• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Congratulations, Min Min! ARMS character(s) for Smash discussion

Which character do think will be revealed in June?

• Spring Man

Votes: 54 16.3%
  • Ribbon Girl

Votes: 12 3.6%
  • Ninjara

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Mechanica

Votes: 2 0.6%
  • Master Mummy

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Min Min

Votes: 104 31.4%
  • Helix

Votes: 7 2.1%
  • Kid Cobra

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Byte & Barq

• Twintelle

Votes: 25 7.6%
  • Max Brass

Votes: 18 5.4%
  • Lola Pop

Votes: 7 2.1%
  • Spring Tron

• Misango

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dr. Coyle

Votes: 19 5.7%
  • Biff

Votes: 8 2.4%
  • Combination of 2 or more interchangeable characters

Votes: 66 19.9%
  • Other (specify in thread)

Votes: 3 0.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Sniper Maxter

Smash Cadet
So like what Terry does in King of Fighters?

That sounds... possible, actually.
Terry's still pretty consistently been treated as the mascot of SNK as a whole even though he was only the star of the Fatal Fury series and he's since mostly been relegated to a side character in another series that's largely superceded it. The plots don't revolve around him anymore, but he never truly took that backseat.

I think Min Min taking over from Spring Man would be more like somebody ousting Terry for the star role in Fatal Fury itself.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Terry's still pretty consistently been treated as the mascot of SNK as a whole even though he was only the star of the Fatal Fury series and he's since mostly been relegated to a side character in another series that's largely superceded it. The plots don't revolve around him anymore, but he never truly took that backseat.

I think Min Min taking over from Spring Man would be more like somebody ousting Terry for the star role in Fatal Fury itself.
I could see Spring Man be somewhat similar to Terry in that aspect, especially with how hard he was marketed and how he's supposed to be this beginner-friendly character.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I can see Kirby copying the masks, aside from the hairstyles. They're kinda important to design philosophy of ARMS given how everyone has their own.
...I must be blanking pretty hard.
I had to look up the ARMS masks.
I never realized that all characters had them.
I never realized this is part of the lore of the series.

WOW. That's pretty bad of me.

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
You've never noticed how every human (except Mechanica) wears a mask over their eyes?
I never noticed that- for most, I thought it was makeup.

I could see Spring Man be somewhat similar to Terry in that aspect, especially with how hard he was marketed and how he's supposed to be this beginner-friendly character.
I have long said that Spring Man was only the face for the first game, because the game needed to be explained, and promoted.
That doesnt make him the face of the series, just an understandable icon.

I think we will see Twintelle and Min Min continue to emerge, and quite possibly even star on the next cover (likely with a male, because thats how marketing works).

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Fighting game stories are strange no matter how you slice it.

Ryu's connection to the Shadaloo side of Street Fighter is very tentative with Guile, Chun-li and Charlie being closer to the protagonist there. Heck even with the other villains Seth and Gil, they have other designated protagonists in their arc (Abel and Alex respectively)

Fatal Fury is pretty straight forward for the most part with Terry vs Geese but when it got to King of Fighters, good luck following that.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Fighting game stories are strange no matter how you slice it.

Ryu's connection to the Shadaloo side of Street Fighter is very tentative with Guile, Chun-li and Charlie being closer to the protagonist there. Heck even with the other villains Seth and Gil, they have other designated protagonists in their arc (Abel and Alex respectively)

Fatal Fury is pretty straight forward for the most part with Terry vs Geese but when it got to King of Fighters, good luck following that.
Yeah, with fighting games you need to be able to have many different characters, yet you also need to be able to have them duke it out somehow. So you'll probably end up with many characters having tenuous connections to the plot at worst, and many differing yet somewhat interconnected plotlines at best. I'd say the one series that does a great job at keeping all its characters focused on one plotline is Mortal Kombat, which is weird because it has to juggle zombie ninjas, cyborg cops, martial artists, gods, and movie stars together.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Yeah, with fighting games you need to be able to have many different characters, yet you also need to be able to have them duke it out somehow. So you'll probably end up with many characters having tenuous connections to the plot at worst, and many differing yet somewhat interconnected plotlines at best. I'd say the one series that does a great job at keeping all its characters focused on one plotline is Mortal Kombat, which is weird because it has to juggle zombie ninjas, cyborg cops, martial artists, gods, and movie stars together.
To be fair, they only figured out how after rebooting the whole thing and killing off most of the cast.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
To be fair, they only figured out how after rebooting the whole thing and killing off most of the cast.
It's not a question of figuring it out. They showed good potential from the original trilogy, actually.

The problem is that after seeing that Mortal Kombat is profitable, Midway just put the team on constant crunch times to pump out at least one game a year, so they didn't really have the time to actually think of the plot as much as they would've wanted to. It's also why the PS2 era of the franchise is pretty much the worst era of the series.

Everything since the reboot is pretty much what happens when they actually have time to write a full story without being pressured.

Last edited:

SwitchButton

Banned via Administration
1588041218432m.jpg

So this got posted to my discord. Friend says they found it on 4chanzz.

Idk if I'd believe a generic blurry static image but the render IS very nice looking. I can't find a source for the image. I'd like to see the whole thing tho look at how clean his helmet looks!

The red roasters look to be due to possible saturation.

Again Im not trying to sell this as real I just thought it was curious.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203

Idk if I'd believe a generic blurry static image but the render IS very nice looking. I can't find a source for the image. I'd like to see the whole thing tho look at how clean his helmet looks!

Fake. More often then not these image leaks tend to be so.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
View attachment 270470

The fact that the helmet and the chest plates seem to be made from different metals doesn't look right to me...

The helmet in particular just... doesn't have the same smoothness as in ARMS, which I could pass as an extra detail since a lot of characters have those (best example I can think of is Mario's overalls), but the chest plates aren't consistent with it, so it's just weird...

