• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Confirmed Character Discussion (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sensai

Smash Master
I have a question:

What is any possible use for crawling? Unless you can attack out of it...maybe Bowser can. That would be cool.

But seriously...whazzit do?

bijoukaiba

Smash Journeyman
The crawling will be cool... I wonder what buttons you'll have to push to crawl?

Perhaps the stage people imagined to be the Kid Icarus stage will be the new SSBB Battlefield stage instead.

@ icymatt's comments about the Nintendo World events... I think you might be onto something! I would just hope the returning characters they reveal aren't DK and Yoshi. Those two are practically confirmed (especially with the Yoshi-esque arena and their close ties to Mario). If they do show a returning character for each trailer, then I would hope they show characters from other Nintendo series: Captain Falcon, Ness, Ice Climbers, or Marth, for example.

I'd also enjoy it if they reveal new characters in the next trailer as well...

leeray666

Smash Cadet
I don't often write in forums, but I did mention earlier in the thread, that I could imagine what kind of moveset Snake would have within the game. I.e. Close quarters combat, roll dodges and even a rocket launcher. I was met with a few negative remarks tho, about there not being any guns etc. in the new smash bros. Also a question "since when does snake use a rocket launcher?" Well.... He has in almost every metal gear game now, blowing up aircraft and wotnot, and it looks as if he will in the new smash bros as well now.... Well, if samus can have a rocket launcher in the game why not snake?

gamelover15

Smash Apprentice
lol, Fox's design will have mix opinions. I think he looks fine.

Zero Suit Samus's moveset looks like Sheik. I find it funny that Sheik's moveset is still not on a stand alone character ><

Metaknight's combo, to be fair, will probably do little damage and he will also lack KO moves.

Anyone notice that knocking people up off the screen is immediate and has no animation anymore?

WR3K

Smash Ace
they really screwed link over in the trailor

he showcased basically nothing and was the official punching bag of all the characters

with so much anticipation and excitement over twilight princess they should have done more with him

Sensai

Smash Master
....Tunaman....what did you say? I don't understand.

And gamelover, I didn't even notice that. I'm not sure if I like that or not. But I am sure that I hated there being two different ways to die upwards, because one was faster then the other.

Rhyme

Smash Lord
Yoshi is only confirmed if you go by the logic that there is a level with him. If you don't flow with that, Yoshi is in no way confirmed.
Ooh he is confirmed. This is Nintendo logic, don't forget. They added an entire character(dr mario) just so they could have the music. If the level is there, the character is there.

Something that no one pointed out, the similarities between Wario and Bowser.

1. Both are important to the Mario Games
2. Both are playable in similar games
3. Both are rival characters
4. They have the same attack and landing lag animations for their fair's and bair's
5. They both look awkward when they run(and run slowly)
6. They are both power characters
7. They are both small compared to their average* sizes in mario games

*I consider Bowser's size in the old-school platform, get to the flag at the end mario games as average size

Is it possible that nintendo will swap vilans?

About four pages back(I can't find the post) someone asks if Dark Samus is expected given that ZSS is in and she was not as important. My answer is yes, and I sincerely hope that Nintendo is sensable and puts Dark Samus in the game. 'It' will be my new main.

Sensai

Smash Master
I noticed the Wario/Bowser thing too. Especially since Wario's air moves (specifically his Bair) looks identical to Bowser's.

But I doubt they'll switch them out...Bowser is by far more important to Mario games then Wario is.

GAMERCUS

Smash Cadet
I would love to see an character from Killer Instinct, like Orchid, boy was she a hottie, just want to see more female characters and some *jugs*! And don't forget my boy Eyedol! (yeah even if Rare owns it)

Iggy K

Smash Ace
1. Both are important to the Mario Games
2. Both are playable in similar games
3. Both are rival characters
4. They have the same attack and landing lag animations for their fair's and bair's
5. They both look awkward when they run(and run slowly)
6. They are both power characters
7. They are both small compared to their average* sizes in mario games
...The only thing there that even gives Bowser a very slight chance to be swapped out for Wario is number 4, even then it is a huge strecth.

Yota

Smash Apprentice
Side topic: Is anyone going to update the first post of this thread any time soon?

Sporkman

Smash Ace
Wario and Bowser do seem to be sharing the same aerials........

.... But how is that problem? I'd be suprised if no-one noticed that loads of characters share moves. i.e. Captain Falcon's Up Tilt is the same as Samus' Up tilt. Ness has the same U-air and D-air as Donkey Kong.

Snake's Rocket Launcher worked in a similar way to Samus' Down Tilt no? A moves are often shared.

Rhyme

Smash Lord
Wario and Bowser do seem to be sharing the same aerials........

.... But how is that problem? I'd be suprised if no-one noticed that loads of characters share moves. i.e. Captain Falcon's Up Tilt is the same as Samus' Up tilt. Ness has the same U-air and D-air as Donkey Kong.

Snake's Rocket Launcher worked in a similar way to Samus' Down Tilt no? A moves are often shared.
Yea, Bowser only has like, 10 years on Wario[sarcaism]. I hope Bowser stays, I was simply translating the logic used for ZSS/Shiek onto another character. It did appear that Wario's bair has an electric quality, sort of like Ness' as a sweetspot. I can't quite tell if it is an element or the crazy new hit graphics so if anyone else can confirm this analysis, that would be good.

True moves are shared, but the way they effect the opponent is usually not shared. Falco and Fox had dair the same look but completely different hit. Snake's rocket launcher hit away from him and Samus' hits backwards, Samus' Utilt hits straight up if the opponent is on the ground and Falcon's doesn't. No argument for DK/Ness, simply pointing out similarities for Bowser/Wario.

Gamingboy

Smash Lord
Let's stop trying to guess things from the total 5 or 6 minutes of Game footage we have and actually have seen, I don't know, but something tells me that isn't enough to draw things from.

Rhyme

Smash Lord
Let's stop trying to guess things from the total 5 or 6 minutes of Game footage we have and actually have seen, I don't know, but something tells me that isn't enough to draw things from.
Well we aren't going to just sit here idle while Nintendo keeps us in suspense. Plus if you call it correctly you get bragging rights. As long as no one takes any of what we say literally then there should be no problems.

The speed increase on the rolls is going to make L-canceling a necessity in brawl. The only downside of the whole thing is that n00bs are gona 'run around' rolling out of the way rather than WD like they should be and pissing us off.

BentoBox

Smash Master
Also notice how high characters seem to jump =o. In Meta's stage, Zamus seemed to jump as high as falco while not being a fast faller~ Snake jumped pretty high as well for a character that you'd think of as being heavy (a bit like ganondorf), and he wasn't a fast faller either =0. Or maybe my mind simply got too accostummed to shuffles, but this might be linked to their idea of "improved aerial battles" they mentionned a long while ago~

Sorry if this has been said earlier~

petoo0

Smash Ace
Also notice how high characters seem to jump =o. In Meta's stage, Zamus seemed to jump as high as falco while not being a fast faller~ Snake jumped pretty high as well for a character that you'd think of as being heavy (a bit like ganondorf), and he wasn't a fast faller either =0. Or maybe my mind simply got too accostummed to shuffles, but this might be linked to their idea of "improved aerial battles" they mentionned a long while ago~

Sorry if this has been said earlier~
why would snake be heavy like ganon. snake is freaking ninja spy. hes light. duh.

Chi's Finest

Smash Lord

That's the whole point of this forum! And by doing so, we can now tlak about the destructable levels, how Yoshi is pretty much confirmd, levels, moves, etc.

I noticed also how ZSSamus looked a lot like Sheik.

I agree with them screwing Link in the trailer. I think he had the worst showcases of all the characters. And is it just me, or does he seems even slower than Melee and his spin attack has a shorter range? I was hoping to start playing as him again in Brawl, but I want him to at least be a good character.

rsc_390

Smash Apprentice
Well we aren't going to just sit here idle while Nintendo keeps us in suspense. Plus if you call it correctly you get bragging rights. As long as no one takes any of what we say literally then there should be no problems.

The speed increase on the rolls is going to make L-canceling a necessity in brawl. The only downside of the whole thing is that n00bs are gona 'run around' rolling out of the way rather than WD like they should be and pissing us off.
I'm sure this was already answered but i'm not sure. How do we know that L-Canceling and Wavedashing will still be possible in Brawl? I sure hope so, but it's possible that Nintendo will try and fix these glitches, not being as enthusiastic about them as we are.

Then again, I saw something mentioned about wavedashing in Nintendo Power years ago, and they seemed to like the idea of wavedashing.

Rhyme

Smash Lord
Pfft, what're you talking about? People wavedash and double jump all the time.
Agreed, within the last week I've seen someone killed by falling asleep, egg-shapped feicies explode into rainbows, giant turtles bitting elves, and a talking bird with a futuristic lazer pistol. Of course smash bros modles actual physics.:laugh:

WDing was one of the more interesting things about melee, so I hope Nintendo can recognize that as well as adding some new movement elements.

