• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Confirmed Character Discussion (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

the Marronator

Smash Ace
Yay, I like thoes characters they added.

But it is sortof sad about them taking out some characters. GaW was one of my favorites (partially because everyone underestimates him and so I make like $30 in money matches from him).

As for ICs, they are very original. Too bad they turned all dumb because of chaingrabbing. That is one thing I really wish they would take out.... but not the ICs!

magnebula

Smash Journeyman
ok, I NEED a confirmation... are ICs, YLink, and G&W really taken out? if so, can some1 give me a link to a verifiable source? sorry if this has been asked countlessly....

Luiginater

Smash Apprentice
magnebula said:
ok, I NEED a confirmation... are ICs, YLink, and G&W really taken out? if so, can some1 give me a link to a verifiable source? sorry if this has been asked countlessly....

no one knows yet so don't worry

Sensai

Smash Master
Wow...I get off the board for a day, and I come back in flames.

Y. Link, I'm fine with. Glad he's gone.

G/W, I'm fine with. Glad he's gone.

IC's? The hell?

#HBC | marshy

wanted for 3rd degree swag
BRoomer
Lightsaberboy said:
but Baby Bowser could be a clone of Bowser. Celda link will prolly be the same as Y. Link but with the WW look.
I doubt Baby Bowser would be a clone of Bowser, he would suck too much. His stats would be something like this.

Strength: 3 Speed: 4 Weight: 2 Height: 2 Jump: 4 Range: 1 Overall: 3

Ok, these stats aren't that bad but his range is what really kills him. Bowser wasn't exactly the best-ranged character, probably the worst and Baby Bowser wouldn't be any better.

However, if he used his staff from Super Mario Sunshine...then he would be a very good character.

Strength: 3 Speed: 4 Weight: 2 Height: 2 Jump: 4 Range: 3 Overall: 4

Maybe these stats are a little weird, but it makes sense to me. Except I wouldn't play as him that much because of his small stature...

felix45

Smash Lord
HourglassMemory said:
It annoys me that Ice Climbers seem to be candidates for revomal. The Ice Climbers are very original . Two characters in 'one', the only ones in the game with this ability. Game and watch is original too. They should keep those characters....they have attacks of their own, they didn't "steal" anyone's moves. Now Pichu, Dr.Mario and Young Link..They did.
Ganondorf is an exception because I know he has WAY more stuff in him than cloning Capt. Falcon's moves. But Pichu can't really be original. they might change his attacks...but it will always be thunder here, lightning there. Dr.Mario and Young Link are just stronger clones.
This game shouldn't be about popularity. It should be about originality.

well said on all of that.

personally I'd rather keep just IC's and G&W than to get rid of them and add those new characters...IC's are fun to play as, so is G&W.

The_TooCool_Master

Smash Apprentice
Lightsaberboy said:
but Baby Bowser could be a clone of Bowser. Celda link will prolly be the same as Y. Link but with the WW look.
Bowser Jr. could be a Bowser clone? Wait, do we play the same games? Because in my Mario games, Bowser Jr. doesn't attack like Bowser. Actually, he's a whole different character. Bowser Jr. doesn't spit fire(or if he does, there's NO way it can be like Bowser's). Grab and Slash? Bowser Jr. is too small for this. Spinning Fortress? Gimme a break. His Slam SMB3 move? You do realize Bowser Jr's size, right?

Bowser Jr. will use this to do his moves.

Also, Sakurai said all the clones would get new moveset. Why would he bring Celda Link in if it's to give him the same ****ing moveset? And why would he change all the clones's moveset and bring in new clones?

It's called logic.

Aristo1413

Smash Rookie
OMG i am in a post...hi mom....but seriously just to mess up this whole conversation, i think BOO should be in this **** game

how come i dont have any cool things below my post...=( can some one help me with my profile since im a nooblet

Aristo1413

Smash Rookie

o i forgot, HI PPL MY NAME IS ARISTO AND I WUV SUPER SMASH FOR BOTH THE N64 AND GAMECUBE *smiles at the comp freakishly* i dont have a web cam so ppl dont ask to see me dance.... :chuckle:

:lick: wtf man?

