• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Congratulations, Min Min! ARMS character(s) for Smash discussion

Which character do think will be revealed in June?

• Spring Man

Votes: 54 16.3%
  • Ribbon Girl

Votes: 12 3.6%
  • Ninjara

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Mechanica

Votes: 2 0.6%
  • Master Mummy

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Min Min

Votes: 104 31.4%
  • Helix

Votes: 7 2.1%
  • Kid Cobra

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Byte & Barq

• Twintelle

Votes: 25 7.6%
  • Max Brass

Votes: 18 5.4%
  • Lola Pop

Votes: 7 2.1%
  • Spring Tron

• Misango

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dr. Coyle

Votes: 19 5.7%
  • Biff

Votes: 8 2.4%
  • Combination of 2 or more interchangeable characters

Votes: 66 19.9%
  • Other (specify in thread)

Votes: 3 0.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
Diverting the conversation from the Geno thread, let's talk about the stuff for the Challenger Pack, like ARMS songs, ARMS spirits, and all that.

Honestly, I think the Victory theme should be first few notes of the main theme. The victory thing that ARMS had is too simplistic and too short, and what I think should be is more energetic and powerful. Perfect for a victory theme.
I badly need whatever the stage is(Spring Stadium probably?) to scream KO loudly every time someone dies just for the extra insult while I'm taunt spamming them.
Katakana is used for "ude", arm, and not Hiragana or Kanji.

Arm theory is now a thing. All 6 of the FP characters have arms. Therefore, all characters in the pass will. Screenshot this

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Assuming the ARMS character is Spring Man. Who thinks after the update that Springtron should take his place as an assist trophy?

NOSTARSICK

Smash Apprentice
I've been wanting an ARMs fighter since Ultimate was first announced!

Can't decide on who I'd want the most, i used Ribbon Girl the most, but alot of the characters could translate to smash well with the gimmicks they have in game

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
My predictions:

If they want a simple moveset to represent the game as a whole, Max Brass because Spring Man is already an AT and Max Brass is the closest thing to him when it comes to gameplay

If they want to showcase a specific character's feats and accomplishments into the moveset, Dr. Coyle has by far the most potential imo.

Last edited:

etnoika

Smash Cadet
Congrats guys. I always wanted to try out ARMS but there were a bunch other Switch games that took priority and I only had so much cash. I guess I got no excuse now lol.

Assuming the ARMS character is Spring Man. Who thinks after the update that Springtron should take his place as an assist trophy?
I've seen a few people tossing that theory around, and I really like it. It's a unique situation that only really applies to this series and it would serve as an way for Nintendo to maintain the AT rule. I don't have anything against the fighters that have been deconfirmed as ATs, but from a game design perspective it always seemed to me that that's the one rule they shouldn't break, since having multiple versions of the same character onscreen as AT and fighter would be confusing to players.

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
And after more consideration I take it back. If we get the multiple characters as alts situation, then it has to be some combination of Spring Man, Ribbon Girl, Ninjara and Min Min

Kid Cobra is too gangly and well, snake-like. That's his thing, and it's a physical attribute so he's off the table IMO.

As GoodGrief741 GoodGrief741 pointed out, Lola Pop's ball form is another physical attribute thing that should be taken into account. Initially, I was thinking she'd be fine as an alt if they omitted that as it's a different form as opposed to how she normally is like with Cobra, but given that it's such a major unique trait that she's known for, I'm considering her as off the table as well. If I was placing Misango as outlier, then it wouldn't make sense to keep Lola in too.

As zferolie zferolie pointed out, I apparently can't count. Even though I placed him as an outlier in my post, I was still counting Misango as part of the set in my head for some reason.

As several have already stated, Springtron as a reskin/replacement for the Spring Man assist trophy is a good call. I'm hoping that that will be the case and too many people seem to be overlooking that as a possibility.

To address SmashKeks SmashKeks however, I would still view Twintelle as less plausible in this scenario. She would need to be changed significantly compared to the others. Spring, Ribbon, Nin and Min would need some minor height/proportion changes in a similar vein to :ultwiifittrainer::ultwiifittrainerm:, and after that they could make an animation set that works with all characters without compromising personality too much. Some to be sure, but not all.

Twintelle's model would already be too different due to her arms being her hair. Your suggestion to position them lower to match the fighting stance of the others wouldn't necessarily work as Twintelle herself would still retain her usual posture which makes her idle too different from the rest.

The others ARMS fighters lean forward a bit taking up a fighting stance. Twintelle stands straight.

The other ARMS fighters have a cautious walk/hop. Twintelle walks casually with hands on her hips.

And once again, the other ARMS fighters use their own arms. Twintelle attacks with her hair while standing up straight or posing. They'd have to animate her actual arms too which clashes with how the other characters are modeled/animated.

That said, as one of my favorites, I would be very happy if they actually went the extra mile and somehow made it work.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
It's a unique situation that only really applies to this series
It doesn't have to solely be for Spring Man. Isaac's AT, for example, could be replaced with Felix, Matthew, or Garet.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Katakana is used for "ude", arm, and not Hiragana or Kanji.

So providing it's not just Google Translate making a mountain out of a molehill then things could get intresting.

YeppersPeppers

Smash Journeyman
I almost never post on this site...but today's news has brought me here to say one thing:

Please...

Let me "baddabing" and "spring-a-ling" my enemies.

That's all I'm asking for.

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
So providing it's not just Google Translate making a mountain out of a molehill then things could get intresting.
Translations also aren't necessarily one to one, so I doubt this means anything. Plural and singular in Japanese works a bit different so even though Google Translate says they said fighters, it could still have meant just "a fighter." Mind you, I'm not fluent nor a language expert by any means, but I know GT can be whack sometimes.
It doesn't have to solely be for Spring Man. Isaac's AT, for example, could be replaced with Felix, Matthew, or Garet.
I took a look at the AT list and honestly aside from Spring Man and Isaac, the only other one I could come up with a reasonable replacement for was Starly if they ever decided to upgrade Starfy. but I'd honestly prefer if she was an alt.

EDIT: And I suppose for Lyn they could have literally any other myrmidon/swordmaster.

Last edited:

Kronus

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1907-8046-6707
I am so happy that an Arms character is coming to Ultimate. I personally hope for Spring Man with Ribbon Girl alts like how they handled Olimar/Alph.
But I am expecting either Twintelle, Dr. Coyle or Min Min since they are the popular ones.
I am also excited for the music that will be added. Arms has great music.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
I kinda wonder if giving the Byleths slightly different standing animations and taunts was to test the ground for an ARMS character with multiple skins. After all, Spring Man doesn't stand the way Ribbon Girl does, who doesn't taunt in the same way as Min Min, etc.

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
I kinda wonder if giving the Byleths slightly different standing animations and taunts was to test the ground for an ARMS character with multiple skins. After all, Spring Man doesn't stand the way Ribbon Girl does, who doesn't taunt in the same way as Min Min, etc.
I wouldn't say it's a testing ground as they've already done it before such as with :ultcloud:, but knwoing that they continue to take the time to do so for certain cases makes me hopeful that taking that extra time is one of the reasons that the ARMS fighter seems to be taking awhile. Of course a large part could also very well be due to COVID delaying production and perhaps even general bugs and issues with whatever mechanics they're giving the ARMS character involving their own arms.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
the only other one I could come up with a reasonable replacement for was Starly if they ever decided to upgrade Starfy. but I'd honestly prefer if she was an alt.

EDIT: And I suppose for Lyn they could have literally any other myrmidon/swordmaster.
Also Pink Bomber for Bomberman, and uh...slightly increasing the chance timers will spawn for Shadow?

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
Better, replace him with Time Man from Mega Man Powered Up.
Functionality and better yet thematically wise that'd work, but we were aiming for easy reskins of existing assists using the same base models. Hence Springtron over Spring Man should he be promoted.

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
Translations also aren't necessarily one to one, so I doubt this means anything. Plural and singular in Japanese works a bit different so even though Google Translate says they said fighters, it could still have meant just "a fighter." Mind you, I'm not fluent nor a language expert by any means, but I know GT can be whack sometimes.

I took a look at the AT list and honestly aside from Spring Man and Isaac, the only other one I could come up with a reasonable replacement for was Starly if they ever decided to upgrade Starfy. but I'd honestly prefer if she was an alt.

I think there's a really elegant solution no one brings up in the upgrading ATs to characters debate: Just add a patch with a character that makes it so that a character AT will never appear while that character is being played. If say, the next fighter was Waluigi, make it so that Waluigi can never be summoned by trophy while a player or computer is playing him. If nobody is playing him, Waluigi could still appear, and nobody will confuse him for a player since nobody is playing him.

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I think there's a really elegant solution no one brings up in the upgrading ATs to characters debate: Just add a patch with a character that makes it so that a character AT will never appear while that character is being played. If say, the next fighter was Waluigi, make it so that Waluigi can never be summoned by trophy while a player or computer is playing him. If nobody is playing him, Waluigi could still appear, and nobody will confuse him for a player since nobody is playing him.
I recall the Moon AT not appearing on Great Bay because of it being apart the stage, so this would be absolutely reasonable to do.

