Waluigi all in one blow makes this a very disappointing character for me.

But on the bright side, Doom Slayer is one of my most wanted, and he's looking pretty good right now.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Not gonna lie, Min Min is my saltiest character so far in Ultimate's lifetime. More than Incineroar, more than Byleth.
Spring Man's shafting pretty much confirmed that Assist Trophies are dead, as he is the mascot of ARMS, and for the first time ever, the mascot was not the first playable character to represent the series. Chrom is a similar situation, but he's the mascot of Awakening rather than Fire Emblem as a whole.

Please do not mistake me for entitled. As I've always said, more characters is always a good thing, even if it's "Stick Man with moveset", but to me, Min Min is about as close to that stick man as possible. And the fact that I lost Spring Man, Shovel Knight, Heihachi, and Waluigi all in one blow makes this a very disappointing character for me.

But on the bright side, Doom Slayer is one of my most wanted, and he's looking pretty good right now.
I don't think it was because of Spring Man's Assists. Sakurai asked Yabuki who he wanted, Yabuki wanted Min Min, and Yabuki got Min Min. Simple as that. Not once were Assist Trophies mentioned in the context of choosing a character.
I think ARMS is kinda like Pokemon in that some characters might get a bigger marketing push, but hypothetically you could choose anyone. You could say everyone in ARMS is the protagonist because there's no canon story mode; Even with antagonistic characters like Coyle and Springtron, they're still in the protagonist role because the story follows them (If you can say that's a story).

SwitchButton

Banned via Administration
Sakurai asked Yabuki who he wanted, Yabuki wanted Min Min, and Yabuki got Min Min.
I mean it's probably not literally how the selection worked. When Minmin was decided it was decided among a group of like 20 different Nintendo marketing execs and developers. I'm sure Yabuki and the ARMS development crew was a large part of the overall discussion but obviously wasn't the end all decider. I think it probably took a lot more then one man to convince the stubborn-headed Sakurai that Ninjara wasn't as popular worldwide as Minny.

At the end of the day Spring Man's still the mascot, and had he not been an assist trophy I have zero doubt in my mind that he would have been added. Minmin just caught a very VERY lucky break.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
I'm not certain about that. Yes Spring Man is the mascot but like I said in the Newcomer Speculation thread ARMS is young enough that it doesn't matter who they went with. Sakurai was even considering Ninjara. Imagine that timeline!

I think more than anything ARMS is absovled from any "rules". It's not a long standing franchise and you can get away with anything. In cases like Street Fighter, they had to go with Ryu, it would be absurd not to.

MarioDDR755

Smash Apprentice
The newness of it does help. So Nintendo, who made both ARMS and Smash, got to decide ultimately (ufu) that Spring Man(/Ribbon Girl) was the mascot of ARMS but Min Min would represent the series in Smash.

It's also the case that this is the first time Nintendo has had an ensemble fighter like ARMS be represented, and in such games each character is usually equally playable. So unlike with another fighting game like Street Fighter where Capcom would certainly prefer Ryu over Chun-Li, Nintendo could decide whoever they wanted to to be the face of ARMS in Smash.

Chaosmaster8753

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ChaoticZelos3578
3DS FC
2750-1187-7177
Could Min Min and Ninjara being the two choices mentioned be a mixture of popularity and which ARMS character could be workable in Smash's gameplay without the character specific abilities being either too broken or complicated along with implementing ARMS's gameplay in the first place?

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
I mean it's probably not literally how the selection worked. When Minmin was decided it was decided among a group of like 20 different Nintendo marketing execs and developers. I'm sure Yabuki and the ARMS development crew was a large part of the overall discussion but obviously wasn't the end all decider. I think it probably took a lot more then one man to convince the stubborn-headed Sakurai that Ninjara wasn't as popular worldwide as Minny.

At the end of the day Spring Man's still the mascot, and had he not been an assist trophy I have zero doubt in my mind that he would have been added. Minmin just caught a very VERY lucky break.
I don't understand how you can possibly tell yourself Yabuki's recommendation held little weight in the selection process.

Sakurai's team is using HIS characters from HIS game. His opinion matters the most. If Yabuki wanted Spring Man, we would have received Spring Man. The only way Spring Man would have been obviously decided on was if they planned him for Ultimate's launch, because he'd likely be the only character with a set design ready to use. His role as an assist trophy is irrelevant otherwise.
- - -

Except she didn't "kill off" any of those other assist trophies. Just because you refuse to consider Spring Man wasn't even in the running for reasons outside of being an existing element in the game, it doesn't mean they still couldn't choose to add a character like Shovel Knight or Waluigi. You did this to yourself posting that comment everyday, which was annoying to see so it is very vindictive to see backfire no offense.

Additionally, I'm pretty sure the Mascot of the Dragon Quest franchise is the Slime, the heroes are nameless protagonists. I'm pretty sure the Mascots of Final Fantasy are the Moogle and Chocobo, Cloud is the poster boy. Slime still got in Smash, so did Spring Man. Mogs aren't even in Smash, and the Chocobo hat has yet to appear.

and she didn't kill off heihachi namco bandai's whoever is gonna be the character that killed that off.

all in all, dont put all your eggs in one basket, just temper expectations. waluigi could be more probable than you give him credit for

Last edited:

Nap_

Smash Journeyman
Spring Man was already chosen for Smash among the others as an AT for ARMS and his role as a face of the series is still going. Min Min is a very special case, her popularity, staff bias, how the fighting games roster works as characters, Springo being an AT bringing at least a shadow of doubt and some other stuff aligned the stars very well for her, she still make sense as the ARMS rep. But mostly she was the director's pick.
Every character can be the main fighter of ARMS, sure, but we still understand the context and the reasons why we got Min Min and not Spring Man and , for example, Byte and Barq weren't an option.
People seems deligted with Min Min (me too), she's a very likeable character and looking at the overall reaction (probably bigger than if we got him), a very good choice, but Spring Man is still there. He picked the invitation first, he's in the illustration at the window, we got his home-stage and even Sakurai talked about how he is not the one. If someday another ARMS rep make it probably should be him, looking at how the things are right now. The poor guy get Chromed and Chrom eventually did it. :laugh:
We can agree that Min Min is a good choice but also a very special one, right?

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I'm not certain about that. Yes Spring Man is the mascot but like I said in the Newcomer Speculation thread ARMS is young enough that it doesn't matter who they went with. Sakurai was even considering Ninjara. Imagine that timeline!

I think more than anything ARMS is absovled from any "rules". It's not a long standing franchise and you can get away with anything. In cases like Street Fighter, they had to go with Ryu, it would be absurd not to.
Yeah, seriously. For the past several weeks this was pointed out, but every time this argument was treated like Cassandra. ARMS is not only young but pretty unusual by fighting game standards, even besides the fact that it plays like Virtual-On.

Proceleon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Proceleon
3DS FC
2423-2553-2839
Switch FC
SW-6226-7752-8603
I'm still disappointed with Min Min. Not anything against Min Min herself, there was just a lot of potential for a more interesting timeline.
As someone who watches a lot of YouTube wishlist videos, I do get tired of just seeing the same Geno, Waluigi, Paper Mario, Bandana Dee and whatever the Pokemon of the week is. Maybe a Rex or two occasionally.
From a speculation point of view it does get repetitive and boring to listen to the same characters and the same reasons over and over again. Imagine for a second that Spirits were off the table and imagine the amount of people that would be forced to think outside the box for the characters they want. The amount of obscure characters that would get their chance in the spotlight because of that would be wild and we'd actually see some variation in the predictions people would come up with. As the door closes on fan favourites, it would open for long-forgotten characters.
I just think the non-Spirit timeline would've been the more interesting place to live.

Regardless, I do think Min Min's a special case with regards to Spirits; I don't expect any other exceptions to be made.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
From a speculation point of view it does get repetitive and boring to listen to the same characters and the same reasons over and over again. Imagine for a second that Spirits were off the table and imagine the amount of people that would be forced to think outside the box for the characters they want. The amount of obscure characters that would get their chance in the spotlight because of that would be wild and we'd actually see some variation in the predictions people would come up with. As the door closes on fan favourites, it would open for long-forgotten characters.
I just think the non-Spirit timeline would've been the more interesting place to live.
Except even without spirits, there still will be repetitive choices. Did you not see those 84392732980 people thinking Crash will make it in? That's proof Smash fans will never not focus on a limited selection regardless of how likely Waluigi is.
I don't expect any other exceptions to be made.
You mean you HOPE there aren't.

Last edited:

Proceleon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Proceleon
3DS FC
2423-2553-2839
Switch FC
SW-6226-7752-8603
Except even without spirits, there still will be repetitive choices. Did you not see those 84392732980 people thinking Crash will make it in? That's proof Smash fans will never not focus on a limited selection regardless of how likely Waluigi is.
I was focusing on first party picks there. Third parties I understand, although yes, seeing Crash, Rayman, Sora and Master Chief does also get boring after a while.
You mean you HOPE there aren't.
I mean both, actually. I'd rather have someone unexpected from a personal point of view, but I'm also not expecting them to revisit any other Spirits to focus on new content.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Spring Man was already chosen for Smash among the others as an AT for ARMS and his role as a face of the series is still going. Min Min is a very special case, her popularity, staff bias, how the fighting games roster works as characters, Springo being an AT bringing at least a shadow of doubt and some other stuff aligned the stars very well for her, she still make sense as the ARMS rep. But mostly she was the director's pick.
Every character can be the main fighter of ARMS, sure, but we still understand the context and the reasons why we got Min Min and not Spring Man and , for example, Byte and Barq weren't an option.
People seems deligted with Min Min (me too), she's a very likeable character and looking at the overall reaction (probably bigger than if we got him), a very good choice, but Spring Man is still there. He picked the invitation first, he's in the illustration at the window, we got his home-stage and even Sakurai talked about how he is not the one. If someday another ARMS rep make it probably should be him, looking at how the things are right now. The poor guy get Chromed and Chrom eventually did it. :laugh:

well actually we have nothing to suggest that spring man was left out because he was an assist trophy thats just an assumption. we have nothing to suggest that sakurai ever considered anyone besides min min and ninjara. what you have to remember is that not all assist trophies are characters who didnt make the cut as playable. unless of course everyone thinks that the moon and a klaptrap were meant to be playable? i mean the whole reason why his chose spring man as the AT could have been because he spring man as the mascot like many of you do, but when it came to an actual fighter he asked who was the main character and was told anyone which meant he could put anyone in he wanted and as it happened the producer said to included one of the two he wanted to put in. there isnt anything to suggest springman was ever considered to be playable apart from everyone assuming he must have been

I'm still disappointed with Min Min. Not anything against Min Min herself, there was just a lot of potential for a more interesting timeline.
As someone who watches a lot of YouTube wishlist videos, I do get tired of just seeing the same Geno, Waluigi, Paper Mario, Bandana Dee and whatever the Pokemon of the week is. Maybe a Rex or two occasionally.

Regardless, I do think Min Min's a special case with regards to Spirits; I don't expect any other exceptions to be made.
think outside the box? all it takes to want a character in smash is to like the character and the only thing that you should ever expect to make people stop supporting the character is the character becoming playable. even if sakurai had said that spirits couldnt be playable that would not have meant people would have changed their wish lists, after all he said ridley was impossible but his support did not die down in any way.

also you do realize that sounds a little arrogant? basically saying "im not actually wrong that was just a fluke im still right" you shouldnt rule out spirits as a one time thing, you suggest people think outside the box yet youre setting yourself some narrow restrictions there. theres nothing to suggest this is a one time thing and theres nothing to suggest it isnt

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
On the other hand, speculation has already started to progressively shift over time with each highly-demanded character making it in. First the one-two combo of Daisy and Ridley, then King K. Rool, and after that Banjo & Kazooie. The change may not be as drastic as if your Genos and Bandana Dees got in, but you have to admit that less noticed characters got a bit more attention after the above got in.

