• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Confirmed Character Discussion (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Muffin_man

Smash Journeyman
So following your logic, every character who's been in a side-scroller after Super Mario Bros. is by defult a Mario character because 'it's been done before'? Did you even read over what you wrote?

Reno_

Smash Cadet
in that sentence, muffin man, i was very clearly addressing wario's originality, seeing as how that whole paragraph/clip says nothing about him being mario-related other than that his games look similar to mario brothers and the implication that it is because the game is from the same company,
there was not much originality put in his sidescroller to individualize it from the mario side-scrollers before it.

i answered mcfox with what i thought as to wario's originality as opposed to yoshi's, which is in intellegent conversation, there's no need to nitpick very technically when you know what i meant.
so if you have something to say in regards to my main point, the anxiety of mario-related characters being overused in brawl, then please, speak up, but if you're on here just to argue about nothing, i'm not up to it.

Muffin_man

Smash Journeyman
In my question, I was clearly addressing that I thought that your statement which addressed McFox's question which addressed your statement that Yoshi was more individual than Wario was borderline-********.

And I know perfectly what you meant. I just pointed out that what you said was ignorant as a lot of platformers draw inspiration from the basic Mario-mold of 'get to the finish while racking up points and beating up crap', yet that hardly makes all of them Mario-knock offs which you heavily implied the Wario Land series was.

Anyhow, characters. My guess as to who's going to be revealed next (though probably not for a long time) are Diddy Kong (everybody wants ther to be atleast one new DK character), Mach Rider (Because he was probably planned for the last one, so it'd make sense if he were to be put in this one), another Earthbound character as they're sort of due for one and then possibley another 3rd party character.

Kurizu208

Smash Journeyman
Reno_ said:
i wouldn't say DK is the weakest at all...he's at least better than mewtwo, pichu, and bowser, i think.
come on, at least mewtwo!
Using mewtwo DK has never beatin me even on very hard.
Bowser is very strong. his grabmoves kick ***.
Pichu is a good chara beats pikachu anyday.

Reno_

Smash Cadet
haha, i wouldn't call other people's opinion's ******** or ignorant whenever they are supported by thoughts. and i know other platformers are influenced by mario, i was just saying that mainly 1) they are not made by nintendo, and 2) the name of the character is not mario spelled with 1 letter upside-down.

in other news, i don't want to see mach rider, simply because it will remind me of how much i sucked at that nintendo game(it's so freaking hard!) :p
but yeah, with his music included and the trophy, he's a good possiblility.
on another note, best nes game ever= deja vu XD
or super mario brothers *looks at muffin man* racking up points and beating crap up is fun. that's why i like road rash, only you get money instead of points. and because it's a lot easier than mach rider.

edit: kizaru(sorry if i spelled that wrong, i can't see your name in edit mode and am too lazy to open another window), characters controller by the computer doesn't express how good they are. there is a reason mewtwo is bottom tier, and that reason is that he can't get more than a 2 hit combo on a human, unless that human doesn't know how to DI correctly(kind of like a computer). top 4 DK players vs. top 4 Mewtwo players with 5 stock each would result in the last DK not being able to play because the match would be over already.
bad example, but the point is, no. donkey kong will be in brawl. and if not, i will put 20 into your bank account, i promise you that.

flaco

The Terminator
lol yo thats messed up but is true.Sony got pregnent by nintendo lol.Well am about to use snake when he comes out for wii and now am staying with marth,or i might changed to captain falcon lol am out

Kurizu208

Smash Journeyman
Muffin_man said:
In my question, I was clearly addressing that I thought that your statement which addressed McFox's question which addressed your statement that Yoshi was more individual than Wario was borderline-********.

And I know perfectly what you meant. I just pointed out that what you said was ignorant as a lot of platformers draw inspiration from the basic Mario-mold of 'get to the finish while racking up points and beating up crap', yet that hardly makes all of them Mario-knock offs which you heavily implied the Wario Land series was.

Anyhow, characters. My guess as to who's going to be revealed next (though probably not for a long time) are Diddy Kong (everybody wants ther to be atleast one new DK character), Mach Rider (Because he was probably planned for the last one, so it'd make sense if he were to be put in this one), another Earthbound character as they're sort of due for one and then possibley another 3rd party character.
if any new charas will be reveled it would be returning chracters and for neww i think we can expect wolf, goroh, and ridley cause i think they hava a strong possibility of being in brawl cause they were in the opening for meele. So that maybe was a hint. also as for 3rd party charas i think they will be revealed last.