Sporkman

Smash Ace
Ok, ive been a strong activist in trying to keep this thread on topic, like the creator wanted, none the less, with my efforts ignored, i will try to clear up this debacle that has arisen.

1) The rumour has apparently* been deemed fake, false, fallacious, whatever your preference of word, not real. This has supposedly* come from the rumour maker.

* I have used terms such as 'apparently' and 'supposedly' because i cannot be bothered to go to the original site that posted the rumour first.

2) The problems with 'WindWaker' Link.

Cel-shading wouldn't work, especially around lots of detailed 3D models of Nintendo's finest. For example, Pit from Brawl, and Ice Climbers from Melee, underwent drastic changes to appearence to fit in with their respective games. If you look at Peach, you'll notice her dress is alot more intricate from any game shes previously been in. Smash Bros. likes to work on a characters wardrobe and appearence, when you return with 'cel-shaded' Link from a trip down-town to buy some new threads and what not, you end up with Young Link with sleeves and trousers beneath his tunic, along with different shield and sword designs. Not to mention, as previously stated by someone else, Cel-shaded characters reflect light in a completely different way to 3D character models, although, i have no doubt that it is possible to mix cel-shaded and 3D somehow. And lets not mention how crap he would look next to all these wonderfully done up people.

Unfortunately, in a narrow sense, the Legend of Zelda: WindWaker was extremely succesful, i myself enjoyed it, although, unlike everyone else, i do not condone a cel-shaded appearence in smash brothers. It worries me that, if there has been enough support for this character Sakurai will throw him in, feed the mob, succomb to their wishes. Society is a dumb nucleus, going with only group mentality, personifying that of a 12 year old boy, giddy that he has the chance to put his 'favey-wavey video game character into a game', this thought-line bullies and diminishes that of the intelligent person, the realist, the person who has respectable ideas of what is a step in the right direction. People dont realize what they are doing, the majority want WindWaker Link because it was the last Zelda they played, its the 'new' look, they've had enough of Ocarina of Time appearences. But they dont realize, before they play Brawl, they will mostly likely play Twilight Princess, which has a very different take on appearence. WindWaker Link will be forgotten, and people will want Twilight Princess .. who has already made an appearence.

For me, the best step is to have just the one Link, dressed from Twilight Princess, with all other legend of zelda character appearences, thats Zelda herself and Ganondorf, following suit. But like i said, crazed crys for the cel-shaded may be enough to brutalize this suggestion out of contention.

3) The removal of the Ice Climbers. A perposterus idea if ever i saw one. Although i have noticed alot of people seem to dislike them, however it might be safe to say these people have played no more then the adventure modes with them. One you realize how your controlling, the Ice Climbers are fun to play, and the mallets are fun and lovingly powerful. One of Ninendo's older cast appearences, a removal would be an unwise decision, with Pit the replacement according the rumour (a point left out by most sites). Why remove a classic character to add another? odd dont you think? would it not be better to have them squaring off against each other in true old school style? for me, its a certain yes. Most people on the 'lower' forums, and sites where comments appear, are quick to jump at the chance of criticizing the fact there are two Ice Climbers makes them hard to play with and nothing but a gimmick, only to suggest, baby mario and baby luigi to step in and make do as the two-characters in one. If Nintendo were to take away one of the most original characters of the series it would be a serious back-step, especially as most replacements are likely to be more generic.

4) Mr. Game & Watch is an icon for Nintendo, his inclusion in melee a shock, but a welcome one none the less. Young gamers have never heard of Mr. Game & Watch, and being only 17 myself, i cant say i have either. But i dont know taking him out would be wrong. The only person stopping Game & Watch being Mr. Nintendo is Mario himself.

