• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Congratulations, Min Min! ARMS character(s) for Smash discussion

Which character do think will be revealed in June?

• Spring Man

Votes: 54 16.3%
  • Ribbon Girl

Votes: 12 3.6%
  • Ninjara

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Mechanica

Votes: 2 0.6%
  • Master Mummy

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Min Min

Votes: 104 31.4%
  • Helix

Votes: 7 2.1%
  • Kid Cobra

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Byte & Barq

• Twintelle

Votes: 25 7.6%
  • Max Brass

Votes: 18 5.4%
  • Lola Pop

Votes: 7 2.1%
  • Spring Tron

• Misango

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dr. Coyle

Votes: 19 5.7%
  • Biff

Votes: 8 2.4%
  • Combination of 2 or more interchangeable characters

Votes: 66 19.9%
  • Other (specify in thread)

Votes: 3 0.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
It'd be cool if they did something to engage Smash and ARMS fans, rather than just waiting 3 months to give us an answer.
They'll do whatever they can do because you have to remember that COVID-19 is a very real thing that can affect development.

Based on the disclaimer we got at the start in the Direct, it's not even set in stone anymore that we'll get the character in June. A delay is very much possible for reasons out of the dev team's control.

Last edited:

HansShotFirst20

Smash Ace
NNID
HanShot1st
They'll do whatever they can do because you have to remember that COVID-19 is a very real thing that can affect development.

Based on the disclaimer we got at the start in the Direct, it's not even set in stone anymore that we'll get the character in June. A delay is very much possible for reasons out of the dev team's control.
Since Cov is ruining everyone's day, I don't think we'll have much choice but to do just that.

Fortunately I'm a veteran at the art of waiting. There's been worse lull periods. :ultjoker:
Even just crossing off a character from a picture of the CSS once a week for 3 months would be cool, Given there'd still be a few characters left whenever they decide to reveal the "winner".

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Even just crossing off a character from a picture of the CSS once a week for 3 months would be cool, Given there'd still be a few characters left whenever they decide to reveal the "winner".
Assuming the pandemic doesn't cause the offices to shut down and for development to be indefenitely postponed, of course.

HansShotFirst20

Smash Ace
NNID
HanShot1st
Considering that we recently got a spirit event somehow, do you think that the Spirit Team simply didn't get the memo that working on the game is a bad idea right now?
There were no new spirits, though, right? I imagine the devs have the tools in place to make an event with any pre-existing spirits in like 10 minutes.

Assuming the pandemic doesn't cause the offices to shut down and for development to be indefenitely postponed, of course.
And also assuming the earth does not explode in such a timeframe, yes.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Considering that we recently got a spirit event somehow, do you think that the Spirit Team simply didn't get the memo that working on the game is a bad idea right now?
That would be further evidence that spirits do not deconfirm imo as they’re separate from the main team

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
At any rate, I'd rather wait for a good game to eventually be finished than hear about staff members risking their lives just to please customers.

There were no new spirits, though, right? I imagine the devs have the tools in place to make an event with any pre-existing spirits in like 10 minutes.
Yeah, I imagine that would involve serious hand cleaning before and after the fact.

HansShotFirst20

Smash Ace
NNID
HanShot1st
At any rate, I'd rather wait for a good game to eventually be finished than hear about staff members risking their lives just to please customers.

Yeah, I imagine that would involve serious hand cleaning before and after the fact.
Same, I'd take an indefinite delay/cancellation over news that one of the dev team got sick because they couldn't get off work due to fan demand for new content.

Aerospherology

Smash Lord
It's not that much work to make a Spirit Event or new Spirits. Most of them could be home while working on it. Making a new fighter, though...

Anyway, I expect the situation with COVID-19 to improve enough by June to release the ARMS fighter this summer.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Let's review the history of Smash DLC Glitch Prophecies:

3.0.0: Joker was released. Mii Swordfighter had some freeze glitches and a metallic sound was datamined, which was similar to Link's shield. These would ultimately point signs to the Hero.

4.0.0: The Heroes were released. A new glitch with Duck Hunt freezing was a true sign that Banjo was coming, even though we already knew he was coming after Hero. And as Nelson mentioned, Ridley of all characters was used as a base for the character.

5.0.0: Banjo and Kazooie were released. We knew Terry was coming at that time, but no glitches were found that were related to him. On that regard, though, if I had to guess, it would have had to do with the SF characters. Mainly Ken.

6.0.0: Terry was released. The Belmonts were discovered to have a glitch involving their Forward Smash, which used a whip. Byleth would then be revealed, using the Sword of the Creator, a whip sword.