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
That would be ideal, and they already do this with some ATs like Alucard not appearing on Wii Fit Studio due to the presence of mirrors. In this case though we were coming up for replacement ATs because there are a few cases like Spring Man to Springton that just work really well. Add Spring Man and instead of disabling the AT just change it into Springtron. Though disabling would probably be easier.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
The klaptrap assists don't work on a bunch of DK stages because they're already stage hazards too, so it works.

Someone had the idea that the ARMS gimmick would be having separate punches mapped to A and B to recreate the mechanic of the game (ie you could input a forward smash with B and an up tilt with A) and I really like that. A good player would have all the air dominance of Snake with two nikitas. The fact that you can't throw out a punch until it's retracted would also really reward landing hits and punish throwing them out willynilly.

Also my pick would be Master Mummy but he has no chance in the Egyptian Afterlife.

SwitchButton

Banned via Administration
The best part is that every ARMS character is amazing and charming so any outcome will be a good outcome

Garo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Garomasta
3DS FC
3308-4572-3157
Other things speaking against a Koopaling situation because I'm a stubborn *******:

Again, while not perfect representation, one reason the Koopalings work as well as they do is because they're in the Clown Car. They don't really have to move themselves, which would look wrong for some if Bowser Jr. is used as base, and the Clown Car makes the shrinking of the bigger boys slightly less noticeable. Also, since the Clown Car is doing most of the fighting, it sort of explains away why the Koopalings aren't using their own tools and abilities like casting magic, Morton stomping around with his weight, Roy pulling out a bazooka and that sort of stuff. Even personality showing quirks like taunts and victory poses are tied to the Clown Car: they playfully sit on it and laugh, do a spinout, gently caress it... These don't seem out of place since what minion wouldn't love their multi-purpose murder tool?

Let's assume for a moment that the ARMS character is an amalgamation of Spring Man, Ribbon Girl, Ninjara and Min Min since it was mentioned they have similar proportions. Whoever's the base, they'd of course rely on their own abilities since they¨re most certainly not in a floating killer mech, right? We immediately run into problems there no matter how you look at it. It's Smash, so they'll of course get a double jump. But Ribbon Girl has multiple jumps, so why would she only have two (or why would the others have multiple jumps)? I guess if Spring Man's the base, they can easily use some generic fist-pumping booyah taunts, but would the ever stoic Ninjara really do something like that? What about other character defining stuff like Spring Man's perma-charged ARMS at low health, Min Min's Dragon ARM growing in size or Ninjara teleporting? What gets included and what doesn't? If something's included, why can the other characters do it when it's a character defining ability, like the perma-charged ARMS representing Spring Man's never-give-up attitude. If nothing's included and it's all just generic, isn't that just bad representation? I just can't see a DLC newcomer being poorly represented when I look at what we have so far.

Congratulations on getting to the end of my rant. I'll shut up for now.

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
So, here's an idea that could already make an ARMS character pretty bad if you didn't play them carefully: Is there any chance that this characters extended arms will become hurtboxes when extended a la piranha plants neck during his down b, making it really easy to punish arm based attacks if they whiff with a simple dair or even a tilt or smash if the opponent is just out of range? And don't get me started on projectiles.

Dorayaki

Smash Journeyman
A new NIntendo IP entry is pretty much overdue, and the general ratio doesn't look good. That's all I can say.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
So, here's an idea that could already make an ARMS character pretty bad if you didn't play them carefully: Is there any chance that this characters extended arms will become hurtboxes when extended a la piranha plants neck during his down b, making it really easy to punish arm based attacks if they whiff with a simple dair or even a tilt or smash if the opponent is just out of range? And don't get me started on projectiles.
I think that would be the best way to translate ARMS' punish mechanics into Smash. In the game itself the ARMS don't have hurtboxes, but them being extended leaves you defenseless against any attacks. With Smash most characters don't have the reach to take advantage of the opening, so giving the arms hurtboxes could be a way to translate that.

Another one would be making the arms return slowly to the body, therefore leaving the fighter open to rushdowns.

zumaddy

Smash Ace
Smash Twitter is so obnoxious, seeing "ARMS LITERAL WHO???" all over the place. Happily I'm also seeing some of the better known smash/nintendo tubers like Alpharad defend the choice.

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Smash Twitter is so obnoxious, seeing "ARMS LITERAL WHO???" all over the place. Happily I'm also seeing some of the better known smash/nintendo tubers like Alpharad defend the choice.
“I can’t believe a new major Nintendo IP got a character! Why, Sakurai!!!!”

D

Deleted member

Typical Smash behavior. Which is why when the SNK leak dropped I started partying like crazy coz...well, I'm an SNK fangirl.

Anyway, this going to become the Newcomer Speculation thread for these few months now, isn't it?

Top Bottom