It annoys to no end, to know that people are so strongly rooted in what they believe is right, that they then impose that on other people with surprising success. I hope everyone here realizes that Mr. Game & Watch's moves are not all that original. B-moves aside, a closer look is quite reveling, the Up-smash is reminiscent of Luigi's, whilst the black mans dair is not too disimilar from that of Link. His grab, appears to be the exact same as Ness's. Im sure if everyone looked they can find alot more similarities with Mr. Game & Watch's move-set.

5) Marshigio and the mesmerizing booty in his sig have already established that Bowser Jr. would not make a good clone of Bowser, so ill will look at something else. When people hear Bowser Jr. or Baby Bowser they think of Baby Mario and Baby Luigi. However, Bowser Jr. has more merit then those two and is more worthy of a stand alone. Bowser Jr has actually appeared against Mario without Baby Mario (or Baby Luigi) in the game. This of course being Super Mario Sunshine. People should stop associating Bowser Jr. with the baby forms of Mario and Luigi.

I for one, wouldn't mind seeing Bowser Jr. being avaible for Super Smash Bros. Brawl, he looks quite the sprite, reminding me of a feisty scrappy doo.

Right now, thats all i have to say. Hope it told people something, and help them realize that some ideas that have are might not be in the best interests of smash bros. as a whole. I'd like to point out here however, that i am not actaully trying to piss on anyone's parade.

Finally, a rumour is a rumour, and i said in another post how its not actually confirmed, if it were it wouldnt be a rumour etc. so please, and ive asked nicely, do not respond to it as though it has been set in stone.

Luiginater

Smash Apprentice
Aristo1413 said:
OMG i am in a post...hi mom....but seriously just to mess up this whole conversation, i think BOO should be in this **** game

how come i dont have any cool things below my post...=( can some one help me with my profile since im a nooblet
you should try going onto the faq search to find info, its helpful. oh and just so you know you shouldnt double post.

Kabyk-Greenmyst

Smash Lord
Wow, amazing job Sporkman. Might as well close the rumour folks, we have a winner! But alas, you didn't talk about Ridley, who I'm against. I've stated it before, and I'm sure others will too. He's just a raptor-like alien with no personality. How the hell are you going to fit that into a game like Smash Bros? but meh, I'm just going to get beat down, oh well.

Of course, I haven't played the Metroid games, so I'm just assuming no personality. Whatever.

You go Sporkman!

icymatt

Smash Lord
I think Ridley could be cool, as he would be the first real 'monster' to join the cast.

And really, Ridley has more personality than the Ice Climbers.

Sporkman

Smash Ace
Thanks Kabyk-Greenmyst, can i call you Kabyk? :grin:

I didnt mention Ridley fora various reasons.

For starters, i dont actually have a problem with him being included! in fact, im quite a strong supporter of him going in.

Although i feel its best to point out, like you, ive never played the metroid games. Ok thats a lie, ive played about ten minutes of the gamecube one but all the scanning wasnt in my taste. MY first glimpse of Ridley was the opening sequence of Super Smash Bros. Melee, there he was about the same size as samus, which means ill never have this size issue (though apparently, in his first appearence, ridley WAS the same size as samus). Im an admirer of his trophy in melee and seriously hope he is in Brawl.

For the personality thing, gotta say im the opposite, the opening sequence showed lots of nintendo characters against their almost as famous rivals, such as the fist of Ganondorf (showing the triforce of power) and Wolf O'Donell (i think thats his name) squaring off with Fox.
Ridley is just Samus's rival for me and i imagine these two often meet in the Metroid games.

