• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Congratulations, Min Min! ARMS character(s) for Smash discussion

Which character do think will be revealed in June?

• Spring Man

Votes: 54 16.3%
  • Ribbon Girl

Votes: 12 3.6%
  • Ninjara

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Mechanica

Votes: 2 0.6%
  • Master Mummy

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Min Min

Votes: 104 31.4%
  • Helix

Votes: 7 2.1%
  • Kid Cobra

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Byte & Barq

• Twintelle

Votes: 25 7.6%
  • Max Brass

Votes: 18 5.4%
  • Lola Pop

Votes: 7 2.1%
  • Spring Tron

• Misango

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dr. Coyle

Votes: 19 5.7%
  • Biff

Votes: 8 2.4%
  • Combination of 2 or more interchangeable characters

Votes: 66 19.9%
  • Other (specify in thread)

Votes: 3 0.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MattX20

Smash Hero
So, what time in June do you think the ARMS fighter will be revealed/released?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
So, what time in June do you think the ARMS fighter will be revealed/released?
Third week, I'd assume. Or maybe first. I don't even know anymore.

Maybe around when E3 was supposed to be this year, since Nintendo usually does their digital events before E3 actually begins.
I recall, someone on here assumed it'd be on the 10th, so I guess they were referring to that?

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
My personal guess is no later than the third week of June given how E3's cancellation affected things

RebelMaren

Smash Journeyman
I'm curious what their plan was prior to E3's cancellation. The fighter still needs a reveal and a demonstration, which I imagine is too long for the E3 direct which would have been followed by Treehouse. Maybe they planned a live demo this time, or just a reveal at E3 followed by a demo with Sakurai later in the month. As it stands I now expect a reveal followed immedietly by a demo and finally a release date for a week later, same as Byleth, though I wonder if they might need to re record some of the demo too account for changes in the release plan.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
I'd like to add to that Spirit Theory. Of the ARMS spirits in the base game, only Spring Man, Ribbon Girl, and Ninjara have another peice of official artwork with a transparent background. Min Min and Twintelle only have one peice of artwork with a transparent backround and it's already being used for the base Spirits. Now a fighter gets their own Spirit after beating Classic Mode. Min Min and Twintelle have no more artwork that could be used as a Classic mode Spirit.

However, that didn't stop Pokemon Trainer or Cloud who just use their Smash artwork. But it's something to think about.

MattX20

Smash Hero
That, and given how long it's been since the ARMS fighter became public knowledge, I seriously doubt that FP6 is the only reveal for next month.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Who knows? With what's been going on lately they might not be quite ready to show off the next fighter. We might get another ARMS situation where they hint at who the next fighter might be and not tell you exactly it might be.

The reason I think they announced the ARMS fighter the way they did is because Sakurai doesn't like revealing the next fighter without some kind of trailer. I don't think they were ready to make a trailer so instead they gave us the "Which ARMS character will it be?" To hold us over without revealing exactly who it is.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
There would need to be a plausible reason, since (intentional) teases for upcoming fighters seldom happen. For ARMS, this makes sense, since there's an entire roster of fighters, so figuring out who it is is like looking for a needle in a stack of needles.

At any rate, I'm not gonna stick around for long, since we're looking at yet another dull month of little activity.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
I like to hover around and see if theres a heated discussion to jump into. I rather enjoy challenging ideas and having my ideas be challenged. I'm surprised there hasn't been too many people going through each and every ARMS character one-by-one detailing their pros and cons for being chosen as a fighter. Give me a little bit. I might do that.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Okay time for my analysis of each fighter. I'll do them 3 at a time. Discussing their moves and abilities. Their pros and cons. And how I think they might work in Smash.

Spring Man
Undeniably the face of ARMS. As many people say, that might not always be the case, but as of right now it is.
ARMS & ABILITIES
-Toaster is his signature glove. A regular old punch with a fire effect. Nice and standard.
-Boomerang is a pretty understandable glove that would translate well into Smash and a decent projectile.
-Tribolt is a spread shot. Another easy to use and understand glove.
-The ability Shockwave allows him to parry attacks while dodging at the right time. Smash fighters can already parry attacks. So the devs could either just say that this ability is covered or apply it in some other way.
-Bounce Back allows his gloves to be permacharged once his health has dropped lower than 25%. This could also be easily translated into Smash by giving him a slight power boost once he's reached a certain percentage.
PROS
-Mascot of ARMS. Historically speaking the mascot is mostly chosen to rep a series before any other fighter.
-Moveset and abilities convey the basics or ARMS better than most fighters. His stats are pretty decent too.
CONS
-Already an Assist Trophy. This is a big one and the biggest argument against Spring Man. While they could easily turn the Spring Man Assist Trophy off when someone is playing as Spring Man, they devs might just rather pick another fighter instead since there are so many to choose from. It really depends on how much they want Spring Man.

