• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Congratulations, Min Min! ARMS character(s) for Smash discussion

Which character do think will be revealed in June?

• Spring Man

Votes: 54 16.3%
  • Ribbon Girl

Votes: 12 3.6%
  • Ninjara

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Mechanica

Votes: 2 0.6%
  • Master Mummy

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Min Min

Votes: 104 31.4%
  • Helix

Votes: 7 2.1%
  • Kid Cobra

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Byte & Barq

• Twintelle

Votes: 25 7.6%
  • Max Brass

Votes: 18 5.4%
  • Lola Pop

Votes: 7 2.1%
  • Spring Tron

• Misango

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dr. Coyle

Votes: 19 5.7%
  • Biff

Votes: 8 2.4%
  • Combination of 2 or more interchangeable characters

Votes: 66 19.9%
  • Other (specify in thread)

Votes: 3 0.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
I Do Legitimately want her in FOR those Reasons; and Because When I Did the Arms Free Trial; I Legitimately Enjoyed Playing as Her!!

Seriously; Please just Let me want who I want just because I want her in the game!!
That part in bold is actually a really good reason. Maybe I wouldn't have been so judgemental had I known that part...

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
She's definitely the fan favourite overall and won the big tourney event but I don't for a second believe Sakurai would JUST add Min Min alone, she does have a unique power up arm but that can easily not be in, like how DQ8 hero doesn't use Munchie for any attacks. In general most ARMS characters are very popular (barring Misango) so adding multiple at once seems like what they'd do. Fyi the final smash WILL be using all the other ARMS characters if they do this,
Multicostume will work. I just hope we get something the fans want. Admitingly I am super bias in wanting it to be either SM, RG, Twintelle, Min Min or Ninjara. What if the Final Smash is the character gets Hedlok attached and it is used to really give a beating?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Although we haven't had an especially consistent track record with DLC alts so far, I would at least hope for an even mix of base game and DLC ARMS characters. If it's to be the only chance we get an ARMS representative, going big for this one would be an ideal course of action.

The ARMS cast using their signature moves in a FS brawl would be cool, I will say.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Took an age but I finally updated the front page in full.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
Twintelle is in an awkward place where she wouldn’t work well as a costume due to how her ARMS work. (Hair instead of being her actual arms)

Kind of feel like she’ll be one of the characters referenced in a color swap.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I wonder if we'd be able to get a full body version of this art as a Spirit...

View attachment 267391
Yeah it does stand out among the others awkwardly.

Speaking of, I've made three separate thread for Dr. Coyle, Ribbon Girl and Lola Pop. I think that's all the threads I can handle so besides them, Spring Man and Min Min, the others are open for the taking.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Fanmade ARMS Spirit Board incoming!

1585343785124.png

• Advanced Grab Primary
  • Opponent: Giant Donkey Kong (White)
  • Stage: Dracula’s Castle
  • Rules:
    • The opponent’s grab power is increased.
    • The opponent has super armor.
    • The opponent will occasionally instantly gain a Final Smash.
    • Defeat the main fighter to win.
  • Spirit Effect: Super Armor

1585343841422.png

• Advanced Defense Primary
  • Opponent: Jigglypuff (Nurse Hat)
  • Stage: Magicant
  • Rules:
    • The opponent will occasionally turn giant.
    • The opponent will occasionally gain increased defense.
    • The opponent will occasionally instantly gain a Final Smash.
  • Spirit Effect: Weight +

1585343878641.png

• Advanced Support
  • Opponent: Mr. Game and Watch (Green)
  • Stage: Frigate Orpheon
  • Rules:
    • The opponent will be equipped with a Poke Ball (Ditto)
    • The opponent has increased dodge frames.
  • Spirit Effect: Dodge +

1585343920129.png

• Advanced Support
  • Opponent: R.O.B. and Wolf (Both Metal)
  • Stage: Wuhu Island (Beach)
  • Rules:
    • The opponent will keep respawning. (Wolf)
    • The opponent has increased grab power.
  • Spirit Effect: Braking Ability

1585343956210.png

• Ace Balanced Primary
  • Opponent: Mii Brawler (Dunban Wig, Skull Kid’s Outfit)
  • Stage: Distant Planet
  • Rules:
    • The opponent may get increased attack power.
    • The opponent may get increased speed.
    • The opponent may get an instant Final Smash.
    • The player gets occasionally poisoned.
  • Spirit Effect: Transformation Duration +

1585343993567.png

• Ace Attack Primary
  • Opponent: Spring Man (Springtron colors)
  • Stage: Boxing Ring
  • Rules:
    • The player will occasionally get stunned.
    • The opponent occasionally gets increased attack power and speed.
  • Spirit Effect: Metal

1585344026736.png

• Ace Support
  • Opponent: Inkling (Dark Purple)
  • Stage: Moray Towers
  • Rules:
    • The player has increased speed.
    • The player is equipped with a boomerang.
  • Spirit Effect: Speed +

1585344060570.png

• Ace Defense Primary
  • Opponent: Wendy
  • Stage: Port Town Aero Drive (Omega)
  • Rules:
    • The opponent is equipped with a Tanooki Leaf.
    • The opponent has super armor.
  • Spirit Effect: Tanooki Leaf Equipped

1585344085818.png

• Ace Attack Primary
  • Opponent: Incineroar (Yellow)
  • Stage: Sky Arena
  • Rules:
    • The opponent will occasionally get super armor.
    • The opponent likes to taunt.
    • The opponent will temporarily become giant.
  • Spirit Effect: Slow Super Armor

1585344121036.png

• Legend Balanced Primary
  • Opponent: Bayonetta (Green), Mr. Game and Watch (Green), Spring Man (Springtron colors)
  • Stage: Shadow Moses Island (Omega)
  • Rules:
    • The opponent is equipped with a Rocket Belt.
    • The opponent will occasionally turn invisible.
    • The opponent may get an instant Final Smash.
    • Defeat all fighters to win.
  • Spirit Effect: Double Hits: Attacks have a chance to hit twice.

Attachments

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Pretty much concluded were probably gonna get the Hero treatment so.

Spring Man/Ribbon Girl/Ningara/Minmin/Alt Spring Man/Alt Ribbon Girl/Alt Ningara/Alt Minmin

Springtron replaces Spring Man as his assist trophy.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
The Twintelle thread is up for grabs so if you believe they're using Bayonetta as a base, this might be your chance.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
I wished to clarify that the Spirit Board I posted is one I made up. Sorry if anyone misunderstood it as official.

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
Was super excited when this got announced. 2nd most hype DLC character after Byleth IMO. Nintendo is on a roll with these last 2 DLC characters.

Who I want: Twintelle, Dr. Coyle, or Master Mummy (he was my main in ARMS when I played it)

Who I think it will be: A new ARMS character for a sequel or a big expansion update OR Spring-Man & Ribbon Girl as an alt.

From a 1st party character perspective this game had seen the best set of newcomers since Brawl IMO. We're getting a good blend of classic Nintendo characters (King K.Rool, Wolf, Ridley, Daisy, Dark Samus) as well as new school Nintendo characters (Byleth, Inkling, Incineroar, Chrom, Isabelle, and now an ARMS rep). THIS is what I like about Smash Bros. seeing all eras of Nintendo IP coming together. Where as Smash 4 felt very 80% new characters and 20% classic characters.

I hope ARMS character isnt the last first party DLC character and we get maybe 2 more.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Was super excited when this got announced. 2nd most hype DLC character after Byleth IMO. Nintendo is on a roll with these last 2 DLC characters.

Who I want: Twintelle, Dr. Coyle, or Master Mummy (he was my main in ARMS when I played it)

Who I think it will be: A new ARMS character for a sequel or a big expansion update OR Spring-Man & Ribbon Girl as an alt.

From a 1st party character perspective this game had seen the best set of newcomers since Brawl IMO. We're getting a good blend of classic Nintendo characters (King K.Rool, Wolf, Ridley, Daisy, Dark Samus) as well as new school Nintendo characters (Byleth, Inkling, Incineroar, Chrom, Isabelle, and now an ARMS rep). THIS is what I like about Smash Bros. seeing all eras of Nintendo IP coming together. Where as Smash 4 felt very 80% new characters and 20% classic characters.

I hope ARMS character isnt the last first party DLC character and we get maybe 2 more.
Someone that actually likes Byleth. Thats a first lol

I can see what your coming from with Smash being the best Nintendo additions since Smash. At the very least, having Inkling, K Rooll, Isabelle and Ridley helps. I would say that the only thing Ultimate was missing was ARMS and Xenoblade 2. Felt like both of these should have been in the main game but that clearly wasn't the case. Now with ARMS, I'd say we are close to have a near perfect roster of Nintendo characters.

As for numbers, I'm sure we'll get at least one more. The last Pass ended with one from an existing series. I figure they'll do that again with either a Zelda or Metroid character (assuming Prime 4 is even close). Hopefully we'll get a lot of Nintendo characters this time. ARMS at least will get me interested thats for sure.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Source Gaming's discussion on ARMS characters

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
I'll be honest. I love that Byleth was added because Three Houses was my GOTY last year. But his playstyle...yikes...not for me. Glad hes in the game as well as Garrag Mach and the AMAZING Three Houses soundtrack but yeah will probably never touch him again (yes I prefer Male Byleth to Female Byleth).

Kumashock

Smash Cadet
Not sure if most Byleth fans are mostly people who want more first party characters, but these last two DLCs are my favorite ones as well. Any ARMS character will make me super happy.

PixelPasta

Smash Lord
I posted my thoughts on the likelihood of every ARMS character in a twitter thread, but I'll copy-paste it here as well:

15. Byte & Barq
As much as I love these two (they were my go-to secondary fighter!), I think they are the least likely choice, for one main reason: Barq. The stretchy arms are gimmicky enough as-is, adding in a duo-fighter mechanic would simply overcomplicate things.

14. Misango
He's cool, but he doesn't have the popularity or "star power" to stand out as the one to logically represent ARMS as a whole. Plus, his little spirit buddy poses a similar problem to Barq.

13. Springtron
He's a clone of Spring Man. Why include him over Spring Man? It would feel really weird to have Springtron playable and Spring Man as an assist trophy.

12. Lola Pop
Similar to Misango, I don't think she has the recognizability or the "star power" to be the one ARMS representative in Smash.

11. Kid Cobra
Basically the same as Misango and Lola... he doesn't "spark joy" as a contender for Smash.

10. Mechanica
Since she's just a regular girl with normal arms, her design doesn't represent ARMS as well as other characters. She's a bit higher on the list because she's one of the more recognizable ARMS characters, but I don't see her getting in.

9. Twintelle
Yeah, I know she's one of the most popular ARMS characters, but she has the same issue as Mechanica - she doesn't represent the game well, because she has normal arms! ARMS is about people with stretchy arms, so I think they're gonna add a character who has them.

8. Master Mummy
He's one of the more recognizable characters, however, I just don't see him being "the guy" to represent ARMS as a whole. The only reason I'd see Sakurai including him is for balance reasons - having the character be slow & heavy to counterbalance the crazy range.

7. Ninjara
Another fairly recognizable and well-liked character. He's basic enough in terms of design that he could feasibly represent the game as a whole. But at the same time, his design doesn't bring a whole lot of uniqueness, since we have ninjas on the roster already.

6. Spring Man
Yes, he's already an assist trophy, but who says its a hard rule that a character can't be playable and an assist? He's the poster boy of the series so it makes the most sense. However, if they were including him, I think they would have just announced him outright.

5. Helix
He's a popular, recognizable character with the perfect level of weirdness to stand out in Smash! He perfectly represents the quirkiness of ARMS, and I can't think of a better character to convey the theme of stretchiness. I think he has a decent shot of getting in.

4. Dr. Coyle
I could honestly see Dr. Coyle being included. She has a unique design, she's one of the more popular characters, and she has significance to the lore of the game. Plus, she would be unique as a female villain - I could see her piquing Sakurai's interest.

3. Max Brass
He has more than enough significance to the world of ARMS to warrant inclusion in Smash, being the final boss of the Grand Prix. Plus, he's pretty well-liked. And like I said for Master Mummy, being a heavier, slower character might be good for balance reasons.

2. Ribbon Girl
I think she's a very likely candidate given that she is basically the secondary mascot character after Spring Man. She's basic enough that she could function as a representative of the game as a whole, but is still very unique design-wise.

1. Min Min
She's one of the most popular ARMS characters, she has a unique design that would stand out in Smash, and a simple but unique mechanic (her dragon arm) that would enhance the stretchy arms gimmick rather than overcomplicate it. Plus, Min Min was the ultimate winner of the Party Crash Bash - Nintendo has used these sorts of things to guide future content, such as the Callie vs Marie splatfest, so I wouldn't put it past them to use the Party Crash results to determine who gets in Smash!

Of course, another option would be to have a multiple-characters-in-one situation by using alternate costumes - I'd go for Spring Man, Ribbon Girl, Ninjara, and Min Min, with one alternate palette each, a-la Hero. But if I had to bet, I'd put my money on Min Min!

Thoughts?

Last edited:

LightKnight

Smash Journeyman
My guess is that they'll only use one character from ARMS and they'll use multiple glove types as well as different character abilities/traits from other characters where it still makes enough sense. Their alternate costumes will likely just be recolors based on some of the other characters.

As for who it'd be, falling in line with my previous statements, my safest bet would be Ribbon Girl as her special mechanics fit naturally into the game and she is a semi-protagonist that currently has less representation in the game than Spring Man. Plus, she's also a female character which I know some people would be especially pleased with.

However, if Nintendo were to veer off of the typical path then I could easily see a character like Min Min, Ninjaro, Kid Cobra, Helix, or Max Brass being added. I think these are still less likely picks though because of the different mechanics they have that are either quite different from Smash or would be difficult to balance. Though, in the case of Max Brass I think he'd be the most likely of these characters because he's actually more basic. Unless they're going by popularity in the case of Min Min.

The character I would pick from the series though and someone I think people are somewhat underestimating is a big body representative for ARMS, that being Mechanica. Whichever ARMS character is added, I expect their skill ceiling to be very high as there are many technical aspects to the original gameplay and when adding that to Smash and trying to balance it against the rest of the cast I think that is the result. Point is, Mechanica I think would be one of the better fitting additions due to the innate technical and balancing issues that the team is having to deal with. Mechanica aside from gameplay would also be one of the more unique fighters in terms of model because of being big and using a mech. We have very few big body characters in Smash so another addition sounds great to me, while giving the far hitting character a similarly big weakness. Gameplay-wise, she'd probably be a combination of Peach/Bowser/Byleth. Okay… That sounds kinda scary actually :dizzy:

One of the main advantages against an ARMS character is how reactable their moves are so I'm curious to see how that all pans out and if they will include the mechanic of sending arms one at a time for subsequent follow-up attacks seeing as thats such a core part of the game.

Last edited:

Koopaul

Smash Champion
People keep suggesting a Hero or Bowser Jr. situation but it won't work. Alts have to have the EXACT SAME ANIMATIONS as one another. That means if Spring Man and Ribbon Girl were alts they'd have to move and act exactly alike which would be... awful. Every ARMS character moves very differently from one another. They aren't all blanks slates like Hero. They're very distinct in their animations. Spring Man has a very spunky and sporty way of moving while Ribbon Girl is very graceful and cheery. It would make no sense to strip them of their individuality and make them all alts.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Well whoever it is, they'll turn speculation into a complete mess. Some sort of trend will be broken and I have no idea which one.

It could be anybody at this stage.

In case they stick with someone heroic/mascot-y enough from the DLC batch though, they can go for Max Brass or Lola Pop.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Alts have to have the EXACT SAME ANIMATIONS as one another.
This is not the case with the two Byleths and Pokemon Trainers. And to a lesser extent, Inklings.

Last edited:

Dinoman96

Smash Master
People keep suggesting a Hero or Bowser Jr. situation but it won't work. Alts have to have the EXACT SAME ANIMATIONS as one another. That means if Spring Man and Ribbon Girl were alts they'd have to move and act exactly alike which would be... awful. Every ARMS character moves very differently from one another. They aren't all blanks slates like Hero. They're very distinct in their animations. Spring Man has a very spunky and sporty way of moving while Ribbon Girl is very graceful and cheery. It would make no sense to strip them of their individuality and make them all alts.
The thing is...they've clearly been experimenting with unique animations for each alt costume, just look at Byleth.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
This is not the case with the two Byleths and Pokemon Trainers. And to a lesser extent, Inklings.
Pokemon Trainer doesn't matter because the Trainer is in the background, so they can get away with making the male and female have animations so different that they're essentially unique from one another. It shouldn't be part of this argument because the animations for the Pokemon themselves are identical regardless of the Trainer's gender.

Inklings only apply for their idles and victory poses. And the differences for most of these would be hard to notice if someone didn't outright point them out.

As for Byleth, this only applies to idles, two taunts, and two victory poses. Not huge differences when it comes to actual gameplay.

I don't think they'll go as far as to make different characters in one outfit for the ARMS rep because they all move very differently. It's not just a matter of idles (in fact, they'd likely have the exact same idle animations), but animation differences that may very well change the gameplay.

Last edited:

Dinoman96

Smash Master
I wonder what Mii outfits will be coming with the character as well
If Byleth is any indication, it just may be a bag grab of unrelated IPs. Maybe we'll get the next "premium" Indie Mii outfit, like what they did with Sans and Cuphead.

D

Deleted member

Could you imagine if this character turned out to be the rep?

20200326_170950.jpg

I imagine they would be able to summon different Arms fighters for each attack on their moveset.

Besides this character I would also like to see Min Min.

LightKnight

Smash Journeyman
I posted my thoughts on the likelihood of every ARMS character in a twitter thread, but I'll copy-paste it here as well:

15. Byte & Barq
As much as I love these two (they were my go-to secondary fighter!), I think they are the least likely choice, for one main reason: Barq. The stretchy arms are gimmicky enough as-is, adding in a duo-fighter mechanic would simply overcomplicate things.

14. Misango
He's cool, but he doesn't have the popularity or "star power" to stand out as the one to logically represent ARMS as a whole. Plus, his little spirit buddy poses a similar problem to Barq.

13. Springtron
He's a clone of Spring Man. Why include him over Spring Man? It would feel really weird to have Springtron playable and Spring Man as an assist trophy.

12. Lola Pop
Similar to Misango, I don't think she has the recognizability or the "star power" to be the one ARMS representative in Smash.

11. Kid Cobra
Basically the same as Misango and Lola... he doesn't "spark joy" as a contender for Smash.

10. Mechanica
Since she's just a regular girl with normal arms, her design doesn't represent ARMS as well as other characters. She's a bit higher on the list because she's one of the more recognizable ARMS characters, but I don't see her getting in.

9. Twintelle
Yeah, I know she's one of the most popular ARMS characters, but she has the same issue as Mechanica - she doesn't represent the game well, because she has normal arms! ARMS is about people with stretchy arms, so I think they're gonna add a character who has them.

8. Master Mummy
He's one of the more recognizable characters, however, I just don't see him being "the guy" to represent ARMS as a whole. The only reason I'd see Sakurai including him is for balance reasons - having the character be slow & heavy to counterbalance the crazy range.

7. Ninjara
Another fairly recognizable and well-liked character. He's basic enough in terms of design that he could feasibly represent the game as a whole. But at the same time, his design doesn't bring a whole lot of uniqueness, since we have ninjas on the roster already.

6. Spring Man
Yes, he's already an assist trophy, but who says its a hard rule that a character can't be playable and an assist? He's the poster boy of the series so it makes the most sense. However, if they were including him, I think they would have just announced him outright.

5. Helix
He's a popular, recognizable character with the perfect level of weirdness to stand out in Smash! He perfectly represents the quirkiness of ARMS, and I can't think of a better character to convey the theme of stretchiness. I think he has a decent shot of getting in.

4. Dr. Coyle
I could honestly see Dr. Coyle being included. She has a unique design, she's one of the more popular characters, and she has significance to the lore of the game. Plus, she would be unique as a female villain - I could see her piquing Sakurai's interest.

3. Max Brass
He has more than enough significance to the world of ARMS to warrant inclusion in Smash, being the final boss of the Grand Prix. Plus, he's pretty well-liked. And like I said for Master Mummy, being a heavier, slower character might be good for balance reasons.

2. Ribbon Girl
I think she's a very likely candidate given that she is basically the secondary mascot character after Spring Man. She's basic enough that she could function as a representative of the game as a whole, but is still very unique design-wise.

1. Min Min
She's one of the most popular ARMS characters, she has a unique design that would stand out in Smash, and a simple but unique mechanic (her dragon arm) that would enhance the stretchy arms gimmick rather than overcomplicate it. Plus, Min Min was the ultimate winner of the Party Crash Bash - Nintendo has used these sorts of things to guide future content, such as the Callie vs Marie splatfest, so I wouldn't put it past them to use the Party Crash results to determine who gets in Smash!

Of course, another option would be to have a multiple-characters-in-one situation by using alternate costumes - I'd go for Spring Man, Ribbon Girl, Ninjara, and Min Min, with one alternate palette each, a-la Hero. But if I had to bet, I'd put my money on Min Min!

Thoughts?
I think your thoughts are pretty spot on. With nearly zero experience with the game prior to the Smash announcement I was coming to similar conclusions after doing some research. I hadn't considered Max Brass before making my post (ended up editing it slightly after looking at yours) but I would have to agree as a whole that he'd be a better addition than the likes of Mechanica. As such, its between those two characters as to who I'd most like added. Max Brass just seems like a good pick for the theme of the series and easing the headache from balancing thats needed for the different mechanics transitioning into Smash.
I'd say its mainly a toss up between the top 3 you picked and like I said before Ribbon Girl would be my bet.
I'm curious how exactly you see Min Min playing out in gameplay, specifically in enhancing the arms gimmick rather than overcomplicating it.

Minik

Smash Journeyman
Biff will probably be a taunt or victory screen thing, classic dlc taunt partner.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Trying to narrow down on what Sakurai and the Smash Team is choosing.......
ARMS representative unique traits:
- Stretchy ARMS for Range, suited for range game and lack in CQC if fighter is faster (little mac can try to close the gap as a boxer)
- ARMS weapons to change the effect of how each throw a punch. (Ex. Tribolt: fire three punches as small missles in glove, Megaton: name says that this glove can hit hard, but lacks range due to its weight, and Whammer: Glove targets and unleash hammer swings upon reaching target)
- Rush Attack has been used with Spring Man in AT, so a Final Smash can be suited to represent ARMS as a whole.
Edit: - 5 characters have open the gates.
Spring Man: AT and Spirit
Ribbon Girl: Mii Costume and Spirit
Ninjara, Min-Min and Twintella: Spirits
Lets drop the fan rules of AT, Spirits and Mii Costumes deconfirm

What else did I miss?

Last edited:
Top Bottom