7.0.0: Byleth was released. Bayonetta has a visual glitch involving Wicked Weaves, as I mentioned before.

So while perhaps, the Miis and Duck Hunt were coincidental as Nelson mentioned before, the Link Shield and Belmont whips were still some telltale hints at the next Fighter. What's up in the air is whether this is an ARMS character that hasn't appeared in Smash, an AT promotion or a Spirit promotion.
So after watching PapaGenos' recent video, I found something about a glitch involving Terry. And I was only half-right.

Apparently, back in 5.0.0, if Ryu and Ken used Focus Attack, they'll lose all gravity, and it was a repeatable glitch. So there actually was something for glitches involving characters that would closely be related to Terry.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
It's not that much work to make a Spirit Event or new Spirits. Most of them could be home while working on it. Making a new fighter, though...

Anyway, I expect the situation with COVID-19 to improve enough by June to release the ARMS fighter this summer.
Yeah, I'd say that late Summer is my roughest estimate as when we could see the fighter, at the earliest.

Still beats what third-party supporters have to go through, those companies can't be contacted physically at all until things blow over.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Let's review the history of Smash DLC Glitch Prophecies:

3.0.0: Joker was released. Mii Swordfighter had some freeze glitches and a metallic sound was datamined, which was similar to Link's shield. These would ultimately point signs to the Hero.

4.0.0: The Heroes were released. A new glitch with Duck Hunt freezing was a true sign that Banjo was coming, even though we already knew he was coming after Hero. And as Nelson mentioned, Ridley of all characters was used as a base for the character.

5.0.0: Banjo and Kazooie were released. We knew Terry was coming at that time, but no glitches were found that were related to him. On that regard, though, if I had to guess, it would have had to do with the SF characters. Mainly Ken.

6.0.0: Terry was released. The Belmonts were discovered to have a glitch involving their Forward Smash, which used a whip. Byleth would then be revealed, using the Sword of the Creator, a whip sword.

7.0.0: Byleth was released. Bayonetta has a visual glitch involving Wicked Weaves, as I mentioned before.

So while perhaps, the Miis and Duck Hunt were coincidental as Nelson mentioned before, the Link Shield and Belmont whips were still some telltale hints at the next Fighter. What's up in the air is whether this is an ARMS character that hasn't appeared in Smash, an AT promotion or a Spirit promotion.
Isn’t there some glitch involving Ness too? I only heard it in another discord so idk if this is widely known or not but if someone can confirm the existence of this “Ness glitch” for me it would be appreciated. It would have to apply to FP7 though not FP6.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Yeah, I'd say that late Summer is my roughest estimate as when we could see the fighter, at the earliest.

Still beats what third-party supporters have to go through, those companies can't be contacted physically at all until things blow over.
Makes you wonder if ARMS was supposed to be the first reveal to begin with or if a potential third-party had to be delayed due to the outbreak.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Makes you wonder if ARMS was supposed to be the first reveal to begin with or if a potential third-party had to be delayed due to the outbreak.
The latter seems plausible, due to Sakurai's Famitsu comments.

Good thing we got the home advantage, given that. I just find it somewhat poetically amusing that a first-party ends the previous Pass and starts the next one.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
The latter seems plausible, due to Sakurai's Famitsu comments.

Good thing we got the home advantage, given that. I just find it somewhat poetically amusing that a first-party ends the previous Pass and starts the next one.
Wasn’t there an infographic on how far some Japan native companies were from NoJ’s HQ? Can I see it again?

Minik

Smash Journeyman
Considering the fact Sakurai said this was a special request, this being the only character who breaks assist/spirit rules would be insanely bad because we'd only see that on fighter 11, XC2 fans would have a level of rage never seen in smash history.

Characters wise I think Spring Man, Ribbon Girl, Ninjara and Min Min. 2 mascots, 2 popular picks (both the finalists of the big Party Crash tourney), 2 boys and 2 girls, fit roughly the same body shape, could have slightly unique animations and taunts between them as seen with Byleth. Also thought it was interesting that in the reveal that Spring Man and Ribbon Girl were the biggest gameplay clips displayed diagaonlly from each other. The way this was all displayed I don't believe its gonna be just 1 character, especially when even taking away the gimmicks from those 4 still leaves them with super unique stretchy arm gimmick.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Considering the fact Sakurai said this was a special request, this being the only character who breaks assist/spirit rules would be insanely bad because we'd only see that on fighter 11, XC2 fans would have a level of rage never seen in smash history.

Characters wise I think Spring Man, Ribbon Girl, Ninjara and Min Min. 2 mascots, 2 popular picks (both the finalists of the big Party Crash tourney), 2 boys and 2 girls, fit roughly the same body shape, could have slightly unique animations and taunts between them as seen with Byleth. Also thought it was interesting that in the reveal that Spring Man and Ribbon Girl were the biggest gameplay clips displayed diagaonlly from each other. The way this was all displayed I don't believe its gonna be just 1 character, especially when even taking away the gimmicks from those 4 still leaves them with super unique stretchy arm gimmick.
I see your XC2 and raise you a XCX who only has five Spirits, no ATs, no Costumes and no music

tbh I think “special request” was for series promotion as I’ve seen talk of Nintendo wanting to bring ARMS back into the spotlight before this

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
Been a long while since I've been on the Boards, but came to share my thoughts.

I'm glad that ARMS is finally getting a playable character in Smash, though it's certainly interesting that they're holding back on exactly who made it in. Perhaps whoever is in has had a redesign for a possible ARMS 2, and they don't want to spoil the new look. Or maybe, like how Spring Man was the face of ARMS, we'll see a whole new character as the face of ARMS 2. Out of the characters we do know, there's a few possibilities.

Spring Man makes the most sense, seeing as he's the 'Ryu' of ARMS. His moveset potential is pretty great, despite him being the most 'basic' out of the ARMS roster. No reason why I couldn't take things from other characters to bolster his potential though. He's in a unique position with him already being an Assist Trophy because he could be easily exchanged for Springtron, who was built to be a clone of Spring Man. That way, you keep the Assist Trophy, just needs a new model and sound effects. Or, of course, just make it so he's either removed from the AT pool while in play, or just remove him altogether.

Min Min is also a potential candidate due to her popularity. She was the overall winner of the Party Crash Bash tournament. She's also got potentially more moveset potential than Spring Man due to her dragon arm. May be worth noting she also uses kicks in-game, which Spring Man (to my knowledge) doesn't, but that point shouldn't mean much since it's easy to take some creative liberties and give Spring Man some simple kicks. Lastly, going back to the idea of there being a new character as the face of ARMS 2 instead of Spring Man, I feel Min Min is the most likely out of the current cast to take the spotlight.

I've also floated with the idea of us getting another Hero-esque character, with Spring Man being the main fighter, and other characters being alts. Only Ribbon Girl, Ninjara, Min Min, and Springtron share a similar body style to Spring Man. Everyone else's proportions are way too different. Only issue is that these characters have abilities that are unique to them (Min Min dragon arm) that wouldn't quite fit in with the idea. I won't say it's impossible, since you can easily take some creative liberties and still make it work.

Minik

Smash Journeyman
I see your XC2 and raise you a XCX who only has five Spirits, no ATs, no Costumes and no music

tbh I think “special request” was for series promotion as I’ve seen talk of Nintendo wanting to bring ARMS back into the spotlight before this
It's more so the fact Rex and Spring Man were put on the same reason as to not be added, though Spring Man always had an assist ahead of XC2.
Special request makes me think the idea of ignoring an assist/spirit/mii costume is with it, special because it won't happen again.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
The fact that ARMS got a new online open outta nowhere and Dark Horse are still working on the graphic novel shows that Nintendo wanted to raise attention towards the game again, after the perceived view of it being ditched. Depending on who the character is, it's what the network wants, who are we to complain?

As long as we somehow get our expectations surpassed in some way, I'll be happy about it.

Also, I'm pretty sure that by "rules of the game", Sak meant to say "the game's balance and physics". I don't want to get yet another game of telephone when it's PushDustIn PushDustIn of all people translating his latest comments.

If I was a betting man, it'd be 5 Pounds saying that people call the ARMS character "broken" because of their range.

You forget about the Waluigi fans having some bad eggs that harassed Sak's Twitter account, it'd get to the point that he'd never post on it again for 10 years.

Last edited:

GolisoPower

Smash Master
If I was a betting man, it'd be 5 Pounds saying that people call the ARMS character "broken" because of their range.
Didn't people say that with the Belmonts and Byleth when their movesets were broken down? They had some crazy range in their movesets what with the Vampire Killer and the Relic weapons respectively and all.

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
I think people are forgetting that a rule is still being broken when they suggest that the fighter won't be Spring Man. You can't escape rule violations with ARMS, as you either gotta promote the AT or have the first rep not be a main protagonist.
Not to mention this is already notable sense it means that a Ultimate represented series as spirits doesn't deconfirm a series getting a character, meaning characters like Geno or someone from Silent Hill, Astral Chain, Daemon X, etc. are still on the table during DLC speculation.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Not to mention this is already notable sense it means that a Ultimate represented series as spirits doesn't deconfirm a series getting a character, meaning characters like Geno or someone from Silent Hill, Astral Chain, Daemon X, etc. are still on the table during DLC speculation.
Don't you mean Resident Evil? Because I don't remember any Silent Hill spirits being announced...

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Didn't people say that with the Belmonts and Byleth when their movesets were broken down? They had some crazy range in their movesets what with the Vampire Killer and the Relic weapons respectively and all.
He's betting that some people would claim the character is broken due to the range, not that they would actually be broken.

And it's always good to have range, so I can see people who never played ARMS call an ARMS rep broken because they have a LOT of range.

Last edited:

GolisoPower

Smash Master
He's betting that some people would claim the character is broken due to the range, not that they would actually be broken.

And it's always good to have range, so I can see people who never played ARMS call an ARMS rep broken because they have a LOT of range.
Ah, I suppose that makes sense.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
You know, I feel that people should make threads for the rest of the ARMS cast with the current situation. Even if it's for the least likely character, making a thread would be courteous.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I wouldn't go as far as saying series arriving solely through DLC spirit events would be considered, the intent behind those seems a little more definite.

Especially Tetris, they likely had to give an arm and a leg for that one (no pun intended).

You know, I feel that people should make threads for the rest of the ARMS cast with the current situation. Even if it's for the least likely character, making a thread would be courteous.
I agree entirely, someone was looking for a Lola Pop thread earlier. It'd get the Lanky Kong fans out of the shadows, too.

Last edited:

Miifighters4Smash5

Smash Journeyman
I'm Honestly hoping that Dr. Coyle is the ARMS Rep; due to not only being the First Female DLC Newcomer to debut in SSBU to NOT Be Pairing with either Another Character(Like Kazooie being paired with Banjo) or alongside their Male Counterpart(like Byleth); but also the First VILLAIN Character to be added as DLC Fighter in Smash Ultimate; and the First Female DLC Villain Character to be the Main Antagonist of the game they come from(Since that British Bespectacled Shadow HAG is the PROTAGONIST of her M-Rated Game; she doesn't count)

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I agree entirely, someone was looking for a Lola Pop thread earlier. It'd get the Lanky Kong fans out of the shadows, too.
Well then, the time is now for people to make those threads. Let's see how far they all go. Plenty of people will be interested.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
This is a franchise that 100% deserves to be included. I love the art style, all the characters seem to really stand out and the music is awesome!

I'm really rooting for one of the 5 spirit characters for the sake of starting a trend of upgrading other spirits but I think any of the 15 characters would make for a great addition. I think the only character that would seem out of left field would be something like Biff or Hedlok.

A lot of people are pointing out Min Min won a fan poll at some point. To any one in the core ARMS community, is there a consensus that Min Min is by far the most popular ARMS character? Do you think she is the front runner?

Last edited:

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
I'm Honestly hoping that Dr. Coyle is the ARMS Rep; due to not only being the First Female DLC Newcomer to debut in SSBU to NOT Be Pairing with either Another Character(Like Kazooie being paired with Banjo) or alongside their Male Counterpart(like Byleth); but also the First VILLAIN Character to be added as DLC Fighter in Smash Ultimate; and the First Female DLC Villain Character to be the Main Antagonist of the game they come from(Since that British Bespectacled Shadow HAG is the PROTAGONIST of her M-Rated Game; she doesn't count)
While I do agree Dr. Coyle could be a really cool addition, wanting her just because "female villain" just feels like you're trying to fill some kind of arbitrary quota rather than legitimately wanting Coyle, kinda like how a lot of Decidueye supporters mysteriously dropped when Ivysaur was confirmed to return in Ultimate.

Minik

Smash Journeyman
A lot of people are pointing out Min Min won a fan poll at some point. To any one in the core ARMS community, is there a consensus that Min Min is by far the most popular ARMS character? Do you think she is the front runner?
She's definitely the fan favourite overall and won the big tourney event but I don't for a second believe Sakurai would JUST add Min Min alone, she does have a unique power up arm but that can easily not be in, like how DQ8 hero doesn't use Munchie for any attacks. In general most ARMS characters are very popular (barring Misango) so adding multiple at once seems like what they'd do. Fyi the final smash WILL be using all the other ARMS characters if they do this,

Miifighters4Smash5

Smash Journeyman
While I do agree Dr. Coyle could be a really cool addition, wanting her just because "female villain" just feels like you're trying to fill some kind of arbitrary quota rather than legitimately wanting Coyle, kinda like how a lot of Decidueye supporters mysteriously dropped when Ivysaur was confirmed to return in Ultimate.
I Do Legitimately want her in FOR those Reasons;

Seriously; Please just Let me want who I want just because I want her in the game!!

Last edited:
Top Bottom