Ribbon Girl
The other face of ARMS. She sings the theme song so that's something.
ARMS & ABILITIES
-Sparky is her signature glove. It stuns people when charged up.
-Slapamanders is a whip like arms that flail around. This might be a bit harder to translate into Smash but not too hard.
-Poppers are fast but weak. Another simple one that will work in Smash.
-Ribbon Girl can multi-jump and fast fall. This can either be a Pro or a Con. It's a pro because it will translate well into Smash. It might be a con because it might make her OP? Imagine being able to float in the air AND have insane range!
PROS
-ARMS second mascot. An important figure and could still rep ARMS nicely.
-Since Spring Man is an Assist they might go with the other mascot who isn't an Assist.
-Also has pretty good moves and abilities that go well into Smash but perhaps not as well as Spring Man.
CONS
-Like mentioned above, maybe the ability to float around and have long ranged punches might be a bit much. Ribbon Girl would need a bit more work balancing her abilities than some other fighters.

Ninjara
A decently popular fighter for ARMS. He's often seen as a rival for Spring Man.
ARMS & ABILITIES
-His signature ARMS is the Chakram. It curvs and swirves. Not really the best to be your standard attack in Smash. But it doesn't have to be.
-Buff is his second glove. This is a pretty standard boxing glove. It's not his first glove of choice or the one we see him using in his artwork but it would work best in Smash for normal attacks.
-Triblast is similar to Spring Man's Tribolt except it explodes! Maybe a bit much?
-Ninjara has the ability to teleport by poofing around. This could be used as a recovery Special or just as his normal dodge.
PROS
-Decently popular. Not the most popular but popular enough that I don't think people would be too upset to see him in Smash.
-He's seen somewhat as a rival to Spring Man. If they don't want to use Spring Man because he's an Assist, maybe they think a rival of his might be the next best thing.
-Most of his abilities would translate decently into Smash.
CONS
-Not quite as popular as some other fighters. If the devs are picking a fighter based on popularity alone than Ninjara would be beaten out.
-Some of his moves and abilities don't convey the message of ARMS as well as some other fighters could.

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
Okay time for my analysis of each fighter. I'll do them 3 at a time. Discussing their moves and abilities. Their pros and cons. And how I think they might work in Smash.

Spring Man
Undeniably the face of ARMS. As many people say, that might not always be the case, but as of right now it is.
ARMS & ABILITIES
-Toaster is his signature glove. A regular old punch with a fire effect. Nice and standard.
-Boomerang is a pretty understandable glove that would translate well into Smash and a decent projectile.
-Tribolt is a spread shot. Another easy to use and understand glove.
-The ability Shockwave allows him to parry attacks while dodging at the right time. Smash fighters can already parry attacks. So the devs could either just say that this ability is covered or apply it in some other way.
-Bounce Back allows his gloves to be permacharged once his health has dropped lower than 25%. This could also be easily translated into Smash by giving him a slight power boost once he's reached a certain percentage.
PROS
-Mascot of ARMS. Historically speaking the mascot is mostly chosen to rep a series before any other fighter.
-Moveset and abilities convey the basics or ARMS better than most fighters. His stats are pretty decent too.
CONS
-Already an Assist Trophy. This is a big one and the biggest argument against Spring Man. While they could easily turn the Spring Man Assist Trophy off when someone is playing as Spring Man, they devs might just rather pick another fighter instead since there are so many to choose from. It really depends on how much they want Spring Man.

Ribbon Girl
The other face of ARMS. She sings the theme song so that's something.
ARMS & ABILITIES
-Sparky is her signature glove. It stuns people when charged up.
-Slapamanders is a whip like arms that flail around. This might be a bit harder to translate into Smash but not too hard.
-Poppers are fast but weak. Another simple one that will work in Smash.
-Ribbon Girl can multi-jump and fast fall. This can either be a Pro or a Con. It's a pro because it will translate well into Smash. It might be a con because it might make her OP? Imagine being able to float in the air AND have insane range!
PROS
-ARMS second mascot. An important figure and could still rep ARMS nicely.
-Since Spring Man is an Assist they might go with the other mascot who isn't an Assist.
-Also has pretty good moves and abilities that go well into Smash but perhaps not as well as Spring Man.
CONS
-Like mentioned above, maybe the ability to float around and have long ranged punches might be a bit much. Ribbon Girl would need a bit more work balancing her abilities than some other fighters.

Ninjara
A decently popular fighter for ARMS. He's often seen as a rival for Spring Man.
ARMS & ABILITIES
-His signature ARMS is the Chakram. It curvs and swirves. Not really the best to be your standard attack in Smash. But it doesn't have to be.
-Buff is his second glove. This is a pretty standard boxing glove. It's his first glove of choice or the one we see him using in his artwork but it would work best in Smash for normal attacks.
-Triblast is similar to Spring Man's Tribolt except it explodes! Maybe a bit much?
-Ninjara has the ability to teleport by poofing around. This could be used as a recovery Special or just as his normal dodge.
PROS
-Decently popular. Not the most popular but popular enough that I don't think people would be too upset to see him in Smash.
-He's seen somewhat as a rival to Spring Man. If they don't want to use Spring Man because he's an Assist, maybe they think a rival of his might be the next best thing.
-Most of his abilities would translate decently into Smash.
CONS
-Not quite as popular as some other fighters. If the devs are pick a fighter based on popularity than Ninjara would be beaten out.
-Some of his moves and abilities don't convey the message of ARMS as well as some other fighters could.
Definitely curious to see Min Min's analysis

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Only a couple of things worth pointing out.