Maybe you can do different attacks than normal while crawling or something. But seriously, it would not be unlike Nintendo to add it just because of Snake. There is possibly some need for it within the more in-depth single player mode Nintendo promised.

It did appear as though Link got nerfed, which is stupid. He has been looked down upon in smash 64 and melee, it's time for him to step up to the plate here in brawl. I would rather face seasoned Link players over Marth players any day.

Zink

Smash Champion
Look at his usmash in the latest trailer. It has like double the range as Melee.
Plus, he wasn't THAT bad. A small speed boost is alll he needs.

Rhyme

Smash Lord
Look at his usmash in the latest trailer. It has like double the range as Melee.
Plus, he wasn't THAT bad. A small speed boost is alll he needs.
They need to at least make it possible for him to move fast, even if it is not easy. Look at the Germ play and even though he isn't the best Link out there, he still moves very fast with a relatively slow character. As long as it is hard to move fast, it wouldn't be unfair if he could. Don't forget, he has powerful attacks and good priority thanks to his ranged weapon, and his Nair of death! I've had his reverse Nair block an arwing blast on Corneria, and that is simply rediculous.

Sensai

Smash Master
You've all seen the trailer...

Remember where Metaknight like...teleports? Is that him rolling? Perhaps they've altered rolling to make it closer to WDing.

That would please both sides to the 'take techs out' arguements.

Rhyme

Smash Lord
You've all seen the trailer...

Remember where Metaknight like...teleports? Is that him rolling? Perhaps they've altered rolling to make it closer to WDing.

That would please both sides to the 'take techs out' arguements.
"Take techs out" argument? People don't like teching or certain techniques like WDing? Still fast rolling will be abused by n00bs and isn't the same as WDing as far as attacking and vulnerability. Plus to Samus players like me who gain all their speed from WDing, how fast can Samus possibly roll in morph ball mode? And won't that get rid of wavelanding, waveshining, quick edgehogging, SWDing, juggling combos with characters like Ness and Mario, Luigi's and IC's whole fighting style, all that stuff?

Bottom line(hehe) Wavedashing should carry over into Brawl.

The Black Cat

Smash Journeyman
I think nintendo should keep all teching, and since in the new game it could be intentional, it would be easier to pull off. Even if just a little. But that would also raise the low end players. The whole skill level would be taken up a notch, which would be more interesting IMO.

Rhyme

Smash Lord
I think nintendo should keep all teching, and since in the new game it could be intentional, it would be easier to pull off. Even if just a little. But that would also raise the low end players. The whole skill level would be taken up a notch, which would be more interesting IMO.
Why are you so certain that teching was not intentional? Have you ever seen Mew2King's smashsite? He gives very in-depth statistics on melee's physics and programming. Both here and in Doraki's DI and teching guide, it says that if you want to tech, press L or R within 20 frames of when you hit a wall, ceiling or floor, but after the initial hit lag. If you press it to early, teching will be disabled for the next 40 frames, probably to discourage people from pressing it as fast as they can to tech. Now why would there be so specific numbers if this was an accident?

Sensai

Smash Master
Teching and DI was most certainly intentional. I don't think anyone is able to argue against that.

Let's not turn this into a 'for or against' thread, but keep it at what it is. What does Meta's near-teleportation mean for rolling?

BentoBox

Smash Master
Hum. Near the end of the video, when meta, snake, zamus and wario duke it off in meta's stage, you see Meta performing a front aerial (supposition) and when landing on the ground, he immediately rolls. Now I am sure he did not tech because he wouldn't have been able to perform an aerial in the first place. (getting hit downwards + performing aerial atk before touching the ground => no teching) And now this rolling of his didn't look like the previous WD-like movement he performed, sooo I came to the conclusion that they must've made WDing "official".

Discuss!

I could be wrong so no flames plx.

evilganstapikachu

Smash Rookie
Meta Knight will own over Snake.

Wario will own over Snake.

And, I hope, Pichu will own over all, including Snake.

Anyways, I hope some of the 3rd party characters won't get the game rated M. Blood, sexual themes, and gore just don't seem to fit in with Smash.
ok Pichu just a littel ***** that copys off af pickauch moves and gets damage when he dose his attck ok any one can ****in beat pichu even gameandwatch

gamerkid789

Smash Cadet
did anyone see kirby in that new trailer his up smash had like double the range and it look like he had a shorter short hop too , did they fix kirby????????

and meta knights repeated slashes looks hevenly broken and z zamas looked like the new shiek lol!!!! wario also looks slower than bowser but L cancleing can fix that now can it. pit and snake looked about mid tier

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom