• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Congratulations, Min Min! ARMS character(s) for Smash discussion

Which character do think will be revealed in June?

• Spring Man

Votes: 54 16.3%
  • Ribbon Girl

Votes: 12 3.6%
  • Ninjara

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Mechanica

Votes: 2 0.6%
  • Master Mummy

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Min Min

Votes: 104 31.4%
  • Helix

Votes: 7 2.1%
  • Kid Cobra

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Byte & Barq

• Twintelle

Votes: 25 7.6%
  • Max Brass

Votes: 18 5.4%
  • Lola Pop

Votes: 7 2.1%
  • Spring Tron

• Misango

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dr. Coyle

Votes: 19 5.7%
  • Biff

Votes: 8 2.4%
  • Combination of 2 or more interchangeable characters

Votes: 66 19.9%
  • Other (specify in thread)

Votes: 3 0.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
I think it was a lot more than Witch time that made Bayonetta's original kit so divisive... Also Bayonetta's witch time is utilized differently from Twintelle/wouldn't have the safety net of bat within.
But on the other hand, it wouldn't be a counter, so Twintelle's could potentially have less risk.

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
Okay, place your bets, everyone! What’s it gonna be for when the ARMS character is revealed? Will it be:

A. Just ARMS and nothing else

B. ARMS + 1st/2nd party

C. ARMS + 3rd party
I honestly think its just gonna be A. considering the current situation we are all in. Though personally I would hope we get situation B. Could care less about situation C. tbh

osby

Smash Obsessed
But on the other hand, it wouldn't be a counter, so Twintelle's could potentially have less risk.
Still, there's not much point of writing off characters over balance issues of imaginary movesets. You can find ways for any potential newcomer to break the game.

Who would've guessed that Pichu would be higher tier than Meta Knight, Pikachu, Bayonetta, and Fox when Ultimate first came out (at least for a while)?

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Still, there's not much point of writing off characters over balance issues of imaginary movesets. You can find ways for any potential newcomer to break the game.

Who would've guessed that Pichu would be higher tier than Meta Knight, Pikachu, Bayonetta, and Fox when Ultimate first came out (at least for a while)?
Honestly, I don't see it at much of an argument myself because a lot of ARMS characters could potentially break the game if not handled properly.

Kid Cobra's mobility buffs, Min Min's dragon arm, Max Brass' buffing, Springtron's shockwave, Dr. Coyle's everything, etc.

And if you remove all the ones that could potentially be busted, you pretty much remove all the characters who have actually fun mechanics. Many of which actually complement the basic mechanics of ARMS too, so it could potentially lead to a really intuitive gimmick.

Besides, if they can manage to add RNG :ulthero: and actual super moves :ult_terry: without seeming broken, they could probably pull off whatever they have for the ARMS character too.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Consider the following: there was a rarely-reported on article saying that one of the determining factors behind Sakurai wanting a second pass is if the characters in the first one didn't run into severe balancing snags like Bayo in 4.

Needless to say, they pulled it off, if true, and it's the last thing to worry about that would get in a character's way.

If anything, they would have more of a problem knowing who to pick in this case, since ARMS only has one game established. It's hard to go wrong with anyone from there since they all can "really streeeetch".

Okay, place your bets, everyone! What’s it gonna be for when the ARMS character is revealed? Will it be:

B. ARMS + 1st/2nd party

C. ARMS + 3rd party
C, but then again I thought the August 2018 Direct would start with a first party and end with a third-party, so what do I and others even know? They could do anything, so you lot better not have done physical bets on this.

Last edited:

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Consider the following: there was a rarely-reported on article saying that one of the determining factors behind Sakurai wanting a second pass is if the characters in the first one didn't run into severe balancing snags like Bayo in 4.
Link to that article?

C, but then again I thought the August 2018 Direct would start with a first party and end with a third-party
If you watch it in reverse, your prediction was 100% true :troll:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Link to that article?

If you watch it in reverse, your prediction was 100% true :troll:
Like I said, it's been rarely reported-on, so I can't find it, sorry. :ohwell:Meanwhile an obvious fake text leak from 5Chan got more attention, smh. It is a moot point now anyways though; the second pass is real, and it's here. Whoever they choose as the ARMS characters is likely to be one of the more complex additions so far.

Well, in a way, that's true, I guess.

Last edited:

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101

B. ARMS + 1st/2nd party

C. ARMS + 3rd party
Hot take, D- ARMS + 1st party and 3rd party. The last pass had 3 characters revealed by E3, and smash has often had triple reveals at E3, like Villager, MegaMan and Wii Fit, Miis, Palutena, and PacMan, Lucas, Roy, and Ryu (I guess that one is more like a 2.5 reveal which is more like what we'd have this time).

I'm predicting Rex or King Boo for the 1st party (I think both are coming eventually) and Rayman for the 3rd party.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Hot take, D- ARMS + 1st party and 3rd party. The last pass had 3 characters revealed by E3, and smash has often had triple reveals at E3, like Villager, MegaMan and Wii Fit, Miis, Palutena, and PacMan, Lucas, Roy, and Ryu (I guess that one is more like a 2.5 reveal which is more like what we'd have this time).

I'm predicting Rex or King Boo for the 1st party (I think both are coming eventually) and Rayman for the 3rd party.
I...I just don't see 3 newcomers being revealed at once. Especially given this Pass is suppose to run up until 2021.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

They’d definitely reveal FP7 in full but probably not FP8. FP8 I can see getting a barebones tease at the max

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
I...I just don't see 3 newcomers being revealed at once. Especially given this Pass is suppose to run up until 2021.
Well that was put there as a placeholder, as was confirmed a long time back, so we don't know how long it will take. It wouldn't really be 3 since the ARMS character is already half revealed, and this would only put the pass on the same track as FP1 was on.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Well that was put there as a placeholder, as was confirmed a long time back, so we don't know how long it will take. It wouldn't really be 3 since the ARMS character is already half revealed, and this would only put the pass on the same track as FP1 was on.
You ain't wrong, I mean we went around half a year before we even knew how Joker played like.

Besides, we got 6 fighters this time, rather than 5, so there's a little more wiggle room for this kind of stunt. And there's been a strange lack of big Nintendo game plans lately, so I figure that the June Direct (former E3) will showcase those.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Besides, didn't most companies transition into remote development from home by now? It's not like everyone shut down completely like Capcom did, and Sakurai himself decided to use remote work, despite acknowledging the apparent security risks (which somehow didn't result in any leaks, so far).

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I still only expect the ARMS rep and FP7.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
I still only expect the ARMS rep and FP7.
That's fine. I wasn't arguing that you had to agree with me.
Wasn't there already a "Maybe we'll get 3 fighters" thing before Byleth was revealed.
I think Fatman said that at one point but I never bought into it. This is E3 where there is a ton of precedence for triple reveals. The fact that someone else made a similar prediction before about a much smaller event isn't evidence against my suggestion.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
One thing that should always be remembered is to expect the unexpected.

Just like when people didn't expect Ultimate to have DLC. Or a second Fighter's pass. Or the possibility of having first-party DLC.

Sure, it couldn't happen, but it's also likely that it could. This isn't about some hokey Grinch hoax, but personal assumptions.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
According to Sakurai there have not been any problems with the work from home situation and DLC development is proceeding as planned. Looks like we should not be expecting a delay after all.

Source

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
According to Sakurai there have not been any problems with the work from home situation and DLC development is proceeding as planned. Looks like we should not be expecting a delay after all.

Source
>offices have dirty air
In a way, it's much healthier for him to work at home than expected.
>apparently there are leaks for possible upcoming third-party characters
Never heard of those, but probably fake, especially the LoL one as it would require precise timing for the latest game to release on Switch before reveal.

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
Besides, didn't most companies transition into remote development from home by now? It's not like everyone shut down completely like Capcom did, and Sakurai himself decided to use remote work, despite acknowledging the apparent security risks (which somehow didn't result in any leaks, so far).
This doesn't necessarily mean everything can proceed as normal. It depends a lot on what work has or hasn't been done. Remote work can have other unknown impact.

For example, if a pre-rendered video for the character reveal was being worked on by external vendors and those vendors closed or got delayed, it would likely also impact the reveal of the character.

Another consideration is that we don't know how the company's workers were affected by the circumstances. Maybe an office is able to do remote work, but key developers or engineers have to still avoid work because of having to take care of kids at home or because they got sick.

In any case, I think it's wise to not assume remote work will fix any potential delays, and we should be ready to understand potential delays in the development cycle no matter what. Two characters for E3 is already fairly optimistic; for all we know they'll take advantage of E3 getting cancelled to keep june announcements more lowkey than usual. Three characters would be very fortunate.

