• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Congratulations, Min Min! ARMS character(s) for Smash discussion

Which character do think will be revealed in June?

• Spring Man

Votes: 54 16.3%
  • Ribbon Girl

Votes: 12 3.6%
  • Ninjara

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Mechanica

Votes: 2 0.6%
  • Master Mummy

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Min Min

Votes: 104 31.4%
  • Helix

Votes: 7 2.1%
  • Kid Cobra

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Byte & Barq

• Twintelle

Votes: 25 7.6%
  • Max Brass

Votes: 18 5.4%
  • Lola Pop

Votes: 7 2.1%
  • Spring Tron

• Misango

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dr. Coyle

Votes: 19 5.7%
  • Biff

Votes: 8 2.4%
  • Combination of 2 or more interchangeable characters

Votes: 66 19.9%
  • Other (specify in thread)

Votes: 3 0.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Trevenant

Smash Lord
That is my point, Trevenant. They need to get consumers to buy the Fighter Pass, and ARMS isn't going to be enough to sell, hence my comments about a big fan favorite request or a major 3rd party character.
I'm confused. Just so I'm clear I'm just saying people will eventually get interested with a character who they want no matter when they were revealed. The only thing that would stop that is if they decided not to purchase the DLC because Nintendo didn't reveal the DLC in time which would probably be the minority and a rather childish one at that. They may want the cash ASAP but I think they wouldn't care to wait as I can't imagine it having much of an effect to make it less lucrative than it would have been.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Is it just me, or is there a mountain out of a molehill being made out of the placeholder deadline?

Yes, it could be longer than last time, but that doesn't mean the staff will sit on their laurels and release the last character at the very last month either.

Just wait and see how the releases and announcements will come out. It's not like we're expecting the most complex characters in history here.

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
I'm confused. Just so I'm clear I'm just saying people will eventually get interested with a character who they want no matter when they were revealed. The only thing that would stop that is if they decided not to purchase the DLC because Nintendo didn't reveal the DLC in time which would probably be the minority and a rather childish one at that. They may want the cash ASAP but I think they wouldn't care to wait as I can't imagine it having much of an effect to make it less lucrative than it would have been.
It's really simple. A major fan favorite request like Geno, Shantae, or Lloyd Irving for example would get people interested in the pass, or for major 3rd party characters, Crash Bandicoot and Rayman would get consumers invested in the second fighter pass. ARMS, while it did sell 2 million copies, just wasn't the major hit like Splatoon ultimately was and while the ARMS rep will undeniably be unique, it's not going to get the average consumer to go nuts for it.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
It's really simple. A major fan favorite request like Geno, Shantae, or Lloyd Irving for example would get people interested in the pass, or for major 3rd party characters, Crash Bandicoot and Rayman would get consumers invested in the second fighter pass. ARMS, while it did sell 2 million copies, just wasn't the major hit like Splatoon ultimately was and while the ARMS rep will undeniably be unique, it's not going to get the average consumer to go nuts for it.
They still keep the average consumer in mind to some capacity. Why else would there be the likes of :ultisabelle: and :ultincineroar:, if not to have them go "oh hey look, those noteworthy characters are in Smash" and get curious about it?

While the hardcore base is important, it's not the only audience that Smash aims for. I still think this pass will have an even mix of mainstream and cult picks.

Trevenant

Smash Lord
I definitely agree with that, I must have misread something about them needing to announce them early. I think they can announce them about any time abit later but not too unreasonably.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Why people think it will be Min Min ? and not Spring Man ?
Aside from Spring Man being an Assist Trophy and having already a predetermined AI:

- Min Min won the final Party Crash Bash. The ARMS equivalent of Splatfests
- the director of ARMS said Min Min is his favorite
- Min Min has worldwide popularity, while Ninjara’s only super popular in Japan and Twintelle is mainly popular in the US + Europe

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Aside from Spring Man being an Assist Trophy and having already a predetermined AI:

- Min Min has worldwide popularity, while Ninjara’s only super popular in Japan and Twintelle is mainly popular in the US + Europe
But wasn't it also said Spring Man is his favorite too alongside her?

Also popularity has never been an factor given they always go with the protagonist and mascot.

Which is why I'm having an feeling it might not be her.

Plus knowing Sakurai, breaking the assist trophy rule is something I could see happening.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
predetermined AI
Why would this have anything to do with who gets chosen? They'd probably call for something like fighter_kind_bounce's AI when a bot is playing as Spring Man, not asf_springman.

I think people are making **** up about why AT promos can't happen at this point. When will we get someone that says "I bricked my Switch trying to install a Waluigi skin so they can't make promoted AT DLC"?

Last edited:

The_Naraotor

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1669-2956-1774

Oh I see thanks for this ingsight.

Also popularity has never been an factor given they always go with the protagonist and mascot.

Which is why I'm having an feeling it might not be her.

Plus knowing Sakurai, breaking the assist trophy rule is something I could see happening.
I don't know how I'd feel if Sakurai break the assist trophy rule, I somehow hear the roaring of billion of Waluigi fan lol

Trevenant

Smash Lord
Why people think it will be Min Min ? and not Spring Man ?
I dunno nowadays I see more people saying springman. More people definitely prefer Min Min but I guess people just have a tough time avoiding the fact that springman has nearly if not the most in his favour based solely on how he is the mascot and how the assist won't stop Nintendo from adding him. I'm personally expecting him because I can't imagine them going with anyone but him.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I know I'm gonna be salty if Spring Man makes it in at all. Not supremely salty, though, just sad.
What if he explains how easy it was to disable the assist and showcases how the assist's resources were reused?

GolisoPower

Smash Master
What if he explains how easy it was to disable the assist and showcases how the assist's resources were reused?
Fam, I'm not sure you realize how willing the internet is to throw reason out the window. These are the same guys who would pretend Sakurai never said that only video game characters can make it in and advocate for Goku after countless rejections and an attempt to compromise in the form of:ulthero:.

Trevenant

Smash Lord
One thing about Spring Mans model in Smash VS ARMS is how his gloves are attached to the model in Smash but in ARMS they are missing entirely due to how they are interchangeable. That would need some tweaks but aside from a touched up model, it'd be smooth sailing. The animations are perfectly fine as Spring Man is perfectly to scale with the rest of the case as he currently is in terms of heights so that would definitely make things easier.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Fam, I'm not sure you realize how willing the internet is to throw reason out the window. These are the same guys who would pretend Sakurai never said that only video game characters can make it in and advocate for Goku after countless rejections and an attempt to compromise in the form of:ulthero:.
I still go by the "video game characters only" rule.

...Although I CAN admit I used not to because I didn't know that rule even existed during the Smash 4 days. Back then, I wanted SpongeBob.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
One thing about Spring Mans model in Smash VS ARMS is how his gloves are attached to the model in Smash but in ARMS they are missing entirely due to how they are interchangeable. That would need some tweaks but aside from a touched up model, it'd be smooth sailing. The animations are perfectly fine as Spring Man is perfectly to scale with the rest of the case as he currently is in terms of heights so that would definitely make things easier.
Yeah, I'm mainly assuming the animations/sounds/maybe some code is what will be reused, not the model. Dark Samus and Isabelle got new models from scratch for this game.

Trevenant

Smash Lord
Yeah, I'm mainly assuming the animations/sounds/maybe some code is what will be reused, not the model. Dark Samus and Isabelle got new models from scratch for this game.
I'd imagine they'd probably use the assist model as a base at least. At the very least, from the assist we can assume how the character would play out.

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
They still keep the average consumer in mind to some capacity. Why else would there be the likes of :ultisabelle: and :ultincineroar:, if not to have them go "oh hey look, those noteworthy characters are in Smash" and get curious about it?

While the hardcore base is important, it's not the only audience that Smash aims for. I still think this pass will have an even mix of mainstream and cult picks.
It's why I bring up examples like Rayman and Crash. Even casual audiences would know who those two are

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Oh I see thanks for this ingsight.

I don't know how I'd feel if Sakurai break the assist trophy rule, I somehow hear the roaring of billion of Waluigi fan lol
Imagine the salt if Spring Man is the only one due to having been considered for Base.
Imagine the salt if we find out they only picked anyone that's not appeared in the game in any capacity (spirit, AT, stage cameo, etc), because it wouldn't be as surprising otherwise.

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
Plus, we should also take this into account: it's been nearly 2 months since the ARMS rep was announced to be on the way. Given that everything but the identity of the fighter is more or less known at this point, it doesn't make sense to not have FP7 revealed to further boost interest in the pass. Nintendo needs something to hold fans over until the fall/early winter of this year as it's pretty much likely that we're only getting the first half of the pass this year and the other 3 will be released throughout 2021

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Plus, we should also take this into account: it's been nearly 2 months since the ARMS rep was announced to be on the way. Given that everything but the identity of the fighter is more or less known at this point, it doesn't make sense to not have FP7 revealed to further boost interest in the pass. Nintendo needs something to hold fans over until the fall/early winter of this year as it's pretty much likely that we're only getting the first half of the pass this year and the other 3 will be released throughout 2021
Why I suspect we'll be getting the ARMS rep and FP7.

Whether their own individual reveal trailers or an double reveal like Kencineroar (Rayman would really fit given the whole limbs) is another discussion.

Trevenant

Smash Lord
If it's a sakurai presentation, I think the chances of a new character go way down. It doesn't seem likely that they'd reveal a new character dedicated to another character who we don't even know the identity of yet.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
We'll have to wait and see what happens for the character reveal. Though given the situation the world is in right now, most of us have many bigger priorities to wait for.

Like has that nice pancake place survived or will I be forced to cycle to town even though I can telecommute just fine because the freakin' extroverts always want thing their way?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Like has that nice pancake place survived or will I be forced to cycle to town even though I can telecommute just fine because the freakin' extroverts always want thing their way?
Well, I saw an EB Games being open earlier today and the mom & pop game store chain I occasionally go to has been active since the last couple weeks, so that's a start. Still waiting for my library job to be less overprotective of me enough to call me back.

Compared to those two, buying a variety of games at Wal-Mart is so ineffective that it's better to focus on the money cards.

If it's a sakurai presentation, I think the chances of a new character go way down. It doesn't seem likely that they'd reveal a new character dedicated to another character who we don't even know the identity of yet.
Who even knows? Even he breaks his own habits sometimes. We can only wait at this point.

Besides, the initial ARMS fighter announcement itself wasn't even by Sakurai nor did it have his direct involvement.

Last edited:

Trevenant

Smash Lord
Well, I saw an EB Games being open earlier today and the mom & pop game store chain I occasionally go to has been active since the last couple weeks, so that's a start. Still waiting for my library job to be less overprotective of me enough to call me back.

Who even knows? Even he breaks his own habits sometimes. We can only wait at this point.

Besides, the initial ARMS fighter announcement itself wasn't even by Sakurai nor did it have his direct involvement.
No one knows but that's just the main draw of speculation. I'm basing it off of what I think is logical
We'll have to wait and see what happens for the character reveal. Though given the situation the world is in right now, most of us have many bigger priorities to wait for.

I'd be kind of worried if all someone has to look forward to was a character in a video game at any point. Still though this is the arms thread so it is meant to incentivize discussion of it

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Regarding Smash, what's logical doesn't always hold up. It was seen as logical for this game to release without DLC. Or for it to only have one season of DLC.

I know better than to assume that. One's mind must always be flexible to any unforeseen factors, regardless if there is evidence or not.

Last edited:

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504

Honestly, I have my doubts on the character being Spring Man.

Not because he's already an AT because frankly, if Nintendo and Sakurai want to break that rule, nothing's stopping them.

I'm thinking there's just no way it's him based on the fact that they give us a guessing game with the entire roster.

If it was just Spring Man, they basically already have a fully completed model before they even started to work on the character, so by the time the Direct drops, they would absolutely have enough to show us a gameplay teaser or something rather than "it can be anyone"

I don't think we'll get the mascot or a protagonist this time, and that this will be the only instance of the "mascot/protag first" "rule" being broken.

But I also don't think we'll just get a random nobody that has no real impact on the story nor any noteworthy popularity like Lola Pop or Misango.
It's going to be either someone who directly affects the plot or someone who is very popular.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
Honestly, I have my doubts on the character being Spring Man.

Not because he's already an AT because frankly, if Nintendo and Sakurai want to break that rule, nothing's stopping them.

I'm thinking there's just no way it's him based on the fact that they give us a guessing game with the entire roster.

If it was just Spring Man, they basically already have a fully completed model before they even started to work on the character, so by the time the Direct drops, they would absolutely have enough to show us a gameplay teaser or something rather than "it can be anyone"

I don't think we'll get the mascot or a protagonist this time, and that this will be the only instance of the "mascot/protag first" "rule" being broken.

But I also don't think we'll just get a random nobody that has no real impact on the story nor any noteworthy popularity like Lola Pop or Misango.
It's going to be either someone who directly affects the plot or someone who is very popular.
Yeah that whole teasing screams "for this one, it will be a character selected on another criteria", things such as popularity or gameplay potential. Heck, Sakurai could pick Coyle because she is floaty like Dhalsim in Street Fighter (when you see Incineroar borrowing from Zangief and Alex, it's not that far fetched :p)

On the other hand, while functionnal, assist trophies models are definitely not on the same level of those of playable fighters. An assist could work as a basis, especially on the animations, but I do believe that the 3D model would be highly remade in that scenario.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
They wouldn't show Ridley's shadow just to reveal he's a boss!

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
On the other hand, while functionnal, assist trophies models are definitely not on the same level of those of playable fighters. An assist could work as a basis, especially on the animations, but I do believe that the 3D model would be highly remade in that scenario.
I don't think it'd be remade from scratch. They'd at least use what they have as a base for the model and improve on it.

Top Bottom