Kurizu208

Smash Journeyman
Reno_ said:
haha, i wouldn't call other people's opinion's ******** or ignorant whenever they are supported by thoughts. and i know other platformers are influenced by mario, i was just saying that mainly 1) they are not made by nintendo, and 2) the name of the character is not mario spelled with 1 letter upside-down.

in other news, i don't want to see mach rider, simply because it will remind me of how much i sucked at that nintendo game(it's so freaking hard!) :p
but yeah, with his music included and the trophy, he's a good possiblility.
on another note, best nes game ever= deja vu XD
or super mario brothers *looks at muffin man* racking up points and beating crap up is fun. that's why i like road rash, only you get money instead of points. and because it's a lot easier than mach rider.

edit: kizaru(sorry if i spelled that wrong, i can't see your name in edit mode and am too lazy to open another window), characters controller by the computer doesn't express how good they are. there is a reason mewtwo is bottom tier, and that reason is that he can't get more than a 2 hit combo on a human, unless that human doesn't know how to DI correctly(kind of like a computer). top 4 DK players vs. top 4 Mewtwo players with 5 stock each would result in the last DK not being able to play because the match would be over already.
bad example, but the point is, no. donkey kong will be in brawl. and if not, i will put 20 into your bank account, i promise you that.
*Kurizu

true on the cpu thing. but you got to admit DK suck. hopefully he will be upgraded when he makes it to brawl.

Kabyk-Greenmyst

Smash Lord
Kurizu,
I don't think the opening to Melee can give any hints or indications. If Sakurai planned on making another Smash while he was creating Melee, it may have been.
But as we all know by now, that Sakurai was surprised when Nintendo or whoever it was asked him if he wanted to lead the creation of Brawl.
It's kinda like TV shows. Directors and writers put little things into the beginning or the show or just any arbitrary episode, little things that don't really have an explaination and things that we the viewers just scoff at because we think it's just some random thing. But then much in the show, those things come back as important storyline issues, and we're all in shock and awe and the show ratings sky rocket.

Yea, that's not what's happening here.

Kurizu208

Smash Journeyman
Kabyk-Greenmyst said:
Kurizu,
I don't think the opening to Melee can give any hints or indications. If Sakurai planned on making another Smash while he was creating Melee, it may have been.
But as we all know by now, that Sakurai was surprised when Nintendo or whoever it was asked him if he wanted to lead the creation of Brawl.
It's kinda like TV shows. Directors and writers put little things into the beginning or the show or just any arbitrary episode, little things that don't really have an explaination and things that we the viewers just scoff at because we think it's just some random thing. But then much in the show, those things come back as important storyline issues, and we're all in shock and awe and the show ratings sky rocket.

Yea, that's not what's happening here.
I'm just saying it's possibe. he may not of known that there would be a 3rd game but im sure he still had ideas he wanted to do. those 3 could have been planned for melee but they probally thought more clone character to up the selection total versus having those 3 with less characters. like in ssb bowser was going to be in it but they couldnt cause the 64 was powerful enough so he was in melee. so if they wanted those 3 in melee in couldnt, they have a good chance for brawl.

Kurizu208

Smash Journeyman
Soldier6 said:
@ everyone - with metaknight in the picture now, how good do you think kirby will be in brawl? :confused:
hopefully a bit better in melee the only thign about kirby that sucked was he had no knock back power and his smash moves sucked

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
Kurizu, don't double post.

There were no hints in Melee about Brawl's character list. Not in the opening, not in the trophies, NOTHING.

HAL Labs didn't even know if they'd be working on the sequel to Melee, which they aren't. Therefor, they couldn't have put any hints into the game, because they didn't know if they'd be making the sequel.

Kurizu208

Smash Journeyman
McFox said:
Kurizu, don't double post.

There were no hints in Melee about Brawl's character list. Not in the opening, not in the trophies, NOTHING.

HAL Labs didn't even know if they'd be working on the sequel to Melee, which they aren't. Therefor, they couldn't have put any hints into the game, because they didn't know if they'd be making the sequel.
i did? Whoops i'm sorry. And i was just guessing.

Hero_Osakuma

Smash Rookie
ok heres how i think it is...........I think all the characters from Melee are gonna stay just like from the first Super Smash Bros. but they are adding some new chars. the ones in the trailer of course but hopefully there gonna add alot more to make the game longer lasting for all of those lonely ppl out there or even for ppl who like for there games to last for more than a month not saying that Melee was only a months length

Hero_Osakuma

Smash Rookie
but why would they remove some characters cause most likely there going to remove the power houses from Melee and sdd some others who are more down to earth with the other characters instead of having such huge advantages

Reno_

Smash Cadet
dude, i see your point(i guess), but there's really no need to question a quote from THE GAME'S DEVELOPER.
i'm pretty sure the person who's making the game knows more than you. just a thought.

and removing "powerhouses" makes no sense.

"hey, let's remove only the characters advanced players use the most!"
samus is in the game, so obviously that's not happening.

p.s.- kind of off topic, but i was looking at Smashbros909's banner, and the picture of falco...i see it everywhere, but can't put a finger on where. anyone know where that image comes from?

Marth_n_Mirth

Smash Rookie
Sensai said:
I'm not so sure about Snake either...I dunno. I'd much rather it be just completely Nintendo characters. But hey, that's the die hard Nintendo addict inside of me.
Wait... Konami worked with Nintendo in the past with the first release of "Metal Gear" on the NES. (as well as other games like Castlevania) They eventually branched off when the Sony Playstation came into release. Hideo Kojima (who I think is the director and producer of this series) was (to what I heard) close to the man behind Mario. Wouldn't that mean he has somewhat of a reasonable exception to be in the roster?

Marth_n_Mirth

Smash Rookie
Hero_Osakuma said:
ok heres how i think it is...........I think all the characters from Melee are gonna stay just like from the first Super Smash Bros. but they are adding some new chars. the ones in the trailer of course but hopefully there gonna add alot more to make the game longer lasting for all of those lonely ppl out there or even for ppl who like for there games to last for more than a month not saying that Melee was only a months length
Still, doesn't anyone think it's a bit sloppy to have clones? Sure it's distinguishable between the Starfox Characters, Capt. Falcon and Ganondorf, but even if the characters were fun and useable, it took away from the fact the character had a name. (koffing Pichu koffing)

It may be hard to redo the movesets. But I say out with Pichu and young link and have a few more Kirby characters, Metroid Characters, and new-game characters.

p.s. sorry for the double post

Zink

Smash Champion
First, Miyamoto is Mr. Mario.
Second, clones were in due to time constraints- better a clone than no character at all, eh? I do think that they should fix up the old clones before adding new ones.

blerb

Smash Journeyman
^ agreed. im still thinking about samus/zamus though...i mean, she can change into zamus, but can she transform back? she would have to do some sort of time thing, or rejuvination type thing.

and to most people out there, we probably wont be getting a new confirmed character for atleast 2 months, what with the site not being updated and all.

Pray B4 M3

Smash Rookie
WarioFartPower said:
Wario was inevitable, and will make a brilliant character. And Meta Knight should be good too, nice to see another character from the Kirby series.

Not so sure about Solid Snake to be honest...
solid snake will have to kick some a$$ to be comin from anotha company 2 nintendo...u kno what im sayin!!!

Bioflavonoid

Smash Rookie
You know what would be neat? If samus and zero-suit Samus were two characters in one, much like the zelda/shiek thing. After using Samus' super attack her armor breaks off trading power and defense for agility but more vulnerability. After Samus dies, then she respawns in the regular suit.

Zodiak-Lucien

Smash Lord
Bioflavonoid said:
You know what would be neat? If samus and zero-suit Samus were two characters in one, much like the zelda/shiek thing. After using Samus' super attack her armor breaks off trading power and defense for agility but more vulnerability. After Samus dies, then she respawns in the regular suit.
ok what about matches banning items? Or people who in general just want to use zero suit samus?

Reno_

Smash Cadet
bio, it has already been confirmed by the game producers that zero suit samus WILL be an extention of the samus character.

Kurizu208

Smash Journeyman
Bioflavonoid said:
that is what happens you have do samus super move to go to zamus but we dont know how that changing back works but i belive if she gets ko'd she would still be zamus.

charburner6

Smash Apprentice
it would really suck if you were forced to use an item to turn into zss. maybe it would work out if you can change samus's colr and one of the colors would look like zss and then you could play as her from the start

Kurizu208

Smash Journeyman
charburner6 said:
it would really suck if you were forced to use an item to turn into zss. maybe it would work out if you can change samus's colr and one of the colors would look like zss and then you could play as her from the start
That would be dummer. The trailer shows exactly how it happens. Lets just hope zamus is worht it to do all that just play as her.

Kabyk-Greenmyst

Smash Lord
I still REALLY hope the 'hadoken turns Samus into Zamus' is a bunch of bull. The Supers are going to be able to be turned off or they're going to be a rare comodity if default in all stages. Both of which are horrible ways of getting a character.

I know Sakurai wants to spice things up, but not if it has the price of playability. I want a Zelda/Shiek or seperate character, either of which are fine and I don't see a problem doing either one besides both strategies being used already.

icymatt

Smash Lord
Kurizu208 said:
That would be dummer. The trailer shows exactly how it happens. Lets just hope zamus is worht it to do all that just play as her.
We don't know if that's 'exactly' how it happens, though. That part of the trailer could be purely cinematic.

Plus, as others have mentioned, this method would be very problematic.

Kurizu208

Smash Journeyman
Kabyk-Greenmyst said:
I still REALLY hope the 'hadoken turns Samus into Zamus' is a bunch of bull. The Supers are going to be able to be turned off or they're going to be a rare comodity if default in all stages. Both of which are horrible ways of getting a character.

I know Sakurai wants to spice things up, but not if it has the price of playability. I want a Zelda/Shiek or seperate character, either of which are fine and I don't see a problem doing either one besides both strategies being used already.
The site even says under a speacail conditon and the trailer shows that. im asuming that the item isnt turn offable as well. Zamus isnt a "qoute" not a pure character additon" unqoute" so i doubt zamus is suposed to be like zeld/sheik in anyway.

Kurizu208

Smash Journeyman
colbusman said:
they'll probably do something that involves damage or something. they wouldn't do a super since that item is probably going to be very rare, and some may not want to play with them on.
Highly doubt it.

TLHM

Smash Cadet
Kurizu208 said:
The site even says under a speacail conditon and the trailer shows that. im asuming that the item isnt turn offable as well. Zamus isnt a "qoute" not a pure character additon" unqoute" so i doubt zamus is suposed to be like zeld/sheik in anyway.
yes "not a pure character addition." For all you know, this could just mean its another samus, andas samus is already in the game, it isn't really a pure new character. Sorta like YL wasn't a pure character addition.

And the trailer WAS a trailer. it was movie stuff and not real gameplay when Zamus came. I don't expect to have MK be able to turn invisible and I doubt snake will be able to hide in the background for too long. The item probably is turn-offable, or at least it should be, as otherwise, the whole match could just be dependant on luck and who gets the item. Thus, the transformation is probably not triggered by the brawl move. And as any onther inigame way would require a loss of one of samus' moves, or some wierd way that wouldn't let you be Zamus when you want to be, Zamus will probably be another character, like YL was.

Kurizu208

Smash Journeyman
TLHM said:
yes "not a pure character addition." For all you know, this could just mean its another samus, andas samus is already in the game, it isn't really a pure new character. Sorta like YL wasn't a pure character addition.

And the trailer WAS a trailer. it was movie stuff and not real gameplay when Zamus came. I don't expect to have MK be able to turn invisible and I doubt snake will be able to hide in the background for too long. The item probably is turn-offable, or at least it should be, as otherwise, the whole match could just be dependant on luck and who gets the item. Thus, the transformation is probably not triggered by the brawl move. And as any onther inigame way would require a loss of one of samus' moves, or some wierd way that wouldn't let you be Zamus when you want to be, Zamus will probably be another character, like YL was.
No no no no. A pure character addition means be its own stand alone character selectablin the character menu. By zamus not being one that implys she is a branch of of smaus mean zamus needs samus to do something in order to change. The supermove method makes the most sense to the metroid series. Samus' supermove uses up all of samus' power and the suit falls off revaling the woman in it. I would so bet money on the fact that samus has to use her super move to turn into zamus. However im sure they may add in a cheat to turn into zamus rigth away like sheik had. (holding down the b button after you selected the stage.)If enough people hate how she transforms.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom