• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Congratulations, Min Min! ARMS character(s) for Smash discussion

Which character do think will be revealed in June?

• Spring Man

Votes: 54 16.3%
  • Ribbon Girl

Votes: 12 3.6%
  • Ninjara

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Mechanica

Votes: 2 0.6%
  • Master Mummy

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Min Min

Votes: 104 31.4%
  • Helix

Votes: 7 2.1%
  • Kid Cobra

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Byte & Barq

• Twintelle

Votes: 25 7.6%
  • Max Brass

Votes: 18 5.4%
  • Lola Pop

Votes: 7 2.1%
  • Spring Tron

• Misango

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dr. Coyle

Votes: 19 5.7%
  • Biff

Votes: 8 2.4%
  • Combination of 2 or more interchangeable characters

Votes: 66 19.9%
  • Other (specify in thread)

Votes: 3 0.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
Spring Man and echo fighter Ribbon Girl. I'd love that. But I doubt that they'd do that. We'd be getting an extra fighter for free. Sure, it's an echo but they still count those as their own fighter.
I doubt it but it would be fun. I mean they are supposedly easier (still time consuming, just easier.) I could see them justifying it in this case because all the characters share a central mechanic but play differently. It'd also add "value" to a DLC pack that I don't think many people seem excited about (sadly.) Also echoes seem a bit like an underutilized concept.

Doubt it would happen, but not impossible.
Besides, it feels that they'd rather save Echoes for the base game. DLC is where they can get really creative, from what we've seen so far.
I meant as part of the same "pack." I fully exspect the ARMS character will be unique and creative, but they all share the ARMS mechanic with added mechanics and abilities on top of it. I don't exspect it to happen, was just saying echoes seem underutilized and was playing on the idea to 'exspect the unexpected.' It's not going to happen, but I wouldn't mind if it did.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
So given recent events of what Zippo and Sabi said, I'm not sure how this affects the ARMS rep. Some folks are saying they could still have him/her in her own representation but figured I'd share the news here.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
So, we don't know when anything happens anymore.

worried tenor.gif

At least Sakurai continues to sally forth.

So given recent events of what Zippo and Sabi said, I'm not sure how this affects the ARMS rep. Some folks are saying they could still have him/her in her own representation but figured I'd share the news here.
So, I guess that what you're saying is that we'll get more :ultbyleth:-styled presentations ninjaed out of nowhere. At least this makes it likelier to have multiple reveals with no Direct...

Edit: According to GamesBeat, it's possible that we won't see the Direct until the end of Summer, guh-huh. :ultbanjokazooie:

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
We are about to enter May, so its another month before information about the ARMS character.

Just hang on for a little bit longer.
Screenshot_20200301-131502_YouTube.jpg

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
In the meantime, people are having a ball with this specific part from the recent Famitsu column.

Let me guess, they think it's a hint.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
In the meantime, people are having a ball with this specific part from the recent Famitsu column.

my arms hurt just looking at that

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
I‘ve talked about this before, but I don’t want Sakurai to throw away all the hard work he and his team did to create the Assist Trophy in the first place and work harder for no reason. Toggling the Assist Trophy to be disabled when you’re selecting them would only make the unnecessary extra work even worse, because as opposed to simply disabling it in a very specific stage (i.e. Knuckles is disabled on :greenhill:, and Alucard is disabled on Wii Fit Studio), you’d essentially be having to disable the Assist Trophy for EVERY SINGLE STAGE. ALL (soon to be) 109 OF THEM. Just to not have the Assist Trophy for the same promoted Assist Trophy you’re playing as. If the character’s Spring Man in the end, he should at least have his Assist Trophy spot given to Springtron, nothing more.

Does this mean I don’t want an Assist promotion ever? Of course not, I’d LOVE to eventually play as Shadow or Zero or Shovel Knight or Alucard, if at all possible. But I’m not willing to see Sakurai go through unnecessary extra work to realize those dreams, even though I’d respect him for it.

Now granted, there’s no rule that Assist Trophies can only be promoted in future games, but…that’s how I want it to stay. I sincerely apologize to anyone who doesn’t take kindly to this post. I only wanted to get my thoughts out.
Feel free to use this meme (not mine) against me when quote of mine turns out to be wrong.
FCA732B3-AB1B-4412-89DC-9D807FA9DEAD.jpeg

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Feel free to use this meme (not mine) against me when quote of mine turns out to be wrong.
View attachment 270748
Why do you think they'd have to program it for every single stage? I don't think that's how Gray Fox's alternate dialog works, or how background-overriding ATs disabling other background-overriding ones do.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Why do you think they'd have to program it for every single stage? I don't think that's how Gray Fox's alternate dialog works, or how background-overriding ATs disabling other background-overriding ones do.
Apples and oranges.

If the dev team is actually competent at coding which they should because I don't even want to imagine how messy the game would be if they weren't, the programming of Gray Fox's alternate dialogue should be closer to things like Palutena's Guidance or the Codec calls than the AT "on/off switch", since all it requires is for Snake to be in the match. No specific stages required, only Snake's presence.

And the background-overriding ATs clashing is also a completely different thing since, again, this is not stage-specific like the AT on/off switch is, but rather something coded to prevent all kinds of visual glitches whenever two of this kind of AT interact with the stage at the same time, which can apply to all stages.

An AT being removed of a specific stage requires an entirely different code than both of your examples, since your examples are things that are global to the game rather than specific to any stage.

Last edited:

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Apples and oranges.

If the dev team is actually competent at coding which they should because I don't even want to imagine how messy the game would be if they weren't, the programming of Gray Fox's alternate dialogue should be closer to things like Palutena's Guidance or the Codec calls than the AT "on/off switch", since all it requires is for Snake to be in the match. No specific stages required, only Snake's presence.

And the background-overriding ATs clashing is also a completely different thing since, again, this is not stage-specific like the AT on/off switch is, but rather something coded to prevent all kinds of visual glitches whenever two of this kind of AT interact with the stage at the same time, which can apply to all stages.

An AT being removed of a specific stage requires an entirely different code than both of your examples, since your examples are things that are global to the game rather than specific to any stage.
But for the assist trophy all it would require is Springman's presence. It's the same criteria.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
But for the assist trophy all it would require is Springman's presence. It's the same criteria.
......actually a fair point lol

But in that case, it's also not programmed like the typical AT switch, so my point still stands. Spring Man would just be an exceptional case. :p

Last edited:

Koopaul

Smash Champion
I guess people are saying it's in the realm of possibility. There's also the fact that when any Link is on Spirit Tracks Alfonso will replace Link as the conductor.

There's all kinds of examples of "something different will happen under these conditions."

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Well given the current debate in the newcomer thread guess Protagonist/Mascot First no longer applies.

Minmin here we come!

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Whelp nevermind then Spring Man and protagonist/mascot rule still reigns as it is.
The big problem that thread has is that they don't realize ARMS as an IP is too young and has yet to really get a sequel, so everything that we see in the one game we get, including how important some characters are, is not as reliable as if it was instead a long-established franchise.

Someone brought up Darkstalkers here at some point and it's a perfect example. Demitri was the main protagonist of the first game. However, the sheer popularity of Morrigan caused the plot to shift in her favor for the next two games. And it's also why Morrigan is in damn near every crossover Capcom makes.

It's really crazy to think, in 2020, of a Darkstalkers game where Morrigan isn't the main character/mascot, especially with how, again, she's in damn near any crossover Capcom makes, yet it's exactly what the first game was.

It shows that nothing is set in stone after just one game of a franchise, so the argument of Spring Man being a mascot isn't as solid as people may think.

And I think this is why we were never told the specific fighter we'd get; because things might end up changing for the characters of ARMS.

Last edited:

RebelMaren

Smash Journeyman
To be honest, such is the popularity of Smash that whoever they chose from ARMS will probably be seen as 'the main character' forevermore. Not to say that they'll just pick whoever they want without considering various factors that make them most apprpriate. My money is on Min-Min personally, but she was always my favourite so I'm influenced by bias.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Made a trailer for if the ARMS character is actually Min Min:

*Cross flair intro*

The trailer opens up to see Biff (As seen in the ARMS Direct from May 2017), who looks at the camera with his signature smile.

"Greetings, ladies and gents! I'm Biff, your trusty ARMS commentator here with an exciting announcement," he says before cutting to the Fighters Pass 2 screen, his face in the bottom corner.

"As you may or may not know, the ARMS League has been chosen for representation in the newest Super Smash Bros. tournament," says Biff. "We at the ARMS League are honored to accept this!"

"And yet, who joins the battle," he asks before it cuts to the still photos of the ARMS roster from the Direct Mini. "Well, today, dear viewer, we finally answer that question!"

"We crunched the numbers, we ran the brackets and we played out the battles, and the one who will join Smash will be..." says Biff as the camera then cuts to a Smash invitation floating down in the air. Suddenly, a single hand on a stretched arm grabs the envelope and pulls it towards the shadow. The lights start lighting up as a single silhouette is made visible. The silhouette jumps up and does a spinning kick into the light, revealing it them to be...

"THE RAMEN BOMBER HERSELF!"

MIN MIN Gets Cooking!

Min Min raises her fist into the air in victory before she sees Piranha Plant, Joker, the DQXI Hero, Banjo & Kazooie, Terry, and F!Byleth in front of her, ready to test her abilities. The five charge towards her before the trailer cuts to the gameplay of Min Min in-game. She is shown to have a playstyle where the Special and Attack buttons are tied to each individual ARM and shows her to have more range than Simon and Byleth, as well as the various signature ARMS she uses. The trailer then shows the stage, the Ramen Bowl, where the Smash fighters are doing battle against Min Min. The trailer then caps off with her Final Smash, which has her equip Hedlok and throw punch after punch after punch before releasing an explosive energy ball that launches everyone in the blast.

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate X ARMS

Min Min finishes her battle against the Pass 1 Fighters, who give her an affirming smile as if to tell that she did good. Just then, five large pillars raise from the earth behind her, a large fiery Smash Ball appearing in the background. The Pass 1 Fighters and Min Min tense themselves as they see five silhouettes atop those pillars.

A man of boundless rage, armed to the teeth and bearing the smell of blood...

A young girl whose services lie in a god unknown...

A bushy-tailed trickster who bears an orb of raw essence in her clawed hands...

A single spirit of light, possessing the strength of one whose body is that of wood...

A hidden being riding atop a large machine, their true identity unknown...

The new figures stare down at the seven fighters, ready to do battle before the screen fades to black...

@ 2018 Nintendo
Original Game: © Nintendo / HAL Laboratory, Inc.
Characters: © Nintendo / Hal Laboratory, Inc. / Pokémon. / Creatures Inc. / GAME FREAK inc. / SHIGESATO ITOI / APE inc. / INTELLIGENT SYSTEMS / Konami Digital Entertainment / SEGA / CAPCOM CO., LTD. / BANDAI NAMCO Entertainment Inc. / MONOLITHSOFT / CAPCOM USA., INC. / SQUARE ENIX CO., LTD. / ATLUS / Microsoft / SNK CORPORATION.

The trailer probably won't have that scene after the "Smash X ARMS" thing (And even if it did it probably won't be the fighters I vaguely described), but the rest seems good, right?

Last edited:

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
The trailer probably won't have that scene after the "Smash X ARMS" thing (And even if it did it probably won't be the fighters I vaguely described), but the rest seems good, right?
The very concept of them pulling the same thing they did when they first teased Ultimate and show silhouettes would be amazing.

Last edited:

Koopaul

Smash Champion
The big problem that thread has is that they don't realize ARMS as an IP is too young and has yet to really get a sequel, so everything that we see in the one game we get, including how important some characters are, is not as reliable as if it was instead a long-established franchise.

Someone brought up Darkstalkers here at some point and it's a perfect example. Demitri was the main protagonist of the first game. However, the sheer popularity of Morrigan caused the plot to shift in her favor for the next two games. And it's also why Morrigan is in damn near every crossover Capcom makes.

It's really crazy to think, in 2020, of a Darkstalkers game where Morrigan isn't the main character/mascot, especially with how, again, she's in damn near any crossover Capcom makes, yet it's exactly what the first game was.

It shows that nothing is set in stone after just one game of a franchise, so the argument of Spring Man being a mascot isn't as solid as people may think.

And I think this is why we were never told the specific fighter we'd get; because things might end up changing for the characters of ARMS.
This whole "mascots can change in the future" argument is irrelevant. Is the mascot of ARMS set in stone? No. It can change. But that doesn't matter because as of right now Spring Man is the mascot. It doesn't matter what might happen in the future. ARMS 2 is not a game yet. Right now Spring Man is the mascot and that's something that really needs to be considered when speculating on who this fighter might be. What happens in the future has no impact on what happens right now.

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
MinMin's still got a strong case in her favor over SpringMan. If the AT wasn't a factor, he'd be viewed a lot more optimistically.

♕Pretty Roger♕

God Roger
NNID
RogelioWii
3DS FC
0602-6365-8680
Switch FC
SW-2762-7992-4597
This whole "mascots can change in the future" argument is irrelevant. Is the mascot of ARMS set in stone? No. It can change. But that doesn't matter because as of right now Spring Man is the mascot. It doesn't matter what might happen in the future. ARMS 2 is not a game yet. Right now Spring Man is the mascot and that's something that really needs to be considered when speculating on who this fighter might be. What happens in the future has no impact on what happens right now.
Of course the future doesn't dictate the past, what happens right now will have an influence in the future, any decision will have consequences in the future. The present dictates the future, not the other the other way around.

The Arms rep will affect who is seen as the mascot, but you are looking it the other way around, the mascot won't be defined by Smash rather Smash will define the mascot because Nintendo and the ARMS developers definitely had influence in the decision, is up to them if they'd like to take a new approach going forward. (Plus no one is saying Springman would disappear, he will be in every ARMS and Smash game as an AT if necessary)

Last edited:

Koopaul

Smash Champion
I honestly don't think that's the case. I don't think whoever gets into Smash is supposed to be what the developers want for the future of ARMS. I think whoever gets in Smash is supposed to represent ARMS as it is now. I simply think Nintendo wants to promote the game ARMS. That's all. I don't think there's anything more to it. It doesn't seem likely that the developers of ARMS are planning to decide the series future starting with Smash.

Now that doesn't mean the Smash fighter won't influence the future of ARMS. There's a good chance it will. However, I don't think it's a part of a grand plan on the developers part. Like, if Min Min gets in Smash for one reason or another, that doesn't mean they did that to make Min Min the new mascot. And even if that does happen and Min Min becomes the new mascot because of Smash, I don't think the devs did it on purpose.

Either way. You should approach speculation with the mindset that this fighter is to promote the game ARMS. Nothing more. Nothing less. This idea that the series' future is going to determine what character is chosen for Smash now doesn't seem realistic to me.

On an unrelated note. Your last sentence implies that you believe that Smash will continue in the same direction. It's possible that Ultimate might be the last Smash Bros game of this kind. And that every fighter, Assist Trophy, Stage, and more may be reset from the ground up. Assist Trophies might not even exist in the next Smash! How do we know what the future for Smash or ARMS even is?

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
Developer intent matters because depending on how they use the party crash bash results, for all we know Min Min could be the current champion of the Arms tournament.

Arms as it is right now should take into account that Min Min has the belt as of the last major event the game had. What you're arguing for makes sense for Arms as it was pre-release where Spring-Man and Ribbon Girl were on the box and the first characters revealed. Making the argument that they want to represent Arms as it is right now IS a strong case for Min Min.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
guys guys, you may all be over thinking this just a little, its there just a chance that nintendo went "hey why dont you include an arms character" and sakurai went "well i did always like playing as this one"

On an unrelated note. Your last sentence implies that you believe that Smash will continue in the same direction. It's possible that Ultimate might be the last Smash Bros game of this kind. And that every fighter, Assist Trophy, Stage, and more may be reset from the ground up. Assist Trophies might not even exist in the next Smash! How do we know what the future for Smash or ARMS even is?
where does this idea of a reboot keep coming from

osby

Smash Obsessed
guys guys, you may all be over thinking this just a little, its there just a chance that nintendo went "hey why dont you include an arms character" and sakurai went "well i did always like playing as this one"
I wouldn't entertain the idea, personally. It would be an extremely unprofessional way to pick a character you expect people to purchase.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
It's also possible that the ARMS devs have another idea for which ARMS character can represent the IP right now and don't want to wait until a sequel is finished to show it.

ARMS itself is nearly three years old. That's more than enough time for the ARMS team to figure out what they need to do for the franchise as a whole, including who can represent the game in guest appearances such as Smash, which may or may not be the current mascot.

With that said, Spring Man being the token beginner-friendly character will always make him a mascot of the franchise because it's always a good idea to have one of those as a mascot for a fighting game franchise. If whoever gets in Smash gets promoted to mascot status in ARMS, they would basically be alongside Spring Man rather than take his spot for that reason alone.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
why not? whos says sakurai is an extremely methodical planner?
The fact that every character he added to the game has something going for them other than "I think they're neat". I know this fandom likes to characterize Sakurai as some sort of irresponsible troll who does whatever he wants without thinking but that's really not how characters are decided in reality. It's mostly just fans refusing to accept characters they don't like can have logic behind their addition.

Not to mention Nintendo has nothing to gain from letting Sakurai pick the character randomly when they can insist on a more marketable character.

Top Bottom