Kabyk-Greenmyst said:
How the hell are you going to fit that into a game like Smash Bros?
:laugh: Ive seen alot of other people use this response in various threads so ill just regurgitate quickly, the only thing that doesnt fit in smash bros. is realistic stuff. you have a highly charged rodent which can only articulate 3 syllables, A plumber with moustache who rescues princess from spiny reptillian kings in his spare time, and pink air bubble ... another pink air bubble, a Fox man and a Bird man who are able to fly space ships, not to mention the giant ape, psychic kid and a sexy bounty hunter.

finally, i dont know what you mean by beat down ;) i can only assume is the (c)rap equivelant of Rock On, now who wants to listen to some F*****G HEAVY METAL! :smash:

Aristo1413

Smash Rookie
i cant stand using the Ice Climbers, its annoying and for someone like me i get confused playing with them

Tho it is pretty fun to have 4 Ice Climbers making it 8 all together, Ridley would pwn them! :laugh:

burrito

Smash Lord
About Wind Waker Link, Mixing 3D and Cel-shading actually isn't that impossible. For example, they use it with Midna in Twilight Princess. The only reason that Pit, Ice Climbers and even Peach were updated is because they really want to show off the graphics. I'm sure they could do the same with sel-shaded Link, but still keep him cel-shaded. They could make the cel-shading crisp and really stand out. I also liuke the idea of WW Link being in this game because he DOESN'T fit in with the other characters' styles. I like Mr.Game & Watch for the same reason. It's all about variety.

The_TooCool_Master

Smash Apprentice
Exactly. The game would be actually better if each character would keep the feel of his game instead of being turned into a Smash character. Wind Waker Link would actually be an awesome character because of this. He'd stand out, yes, but in a good way.

dj asakura

Smash Ace
i dont liek the talk of removing Dr. Mario, ok, sure he is a clone, but hes a VERY widely used clone. IC's are original, game and watch you dont see a lot of and y. link is a total clone.

but not teh doctor for teh love of pete, teh one character i liek and finally use competetively and you want to nix him...for shame

piZ

Smash Journeyman
burrito said:
About Wind Waker Link, Mixing 3D and Cel-shading actually isn't that impossible.
QFT. Take a look at the game "Dark Cloud." I'm pretty sure it was cel shaded characters with traditional backgrounds.

I was thinking about Ganon.. To keep him in and pull away from his Falcon clone-ness, they should update his moveset and give him that big lurkin' sword that he waves around in his victory animations. Of course, it would be heavy and likely need some lag, but be pretty powerful. (Well, like all Ganon's moves, i guess.) But it would add a nice new character to the game, without having to knock off good ol' Ganny.

piZ

Smash Journeyman
Well, i guess i do now. ;)

I need to start taking into account the fact that this IS the biggest smash bros. community, and start assuming everything has been mentioned...

Sporkman

Smash Ace
Sporkman said:
i have no doubt that it is possible to mix cel-shaded and 3D somehow.
I dont believe its impossible to mix the two as i said there ^
however, i dont feel its a step in the right direction, just on the one Link should be fine, cause i think after everyones played Twilight Princess, its all they're gonna want.

The_TooCool_Master

Smash Apprentice
Sporkman said:
I dont believe its impossible to mix the two as i said there ^
however, i dont feel its a step in the right direction, just on the one Link should be fine, cause i think after everyones played Twilight Princess, its all they're gonna want.
To be fair, there's actually 2 Links. The old Link and the young Link. The old Link will be present in Twilight Princess and the Young Link will be present in Phantom Hourglass on the DS. Phantom Hourglass is in cel-shading and it's a direct sequel to Wind Waker. They both come from very different series and they both use different items. They also both have different fans. And since Young Link was in Melee and Wind Waker Link is one of the most wanted character(or at least, the character to replace Young Link), it would only be fitting to see him in the game.

Kurizu208

Smash Journeyman
The_TooCool_Master said:
To be fair, there's actually 2 Links. The old Link and the young Link. The old Link will be present in Twilight Princess and the Young Link will be present in Phantom Hourglass on the DS. Phantom Hourglass is in cel-shading and it's a direct sequel to Wind Waker. They both come from very different series and they both use different items. They also both have different fans. And since Young Link was in Melee and Wind Waker Link is one of the most wanted character(or at least, the character to replace Young Link), it would only be fitting to see him in the game.
But its pointless to have two links.

Kurizu208

Smash Journeyman
Kabyk-Greenmyst said:
Uhh....the whole point of WW Link is to be UNIQUE FROM ADULT LINK, who has been pointed out to be A COMPLETE DIFFERENT CHARACTER.

Obviously. :laugh:
It doesnt matter if he is differnt its ****** and useless for two of the same character. it doesnt matter if his attacks are differnt he is still link and one is more then plenty.

burrito

Smash Lord
I would actually find it extrememly bothersome if they just had adult Link. Young Link has always been the real Link. Link was originally a kid. I find it kind of weird that they made Link an adult in both of the newest Smash Bros. games.

Kurizu208

Smash Journeyman
burrito said:
I would actually find it extrememly bothersome if they just had adult Link. Young Link has always been the real Link. Link was originally a kid. I find it kind of weird that they made Link an adult in both of the newest Smash Bros. games.
link was a adult in the first sb too. they have adult link in the games cause they like to use the newest forms. and link is all adult in the new game.

burrito

Smash Lord
Kurizu208 said:
link was a adult in the first sb too. they have adult link in the games cause they like to use the newest forms. and link is all adult in the new game.
Actually, Link's newest form wasn't an adult when Melee came out. Did you forget about Majora's Mask? Even when SSB64 came out, Link was only a kid during half of the game. It makes more sense for it to be Young Link because they should capture the character that we know and remember. It makes a lot of since for them to include WW Link because his concept has been used for a lot of games and has become very popular. Additionally, I'm not sure if you realize this, but WW Link and TP Link are not actually the same person according to their games, they just happen to share the same default name. WW Link is the hero of winds not the hero of time.

Kabyk-Greenmyst

Smash Lord
Kurizu208 said:
OK....however you obviously haven't realized that both Adult and Young Link are getting new games. Though Twilight Princess is a lot more 'mainstream,' there is a new game coming out for WW Link as well! Phantom Hourglass for DS, an exact sequal to WW.

NOW how do you feel about WW Link in Brawl since he is also a 'new form'?

supermariopro101

Smash Journeyman
Kurizu208 said:
It doesnt matter if he is differnt its ****** and useless for two of the same character. it doesnt matter if his attacks are differnt he is still link and one is more then plenty.
There were two Marios in Melee and no one complained about it. I imagine they won't be complete clones. All link games have different sets of items or at least a better looking version of an item. Since TP and PH will have different items and SSBB is trying to have some of these features for the both links in the game, I think it's safe to say they will have different enough moves sets. ;)

Kurizu208

Smash Journeyman
Kabyk-Greenmyst said:
OK....however you obviously haven't realized that both Adult and Young Link are getting new games. Though Twilight Princess is a lot more 'mainstream,' there is a new game coming out for WW Link as well! Phantom Hourglass for DS, an exact sequal to WW.

NOW how do you feel about WW Link in Brawl since he is also a 'new form'?
i already knew about that but its pointless to have two of the same person in the game.

icymatt

Smash Lord
Kurizu208 said:
i already knew about that but its pointless to have two of the same person in the game.
Technically, WW Link and TP Link are two completely different people.

Sensai

Smash Master
icymatt said:

That's getting pretty technical. And philosophical, too.

Are we all really who we think we are?

Had to throw it in. Think about it!

Kurizu208

Smash Journeyman
icymatt said:
Not really TP is just a wise more mature wwlink a 7 year differnce doesnt make young link that speacail.

and on the zamus that is just samus removing her suit. if there were to do link and y link like samus and zamus that be fine. but young link and link are two differnt slectable characters. And samus changes into zamus under certin conditions. so they are both completly differnt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom