• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Congratulations, Min Min! ARMS character(s) for Smash discussion

Which character do think will be revealed in June?

• Spring Man

Votes: 54 16.3%
  • Ribbon Girl

Votes: 12 3.6%
  • Ninjara

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Mechanica

Votes: 2 0.6%
  • Master Mummy

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Min Min

Votes: 104 31.4%
  • Helix

Votes: 7 2.1%
  • Kid Cobra

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Byte & Barq

• Twintelle

Votes: 25 7.6%
  • Max Brass

Votes: 18 5.4%
  • Lola Pop

Votes: 7 2.1%
  • Spring Tron

• Misango

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dr. Coyle

Votes: 19 5.7%
  • Biff

Votes: 8 2.4%
  • Combination of 2 or more interchangeable characters

Votes: 66 19.9%
  • Other (specify in thread)

Votes: 3 0.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Golden Sun game around the corner (which is very unlikely)
The Isaac thread loves to do research regarding Golden Sun's trademark and theorize about it being long enough for Camelot to show a new, non-sports game.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
So, cool idea for the ARMS character reveal to build up the hype:

When it was announced that an ARMS character is the next fighter, it showed all 15 fighters of that roster. So what if...over the course of the 2 weeks leading up to the eventual reveal and release of that character, they start removing ARMS characters from that selection in the Direct Mini? So on Day 1, they'll remove Byte and Barq, Day 2 they remove Misango, Day 3 Mechanica, etc, right?

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2

When it was announced that an ARMS character is the next fighter, it showed all 15 fighters of that roster. So what if...over the course of the 2 weeks leading up to the eventual reveal and release of that character, they start removing ARMS characters from that selection in the Direct Mini? So on Day 1, they'll remove Byte and Barq, Day 2 they remove Misango, Day 3 Mechanica, etc, right?
I would kind of find that to be more underwhelming and ruin the surprise factor if you know what I mean.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Well yes we do. When you think about it, everything that people use to hurt a characters chances is a rule and without those rules, everyone would just have a half and half shot and speculation would be doomed. Rules aren't really only limited to spirits or assists deconfirming but ones which are as odd as 'why would they choose this character '
people use their rules to restrict speculation as well in very much, rules do not make speculation open

The only other character that could get the assist trophy promotion this game I could see is Waluigi. Because A. Hes a Mario character and everyone knows him, B. Nintendo/Sakurai know about the massive twitter outcry and this was before either fighters pass was announced, C. Nintendo makes a new Mario spin-off every 24 minutes and Waluigi is in 95% of them, and finally D. Mario's 35th anniversary is this year I could see Waluigi being added to Smash because of that as well. Also this is coming from someone who could care less if Waluigi is added to the roster or not (Yes I do like Waluigi as a character).
so wouldnt it make more sense then to have someone who's been in 100% of those games and who debuted in the game who's 35th anniversary it is?

mario's 39 this year btw

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311

This is a nice way to spotlight each character. ARMS is a game all about the characters (and some INSANE music), and I wouldn't be against this idea.

Except that I would not think they would remove them one by one- it almost makes them seem like a ranking of importance.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
This is a nice way to spotlight each character. ARMS is a game all about the characters (and some INSANE music), and I wouldn't be against this idea.

Except that I would not think they would remove them one by one- it almost makes them seem like a ranking of importance.
Okay, yeah, maybe not one by one.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Maybe if the game's twitter shows off the spirit battles one by one that might be a way to do it.

I wouldn't like that though, it would be too drawn out.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
This "Assist Trophy floodgates" concern is ridiculous. There's only 5 fighters left after the ARMS character. What floodgates are they worried about? Do they mean fan demand? Upgrading Spring Man isn't going to change anything. People will still want who they want whether Spring Man is a fighter or not.

But protagonist/mascot/face first. That's how it always goes.

When have they went with important to lore/stories characters first above protagonist/mascot/face?
Well in cases like Pokemon they chose Lucario to represent Gen 4 and not a starter. With Fire Emblem, we got Robin before the protaginist Chrom. Everyone was expecting Chrom to represent Awakening but they didn't. (He got in eventually but I'm talking about Smash 4)

Regardless of who they pick, I think it will be someone that is important in some way. That's why I picked those 5. They are the most significant fighters in ARMS for one reason or another.

Trevenant

Smash Lord
people use their rules to restrict speculation as well in very much, rules do not make speculation open

so wouldnt it make more sense then to have someone who's been in 100% of those games and who debuted in the game who's 35th anniversary it is?

mario's 39 this year btw
Smash speculation just works differently I guess. There are the people that speculate characters who would be cool and don't give af about likelihood and there are the ones that take it more seriously and try to look at what could make sense to try and narrow down who would be included.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Smash speculation just works differently I guess. There are the people that speculate characters who would be cool and don't give af about likelihood and there are the ones that take it more seriously and try to look at what could make sense to try and narrow down who would be included.
To some people, you can't openly talk about various possibilities, because we can never have nice things and expecting that is pointless, apparently. There's a reason why I barely even talked too much about the possibility of more DLC after FP1, before FP2 was announced. At some point, you just stop bothering with debates going nowhere, shrug, and leave the forums and do something else until the bloody news actually happen.

Smash speculation was freer in the ballot period, then most of the fanbase got PTSD after it for a long time.

Once a week, they do a Thanos Snap on the image, removing half the candidates until the reveal.
Maybe if the game's twitter shows off the spirit battles one by one that might be a way to do it.

I wouldn't like that though, it would be too drawn out.
Sak has never been one to intentionally drag things out, so I'm sure that we'd know who the ARMS fighter is in like a minute after the trailer starts, tops. Until then, we wouldn't hear a single thing. Just remember that working on the game remotely has a higher security risk, so they're being extra-careful not to leak any info out this time.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
true, but everyone had guessed it was terry before hand so surprise can be lost easily
Well, a little less so if you got the benefit of the doubt. Case in point, :ultbanjokazooie: were guessed ages ago, and some fans still weren't sure if they got in for real even when they got leaked, thanks to how easy it is for text-based information to be inaccurate or falsified.

It's one thing to already know who's coming, it's another to be assured that, yes, they're in, it's official, there's no need to wait anymore, and it's exciting for whoever supported the fighter in the first place. Especially if they come with something that wasn't expected.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Well, a little less so if you got the benefit of the doubt. Case in point, :ultbanjokazooie: were guessed ages ago, and some fans still weren't sure if they got in for real even when they got leaked, thanks to how easy it is for text-based information to be inaccurate or falsified.

It's one thing to already know who's coming, it's another to be assured that, yes, they're in, it's official, there's no need to wait anymore, and it's exciting for whoever supported the fighter in the first place. Especially if they come with something that wasn't expected.
thats true, you never can be sure until it comes from nintendo themselves

Apples and oranges. A company playing a weeks-long "guess who" game isn't comparable with a slightly long trailer.
at least the end result of this weeks long guess who will have a better result

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
oh... I sad now
Don't feel bad, that's just how the speculation scene is. Fleeting hope and disappointment in a cycle, until you get to a rumor you DON'T want to happen and whadyaknow, it happens.

zferolie

Smash Hero
papagenos papagenos made a new video, and talks about the ARMS character speculation.

He does mention Twintelle specifically ad a likely choice, but one of his reasons i didnt think of and makes a lot of sense from a developer side: she has normal arms, and thereform should be able to use normal items a lot easier. Sure, Min min and could use their extendo arms to hold say a super scope, but i could see that looking odd or maybe hard to make work right.

Trevenant

Smash Lord
papagenos papagenos made a new video, and talks about the ARMS character speculation.

