• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Congratulations, Min Min! ARMS character(s) for Smash discussion

Which character do think will be revealed in June?

• Spring Man

Votes: 54 16.3%
  • Ribbon Girl

Votes: 12 3.6%
  • Ninjara

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Mechanica

Votes: 2 0.6%
  • Master Mummy

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Min Min

Votes: 104 31.4%
  • Helix

Votes: 7 2.1%
  • Kid Cobra

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Byte & Barq

• Twintelle

Votes: 25 7.6%
  • Max Brass

Votes: 18 5.4%
  • Lola Pop

Votes: 7 2.1%
  • Spring Tron

• Misango

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dr. Coyle

Votes: 19 5.7%
  • Biff

Votes: 8 2.4%
  • Combination of 2 or more interchangeable characters

Votes: 66 19.9%
  • Other (specify in thread)

Votes: 3 0.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
One other stage that I think would work well would be Ribbon Ring as it could be whatever shape they want it to be. And it has the best music

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
While we’re talking things we’d throw in ARMs 2.... I actually would throw in generic 3d “platforming” stages from Nintendo past... like Bob Omb Battlefield would be perfect. Sets up for a match atop the mountain too. Make a little story mode for the guy.

With double jumps and dashes, every character has an acceptable amount of 3d platforming mobility.
Master Mummy can't even jump further than one character length, how is that an acceptable amount of mobility for platforming? And on the flipside there is Coyle which is basically SMB2 Peach hovering 24/7.

Freduardo

Smash Champion
Master Mummy can't even jump further than one character length, how is that an acceptable amount of mobility for platforming? And on the flipside there is Coyle which is basically SMB2 Peach hovering 24/7.
He has a double jump and can dash in the air. That is easily enough mobility for platforming. Really once you have air dashes, you’re pretty set.

As for Coyle and Mechanica having a noted platforming ability.... yes, yes they do.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Thumbnail screams low-effort clickbait so I'm not watching it.

Does it have anything worthwhile to say?
He admits to saying how Springtron could replace Spring Man as his assist as well as talking about the possibility of the Bowser Jr. route.

Staarih

Smash Master
Thumbnail screams low-effort clickbait so I'm not watching it.

Does it have anything worthwhile to say?
He essentially just doesn't want to see the "Assist Trophies are eligible for fighters!"-floodgates to open.

Personally, I don't care either way. Even if choosing Spring Man would "break the rules", it doesn't automatically mean that the rest of pass will be filled with Waluigi, Isaac etc. All it does is give us more to speculate on.

Trevenant

Smash Lord
He admits to saying how Springtron could replace Spring Man as his assist as well as talking about the possibility of the Bowser Jr. route.
That does still prove their point of low effort clickbait as what you just told me doesn't at all make me think 'spring man shouldn't make it in'.

osby

Smash Obsessed
He essentially just doesn't want to see the "Assist Trophies are eligible for fighters!"-floodgates to open.

Personally, I don't care either way. Even if choosing Spring Man would "break the rules", it doesn't automatically mean that the rest of pass will be filled with Waluigi, Isaac etc. All it does is give us more to speculate on.
That's dumb, glad I didn't give any more views.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

Plus we have no guarantee that they'll actually go through with it, so I don't see why he needed to freak out, really. Glad I didn't watch it and waste time.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I mean I get where he's getting at. These characters were already added to the game and worked on so why bother having made them an assist to begin with then making all that work for nothing? That and it leaves out other characters not featured in the game anyway especially requested ones like Crash, Dante, Geno and Sora.

Then by promoting assists will lead more people asking for more and when they don't get them that's unfair for them. That's why he made the example with Goku and non-gaming characters as if Goku got in then people would be asking for other non-gaming characters.

Last edited:

Staarih

Smash Master
I mean I get where he's getting at. These characters were already added to the game and worked on so why bother having made them an assist to begin with then making all that work for nothing? That and it leaves out other characters not featured in the game anyway especially requested ones like Crash, Dante, Geno and Sora.

Then by promoting assists will lead more people asking for more and when they don't get them that's unfair for them. That's why he made the example with Goku and non-gaming characters as if Goku got in then people would be asking for other non-gaming characters.
DLC is additional, optional content added to the game today, while the base game was developed since 2016. Back then there probably was no intention of putting an ARMS character in: Sakurai himself has said that the timing wasn't right for an ARMS character during base game development. Thus they settled on the Assist Trophy. Today we have a completely new situation, opinions and minds may have changed along with the times and development. They've decided on an ARMS character over any of the other "requested" characters you mentioned, and we'll just have to accept it. And actually, I don't think at any point would the work on Assist Trophies be "for nothing" even if some of them became playable: not everyone who owns Ultimate buys the DLC, so they'd still have the base game AT's in their games.

Not saying that Spring Man will be the one chosen as the fighter, just that him being an AT already doesn't necessarily rule him out completely.

And does it really matter even if people start asking for more? Truthfully, we all are asking for more in an already packed game, but we're only getting what we're getting. It's probably only an issue within the speculation scene and even then only if people get too passionate about it.

Last edited:

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
DLC is additional, optional content added to the game today, while the base game was developed since 2016. Back then there probably was no intention of putting an ARMS character in: Sakurai himself has said that the timing wasn't right for an ARMS character during base game development. Thus they settled on the Assist Trophy. Today we have a completely new situation, opinions and minds may have changed along with the times and development. They've decided on an ARMS character over any of the other "requested" characters you mentioned, and we'll just have to accept it. And actually, I don't think at any point would the work on Assist Trophies be "for nothing" even if some of them became playable: not everyone who owns Ultimate buys the DLC, so they'd still have the base game AT's in their games.

Not saying that Spring Man will be the one chosen as the fighter, just that him being an AT already doesn't necessarily rule him out completely.

And does it really matter even if people start asking for more? Truthfully, we all are asking for more in an already packed game, but we're only getting what we're getting. It's probably only an issue within the speculation scene and even then only if people get too passionate about it.
They also wouldn't have "done work for nothing", because they could basically use what they did with the Assist Trophy incorporate them in the moveset.

In other words, it's not wasting, it's recycling.

Not that I think it'd be Spring Man. Just that claiming it'd be a waste of work is far from the truth.

Last edited:

Garo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Garomasta
3DS FC
3308-4572-3157
A while back I wrote about how the ARMS characters' gimmicks could be incorporated into Smash. Time for round two:

Kid Cobra
I feel his charged dashes would make the most sense as a limited-time buff, similar to Deep Breathing or Limit Break, so down special probably. He would move faster, have better frame data and distance on dodges and have his ARMS charged during this state.

Helix
Shrinking into a puddle would naturally manifest as being able to crawl. Stretching could be achieved like in ARMS, holding down the jump button while grounded, but you're committed to a jump afterwards. To keep things simple he should probably only have access to a single "tower-mode attack" during this state, like a punch you can curve up and down with the stick. Moving the stick left and right will instead shift his body and hurtbox. I imagine this could be a fun way to bait out attacks.

Max Brass
Like with Kid Cobra, the buffed state could be a down special. He would increase in size and have universal armor during it and typical super armor on some attacks like smashes. In ARMS this state could be activated even with a throw, which might be too strong in Smash, not sure. The rest I already went through with Spring Man:
Perma-charge: Pretty simple, just happens at a fixed percentage like Terry's GO! Meter and resets on death / when healed enough. (Max also grows in size during this.)
Parry wave: This could go many ways. It'll probably act as some kind of counter/reflector or both. Maybe a "clanker" that'll nullify any active hitboxes it touches? That might be too complicated.

Lola Pop
Lola's gimmicks revolve around shielding, so I'm thinking she could maybe have a unique ARMS type shield. No shield poking, but lower shield health than normal?
Moving while shielding: With her unique shield she can't shield shift, so holding down both shield buttons and moving the stick will instead make her shuffle forwards or backwards slowly.
Quick dash out of shield: Fast and far forward roll and back roll.
High jump out of shield: Performing a jump oos will result in a unique "super jump" that goes high.
Initiating shield in air: Not to go too overboard with unique inputs, this could just be a stall-and-fall down air that bounces off opponents like the ones :ultgreninja::ultsimon::ultrichter: have. Could have brief invincibility or something to reflect that it's still a defensive maneuver originally.

Misango
Spirit pillar: Down special. The pillar appears in front of Misango and blocks attacks and projectiles for a while. Achieved by pressing the special button.
Mask fusion: Also down special, but achieved by holding the special button. performing held down special during the fused state will cancel it. Like in ARMS, the mask changes colors periodically. Depending on what color it is when the special is inputted, you get different benefits and drawbacks for a while.
Red: Slight size increase. Damage taken is reduced. Universal armor on ground and typical super armor on some attacks like smashes. Throws deal more damage and knockback. Lower movement speed, air speed and jumps.
Blue: Faster air/ground speed. Faster/longer dashes and higher jump. Throws deal less damage and knockback. Easier to launch.
Yellow: FS Meter fills faster and Final Smash deals more damage and knockback. Slightly slower movement. Throws deal less damage and knockback. Since FS Meter and Final Smashes wouldn't always be available, I'll give it the additional bonus of lengthening the damage and duration of the damage-over-time effect of Misango's charged punches, seeing as all his signature ARMS have the poison element.
(Having thought of and written this, I'm actually more ok with the idea of Misango being the ARMS rep now.)

Springtron
Parry wave: This could go many ways. It'll probably act as some kind of counter/reflector or both. Maybe a "clanker" that'll nullify any active hitboxes it touches? That might be too complicated. With Springtron this is tied to...
EMP/Buffed state: Holding down whatever special input's tied to Parry wave (probably down or side) for long enough results in a relatively big spherical explosion around Springtron, paralyzing anyone caught in it. After successfully performing the EMP Springtron's ARMS are charged and he gains faster ground and air speed fro a while.

Dr. Coyle
Well, I already wrote about her at length, so give it a read if you're interested. Short version, Floating is cosmetic and reflected in her stats, invisibility is up special and third ARM appears in her buffed state and a single taunt.

Phew, done. Hope you find these interesting or that they feed your imagination and speculation.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
He has a double jump and can dash in the air. That is easily enough mobility for platforming. Really once you have air dashes, you’re pretty set.

As for Coyle and Mechanica having a noted platforming ability.... yes, yes they do.
Nobody in ARMS has a double jump besides Ribbon Girl.

Buzzwole

Smash Ace
I'm shocked that more people don't think Max Brass will be the choice.
He's the head of the ARMS league and is a perfect representation of the series. I think it's either gonna be him or Min Min.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
He's the head of the ARMS league and is a perfect representation of the series. I think it's either gonna be him or Min Min.
Because they never go the important lore of characters and always the mascot duh!

Unless assists don't get promoted I see it being Ribbon Girl as she's the face after him.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
I think the same way about Dr. Coyle. Basically everything that has happened in the greater ARMS universe, up to and including the existence of three separate fighters on the roster, can be traced back to her. Pretty much the only thing she's not responsible for is the creation of the ARMS phenomenon itself.

Plus, all her gimmicks would be hella fun to translate into Smash.

Last edited:

Koopaul

Smash Champion
That video is silly. His argumetn for why Spring Man won't be in the game is because he doesn't want him in the game. What? Look I can understand him not wanting Spring Man and his reasons for it. But you can't go ahead and think that it won't happen because you think it's a bad idea.

Anyway I'll bet money that it's going to be one of these 5.

Spring Man (Protagonist)
Ribbon Girl (Deuteragonist)
Min Min (Most popular)
Max Brass (Head of ARMS League and champ)
Dr. Coyle (the villain who has affected the lives of mutliple characters)

It think it wouldn't make any sense for it to be anyone else.

Trevenant

Smash Lord
smash doesnt always do what makes sense
We've got to establish some kind of boundary in order to narrow down who will be included otherwise if we just cave into the 'sakurai can do anything ' excuse then there is no point speculating. And also lets be honest they probably aren't going to add solo ninjara for example to represent ARMS.

Freduardo

Smash Champion
In an unexpected future:
Nintendo just said arms character. They didn’t specify who. The only way to make the extending and retracting arms not leave a player open in a game-breaking way was if they had a little protection in front of them as much as possible.

So we went with Byte and Barq.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I think the same way about Dr. Coyle. Basically everything that has happened in the greater ARMS universe, up to and including the existence of three separate fighters on the roster, can be traced back to her. Pretty much the only thing she's not responsible for is the creation of the ARMS phenomenon itself.

