• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Congratulations, Min Min! ARMS character(s) for Smash discussion

Which character do think will be revealed in June?

• Spring Man

Votes: 54 16.3%
  • Ribbon Girl

Votes: 12 3.6%
  • Ninjara

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Mechanica

Votes: 2 0.6%
  • Master Mummy

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Min Min

Votes: 104 31.4%
  • Helix

Votes: 7 2.1%
  • Kid Cobra

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Byte & Barq

• Twintelle

Votes: 25 7.6%
  • Max Brass

Votes: 18 5.4%
  • Lola Pop

Votes: 7 2.1%
  • Spring Tron

• Misango

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dr. Coyle

Votes: 19 5.7%
  • Biff

Votes: 8 2.4%
  • Combination of 2 or more interchangeable characters

Votes: 66 19.9%
  • Other (specify in thread)

Votes: 3 0.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

zumaddy

Smash Ace
l'm enjoying Xenoblade so much that I can happily wait 3 weeks lol. But I would like it to be sooner than later so we stop treading the same arguments about each possible ARMS rep.

At any rate, the most one can hope for FP7 is a straightforward announcement, and not an announcement of an announcement. We've had quite enough Atlus for this DLC run.
I wouldn't mind a bit of a tease but not straight up saying what the series is. If there was a hint at the end of the next presentation like "this next series had never been in Smash Bros. before!" it'd be a fun and easy way to generate hype. Of course there's always the chance of the next trailer just coming right after the ARMS presentation.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
At any rate, the most one can hope for FP7 is a straightforward announcement, and not an announcement of an announcement. We've had quite enough Atlus for this DLC run.
Reminds me of this Dilbert

Trevenant

Smash Lord
Much like how the ARMS character announcement was unprecedented, we will by an announcement saying the characters is going to get a dedicated presentation on June 29th and release on the 30th. Oh, and another guess who but this time they don't even say what series the character is coming from, they just say that challenger pack 7 is coming and play it off like a guess who, who do you guys think it will be?

Last edited:

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
Much like how the ARMS character announcement was unprecedented, we will by an announcement saying the characters is going to get a dedicated presentation on June 29th and release on the 30th. Oh, and another guess who but this time they don't even say what series the character is coming from, they just say that challenger pack 7 is coming and play it off like a guess who, who do you guys think it will be?
And then it’s revealed that it’s an AT promotion. But it’s the item itself. Not one of the characters.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
For maximum tease, they'd reveal the series the rest of the fighters are coming from (which would have the bonus of freeing up Sakurai to talk about other games like a human again) but for the 3rd parties, only say who the owner was. (i.e. Capcom, Square Enix)

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
For maximum tease, they'd reveal the series the rest of the fighters are coming from (which would have the bonus of freeing up Sakurai to talk about other games like a human again) but for the 3rd parties, only say who the owner was. (i.e. Capcom, Square Enix)
Honestly, that would probably make things worse as everyone would have a decent idea who is all left and rampage and rage would reign more over the Smash community.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Honestly, that would probably make things worse as everyone would have a decent idea who is all left and rampage and rage would reign more over the Smash community.
It was to maximise the tease, never said it was a good idea.

The traditional tease is silhouettes but unless you go full "jigglypuff from above" like Kirby Star Allies did, they'll be figured out in minutes.

Trevenant

Smash Lord
And then it’s revealed that it’s an AT promotion. But it’s the item itself. Not one of the characters.
Remember that one glitch where the shadow inside the assist escaped? I remember all the waluigi memes people were making.

Btw best tease would just be to do a more dead beat horse version of whose that pokemon. Show the outline and wait a couple months to see if anyone guesses

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2

The traditional tease is silhouettes but unless you go full "jigglypuff from above" like Kirby Star Allies did, they'll be figured out in minutes.
Still teasing fans like that would make things worse. People would be harassing Sakurai and sending death threats because they would have a good idea their most wanted character isn't in. God the Smash community can be toxic at times.