He does mention Twintelle specifically ad a likely choice, but one of his reasons i didnt think of and makes a lot of sense from a developer side: she has normal arms, and thereform should be able to use normal items a lot easier. Sure, Min min and could use their extendo arms to hold say a super scope, but i could see that looking odd or maybe hard to make work right.
Bases were always a stretch to me. Although a source can't be found which confirmed BK were based on Ridley it isn't much more likely that a save glitch which is interfered by using Duck Hunts Down B against one of Mii Swordfighters attacks which have no relation to the characters who were supposedly based on them would be more legit. Although bases exist, these characters specifically probably have no relation imo

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504

>Max Brass being his guess if Spirits still deconfirm

Glad to see the champ get recognized :p

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
Bases were always a stretch to me. Although a source can't be found which confirmed BK were based on Ridley it isn't much more likely that a save glitch which is interfered by using Duck Hunts Down B against one of Mii Swordfighters attacks which have no relation to the characters who were supposedly based on them would be more legit. Although bases exist, these characters specifically probably have no relation imo
We have seen it happening though. With Hero have mii sword fighter or Link shield sound fx, the Simon glitch tieing to Byleth.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
It's not like characters can be always made out of scratch every time if development has to be made less taxing, some characters share normal moves with other characters anyway. The staffers had to use bases sooner or later.

Don't feel bad, that's just how the speculation scene is. Fleeting hope and disappointment in a cycle, until you get to a rumor you DON'T want to happen and whadyaknow, it happens.
The only thing I'll say about this is be open to any possibility, even the unlikely ones. I completely stopped being disappointed after the Melee era (if I even remember that occurring in the first place).

osby

Smash Obsessed
Eh, I'm not sure if that's a big enough issue to affect their character choice when you have Ivysaur and R.O.B. using items like everyone else.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
It's not like characters can be always made out of scratch every time if development has to be made less taxing, some characters share normal moves with other characters anyway. The staffers had to use bases sooner or later.

The only thing I'll say about this is be open to any possibility, even the unlikely ones. I completely stopped being disappointed after the Melee era (if I even remember that occurring in the first place).
Latest unlikely possibility on the Table is a League of Legends character. While I have absolutely no interest in that series, I'll still be up for whatever comes, it'll be interesting to see how lanes work in Smash.

The more possibilities you accept, the less likely you are to be disappointed.

In the case of ARMS, we need to accept the posibilties of Assist Trophy Promotions, Spirit promotion of the previous two options being impossible, therefore making the ARMS rep a left field choice.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Latest unlikely possibility on the Table is a League of Legends character. While I have absolutely no interest in that series, I'll still be up for whatever comes, it'll be interesting to see how lanes work in Smash.

The more possibilities you accept, the less likely you are to be disappointed.

In the case of ARMS, we need to accept the posibilties of Assist Trophy Promotions, Spirit promotion of the previous two options being impossible, therefore making the ARMS rep a left field choice.
A case-by-case basis of the former second option is also possible, but ARMS could not be one of those, so there's that too. :ultmewtwo::ultlucas:

Trevenant

Smash Lord
We have seen it happening though. With Hero have mii sword fighter or Link shield sound fx, the Simon glitch tieing to Byleth.
the Simon glitch wasn't really confirmed to be Byleth though. Heck, the only similar moves byleth and Simon have are the up tilt and up air/smash which probably wouldn't warrant a glitch since one is a version of the tilt that can only be performed in the air and the other had to be made chargeable to work better as a smash attack.

I'm not saying they dont, I'm pretty much saying this glitch stuff imo means nothing as these characters glitches don't tie to the characters who people speculated used them as bases aside from maybe links shield sound

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

whos that next to rayman?

NOSTARSICK

Smash Apprentice
I didn't really have any most wanteds...I mean, an ARMs rep was one I wanted to see but I could understand why there wasn't one as a playable character...but as time went on, i thought of two series I'd honestly love to see in the game...Breath of Fire and/or Bloody Roar (I know either aren't likely)

Top Bottom