• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Condors, Eggplants, and Chaingrabs~ The NEW Ice Climbers Guide~!

DemonicTrilogy

Smash Lord
Truthfull, I would say you just have to practice it to the point where your chaingrab is as fast as lain's if you are to make it inescapable. Some people are REALLY good at mashing so you have to be prepared for that.

LiL.Will

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ZOMGitzWill
3DS FC
2208-5740-6357
Wow this guide was very detailed I just decided to quit MK and go to IC's because they're sooo fun but now I just read the match-ups so I have a good Main and secondary can't wait to get seriously good at juggle trapping my opponents its gonna be so aggravating to them. :bee:

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
Yeahhhhh I really need to update this. I'll start working on that now.

penguin_and_panda

Smash Apprentice
Great guide!!! I use the classic controller, u mentioned the difficulty of grabbing with wiimote, wiichuck and the gamecubed. Would is be easy, middle or hard to chaingrab with the classic controller? thanks

penguin_and_panda

Smash Apprentice
How much more detailed do you people want for these CG explanations? Like, it's mostly practice. You tilt to make Nana turn, throw, then re-grab. Just practice[/b]. The chaingrabs aren't easy to learn at all,

I know this message was posted ages ago but it's true. Chain grabs is something you need to practice, theres no quick way out of it.

lain

Smash Master
Well guys I placed 2nd (behind Ally) in the MW:East circuit, am currently in 1st in the MW:West circuit, 5th on east coast circuit, and 1st in the Ohio circuit.

=_= I. Love. Circuits.

a male platypus

Smash Apprentice
Just read through nearly the whole thing and you guys have a very nice topic for telling us IC's noobies how to play :) I'm impressed.

Also, during the FAQ's isn't Melee1 good enough to be considered one of the best IC's?

Cmthomas12

Smash Rookie
thx for this post im good at chain grabbing and desyncing now my friends now will never play me at brawl cuz they know ill be ics and they hate me

theunabletable

Smash Lord
This guide is good, but... why no info on pivot grabbing? It can be so useful; I'd expect atleast a mention on this guide.

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
Yeah, I'm kinda in over my head with these threads, lol. x__x;; It'll be updated by the end of the week.

swordgard

Smash Hero
Yeah, I'm kinda in over my head with these threads, lol. x__x;; It'll be updated by the end of the week.
Is it too much to ask to put me with lain and meep i guess in the best ics section?
I did take out a set off ally unlike meep and lain only took 1 match with ics the only set he won vs him while the second set he got 2 stocked with ics. I also place consistently well.
Or will it have to wait till i go out of country(canada lacks tourney T.T) and place in usa?

EDIT: During gaming day at my school friday il be posting some new techs with ics.

lain

Smash Master
Wow swordgard, I'm just kinda appalled at what you just said ROFL.

FYI, just because you beat Ally in ONE set doesn't mean anything. I've beaten him in multiple sets, along with being M2K. You can't just win a single set, and beg to be "put in the pro group" or something. You don't ASK for that. It comes with placing well and beating lots of people. Asking for it is sad.

Oh, and AFAIK I'm the only person to beat both players (m2k+ally)

o-Serin-o

I think 56 nights crazy
IC-wise?

Also, didn't you also use D3 as a Snake secondary at the time?

Otherwise, ADHD says hi.

CO18

Smash Hero
Yeah I did use DDD vs Ally. But can you name any DDD that has ever come close to beating him?
I think i can.

Also not to start any wars but Ally did say he thinks swordgard would prob be the best ics if he could travel.

Though his CANADIANISM prob makes it a lil biased but it would be interesting nonetheless.

swordgard

Smash Hero
I think i can.

Also not to start any wars but Ally did say he thinks swordgard would prob be the best ics if he could travel.

Though his CANADIANISM prob makes it a lil biased but it would be interesting nonetheless.
True, he might be biased, that il agree its probable.

But otherwise, i have been placing consistantly well over her. I know everyone thinks canada is **** save for ally but it really is not the case. Also, you only beat ally in 1 tourney set if i recall right. Now, here is what ally said: I dont know for other matchups, but you are the best at the snake one.

That is all he said, i dont want to misquote him or anything. I dont mind asking for it, cause otherwise most people would even forget its in that guide. Not only that, but i am consistently improving so far in an environment which constitutes only of the worst of ics matchups (rob+snakes >.<!). Now I know you still think you would own holynightmare which is why you see my matches vs him as pretty much irrelevant but fact is you have not played him in a long time. I beat ally recently, you have not done it in a long time(not since lucario is pawsome). I have been placing consistently well. I have no trouble with claiming i am probably on the pro level. I went to ontario, losing only to holy there twice. Wont happen anymore though ^.^, have not lost to him this tourney nor the one before.

swordgard

Smash Hero
Are you supposed to be in the brawl backroom? lol was it a mistake?
No its simply super ironic cause i got into melee back room for my anti ban argument and demolishing many of praxis/chibo sempais ban argument for the MK discussion, due to my reasonning abilities while i really sucks at melee(but have been so far able to theorize well enough to not look stupid in the backroom due to knowledge of mechanics). On the other hand, i got recommended into brawl back room by a couple of people, have placings and i know how to play the game, advanced ics metagame, but am not in it >.<

Sieguest

Smash Master
No its simply super ironic cause i got into melee back room for my anti ban argument and demolishing many of praxis/chibo sempais ban argument for the MK discussion, due to my reasonning abilities while i really sucks at melee(but have been so far able to theorize well enough to not look stupid in the backroom due to knowledge of mechanics). On the other hand, i got recommended into brawl back room by a couple of people, have placings and i know how to play the game, advanced ics metagame, but am not in it >.<
I'm not gonna lie, that's too funny, too good Swordgard.

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
You mind taking this to the social thread or whatever?

Bunny :3 said:
A stall and fall move where the Ice Climbers drop down quickly with their hammers.
Damage: 13%
Range: Crap
I don't get why teasing the character's worst move is so funny :laugh::laugh::laugh:

jameschen0

Smash Rookie
Great guide; however, I'd like to ask/question two things:
1. How exactly is the wiichuck set-up harder than the GC controller set-up for chaingrabs? Although it is difficult if you change the D-pad to smashes or something of the sort, D-pad-right/left is a grab button. As attacking with the A-button is not required for chaingrabs (besides finishing, which is plausible with the wiichuck, as you can finish in the same fashion as with the gamecube controller), nor is it required for hobbling (as both of the B and C buttons are not affected by the finger on the D-pad).
2. Just wondering, but shouldn't the D-throw>Jump>Forward aerial be labeled as a chaingrab? Even though it only works for about 3 throws, shouldn't it still be included, as it usually racks up damage faster than the other chaingrabs? Also, shouldn't it be labeled as a finisher as well, since it can kill before the up-smash on final destination near the edge?
Just curious, as I think that type of chaingrab is easier to master than the d/b/f-throw chaingrabs; feel free to disregard this comment.

1.) Duh, no c-stick which is harder to smash, wiichuk D-pad is somewhat hard to press compared to the Z button of GC and if this is wrong.

GC is easier nuff said

Smasher89

Smash Lord
Wiichuck= wireless=frame loss(takes time for the game to react from when you pressed the buttons)=frame advantage for the opponent=even harder to time and grab

That is one reason why a GCcontroller is clearly superior to use...

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
I'm gonna skim over this tonight and fix some stuff up.

Top Bottom