I also agree with the other point that while this is a 6 character pack, it's also meant to last into 2021. I don't think it would be wise to blow their load this early and kill momentum when you can easily space out reveals across the two years (3 character reveals in 2020, 3 in 2021)

GolisoPower

Smash Master
>apparently there are leaks for possible upcoming third-party characters
Never heard of those, but probably fake, especially the LoL one as it would require precise timing for the latest game to release on Switch before reveal.
I can understand your thinking with the LoL leak. All I can say in that regard is to keep in mind that it did say we were getting a Trials of Mana spirit event four months before we did get it, but whether or not that's lucky guessing is still up in the air. I can understand if you think it's super-fake, but it's best to keep this leak in mind, as it's, to my knowledge, not disproven yet, whether by big-name leakers or Nintendo themselves.

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
Speaking of "leaks", one said that a Character from the upcoming Ninjala could be another potential challenger for Smash.

IDK if that is believable since it's a new IP with the release date coming next week.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I can understand your thinking with the LoL leak. All I can say in that regard is to keep in mind that it did say we were getting a Trials of Mana spirit event four months before we did get it, but whether or not that's lucky guessing is still up in the air. I can understand if you think it's super-fake, but it's best to keep this leak in mind, as it's, to my knowledge, not disproven yet, whether by big-name leakers or Nintendo themselves.
It is likely that some fake leaks are either guesswork, or only half-truths. Especially considering how fake Direct leaks tended to mention a Switch port of Cuphead before it eventually became real.

Also, it took a danged long time for the 5Chan leak for Fighter Pass 1 to be disproven, the only things that one managed to get right was Mementos, :ulthero: as a base character, and :ulthero3:as an alt. So I could expect a repeat situation to occur.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
It is likely that some fake leaks are either guesswork, or only half-truths. Especially considering how fake Direct leaks tended to mention a Switch port of Cuphead before it eventually became real.

Also, it took a danged long time for the 5Chan leak for Fighter Pass 1 to be disproven, the only things that one managed to get right was Mementos, :ulthero: as a base character, and :ulthero3:as an alt. So I could expect a repeat situation to occur.
so, the ToM spirits and Hollow Knight costume are true but LoL Character is false? i can see this happening tbh

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Speaking of "leaks", one said that a Character from the upcoming Ninjala could be another potential challenger for Smash.

IDK if that is believable since it's a new IP with the release date coming next week.
I mean, I wouldn't be against it. It looks interesting, at least. Though that might be the Splatoon influence talking...

I could see it getting a Spirit Event, at least.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Oh yeah, a while back some users/fans surmised that since the base roster apparently had "enough characters" due to bringing back all veterans, it meant there wouldn't be any need for the staff to add DLC.

Needless to say, those individuals were proven wrong.
you think people would learn not to assume by now

did they think it was a nintendo ip?

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
One thing that should always be remembered is to expect the unexpected.

Just like when people didn't expect Ultimate to have DLC. Or a second Fighter's pass. Or the possibility of having first-party DLC.

Sure, it couldn't happen, but it's also likely that it could. This isn't about some hokey Grinch hoax, but personal assumptions.
Exspect the unexspected? What if we got the ARMS character and then an echo from ARMS using the same arms mechanic? I mean if they really work on the ARMS mechanic and really wanted two different characters to show it off. I doubt it would happen but it isn't impossible.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Exspect the unexspected? What if we got the ARMS character and then an echo from ARMS using the same arms mechanic? I mean if they really work on the ARMS mechanic and really wanted two different characters to show it off. I doubt it would happen but it isn't impossible.
Spring Man and echo fighter Ribbon Girl. I'd love that. But I doubt that they'd do that. We'd be getting an extra fighter for free. Sure, it's an echo but they still count those as their own fighter.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Didn't it say :ulthero3: would be the main Hero?
Nah, I distinctly remember it saying Luminary as main, and Anlucia and Erdrick as alts. Middle one didn't happen, of course.

Spring Man and echo fighter Ribbon Girl. I'd love that. But I doubt that they'd do that. We'd be getting an extra fighter for free. Sure, it's an echo but they still count those as their own fighter.
Besides, it feels that they'd rather save Echoes for the base game. DLC is where they can get really creative, from what we've seen so far.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904

Unless it's sucess is bigger than the queue to get into the beta, I can't see it happening. A promo spirit event maybe?

Top Bottom