Last edited:

RocksteadyBebop

Banned via Warnings
View attachment 270470

Honestly, this is my personal best outcome.
I would cry for Max brass. I want him to most.

YeppersPeppers

Smash Journeyman
That is a very nice looking render. Bonus points for the scratches on the gold fist. Nice detail. I don't think it's real by any means, but it's definitely warmed me up to the idea of Max Brass as the fighter.

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
The blurry ken image was real so I wouldn't totally dismiss static images
Tbf there have only been a few legitimate static image leaks out of the hundreds of thousands of fakes so statistically it is probably fake. The person "leaking" this also knows it will be an ARMS character so they know if they choose a candidate from the came that seems plausible then people would have an easier time "believing" it.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
View attachment 270470

Well it could be real but a couple of minor details bother me.
  1. His Roasters are Brown in ARMS so why are they red like the Toasters?
  2. Why does it say "joins the battle"? Don't tell my their pun game ran dry.

SwitchButton

Banned via Administration
Well it could be real but a couple of minor details bother me.
  1. His Roasters are Brown in ARMS so why are they red like the Toasters?
  2. Why does it say "joins the battle"? Don't tell my their pun game ran dry.
The render is 100% fan made but that screen they used in the image is the "unlocked character" screen

Dibble

Smash Cadet
View attachment 270470

As of currently the smash series has only ever had 2 image leaks that turned out to be true, being the entire ESRB leak and the Ken leak, with both actually showing the in-game character models. I wouldn't be keen on believing anything just on account of it being plausible looking unless it actually shows in-game footage, especially after the fallout of the Rayman and Grinch leak and how it affected the smash community. And even then, stuff like the Cacohat leak is looking less true by the minute.

But in any case, that is undeniably a pretty rad looking render. In my brief time with the ARMS testpunch Max Brass was my favorite fighter and I absolutely wouldn't mind seeing him be the ARMS rep. Just like Min Min, his gimmicks do not take the spotlight away from ARMS' main mechanic and even reinforce them. I'd like to see him in just so he could be put side to side with Captain Falcon, and also just to see what he has to yell in his victory animations.
I still think Min Min would make for a better choice overall, but the commish would be a pretty fun pick.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
The timing from that thread was when the game was starting to be sold early in certain areas (Hong Kong specifically), just before the official Japanese release. Screenshots of an early copy aren't the same as the former 2 leaks which happened far ahead of their respective releases.

Either way the creator of that Max Brass render was confirmed.

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
You would think if they were gonna promote Waluigi they'd save him for last don't you think?
My thinking is the June announcement was probably intended to be the E3 announcement originally, and if they still do a direct regardless of e3 getting cancelled, then they'd want a DLC character that gets everyone talking.

Waluigi is a character that would get a lot of buzz and could thematically fit with Spring Man as current ATs that become playable. If they went Min Min, this wouldn't really be a connection you can make, so I imagine they'd go for a big third party, therefore Crash.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Okay, place your bets, everyone! What’s it gonna be for when the ARMS character is revealed? Will it be:

A. Just ARMS and nothing else

B. ARMS + 1st/2nd party

C. ARMS + 3rd party
If it's B, have the other 1st party be Rex. He's in the same boat ARMS was, you know.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Wow, I missed quite a bit it seems since I last visited this thread. A well done render that fooled people into thinking it was real certainly has become a Smash tradition it seems. Also, after thinking about it for a while, I think Twintelle probably won't be our ARMS rep and MinMin will likely be the one because of Twintelle's ability being identical to Bayonetta's witch time. Given how highly disliked Bayo was for that on top of being incredibly broken in Smash 4, I don't think Sakurai and the development team will repeat the same gimmick.

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
Wow, I missed quite a bit it seems since I last visited this thread. A well done render that fooled people into thinking it was real certainly has become a Smash tradition it seems. Also, after thinking about it for a while, I think Twintelle probably won't be our ARMS rep and MinMin will likely be the one because of Twintelle's ability being identical to Bayonetta's witch time. Given how highly disliked Bayo was for that on top of being incredibly broken in Smash 4, I don't think Sakurai and the development team will repeat the same gimmick.
I think it was a lot more than Witch time that made Bayonetta's original kit so divisive... Also Bayonetta's witch time is utilized differently from Twintelle/wouldn't have the safety net of bat within.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Witch Time was disliked because it wasn't balanced properly. In Ultimate, it's much riskier to use and harder to get the advantage of, meaning you don't see people hating on that move aside from being kinda useless now

Also, this is like saying "Limit Break was highly disliked in Smash 4, I don't think Sakurai will repeat the same gimmick but even stronger in Joker's kit".

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Okay, place your bets, everyone! What’s it gonna be for when the ARMS character is revealed? Will it be:

B. ARMS + 1st/2nd party

C. ARMS + 3rd party
Imma go with option B. I'll even go out on a limb and say that it's a Mario character.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719

B. ARMS + 1st/2nd party

C. ARMS + 3rd party
I don't think it's A considering the past few E3s that have revealed Smash content. And I can't decide on if it's B or C, because the multiple things that have been revealed at these E3s have contrasted each other in some ways:

Roy+Ryu: Veteran, newcomer
Everyone+Ridley: One is a big shocker for those that wanted veterans, the other for those that wanted newcomers
Hero+Banjo: Japanese demand vs. Western demand

Which makes me assume the other thing revealed at what would've been E3 would be something like:
  • A promoted AT that's more iconic or appeals to older fans
  • A promoted Poke Ball/spirit/cameo/Mii costume/etc.
  • A third party

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Given it would have been revealed at E3, I'm guessing 3rd party but I wouldn't put money on that.

Top Bottom