MattX20

Smash Hero
On the other hand, speculation has already started to progressively shift over time with each highly-demanded character making it in. First the one-two combo of Daisy and Ridley, then King K. Rool, and after that Banjo & Kazooie. The change may not be as drastic as if your Genos and Bandana Dees got in, but you have to admit that less noticed characters got a bit more attention after the above got in.
Yep, the majority of the major fan requests since the Brawl days are playable or at least an AT. There aren't many left to go through at this point

AinsOoalGown

Smash Apprentice

Wanting a character solely for it to "allow wanting" another character is a horrible petty reason to want something. It would be even worse had he made it since then you would be "sure" other ats would too and if he was the only one youd act as if Sakurai "betrayed" you.

If I was a real Springman fan I would be pissed off at people like you who pretend to care for him out of nowhere just so he could "break" some "fanrule" to "allow" other characters you may want, specially since these could happen anyway. I'd understand before the reveal but I saw some very angry people making stuff up like saying her kicks are a bad thing etc or wanting a new smash to "fix" it because they are so pissed at being contraried that they confuse that with caring for a character they wouldnt care before the ARMS announcement. Same with the other characters you are pretending to be "salty" about, getting angry because of a prediction didnt match specifically is a horrible, petty reason to want or not want something, or antagonizing characters with good movesets because it didnt match your prediction when you dont even care about the original request and your only reason to predict it is to.... allow predicting something else unrelated as if you need permision.
And it feels like some people cant differentiate between believing something and wanting it to the point where they trick themselves into believing something is bound to happen and act betrayed when it dosnt... even though it was never going to and they never even had an actual reason to want it to begin with.

Anyway glad for Minmin, great choice, popular choice, great moveset, kicking helps great with crafting the moveset, good design and personality, I could see her being the main face in the future of ARMS kinda like how Morrigan is for Darkstalkers.

Last edited:

Proceleon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Proceleon
3DS FC
2423-2553-2839
Switch FC
SW-6226-7752-8603
think outside the box? all it takes to want a character in smash is to like the character and the only thing that you should ever expect to make people stop supporting the character is the character becoming playable. even if sakurai had said that spirits couldnt be playable that would not have meant people would have changed their wish lists, after all he said ridley was impossible but his support did not die down in any way.

also you do realize that sounds a little arrogant? basically saying "im not actually wrong that was just a fluke im still right" you shouldnt rule out spirits as a one time thing, you suggest people think outside the box yet youre setting yourself some narrow restrictions there. theres nothing to suggest this is a one time thing and theres nothing to suggest it isnt
Not ruling it out, just expecting it to be a one-time thing. I don't care how it sounds, arrogant or not, but I don't appreciate putting words in my mouth. Also, you misinterpret 'outside the box'. It means talking about characters that aren't normally talked about, because the mainsteam, i.e. the box, is boring the hear repeated all the time.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Not ruling it out, just expecting it to be a one-time thing. I don't care how it sounds, arrogant or not, but I don't appreciate putting words in my mouth. Also, you misinterpret 'outside the box'. It means talking about characters that aren't normally talked about, because the mainsteam, i.e. the box, is boring the hear repeated all the time.
well if you want to talk about other characters than the vast majority why don’t you try? The only thing keeping them from being talked about is people don’t want to. Which is why you need to try and get people to take an interest, like I said fans don’t stop talking about certain characters because they were told no, just ask any Ridley fan. The only thing that’ll make people to stop talking about characters is if they lose interest, so if you to talk about these other characters you need to start the conversation yourself

RebelMaren

Smash Journeyman
I'd rather they put interesting character in the game and the speculation community continue to talk the same nonsense ad nauseum than for them to continually add uninteresting characters in the vain hopes that the community will focus more on interesting movesets than on memes and fan polls that involve the tiniest fraction of Smash's actual fanbase. Min Min is awesome, they coulda put Waluigi in and people would stop speculating about him, but then we'd still be months out from anything interesting happening.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I'm having an feeling that Min Min will become the Morrigan of ARMS replacing Spring Man/Ribbon Girl as the latter did with Demitri. Popularity was the reason Darkstalkers eventually went with her as the mascot.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
It means talking about characters that aren't normally talked about, because the mainsteam, i.e. the box, is boring the hear repeated all the time.
Which has shifted over to Crash and Sora now, not various Spirit/AT characters.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
If you don't want to hear about characters getting talked about ad nauseam, then post in threads for lesser-talked about characters, or better yet don't pay attention to forums in the first place.