Unlike what the name would imply, the Boomerang ARMS are not projectiles. They're only released from the player's arm when they hit something as a fancy way to show that they're, well, boomerangs. I could see them have a hitbox when they return though.

Then again, the very nature of ARMS being reflectable by Shield ARMS (Guardian and Clapback) can also imply that all ARMS can be treated similarly to projectiles in Smash by making them reflectable.

This ability comes from stopping an ARMS charge without punching, so it wouldn't be the same thing as Smash's usual parry since it would need to be implimented within a different move than the shield.

Wouldn't be the first time we got a whip in Smash, so I don't see why this one specifically would be hard to translate.

It might be a con because it might make her OP? Imagine being able to float in the air AND have insane range!
Depends on how good the aerials are, really.

Look at Little Mac. His aerials have some, if not the best frame data for aerials in the entire cast. But they're still lacking damage, knockback and actually good hitboxes to the point of being useless regardless of their speed.

Having amazing range and aerial mobility would not mean much if Ribbon Girl's aerials lack notable power or utility. It'd be more useful for camping than actually getting KOs.

Still pretty good analysis on all three though.

Last edited:

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Unlike what the name would imply, the Boomerang ARMS are not projectiles. They're only released from the player's arm when they hit something as a fancy way to show that they're, well, boomerangs. I could see them have a hitbox when they return though.
I thought when they were fully charged they released from the glove.

This ability comes from stopping an ARMS charge without punching, so it wouldn't be the same thing as Smash's usual parry since it would need to be implimented within a different move than the shield.
In ARMS shielding also charges your ARMS but doesn't parry. Holding the dodge or jump button is the only way for Spring Man to parry. But in Smash they could just say "It works different in Smash".

Wouldn't be the first time we got a whip in Smash, so I don't see why this one specifically would be hard to translate.
Most whips you can aim in Smash actually shoot straight. The Slapamanders and other whip ARMS flail around at different angles and slap at the tip. It's a more intricate animation. It's done in rapid jabs like Ivysaur and the Belmonts. Accompanied by a swoosh effect. I think it might be a little trickier if you could control and aim a long range flailing animation in Smash.

Depends on how good the aerials are, really.

Look at Little Mac. His aerials have some, if not the best frame data for aerials in the entire cast. But they're still lacking damage, knockback and actually good hitboxes to the point of being useless regardless of their speed.

Having amazing range and aerial mobility would not mean much if Ribbon Girl's aerials lack notable power or utility. It'd be more useful for camping than actually getting KOs.

Still pretty good analysis on all three though.
Oh I'm aware that it could be balanced. I don't put it past the Smash team to make anything work. I'm just approaching it from a "what would be more work? And what would be the easiest thing to do?" Spring Man seems like he would be easier to make into a fighter than others. I just wanted to detail what specifically might make a fighter slightly harder to animate or balance than Spring Man.

Last edited:

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
Then again, the very nature of ARMS being reflectable by Shield ARMS (Guardian and Clapback) can also imply that all ARMS can be treated similarly to projectiles in Smash by making them reflectable.
That could actually be an interesting mechanic for an ARMS character that could make them fairly high skill and separate the casuals (not that there's anything wrong with that.), from those who really want to learn the character. A lot of people worry about and question whether the crazy attack range we're all expecting them to have will make them busted (something we'll definitely hear people claim they are for the first two weeks until we all settle down and actually start learning the match ups.), annoying, unfun to play against, wifi warriors, etc., but maybe the exchange for having a, for example lets say forward smash that reaches across Battlefield is that if you just spam it and your opponent has a reflector, well then you punch yourself a la a TF2 Boston Basher-esque drawback. An ARMS character could be good if they have really long range smashes, tilts, aerials, etc., but using them wisely could be the game plan if your at constant risk or hitting yourself if you play them carelessly (Not to mention the potential ever present worry that long range moves could in exchange have really bad end lag that leaves you open for punishes as you wait for your arm to come back to you.).

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
I thought when they were fully charged they released from the glove.
Nope. Even then it works the way I said.

The only ARMS that are straight up projectiles (IIRC) are the Poppers, Revolvers, the Tribolts, the Hydras, the Lokjaws and any variant of them.

And out of all of them, only the Lowjaw doesn't have a rope connecting the projectile to the ARM.

In ARMS shielding also charges your ARMS but doesn't parry. Holding the dodge or jump button is the only way for Spring Man to parry. But in Smash they could just say "It works different in Smash".
The charge mechanic would probably be implimented, likely as a special.

If so, there's where the shockwave is.

Most whips you can aim in Smash actually shoot straight. The Slapamanders and other whip ARMS flail around at different angles and slap at the tip. It's a more intricate animation. It's done in rapid jabs like Ivysaur and the Belmonts. Accompanied by a swoosh effect. I think it might be a little trickier if you could control and aim a long range flailing animation in Smash.
They could also just simplify the moveset and only give her two ARMS, skipping the whip one entirely.

RebelMaren

Smash Journeyman
The thing I'm most excited to see regarding how the handle the moveset is the way you control your punches in mid air in ARMS. Using the controller you can steer a punch UNTIL you throw out your other fist, then control switches to the other fist, giving you the option of staggering your punches to use one to force your opponent to move and the next to hit them when they're vulnerable. Or using the 2nd hit immediatly after the 1st to commit to one strong hit that leaves you vulnerable for taking the risk. I tend to play by staggering my punches, saving a punch for either defence or punish, it's why I gravitated towards Min-Min as I can rely on a strong left hook after baiting with the right.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
I totally expect them to allow you to aim most of your punches. Which is why I'm thinking about what signature ARMS a fighter has and how they might behave in 2D rather than 3D.

And it's true. They might only give the fighter one set of signature ARMS and not any of the other ones. Maybe I should change my analysis to just focus on their main signature ARMS only because they are guaranteed to use those.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
I totally expect them to allow you to aim most of your punches. Which is why I'm thinking about what signature ARMS a fighter has and how they might behave in 2D rather than 3D.

And it's true. They might only give the fighter one set of signature ARMS and not any of the other ones. Maybe I should change my analysis to just focus on their main signature ARMS only because they are guaranteed to use those.
They could also use two ARMS instead of all three.

There's so many possibilities.

RebelMaren

Smash Journeyman
One idea I had that I'm curious whether it would work is that you choose your ARMS upon losing a stock (and briefly at the start of a match). So like in a ARMS match you have to commit for a round, but within a match you have options.

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
At the very least, we've only a little over a month left to go for the reveal/release

dimensionsword64

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3609-1605-6649
The ARMS fighter really has a lot of potential for gimmicks. The fighter could switch ARMS during the battle, they could have a charge mechanic through shielding or a Special Move, or they could even have a Rush Meter. Of course, there's also the character specific gimmicks. And all of this is on top of the fact that they have super stretchy arms. We're likely to get a really interesting character.

MattX20

Smash Hero
The ARMS fighter really has a lot of potential for gimmicks. The fighter could switch ARMS during the battle, they could have a charge mechanic through shielding or a Special Move, or they could even have a Rush Meter. Of course, there's also the character specific gimmicks. And all of this is on top of the fact that they have super stretchy arms. We're likely to get a really interesting character.
Considering the amount of extra time needed, I imagine the gameplay mechanic is fairly involved

Koopaul

Smash Champion
I get this feeling that if they were to use more than one type of ARMS they'd be tied to specific moves. Like Min Min would use the big heavy Megawatt as a Smash attack, the Dragon would be Neutral Special.

But there's a possibility they'll just stick to one glove. These fighters are packed full of unique abilities, I don't know if they'll use all of them.

RebelMaren

Smash Journeyman
I imagined maybe a choice of Arms that only affected your Smash attacks and maybe a special or 2, other Arms could pop in for certain attacks, maybe helicopter nunchucks for recovery and a one of the shields could show up when you block.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
I’ve decided to cut Spring Man a bit of slack and create a moveset for him:
Intro: Spring Man falls down and lands on his arms, bouncing into his fighting stance.

Stance/Idle 1: His idle animation from ARMS.

Idle 2: Spring Man briefly looks towards the camera and smiles.

Idle 3: Spring Man flexes, mimicking one of his renders from ARMS.

Notable Palette Swaps:
-Default (Blue)
-Left input colors (Brown)
-Right input colors (Red)
-Down inputs colors (Cyan)
-Springtron (Black)
-Dr. Coyle (Green)
-Max Brass (Gold)
-Hedlok (White)

Walk: His walk from ARMS.

Jog: His jog from ARMS.

Dash: His dash from ARMS.

Damage: His damage animation from ARMS.

Jump: His jump from ARMS.

Crouch: Spring Man ducks behind his Toasters.

Weapon of Choice: ARMS, a special type of melee weapon designed for ARMS fights.

Jab: Spring Man uppercuts twice (8%, OK knockback), flurries attacks with his Toaster ARMS (1-3% each, small knockback), and then finishes with a punch with a fire effect (7%, OK knockback)
Forward+A: Spring Man reaches out one of his ARMS at a moderate distance (8%, OK knockback)
Down+A: Spring Man punches with one of his ARMS.
Up+A: Spring Man uppercuts above himself in an arc with his left ARM (9%, OK knockback)

Air+A: Spring Man spins around, letting his ARMS flail (11%, OK knockback)
Air Forward+A: Spring Man extends his left ARM (9%, OK knockback)
Air Back + A: Spring Man extends his right ARM (9%, OK knockback)
Air Up+A: Spring Man arc uppercuts with his right ARM (12%, OK knockback)
Air Down+A: Spring Man punches diagonally downward (14% with a meteor effect, OK knockback); this mimics one of his renders from ARMS.

Dash Attack: Spring Man punches with a brief shockwave around one of his ARMS (9%, OK knockback)
Edge Attack: Spring Man semi-propels himself back onto the stage (8%, OK knockback)
Get-Up Attack: Spring Man spins around with his ARMS (13%, OK knockback)

Smash Moves
Forward+A: Spring Man punches with a multi-hit Boomerang, similarly to his Assist Trophy counterpart (17%, OK knockback)
Up+A: Spring Man punches both his Toasters together, created a burst of flames (18%, medium knockback)
Down+A: Spring Man takes his Tribolts and creates a huge shockwave of electricity that slightly shocks himself (21%, medium knockback)

Grab: A shortened version of the normal ARMS grab.
Pummel: Spring Man uses the Toaster ARMS to squeeze his target (2%)
Forwards+Throw: Byte & Barq’s throw (14%, medium knockback)
Down+Throw: Spring Man throws the target on the ground like he’s shooting a basketball into the hoop, burying the target (13%)
Back+Throw: An altered version of Ribbon Girl’s throw (14%, OK knockback)
Up+Throw: Spring Man’s throw (17%, OK knockback)

Special Moves

B : Tribolt; Spring Man fires three orange tip missiles out of one of his Tribolt ARMS (9%, small knockback). Hold B to fire the missiles out of both ARMS, which can stun a target (19%, OK knockback)
B + Forwards : Boomerang; Spring Man lets out one of his Boomerang ARMS. It goes an okay distance, and then returns to him (4%-7% per hit, small knockback). The angle can be adjusted as it goes out and returns.
B + Up : Slingshot Grab; Spring Man fully extends his ARMS towards the sky. When he grabs a ledge, he propels himself straight upwards. When he grabs a target, he propels himself towards them and bounces them away (15%, OK knockback), stopping him midair (1.3% recoil)
B + Down : Shockwave; Spring Man briefly summons a shockwave around himself that pushes back fighters (6%, small knockback) and nullifies any attack that gets close to him.

Final Smash: Rush Flurry; Spring Man flurries targets in a HUGE horizontal area (39%) and then deals a finishing blow that can hit multiple targets (20% each hit, devastating knockback)

Gimmick: When Spring Man hits 100% damage (or the last ¼ of his HP in Stamina Battles), he will glow red, which not only boosts his attack power by x1.3, but also slightly alters his specials:

-Tribolt can now Fire an endless amount of missiles, albeit only 4 at a time (6% each, OK knockback)
-Boomerang now envelops itself in winds, but with slightly less range and no ability to change its angle (24%, medium knockback)
-Slingshot Grab now goes the furthest Spring Man’s ARMS can go, as well as reduces the recoil taken when grabbing a target (.6% recoil; 19%, medium knockback)
-Shockwave now has a bigger radius (14%, OK knockback) and reflects projectiles, but needs a 3-second cool down.

Taunts
1: “Spring-a-Ling!” “Boi-oi-oi-oi-oing!" Spring Man’s selection animation from ARMS.
2: Spring Man mimics one of his renders from ARMS, where he punches towards the camera with his left ARM.
1+2: “Alright!” Spring Man flexes his right ARM.

Winposes
1: Spring Man’s victory animation where he handstands and jumps back onto the ground, raising his left ARM in victory.
2: Spring Man’s victory animation where he propels himself with his right ARM, and then raises his left one again.
3: Spring Man’s Grand Prix victory animation from ARMS, belt and everything.

Icon: The ARMS symbol.

Boxing Ring Title: The Springy Bouncer

Victory Music: https://youtu.be/tlCUDhXlkRA

Kirby Hat: Spring Man’s hair, mask and irises.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I’ve decided to cut Spring Man a bit of slack and create a moveset for him:
Intro: Spring Man falls down and lands on his arms, bouncing into his fighting stance.

Stance/Idle 1: His idle animation from ARMS.

Idle 2: Spring Man briefly looks towards the camera and smiles.

Idle 3: Spring Man flexes, mimicking one of his renders from ARMS.

Notable Palette Swaps:
-Default (Blue)
-Left input colors (Brown)
-Right input colors (Red)
-Down inputs colors (Cyan)
-Springtron (Black)
-Dr. Coyle (Green)
-Max Brass (Gold)
-Hedlok (White)

Walk: His walk from ARMS.

Jog: His jog from ARMS.

Dash: His dash from ARMS.