Plus, all her gimmicks would be hella fun to translate into Smash.
Min Min (Most popular)
Max Brass (Head of ARMS League and champ)
Dr. Coyle (the villain who has affected the lives of mutliple characters)
But protagonist/mascot/face first. That's how it always goes.

When have they went with important to lore/stories characters first above protagonist/mascot/face?

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
We've got to establish some kind of boundary in order to narrow down who will be included otherwise if we just cave into the 'sakurai can do anything ' excuse then there is no point speculating. And also lets be honest they probably aren't going to add solo ninjara for example to represent ARMS.
but surely coming up with boundaries and "rules" would be restricting to speculation

Trevenant

Smash Lord
but surely coming up with boundaries and "rules" would be restricting to speculation
Well yes we do. When you think about it, everything that people use to hurt a characters chances is a rule and without those rules, everyone would just have a half and half shot and speculation would be doomed. Rules aren't really only limited to spirits or assists deconfirming but ones which are as odd as 'why would they choose this character '

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
Even if Spring-Man is the chosen ARMS character I still dont think it opens the floodgates to other assist trophies. As much as I want characters like Krystal, Isaac, Skull Kid, etc. I just dont see them happening as its clear to me Nintendo only adds 1st party newcomer characters as DLC if they have something to promote. Corrin, Byleth, and now ARMS have proven this so far. Granted nothing is ever set in stone with Smash speculation but unless their is a new Star Fox game or Golden Sun game around the corner (which is very unlikely) I doubt we will get either Krystal or Isaac as DLC upgrades.

The only other character that could get the assist trophy promotion this game I could see is Waluigi. Because A. Hes a Mario character and everyone knows him, B. Nintendo/Sakurai know about the massive twitter outcry and this was before either fighters pass was announced, C. Nintendo makes a new Mario spin-off every 24 minutes and Waluigi is in 95% of them, and finally D. Mario's 35th anniversary is this year I could see Waluigi being added to Smash because of that as well. Also this is coming from someone who could care less if Waluigi is added to the roster or not (Yes I do like Waluigi as a character).

zferolie

Smash Hero
ARMS is 3 years old, this hardly feels like a promotional pick
Haters call anything a promotional pick.

Joker = Promotional despite Royal not coming out on the switch and still not out(or only very recently)

Terry = Promotional despite no KoF games on the switch since Heroines and the SNK collection

Hero = Promotion despite the Dragon Quest series being the grand daddy of ALL JRPGs!!! You can only maybe say the default being from 11 is due to it bein g the newest game.

Last edited:

Mariomaniac45213

Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
ARMS is 3 years old, this hardly feels like a promotional pick
They are bringing back Party Crashes, just gave the game away for free for a week, not to mention the game is still being sold on store shelves not like cause the game is 3 years old Nintendo doesnt want to move more copies off store shelves. Evergreen titles people. So yes Nintendo is still promoting ARMS regardless if its 3 years old.

Also how am I a hater? I've been posting in this thread for awhile and am super excited for the ARMS character and was one of the very few who was estatic for Byleth's inclusion. The ****?

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Even if Spring-Man is the chosen ARMS character I still dont think it opens the floodgates to other assist trophies. As much as I want characters like Krystal, Isaac, Skull Kid, etc. I just dont see them happening as its clear to me Nintendo only adds 1st party newcomer characters as DLC if they have something to promote.
I wish it wasn't the case but you're most likely right. Damnit! I really want my Krystal. :cry:

Mariomaniac45213

Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
I wish it wasn't the case but you're most likely right. Damnit! I really want my Krystal. :cry:
Me too Krystal was up their with K.Rool and Dixie for me during the ballot time. Krystal is in a weird spot as well as even if their is a new Star Fox game coming their is no guarantee she will be in it since Nintendo is too hell bent on remaking the original Star Fox over and over again.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Me too Krystal was up their with K.Rool and Dixie for me during the ballot time. Krystal is in a weird spot as well as even if their is a new Star Fox game coming their is no guarantee she will be in it since Nintendo is too hell bent on remaking the original Star Fox over and over again.
My top 5 before Ultimate:

1. Goemon

2. K. Rool

3. Ridley

4. Banjo & Kazooie

5. Krystal

I got 3 of them now I only got 2 to go.

Top Bottom