I've completely stopped trying to understand the people in here.

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
We are slowly clearing the Tunnel Vision when it comes to speculation. When people becomes confident and/or deny with the selected point of view on the picture, they fail to see the true picture and it's meaning.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
I really don't think this is going to be a case like Morrigan in Darkstalkers. But more like Nakoruru in Smaurai Showdown. Nakoruru is the popular one and the one who appears in crossovers but in her home series she shares the spotlight with Haohmaru.

Samurai_Shodown_-_SNK_40th_Special_Art.jpg

People get this idea that there can be only one. It's either Spring Man or Min Min. But forget that ARMS started off with Spring Man and Ribbon Girl. The ARMS team still sees Spring Man as important and he's Yabuki's second favorite. The title "Spring Man" is important in ARMS lore. I highly doubt they're going to demote Spring Man. Instead they're going promote Min Min to where he is. It's probably Ribbon Girl who's going to be demoted more than anything.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
If I was a real Springman fan I would be pissed off at people like you who pretend to care for him out of nowhere just so he could "break" some "fanrule" to "allow" other characters you may want, specially since these could happen anyway
Allow me to vent, but yes, as a Spring Man fan it's been hell to see all the people that loudly exclaimed their support for Spring Man just so that ATs can get promoted. Don't get me wrong, some of my most wanted are ATs, but that just perpetuated the awful perception of Spring Man as a boring character that people couldn't possibly want because of his own merits, and that ****ing sucked. Now that all the posers have scattered, I hope that those who love Spring Man will start standing out more.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I really don't think this is going to be a case like Morrigan in Darkstalkers. But more like Nakoruru in Smaurai Showdown. Nakoruru is the popular one and the one who appears in crossovers but in her home series she shares the spotlight with Haohmaru.

View attachment 276357

People get this idea that there can be only one. It's either Spring Man or Min Min. But forget that ARMS started off with Spring Man and Ribbon Girl. The ARMS team still sees Spring Man as important and he's Yabuki's second favorite. The title "Spring Man" is important in ARMS lore. I highly doubt they're going to demote Spring Man. Instead they're going promote Min Min to where he is. It's probably Ribbon Girl who's going to be demoted more than anything.
Ah, so I'm not the only one who thought of the SamSho comparison. Good to know, good to know.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
My disappointment over Spring Man not getting in has worn off a bit. But I'll NEVER get over the icon they decided to use for the ARMS series.

Smash Team: "Hmm. I wonder what we should use for the ARMS series symbol? Should we use the ARMS League symbol that's plastered over pretty much everything in the game including the stage we're using? Or some generic fist that's sometimes used in some promotional material?"

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
My disappointment over Spring Man not getting in has worn off a bit. But I'll NEVER get over the icon they decided to use for the ARMS series.

Smash Team: "Hmm. I wonder what we should use for the ARMS series symbol? Should we use the ARMS League symbol that's plastered over pretty much everything in the game including the stage we're using? Or some generic fist that's sometimes used in some promotional material?"
At least the logo actually comes from something that exists in the series. :ultmegaman:

ThatRedPlumber

Smash Apprentice

I don’t really think Spring Man is the mascot of ARMS though. SM may have seemed like the mascot in the early advertising, but a lot changed after the game came out and Min Min was deemed the most popular character via party crash. Also, Mr. Yabuki himself said that everyone is the mascot in a way.

I do agree with you about Heihachi though, I would’ve loved to see him playable and I think it’s super lame to bring back the same Mii costume from Smash 4 and make it DLC again. Making players purchase the same costume twice is pretty ridiculous.

Top Bottom