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
For one, the Smash community is always like that. Secondly, not every company has an obvious rep. For example, Level-5 could easily get away with Layton, but they also have Jibanyan, as they still seem to have faith in Yo-kai Watch.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

Still teasing fans like that would make things worse. People would be harassing Sakurai and sending death threats because they would have a good idea their most wanted character isn't in. God the Smash community can be toxic at times.
Seriously though, I don't think they'd keep doing the same thing ARMS just did. Just watch as FP7 is announced with no ambiguity whatsoever, since every announcement isn't done exactly the same anyway, as pointed out earlier:

Almost every DLCs reveals are handled differently now that I think about it.

:ultpiranha: The unusual, "joke" character, presented almost like an echo fighter.
:ultjoker: Flashy animated trailer made for the Game Awards, without gameplay.
:ulthero: and :ultbanjokazooie: The most standard of the bunch, with "normal" trailers, mixing CGI and Gameplay.
:ult_terry:Fun trailer paying hommage to the Neo Geo, while keeping a short mystery about who the SNK character will be playable. No gameplay, but in game model shown directly. Let's not forget the little teaser during Banjo's presentation the same day.
:ultbyleth:Normal trailer, but revealed directly during Sakurai's presentation, with an awkward hint before.
And now Arms, with only the game origin reveal, with 15 potential characters shown.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
For one, the Smash community is always like that. Secondly, not every company has an obvious rep. For example, Level-5 could easily get away with Layton, but they also have Jibanyan, as they still seem to have faith in Yo-kai Watch.
People through would still jump to the most obvious conclusion on who it could be since they would already know what company they're from. When Nintendo accidentally dropped the SNK trademark on the Smash site back in last September, a lot of people jumped to the conclusion it was Terry Bogard and they were right.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
People through would still jump to the most obvious conclusion on who it could be since they would already know what company they're from. When Nintendo accidentally dropped the SNK trademark on the Smash site back in last September, a lot of people jumped to the conclusion it was Terry Bogard and they were right.
Absolutely every noteworthy character out there has been assumed to be in by someone at some point. When you fire all cylinders in every direction, of course you'd hit something. It's the "hammer down each nail!" approach to riddle-solving.

Trevenant

Smash Lord
Seriously though, I don't think they'd keep doing the same thing ARMS just did. Just watch as FP7 is announced with no ambiguity whatsoever, since every announcement isn't done exactly the same anyway, as pointed out earlier:
They will just say challenger pack 7 is from a video game series. They won't even disclose the series. Goku fans will be p*****. People who hate Goku will rejoice.

Ngl though I still don't really get why they didn't just show the ARMS character straight up. They didn't even need to show their ultimate render, they could have just showed their arms artwork and said they won the invite. Either they don't care about the climax or it's Spring man but it's a bigger picture imo

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Absolutely every noteworthy character out there has been assumed to be in by someone at some point. When you fire all cylinders in every direction, of course you'd hit something. It's the "hammer down each nail!" approach to riddle-solving.
Still it's a bad idea to say: "I won't tell who it is, but I will tell which companies they're coming from." As it gives a clearer picture.

Marvel-Otaku-Man

Smash Apprentice
Hey there fellas, how are we all doing? IMO I think this is the earliest week we could see smash news. So I don't know about the rest of you, but the first thing I'm going to do every morning for the rest of the month is check the Nintendo youtube channel and hope for the appearance of a stretchy ARMed gal or guy-well I'm really hoping its one of the girls.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Still it's a bad idea to say: "I won't tell who it is, but I will tell which companies they're coming from." As it gives a clearer picture.
And it's likely that they never thought of the idea anyway. I don't think they'd wait that much longer before announcing an exciting collaboration.

They will just say challenger pack 7 is from a video game series. They won't even disclose that. Goku fans will be p*****. People who hate Goku will rejoice.

Ngl though I still don't really get why they didn't just show the ARMS character straight up. They didn't even need to show their ultimate render, they could have just showed their arms artwork and said they won the invite. Either they don't care about the climax or it's Spring man but it's a bigger picture imo
We'll find out the reason soon.

Also, Sak already said the game wouldn't have licensed characters, so Goku fans would be disappointed no matter what happens. As long as Electrichu is out of our hair.

Hey there fellas, how are we all doing? IMO I think this is the earliest week we could see smash news. So I don't know about the rest of you, but the first thing I'm going to do every morning for the rest of the month is check the Nintendo youtube channel and hope for the appearance of a stretchy ARMed gal or guy-well I'm really hoping its one of the girls.
Well, nearly everyone's fixated with hypothetical obtuse announcements, but apart from that I think we're fine.

As for me, I'm spending more time on completing games, as one should.

Last edited:

Trevenant

Smash Lord
And it's likely that they never thought of the idea anyway. I don't think they'd wait that much longer before announcing an exciting collaboration.

We'll find out the reason soon.

Also, Sak already said the game wouldn't have licensed characters, so Goku fans would be disappointed no matter what happens. As long as Electrichu is out of our hair.

Well, nearly everyone's fixated with hypothetical obtuse announcements, but apart from that I think we're fine.

As for me, I'm spending more time on completing games, as one should.
Well I hope we do. I wouldn't be too surprised if the rug gets pulled from under us and we end up waiting for the end of the month. And who is Electrichu? Some user I don't know about or is it some Sonichu tethered Sonic OC?

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Well nothing on NOA's Twitter. Now let's wait for Japan. At least there'll be a new pic of the day.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Well I hope we do. I wouldn't be too surprised if the rug gets pulled from under us and we end up waiting for the end of the month. And who is Electrichu? Some user I don't know about or is it some Sonichu tethered Sonic OC?
He's an user who kept pestering the other users here about them supposedly hating Goku, even though there are Goku supporters around. We got sick of him after a while.

That said, we are in June, so it's not false advertising. Whether the announcement is early or late, it would still be within this very same month. I still say that anytime between now and July 1st is fair game.

Well nothing on NOA's Twitter. Now let's wait for Japan. At least there'll be a new pic of the day.
If I recall, nothing interesting ever happens on a Monday, and I assume this isn't any diferent.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I don't think we are getting announcement for the Direct until tomorrow or Wednesday. Thursday is probably when the Direct drops.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
They will just say challenger pack 7 is from a video game series. They won't even disclose the series. Goku fans will be p*****. People who hate Goku will rejoice.

As said, we will find out soon, but I really do believe that it will be because of the "unique" nature of being a character chosen to be playable before the "main character" (who do happen to be an Assist). I really feel like it will some sort of and oddball choice, and this can apply to Min-Min, for the popularity, party crash, and even popularity among the developers. Basically, anything that is not Springman or Ribbon Girl will be some sort of uncommon choice for the first playable character of the Arms serie.

Somehow, I think of Agitha in Hyrule Warriors who was chosen because, and I quote: "about 95% of the development team fell in love with her"

Trevenant

Smash Lord
As said, we will find out soon, but I really do believe that it will be because of the "unique" nature of being a character chosen to be playable before the "main character" (who do happen to be an Assist). I really feel like it will some sort of and oddball choice, and this can apply to Min-Min, for the popularity, party crash, and even popularity among the developers. Basically, anything that is not Springman or Ribbon Girl will be some sort of uncommon choice for the first playable character of the Arms serie.

Somehow, I think of Agitha in Hyrule Warriors who was chosen because, and I quote: "about 95% of the development team fell in love with her"
I dunno, I still struggle to think why would they not go for Springo in the first place. The only reason that people used against Springman before we knew about the reveal was the presence already in game, which, again wouldn't stop them.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Hopefully we get Min Min this week or Spring Man so the Assist Trophy barrier can finally be broken.
Just because the barrier would be broken doesn't mean other Assist Trophies would be promoted as well.

ARMS was explicitly stated as something that had potential but couldn't make the cut in the base game due to timing,

Unless there's at least one more character we know of that actually fits that kind of criteria, I wouldn't expect any Assist Trophy promotions for the second Pass.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
If my gut is right, Nintendo will surprise drop something tomorrow. Might not be Smash but I have a feeling that something is coming.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Just because the barrier would be broken doesn't mean other Assist Trophies would be promoted as well.

ARMS was explicitly stated as something that had potential but couldn't make the cut in the base game due to timing,

Unless there's at least one more character we know of that actually fits that kind of criteria, I wouldn't expect any Assist Trophy promotions for the second Pass.
Still it would destroy that stupid fan rule though. Detractors will not shut up about it if it happens. :p

NOSTARSICK

Smash Apprentice
Eh, i don't care about fan-rules one way or the other, both sides are annoying about it

Trevenant

Smash Lord
Still it would destroy that stupid fan rule though. Detractors will not shut up about it if it happens. :p
Tbf you wouldn't really avoid the main character for any other reason other than the outlying condition that is surrounding them which is the assist which I can't imagine them doing but on the off chance they do, that practically puts the nail in the coffin for assists

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
I dunno, I still struggle to think why would they not go for Springo in the first place. The only reason that people used against Springman before we knew about the reveal was the presence already in game, which, again wouldn't stop them.
The reason why, we don't really know yet, if someone else than Springman is chosen. It can be for gameplay purposes, such as Min-Min's kicks dragon head arm and charge mechanic, or Dr. Coyle theme and role. It can also be simply because Sakurai said it is a special request. While it can simply be "put Arms in Smash", maybe it can also be "please put Min-Min to push her further as a main character", for example. But beside "it's a special request", and the way it was announced itself, we don't have much.

We do speculate because of that guessing game anyway. I think it's a smart move, if they go indeed for a particular character: this way the fanbase have time to debate, learn about character mechanics, role, and think, at the time of the reveal "aaah, so they went with this character". A reveal out of the blue would probably creates reactions like "wait, why? Why not Springman?", although fans would learns the reasons why afterward.

Trevenant

Smash Lord
The reason why, we don't really know yet, if someone else than Springman is chosen. It can be for gameplay purposes, such as Min-Min's kicks dragon head arm and charge mechanic, or Dr. Coyle theme and role. It can also be simply because Sakurai said it is a special request. While it can simply be "put Arms in Smash", maybe it can also be "please put Min-Min to push her further as a main character", for example. But beside "it's a special request", and the way it was announced itself, we don't have much.

We do speculate because of that guessing game anyway. I think it's a smart move, if they go indeed for a particular character: this way the fanbase have time to debate, learn about character mechanics, role, and think, at the time of the reveal "aaah, so they went with this character". A reveal out of the blue would probably creates reactions like "wait, why? Why not Springman?", although fans would learns the reasons why afterward.
Well all we can do is hope these questions get answered. Smash somehow finds a way to keep you on the edge of your seat again and again despite saying that after something of a high standard is announced, you think you can't be shocked anymore.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Tbf you wouldn't really avoid the main character for any other reason other than the outlying condition that is surrounding them which is the assist which I can't imagine them doing but on the off chance they do, that practically puts the nail in the coffin for assists
It's like do or die time whether that fan rule dies or not.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Eh, i don't care about fan-rules one way or the other, both sides are annoying about it
How are both sides annoying about it? One side just wants to be able to speculate freely about how characters are always possible if nintendo wants it (as we have seen happen multiple times), meanwhile the other side is full of ppl who keep making a fanrule to make speculation limited and not enjoyable whatsoever. Only one side is annoying, as only one side is bringing negativity to speculation, not both, like at all.

Last edited:
Top Bottom