Damage: His damage animation from ARMS.

Jump: His jump from ARMS.

Crouch: Spring Man ducks behind his Toasters.

Weapon of Choice: ARMS, a special type of melee weapon designed for ARMS fights.

Jab: Spring Man uppercuts twice (8%, OK knockback), flurries attacks with his Toaster ARMS (1-3% each, small knockback), and then finishes with a punch with a fire effect (7%, OK knockback)
Forward+A: Spring Man reaches out one of his ARMS at a moderate distance (8%, OK knockback)
Down+A: Spring Man punches with one of his ARMS.
Up+A: Spring Man uppercuts above himself in an arc with his left ARM (9%, OK knockback)

Air+A: Spring Man spins around, letting his ARMS flail (11%, OK knockback)
Air Forward+A: Spring Man extends his left ARM (9%, OK knockback)
Air Back + A: Spring Man extends his right ARM (9%, OK knockback)
Air Up+A: Spring Man arc uppercuts with his right ARM (12%, OK knockback)
Air Down+A: Spring Man punches diagonally downward (14% with a meteor effect, OK knockback); this mimics one of his renders from ARMS.

Dash Attack: Spring Man punches with a brief shockwave around one of his ARMS (9%, OK knockback)
Edge Attack: Spring Man semi-propels himself back onto the stage (8%, OK knockback)
Get-Up Attack: Spring Man spins around with his ARMS (13%, OK knockback)

Smash Moves
Forward+A: Spring Man punches with a multi-hit Boomerang, similarly to his Assist Trophy counterpart (17%, OK knockback)
Up+A: Spring Man punches both his Toasters together, created a burst of flames (18%, medium knockback)
Down+A: Spring Man takes his Tribolts and creates a huge shockwave of electricity that slightly shocks himself (21%, medium knockback)

Grab: A shortened version of the normal ARMS grab.
Pummel: Spring Man uses the Toaster ARMS to squeeze his target (2%)
Forwards+Throw: Byte & Barq’s throw (14%, medium knockback)
Down+Throw: Spring Man throws the target on the ground like he’s shooting a basketball into the hoop, burying the target (13%)
Back+Throw: An altered version of Ribbon Girl’s throw (14%, OK knockback)
Up+Throw: Spring Man’s throw (17%, OK knockback)

Special Moves

B : Tribolt; Spring Man fires three orange tip missiles out of one of his Tribolt ARMS (9%, small knockback). Hold B to fire the missiles out of both ARMS, which can stun a target (19%, OK knockback)
B + Forwards : Boomerang; Spring Man lets out one of his Boomerang ARMS. It goes an okay distance, and then returns to him (4%-7% per hit, small knockback). The angle can be adjusted as it goes out and returns.
B + Up : Slingshot Grab; Spring Man fully extends his ARMS towards the sky. When he grabs a ledge, he propels himself straight upwards. When he grabs a target, he propels himself towards them and bounces them away (15%, OK knockback), stopping him midair (1.3% recoil)
B + Down : Shockwave; Spring Man briefly summons a shockwave around himself that pushes back fighters (6%, small knockback) and nullifies any attack that gets close to him.

Final Smash: Rush Flurry; Spring Man flurries targets in a HUGE horizontal area (39%) and then deals a finishing blow that can hit multiple targets (20% each hit, devastating knockback)

Gimmick: When Spring Man hits 100% damage (or the last ¼ of his HP in Stamina Battles), he will glow red, which not only boosts his attack power by x1.3, but also slightly alters his specials:

-Tribolt can now Fire an endless amount of missiles, albeit only 4 at a time (6% each, OK knockback)
-Boomerang now envelops itself in winds, but with slightly less range and no ability to change its angle (24%, medium knockback)
-Slingshot Grab now goes the furthest Spring Man’s ARMS can go, as well as reduces the recoil taken when grabbing a target (.6% recoil; 19%, medium knockback)
-Shockwave now has a bigger radius (14%, OK knockback) and reflects projectiles, but needs a 3-second cool down.

Taunts
1: “Spring-a-Ling!” “Boi-oi-oi-oi-oing!" Spring Man’s selection animation from ARMS.
2: Spring Man mimics one of his renders from ARMS, where he punches towards the camera with his left ARM.
1+2: “Alright!” Spring Man flexes his right ARM.

Winposes
1: Spring Man’s victory animation where he handstands and jumps back onto the ground, raising his left ARM in victory.
2: Spring Man’s victory animation where he propels himself with his right ARM, and then raises his left one again.
3: Spring Man’s Grand Prix victory animation from ARMS, belt and everything.

Icon: The ARMS symbol.

Boxing Ring Title: The Springy Bouncer

Victory Music: https://youtu.be/tlCUDhXlkRA

Kirby Hat: Spring Man’s hair, mask and irises.
This is pretty good! I especially like the idea of the up-B being a tether recovery that doesn't just pull you to the ledge but also gives you more air. That's super unique, I don't know how it hasn't been done yet.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
I'm continuing my thoughts and analysis with three more fighters.

Master Mummy
One of the original fighters to be shown off when ARMS was revealed.
ARMS & ABILITIES
-Megaton is a giant slow fist that can smash it's way through other attacks. Appropriate for a character who is so big. Both in ARMS and Smash.
-Retorcher is a rapid fire shot of three flaming missile like ARMS. In Smash this might be good at racking up damage.
-Pheonix is a fast projectile that might be good at keeping your opponent away in Smash. And yes, this one really is a projectile and flies off the glove.
-Master Mummy doesn't flinch when he takes damage so I imagine he'd basically have Bowser's Though Guy armor.
-He can also heal himself slowly while shielding! This could be easy to impliment in Smash and helpful for a big heavy.
PROS
-He'd be pretty easy to implement into Smash. All of his abilities and gloves would work very well in Smash. The Megaton would work well as his standard glove for attacking seeing how he is a big heavy guy.
-He was also one of the first fighters shown off in the reveal trailer.
CONS
-He's not very popular. Most fighters beat him out in a popularity contest.
-He's not even close to being the mascot or even a future mascot. There's just a bunch of other fighters that have more going for them and Master Mummy just doesn't seem too special in comparison.

Min Min
The most popular character in ARMS and winner of the last big Party Crash. A serious contender.
ARMS & ABILITIES
-Her signature ARMS is the Dragon which actually shoots a firey laser rather than hits people. This is easy to impliment into Smash and would make sense as her Neutral Special in my eyes.
-Megawatt is a big heavy electrified glove that eats through other attacks and shocks the opponent.
-Ramrams are a firey version of Ninjara's Chakram. It's designed to curve around to attack.
-Min Min can kick in the air. The ability to kick is something that could give her moveset more variety in Smash. But maybe not something the devs think is the best way to rep ARMS? More on that later.
-Min Min can turn her left noodle arm into a dragon arm and make her attacks bigger and permacharged until it's knocked out of her. This could be a pretty cool gimmck in Smash and compliments the long range style of Smash fighters nicely.
PROS
-The most popular fighter. That a huge help for her to be the one picked. If the devs decide the fighter to rep ARMS should be based on who is most loved, it would be her hands down.
-She has a some stuff that other fighters don't have to make a more diverse moveset.
CONS
-Her ability to kick might actually subvert the core concept of ARMS. Perhaps the devs want a fighter who is all about punching to rep ARMS the best way possible.
- None of her signature ARMS would be good for basic standard attacks. The Dragons shoot a laser and the RamRams curve about the place. Her only signature glove that just regularly punches you is a big heavy electrified one. I can't imagine they would use the Megawatt for her standard attacks. If the devs choose a fighter they think would represent the series the best then Min Min is beat out by other fighters.

Mechanica
The last fighter of the original ARMS fighters to be shown off in the reveal trailer. She doesn't actually have the ARMS ability and uses a mech suit instead.
ARMS & ABILITIES
-Her standard ARMS is the Revolver. A triple hit rapid attack with shocking results. Easy enough to be a Special Attack, but would it be good for standard attacks? More on that later.
-She also has the Homies which home into people and explode! Another attack that would be a cool special attack.
-The Whammers are big ol' hammers. A natural fit for a heavy fighter.
-Mechanica's suit gives her the same non-flinch armor that Master Mummy has. So expect that would be implimented the same way.
-She can also hover in the air with her suit's jetpacks. Could this ability get a little campy in Smash?
PROS
-She was one the origibal fighters shown off in the reveal trailer... That's something I guess.
CONS
-Much like Master Mummy she really has nothing going for her in popularity and isn't really a significant figure in the game. Not as a mascot, not lore wise, nothing.
-She completely lacks a standard punch move with her signature gloves. Sure, any fighter in ARMS can wear any glove. But I think it if they wanted to create a fighter for Smash that has long distance punches, they'd pick somebody who comes naturally with punchy gloves instead of giving a fighter who doesn't come with punchy gloves.

I'll do more later. For now feel free to discuss what I said and take it apart if you like.

Last edited:

GolisoPower

Smash Master
- None of her signature ARMS would be good for basic standard attacks. The Dragons shoot a laser and the RamRams curve about the place. Her only signature glove that just regularly punches you is a big heavy electrified one. I can't imagine they would use the Megawatt for her standard attacks. If the devs choose a fighter they think would represent the series the best then Min Min is beat out by other fighters.
Though you do seem to have a point, there have been some cases where basic attacks are unorthodox. (Meta Knight, Mega Man, Bayonetta to a degree)

For the Dragon, take a look at Mega Man, for example. A lot of his attacks are projectiles, whether it's the run-and-gun jab/side tilt, the Charge Shot for the side-smash, or the various other projectiles for his aerials, so the concept of energy projectiles as normals isn't that out there.

As for the RamRam, considering how much curve that attack can do, there'd be no problem adapting it, I'd say. Just tweak the curve to be vertical instead of horizontal. It'll still attain the spirit of the weapon while being sufficiently tweaked for Smash.

And lastly the Megawatt: the Megawatt could just be a part of her Smash attacks. I mean, considering how huge they can get and the fact that they can stun on hit, that seems too OP to be something like a tilt attack or the like.

Last edited:

RebelMaren

Smash Journeyman
I had a kind of crazy idea for an ARMS stage that I wanted to bring up. Remember when Ryu originally came out for Smash 4 people used the Stage builder to make plain, flat stages to emulate playing a traditional fighting game for Ryu mirror matches.

Alongside Terry we got Sakurai's take on the concept, even including invisible, smashable walls to make the stage something other than a regular walk off stage. What if they do something like that again, but this time, make an official stage based on the 'Smashketball' stages people have made in the character creator.

Themed around ARMS' 'Hoops' bonus rounds, the stage has several hoops in the background, the aim in this stage is to smah opponents towards the hoops, if it's accurate enough/is high enough power, they go through the hoop and get KO'd into the background. Otherwise the bounce off and the fight continues.

Personally I find that the KoF stage brings a really different feeling to a Smash match and I find myself playing on it regularly, I'd love to see more stages with gimmicks that really change the way the game plays, and judging from the custom stages available, I'm not alone in that.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Though you do seem to have a point, there have been some cases where basic attacks are unorthodox. (Meta Knight, Mega Man, Bayonetta to a degree)

For the Dragon, take a look at Mega Man, for example. A lot of his attacks are projectiles, whether it's the run-and-gun jab/side tilt, the Charge Shot for the side-smash, or the various other projectiles for his aerials, so the concept of energy projectiles as normals isn't that out there.

As for the RamRam, considering how much curve that attack can do, there'd be no problem adapting it, I'd say. Just tweak the curve to be vertical instead of horizontal. It'll still attain the spirit of the weapon while being sufficiently tweaked for Smash.

And lastly the Megawatt: the Megawatt could just be a part of her Smash attacks. I mean, considering how huge they can get and the fact that they can stun on hit, that seems too OP to be something like a tilt attack or the like.
Oh the problem isn't that the Smash team would have trouble making Min Min into a fighter. The problem more lies with the fact that they'd be repping the ARMS series with someone who doesn't have normal punches. That's the thing. If the ARMS devs are picking a fighter based on who could represent the concept of ARMS the best, Min Min might not be the best choice. The best character to represent ARMS as a series is someone who can throw a stretchy punch. Imagine putting in a fighter to rep ARMS who doesn't throw a stretchy punches. It's kind of absurd.

Now maybe the devs don't care. I'm only speculating. But the announcement in the Direct Mini made it sound like they were excited to add ARMS as a series into Smash. Not just one particular fighter. This made some people speculate that there might be more than one. But I don't know. All I know is that someone whos signature ARMS actually punch would be a perfect picture for the series.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Oh the problem isn't that the Smash team would have trouble making Min Min into a fighter. The problem more lies with the fact that they'd be repping the ARMS series with someone who doesn't have normal punches. That's the thing. If the ARMS devs are picking a fighter based on who could represent the concept of ARMS the best, Min Min might not be the best choice. The best character to represent ARMS as a series is someone who can throw a stretchy punch. Imagine putting in a fighter to rep ARMS who doesn't throw a stretchy punches. It's kind of absurd.

Now maybe the devs don't care. I'm only speculating. But the announcement in the Direct Mini made it sound like they were excited to add ARMS as a series into Smash. Not just one particular fighter. This made some people speculate that there might be more than one. But I don't know. All I know is that someone whos signature ARMS actually punch would be a perfect picture for the series.
If I may chime in for a second, that's fairly some fairly sound reasoning. For the culture that Nintendo's a part of, the journey itself is more enjoyable than the destination, so if one thinks along those lines, the fact that ARMS in general got playable representation at all is more exciting in itself than whoever they've picked, so that makes sense.

Well, that and the distinct possibility that the full reveal for that series is a curveball of some kind.

Last edited:

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Every fighter in ARMS can use any glove. They could give Min Min the Toasters, but then at that point, why not put the guy who uses those gloves in Smash instead?

In my opinion, whoever they pick will most likely use just their signature ARMS. That is, unless this fighter uses A TON of different ARMS. Like every attack uses a different glove.

Last edited:

RebelMaren

Smash Journeyman
I feel like any combination of 3 ARMS, bodyshape and unique ability is going to have some drawbacks/challenges for the design team. Ultimately they aren't bound to those rules, or any rules really. Not to say it's not worthwhile speculating about each individual character via their default builds, but just respect that they might make some changes to better suit Smash. maybe the fighter might even use a completely new one specifically for Smash, like how Shulk brings new Monado Arts.

Afterall speculation on Byleth ended up differing from the released character quite a bit.

Top Bottom